<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

seed starting 2012

January 14 2012 at 10:36 AM
  (Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

It isn't too early to start seeds of plants that take quite a while to mature as seedlings - Agastaches, woody and dieback perennial salvias.

Salvia ex Ultra Violet - seeded 1/8 - nothing 1/27, looks like seed isn't viable.

Salvia ex Silke's Dream - seeded 1/8 - 7 sprouts 1/15, 22 sprouts and first true leaves 1/18 - 23 into cells 2/1. The seedling appear to be highly variable, most have toothed leaf edges but several have smooth as if some greggii was sneaking around. Some have hairy leaves others don't. The 6 inch and taller cuttings went into individual pots 2/13. On 2/20 all were cut back to around three sets of side-shoots, they had gotten too tall.

Agastache ex "Ava" - seeded 1/8 - 6 sprouts 1/18 - 9 sprouts 1/27 the oldest forming first true leaves - 10 seedlings potted up into cells 2/3, the best of the lot are already on 3rd set of leaves and side-shoots. 2/20 the two tallest were moved out of 4-packs and into their own 3 inch pots. These seedlings have grown faster than any Agastache I have ever grown from seed.

Salvia ex Royal Bumble - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia ex Penny's Smile - seeded 1/15 - 1 seedling 1/22 - into 3 inch pot 2/23, cutting taken 2/20, rooted 3/10.

Salvia ex Peter Vidgeon - seeded 1/15 - 1 seedling 1/22 - still rather small 2/21 - stem rot killed it.

Salvia Oppositiflora - seeded 1/15 - 4 seedlings 1/25 - the 4 are still quite small 2/20, 3 surviving 3/22.

Salvia Nana - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Pepper Ancho - seeded 3/3, failure

Pepper Anaheim - seeded 3/3. germination 3/15

Pepper California Wonder - seeded 3/3, germination 3/15, into cells 4/1

Pepper Czechoslovakian Black - seeded 3/3, germinated 3/12, into cells 4/1

Pepper Chervena Chushka - seeded 3/3, a few germinated 3/26

Pepper Travelers Strain Jalapeno - seeded 3/3, germination 3/15, into cells 4/5

Coreopsis levenworthii - seeded 3/3, sprouting 3/9, into cells 3/29

Salvia guaranitica Santa Maria - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia sp form Catmarca - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia vitifolia - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout.

Salvia splendens Yvonne's - 2 4-inch pots oversown 3/4, first sprout 3/10. Ready for transplant to cells 3/28

Gaillardia Amber Wheels - 4 year old seed unlikely to sprout 3/4, germination 3/14, a few damped off, always a problem with Gailardia.

Petunia exserta - sown 3/18, germination 3/22, 31 into cells 4/6

Tropical Milkweed - sown 3/18, scatter germination 3/2

3 new Salvia guaranitica types - sown 3/13, germination 3/16 on two types, but not the 3rd. The 3rd type, one seedling, germination 3/29. 10 Cosqin into cells 4/8

Salvia subrotunda White - sown 3/25

Salvia subrotunda - sown 3/25

Salvia coccinea Tall - sown 3/25, one sprout 4/3

This message has been edited by WardDa on Apr 8, 2012 9:14 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 30, 2012 9:14 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 25, 2012 8:36 PM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 22, 2012 9:01 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 10, 2012 7:26 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 9, 2012 4:25 PM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 4, 2012 7:59 PM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 3, 2012 11:49 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Feb 21, 2012 6:10 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Feb 4, 2012 7:08 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Jan 28, 2012 10:59 AM
This message has been edited by WardDa on Jan 20, 2012 4:31 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: seed starting 2012

January 14 2012, 12:32 PM 

And for those that do wintersowing, this is a good time to get started especially if you are in that post holiday slump.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

January 14 2012, 1:02 PM 

Ah - Ward's been a busy guy!!

Well, I transplanted some seedlings yesterday...a friend gave me seedlings of Fuchsia boliviana & I picked out a dozen of them and moved them into a mini domed greenhouse that holds 2 six-packs. They'll continue to live indoors under fluorescent lights until May or June.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchsia_boliviana

Reading the info in the linked site above, I've surmised I won't see blooms until late Summer or Fall - right in the midst of when everything else is blooming. Now that I've worked with those seedlings, maybe I'll look thru my seed stash and consider starting a few that are slow to get going. But I'll remember last year's lesson: don't plant seeds too early!

Penny, thanks for the winter-sowing reminder. I have opium poppy seeds to direct-seed in a few places in the backyard.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Jan 15, 2012 1:29 PM
This message has been edited by Celtguy on Jan 14, 2012 1:05 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 15 2012, 6:16 AM 

I wonder what the fruits taste like. Presumably your Anna's will enjoy tipping up to feed on those pendant flowers too.

It is a good reminder on winter sowing, I need to check my seeds. There will be no planting of Zinnias and such now, that is a mistake you only make once or is it two or three times. Until the past few days the weather was warm enough for outdoor sowing and several types of perennial milkweed seed went in. I need to talk to a friend about more milkweed seed to sow in flats to be stored in the garage for cold treatment.

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 15 2012, 2:54 PM 

Silly question, but I assume all of you starting from seed are either using heat lamps or green houses?

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 15 2012, 3:05 PM 

No heat lamps here. The flats are on shelves in the basement with low hanging shop lights. My heat cable doesn't appear to be working but so close to the lights the soil surface temperature must be close to 70F.

(Login Pennytoo)

January 15 2012, 4:33 PM 

No heat lamps, No heat cables, and no green house here. Mine will be done on the rack in front of the kitchen french doors when I can get motivated enough to start.

Stuff that I will winter sow will go out on the unheated front porch.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jan 15, 2012 5:00 PM

(Login Celtguy)

January 15 2012, 6:57 PM 

My sitch is similar to Ward's. No heat lamps, but my fluorescent lights are in a 2-tiered plant stand in my bedroom, so we're talking indoor temps, augmented by warmth from the lights/ballasts. When I operate the upper tier, some of the heat from the lower tier creates bottom heat for that upper level. I do have a heat mat designed for plants, but it runs on the hot side, so I'm cautious about using it except for seedlings that really need it.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 16 2012, 5:53 PM 

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm on a rather tight budget this year, so I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with all of the seeds that I harvested this past fall. I wish I had room to set up some kind of growing station with a controlled light, but I think I may just have to use a seed starter kit and go with that. I do have some sunny portions of my house that I can sit the seedlings in.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

January 16 2012, 6:14 PM 

Caro,
That is basically what I do and it works fine.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 16 2012, 6:53 PM 

Some things like Zinnias if you grow them can just be direct seeded into the garden. Coccinea can work too although the last couple of years they have been very late.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 17 2012, 1:59 PM 

Same here no heat lamps, heat tape or cables just old fashioned shoplights which are simple and get the job done. Besides using flats Ive used taco salad containers, butter cups or similar containers from time to time.

I also have winter sowed before and it works but I prefer starting seed under lights where I can control everything and sort of have a hand in it. With winter sowing you just sow and forget them till spring letting nature take over. But its all good.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 20 2012, 7:49 PM 

i'll be adding to this post and also wishing ward a happy birthday today Jan 20th .. i missed sending a message out from work today

as for seed starting indoors ...

i have found that the "cheap" shop lights in the basement (ie temp around 55 degrees) ... does work .. well .... just get the lights close to the soil at first and move them away as they grow .... ) ... prior years i've left them on all the time .. this year i'm shutting them off at night

i never had luck growing in front of windows ...

other thing to be sure you do is water enough once they start to grow ... but be careful about covering the soil before the seeds pop up ... it's not uncommon to get mildew on the soil .. something you really don't want

i won't be starting any seeds til after i get back from GA .. i've got my 2nd grandson and 3rd grandchild .. due on Feb 5th .. and plan to be away for at least 7 days .... it's difficult enough to find someone to care for the 4 cats, 2 dogs, 3 parakeets, and 5 guinea pigs ... if i throw in ... watering seedlings .. ummmm that sure doesn't work ... (hopefully the cuttings & non hardy plants will be ok .... they too are in the basement under the lights .. keeping the guinea pigs company )

Vicki
Edgewater Park, NJ

(Login 1brewerfan)
Hummingbird lover 2011

January 20 2012, 10:33 PM 

I think by reading this I've got my ansewer most of my plants will be started by Feb.1st but won't make it outside til May 20th or so, seemed like a long time!When you by flowers at a garden center in May just wonder when they start them and i know it's in a greenhouse.I've made a 8x8 room in my basement with 4 200 watt cfls and a small space heater it will be crowed when it gets to be end of April this is my first year trying this fingers are crossed! Erik

(Login Pennytoo)

January 21 2012, 6:49 AM 

Erik,
From what I have been told by the very few nurseries here that do their own propagating, they start seeds in Sept. Most order plugs from wholesaleers but I imagine if they do any cuttings from the plants they already have they start those in Sept. also.

I am still sitting on the fence watching the snow fall. Haven't started anything yet nor have I started winter sowing yet....maybe this week end
Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jan 21, 2012 6:51 AM

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 24 2012, 3:53 PM 

Normally I dont start any seeds till march 1st but there is one that I have had difficulty with. I have ordered seeds a while back in fact a double order and I have started those with no real expectations of success, salvia sagittata.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 25 2012, 9:00 AM 

Ok! I have my weekend project lined up! I purchased a Burpee self watering seed starting kit at Home Depot!

Happy Belated Birthday Ward! Thanks for the Zinnia suggestion. I don't have those seeds yet, but they were already on my list to grow for this season. happy.gif

What I hope to be growing from seeds harvested: Navajo Red Salvia Greggi, Lady In Red Salvia, Coral Nymph Salvia, and Black N Blues (precious few seeds there).

I also want to plant some Agastache and Zinnias.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 25 2012, 1:49 PM 

I usually have seed of lady in red, subrotundda and coral nymph. At the sites like burpee it will say "sun, part sun". At my place they have always had full sun and have done ok. But subrotunda and lady in red that I gave my sister turned into monsters, hers were in filtered sunlight. It does make a difference with those. For viewing purposes that is a difficult task here , its either full sun or shade , but I might try the back of the house which will have shade longer during the day.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 25 2012, 3:07 PM 

Anything in the woody salvia class (greggii, microphylla etc) should be planted asap because they take quite some time to reach blooming size the first year. The easiest thing to do is sow them as a group in a single pot and then seperate them into cells when they have a couple of sets of true leaves. The ex Silke's Dream seedlings sown in early January except for those that germinated late now have true leaves and are almost ready for individual cells. EX Agastache 'Ava" isn't very far behind. It is nice to have these things out of the way before the serious propagation begins.

(Login Pennytoo)

January 25 2012, 4:41 PM 

I better get my booty in gear. These grey overcast days seem to hinder me from seed starting.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

January 25 2012, 7:46 PM 

I'm afraid to starting anything since I won't have a life back until they fill 2 positions at work. I've been off the last 3 days with some sort of bug & just dread going back to the mess. Working 11 hours most days & this is only the 2nd time on in about 3 months.

I am going to take Ward's advice (Happy Belated, BTW) & start 2 large pots; 1 with Salvias & 1 with Agastaches & see what happens. Maybe I'll grow them on my desk since I'm there more than here. Hopefully I didn't fry last years seedlings that didn't get planted. They are downstairs in my mini greenhouse but my watering has been atrocious.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Changed my mind. Sowed 3/4/12 in plug flats using Pro-Mix potting mix:

Flat 1:
Salvia x miniata (8)
Cuphea schumannii (8) - 1 seeding 3/9 & 1 3/10
Salvia x 'Cherry Chief' (8) - 4 seedlings 3/9
Salvia x 'Raspberry Delight' (8) - 2 seedlings 3/7 & 2 more 3/10
Salvia x 'Scarlet Spires' (8) - 2 seedlings 3/7 & 4 more 3/10
Salvia x 'Puebla Light Rose' (4) - 1 seedling 3/9
Salvia x 'Fuhrman's Red' (4)
Anisacanthus quadrifidus var wrightii (4) - 1 seedling 3/7 & the rest 3/9
Salvia x 'Lipstick' (4) - 1 seedling 3/10
Salvia x 'Orange Door' (4) - 1 seeding 3/8, 1 3/9 & 1 3/10
Salvia x 'Maraschino' (4) - 2 seedlings 3/9
Salvia x 'Mesa Rose' (4) - 3 seedlings 3/8
Salvia x 'Black Cherry' (4) - 2 seedlings 3/8
Salvia x 'Puebla Light Orange' (4) - 3 seedlings 3/8
Salvia x 'La Trinidad Pink' (4) - 3 seedlings 3/8
Coreopsis tinctoria 'Dwarf Fed' (16) 11 seedings 3/7 & last one 3/8
Fuchsia 'Fete Floral'
Salvia coccinea 'Cherry Blossom' (8) 2 seedlings 3/8
Salvia coccinea 'Lady In Red' (12) 1 seedling 3/10
Salvia coccinea 'Hummingbird White'
Ipomoea luteloa (8) 4 seelings 3/7 & the rest 3/8
Stachytarpheta ? 'Dwarf Red' (8)

Flat 2:
Tomato 'Jelly Bean' (8) - 5 seedlings 3/8, 1 3/9
Basil 'Summerlong' (8) - 4 seedlings 3/7, 3 more 3/8 & 1 3/9
Tomato 'Delicious' (8) - 3 seedlings 3/8, 2 more 3/9 & the rest 3/10
Pepper 'Big Dipper' (8)
Pepper 'Melrose' (12)
Pepper 'Melrose' (seed frm last year's plant as a test) (4)
Tomato 'Garden Peach' (8) - 1 seedling 3/8 & 1 3/9
Tomato 'Gardener's Delight' (new for 2012) (4) All germ. 3/8
Tomato 'Tiny Tim' (4)
Pepper 'Color Mix' (8)
Tomato 'Super Beefsteak' (8) - 4 seedlings 3/8, 1 more 3/9
Spinach 'Space hybrid' (4) - 2 seedings 3/8, 1 more 3/9
Origanum vulgare hirtium (4) - All germ. 3/8
Tomato 'San Marzano' (4) - 2 seedlings 3/8 & rest 3/9
Tomato 'Bush Beefsteak' (4) - 3 seedlings 3/8
Tomato 'Sweet 100' (4) - All germ 3/8
Tomato 'Supersteak hybrid' (4) - 2 seedlings 3/8, 1 3/9 & 1 3/10
Tithonia 'Sundance' (8) - All germ. 3/7
Asclepias curvassica 'Scarlet' (8)
Tithonia 'Torch' (8) 6 seedlings 3/7 & 1 3/8
Asclepias curvassica (unknown variety) (8)
Ceratotheca triloba (8) 5 seedlings 3/8, 1 3/9 & 1 3/10
Gloriosa Daisy 'Double Gold' (8) 2 seedlings 3/10

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Mar 11, 2012 1:49 AM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 26 2012, 3:58 PM 

If anyone has any cuphea schumannii seeds to spare I am interested and I do have some seeds to exchange that you might want. I have been on the seed exchange program but no help there.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login NLN)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 26 2012, 4:02 PM 

Steve,

I have plenty of seeds. Just privately send your postal address and I'll get them into the mail. Cuphea schumannii is still blooming here!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

Linda
(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

January 26 2012, 4:27 PM 

I have wintersowed 25 containers already. Today I did cardinal flower, laura bush petunia and
limelight nicotania. Need to find more containers.

Find more about Weather in Virginia Beach, VA
Click for weather forecast

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 28 2012, 6:46 PM 

On the 23rd I went for broke and started all the salvia sagittata I had either they germ or not. Today I see a speck of green and that doesnt mean it will mature it only shows promise. So Im hoping that I will get something out of the 20 or so seeds. Ive not had much luck with these in the past thats why I ordered a double order of seeds.

Update: Today I notice 3 or 4 more specks of green in the seed growing pot of sagittata. The question is will the germination be complete or will they start and fail as I hinted at before Ive had this happen on occasion. Hoping for the best.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Jan 29, 2012 3:14 PM

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 31 2012, 10:51 PM 

Okay! I have all of my important seeds sown now and kits are sitting on top of my refrigerator for germination heat! Heh! I will be most interested to see what happens as I've never done this before. Planted about 46 cells today containing Black N Blue, Lady In Red, Coral Nymph, Navajo Red/Cherry Chief Greggii, Lavendar Agastache and 2 types of Zinnia.

crosses fingers

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 1 2012, 8:44 AM 

I don't want to rain on your parade but it is way too early to be indoor planting Salvia coccinea and Zinnia. They grow far too fast. You might want to put the cells somewhere cold and bring them back out in late March.

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 1 2012, 8:49 AM 

That's good to know, Ward! I had thought as much about the Zinnia, but didn't know about the Salvia coccinea. I'm a total newbie at this!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

February 1 2012, 9:34 AM 

Caro
I agree with Ward. In the past Salvia coccinea are usually up and growing within 7 days. Last year I did mine in late Feb or Early March and by the time I was able to transplant them they were already bushes.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 1 2012, 10:18 AM 

Caro, all of us have been there. Many of our success stories were really stories about pure luck. There is no reason others have to make our mistakes.

(Login Celtguy)

February 1 2012, 4:09 PM 

Caro - another word of caution. While the bottom heat on top of your fridge may be a good idea, as soon as there's some germination, I'd move the seedlings to the best light source you have. If they stay on top of the fridge too long, they may quickly become spindly due to lack of light. That was one of the first/worst lessons I learned about starting seeds indoors. Running that a very close second, was learning not to use garden soil for starting seeds indoors! Oh, the lessons we've learned over the years! lol

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 1 2012, 8:41 PM 

Ward, Penny & Patrick ~ Thanks so much for your input! With this knowledge I will proceed as best I can.

Thankfully, I did do a bit of research before starting my seeds, and was already aware of the use of the fridge heat to germinate the seeds only. Once I see sprouts I will most definitely remove my little greenhouse from there. The sprouts are destined for a sunny south facing spot on my patio.

Patrick ~ Made the mistake last year of trying to plant seeds in peat pots filled with garden soil. I had gotten sprouts, but they soon died. :/ Plus my watering wasn't even. Learned my lesson!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login picaflor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

traveling seeds

February 1 2012, 8:54 PM 

Ward,

It is amazing how far these seeds have travelled!. I found Salvia sp. from Catamarca and S. guaranitica Santa Maria and sent seeds to Robin in the UK and now they are in America! I hope you can enjoy these plants! Good luck.

Rolando

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 2 2012, 5:38 AM 

Rolando, the friend who gave me the seeds only had a few to share and sadly they didn't germinate. If I can get them another year I will try them again. The plants would have been extra special knowing who the collector was. Our gardens rest on the legacy of others' good work but rarely do we get to know who our benefactor is. A friend always includes the name of the person who gave her the plant on her plant labels and they remind me how we are one extended family of gardeners.

Rolando
(Login picaflor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

February 2 2012, 7:28 PM 

Ward,

My S. guaranitica Santa Maria is setting seeds so I can gladly send them to you.

Rolando,.

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 3 2012, 6:24 AM 

Rolando, that is very kind of you. I promise to pass them around once they are established. I will email you my information later today.

Rolando, your name doesn't link to your email address. You can link to my home email by clicking on my name.

This message has been edited by WardDa on Feb 3, 2012 8:37 AM

Rolando
(Login picaflor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

February 3 2012, 8:50 AM 

Ward my e-mail address is: salvias.com.ar(at)gmail.com

Rolando.

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 8 2012, 6:44 AM 

The January 8th seeded ex Scarlet Spires or possibly ex Silke's Dream seedlings now have up to 5 sets of true leaves and are growing beautifully. No two plants are exactly alike. If they keep growing like this they will have to move out of cells into at least 3 inch pots pots by the end of February. The set of ex Agastache Ava are also looking good. These experimental sets of hybrids are a fun use of early propagation space and will be an interesting unknown until they bloom.

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

February 8 2012, 11:30 PM 

I still haven't started a thing & I last Fri. & Sat. were the good days for many plants, especially tomatoes & peppers, when planting by the moon. Not that I notice a difference but figure it can't hurt. Just can't seem to do it on the days & in the timeframe I'm supposed to. If I can start getting on here more often, maybe I'll start a thread on it so I can let peeps know what is good to start & when. I started many woody Salvia seeds last year & although I would say I lost about 1/2 of them (started them in one of those 102 cell flats...think it's 102???). My list just happened to be right next to me & shows I started them 2/26. I had flowers about mid summer & one was pure white. I'm hoping one of my local places I didn't get to last year has the "yellow greggii" that they say they had last year.

I tried the heat mat last year & it did well for some but not for others. (Patrick, you may have hit it...to hot maybe? Need a thermostat...With all this O.T. I've been working, I can afford it).

Zinnas have always been a failure; starting inside or winter-sown. I heard direct sow is the way to go & intend on trying some mass plantings in huge blocks of color.

Also made the big mistake of using seedling mix vs. potting mix. Had the best results with the normal potting mix you plant your mature plants in. I also think I had the best results in my 3-tier mini greenhouse up on a table in the basement with dual mini cabinet lights on each tier. Once I got good growth, I unzipped the door & kept it open.

My #1 favorite seed to start is Ipomoea luteola. Hummers on it constantly all summer & hands-down, the best vine. Got a good supply of seed from them last year. Too early for that yet, too. Germs in about 3 days.

Most interesting last year was Cel-par. Parsley that tastes like celery. Germ was crappy but I did eeek a plant out of it & it really does taste like celery!!

Ward...have multiple types of Milkweed if you're interested. Some unlabeled & unsure of what they are. Know I have common, curvassica, whorled & I know I'm missing more.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 9 2012, 9:48 AM 

Joni

Ive had my heat mat for a few years now that I dont remember how much I paid for it. I also dont know how much good it really does but I do use it, why not.

I always seem to be willing to try new seeds when I can get them and new methods of production, why not!

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 9 2012, 11:22 AM 

My Penny's Smiles has a few true leaves and one bad habit. When my back is turned I can just make out her whispering, something about a thong. When I hear it my mind turns to summer and applications of Roundup.

(Login Pennytoo)

February 9 2012, 11:25 AM 

Ward how long did it take your Penny's Smile seeds to germinate? I was wondering if this is one that requires a bit more patience. The Scarlet Spires seeds spoiled me since they came up so quickly.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 9 2012, 11:54 AM 

The seed, there is only one Penny, came up in about a week. I probably made note of the date in my list at the beginning of this discussion. My limited experience with greggii/microphylla types is they come up soon or not at all. If push comes to shove I will make a cutting for you once Penny as reach the age of consent.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 9 2012, 1:32 PM 

Hummingbird Plants:
Fire pink (Silene virginica) - sowed on Feb. 6, germination began on Feb. 11
Royal catchfly (Silene regia) - sowed on Feb. 14, germination began on Feb. 18
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - sowed on Feb. 14, germination began on Feb. 26

Native Wetland Garden:
Mud plantain (Alisma subcordatum) - sowed Feb. 6
Water arum (Calla palustris) sowed Feb. 6
Common Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) - sowed Feb. 6
Common bur sedge (Carex grayi) - sowed Feb. 6
Common hop sedge (Carex lupulina) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 17
Sallow sedge (Carex lurida) - sowed Feb. 6
Brown fox sedge (Carex vulpinoidea) - sowed Feb. 6
Common rush (Juncus effusus) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 22
Dark-green bulrush (Scirpus atrovirens) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 19
Palm sedge (Carex muskingumensis) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 23
Winged loosestrife (Lythrum alatum) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 17
White turtlehead (Chelone glabra) - sowed Feb. 15, germination began Feb. 22
Tall ironweed (Vernonia gigantea) - sowed Feb. 23
Sweet Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum) - sowed Feb. 23
Hollow-stemmed Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium fistulosum) - sowed Feb. 23

Native Prairie Garden:
Early Figwort (Scrophularia lanceolata) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 15
Late Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 14, all seedlings died, planted more seeds on Feb. 23
Blue vervain (Verbena hastata) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 17
Hoary vervain (Verbena stricta) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 16
Culver's root (Veronicastrum virginicum) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 23
Virginia mountain mint (Pycnanthemum virginicum) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 19
Plantain-leaved pussytoes (Antennaria plantaginifolia) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 18

Vegetable Garden:
Pepper 'Roumanian Rainbow' - sowed Feb. 27
Pepper 'Corno di Toro Rosso' - sowed Feb. 27
Pepper 'Quadrato Asti Giallo' - sowed Feb. 27
Bronze and green fennel - sowed Feb. 27
Dill 'Mammoth' - sowed Feb. 27

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 27, 2012 1:36 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 27, 2012 11:40 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 23, 2012 12:25 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 22, 2012 1:24 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 20, 2012 11:19 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 18, 2012 3:26 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 18, 2012 10:41 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 16, 2012 12:34 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 15, 2012 1:51 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 14, 2012 4:39 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 12, 2012 12:33 PM

(Login Pennytoo)

February 9 2012, 1:42 PM 

Well it hasonly been a week since the seeds were sown so it is way too soon to give up yet.

Also glad Gary posted about sowing his Silene virginica. I need to get mine along with Silene regia done this week end

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 9 2012, 11:59 PM 

Im about ready to pot my salvia sagittata seedling. I had 7 out of 20 seeds work. The other day I pulled one out that didnt seem to be leafing at all and it had a surprising amount of a rootball so the 6 that are left should have an even better rootball by now. They each have 4 leaves 2 sets and that may not be quite enough for some people but they look healthy.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

February 10 2012, 10:51 PM 

While getting ready to leave work tonight, one of the street guys walked in & wondered why someone left the huge clear plastic container that held huge pretzel rods on the counter when there were no pretzels left & he tossed it in the garbage can & walked out. I walked just past & thought, hmmmm, now there's a seed starting container, already with clear lid to boot! Left it in the car but think it said 64oz.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 11 2012, 8:53 AM 

Joni, it is nice when things like that find a 2nd use.

I am wondering about the ex Silke's Dream or Scarlet Spires seedlings. They are growing so well in their cells but for how much longer. Should they go to 4 inch pots soon and maybe even bigger by late March. Big pots are space hogs and the plant-making season has hardly begun. But when I see how perfectly lovely they are it is hard to contain myself. What will these plants eventually become? If pushed into big plants will they bloom that much sooner? I guess once the snow melts off the old cart out back I will go searching for pots.

Miracle-Grow Quick Start is really doing a great job with the young seedlings and cuttings. At 4% nitrogen it is not making the plants leggy, just enough to keep the leaves an even green. The 12% phosphate is good for making roots, I am even using it on unrooted cuttings that were also treated with hormones. The label says use for a couple of weeks and then switch over to regular Miracle-Grow but I am going to stick with it since plants aren't growing out of hand and planting is still several months away.

(Login Pennytoo)

February 11 2012, 9:36 AM 

I feel very sure that I will have to pot up the Scarlet Spires seedlings well before they are ready to go outside. a few are already two inches tall

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 12 2012, 12:27 AM 

Im itching to get my main body of seeds started but I will wait till the first of the month or therabouts. I currently have 3 types of seeds that I consider slow going and that will give those time to make it or break it.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 12 2012, 11:09 AM 

I currently have Lady In Red, Coral Nymph, Pinwheel Zinnias and a few Navajo Red Greggiis sprouting. I'm still waiting to see what happens with the BlackNBlues, Agastaches and State Fair Zinnias... no sign of activity there.

Have to say that I like the self watering seed starting kit a lot! My problem last year was with over watering.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 18 2012, 9:51 AM 

In researching seed starting and germination, I've run across "The Paper Towel (or Baggie) Method"... has anyone here tried this? It seems like it would be really simple, so I decided to experiment and set up a baggie of Agastache.

Here's the most informative bit of information I had found on this method...
http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/seed/2003044315027348.html

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

February 18 2012, 10:35 AM 

the baggie method is Patrick's preferred method of germination

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login K8_Zone6)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 18 2012, 10:42 AM 

I was initially disappointed by my February seed starting. It turns out, I just needed to be a little more patient. And maybe water my self-watering seed starter tray a little more. Here are the seeds I started this month:

Petunia exserta - seeded 2/4 - many seedlings (too numerous to count - seeds were tiny), transplanted 14 seedlings into 2 inch pots (still a few needing to grow a bit and transplant next weekend).

Salvia sp form Catmarca - seeded 2/4 - 2 seedlings 2/16, one starting to fail by 2/23

Salvia ex Royal Bumble - seeded 2/4 - 1 seedling 2/7, total of 3 by 2/16

Salvia ex Penny's Smile - seeded 2/4 - 4 seedlings 2/16

Salvia Nana - seeded 2/4 - 1 very weak sprout 2/14, failed 2/23

Salvia vitifolia - seeded 2/4 - 1 seedling 2/10, total of 3 by 2/17

Salvia Oppositiflora - seeded 2/4 - 4 seedlings 2/12

Salvia 'Stephanie' - seeded 2/4 - 2 seedlings 2/10

Salvia 'Trenance' - seeded 2/4 - 2 seedlings 2/17

Salvia 'SL411' - seeded 2/4 - 1 seedling 2/17

Salvia 'Wild Thing' - seeded 2/4 - 1 seedling 2/17

Salvia guaranitica Santa Maria - seeded 2/4 - nothing 2/18

Salvia ex Peter Vidgeon - seeded 2/4 - nothing 2/18, 4 seedlings 2/24

Salvia 'Blue Enigma' - seeded 2/4 - nothing 2/18

Silene regia - seeded 2/4 - nothing 2/18, 2 seedlings 2/24

Salvia 'Scarlet Spires' - seeded 2/4 - nothing 2/18, 2 seedlings 2/24

Salvia semiatrata - seeded 2/25

Salvia 'Katheen' - seeded 2/25

Salvia subrotunda alba - seeded 2/25

Salvia coccinea tall form - seeded 2/25

Salvia 'Ultraviolet' (hybrid?) - seeded 2/25

Salvia Ark Road Pink (hybrid?) - seeded 2/25

Impatiens sodeni - seeded 2/25

I am thinking of trying more seeds of the ones that didn't germinate. I planted only 2 or 3 seeds in each cell, so they might not have been good.

Royal Bumble was the first to germinate, and is now about 2 inches tall. I was thrilled that 'Wild Thing' germinated, as I had a wonderful black and white cat named Wild Thing for 15 years. (I lost him to diabetes a few years back, and have been wanting to grow this salvia ever since. Thanks, Penny!)

I was pleasantly surprised by the petunia exserta - both how quickly they germinated, and how many came up. The seed was very fine, so that made it hard to control how many fell into the cell. I hope I can get most of them to grow on, as petunia exserta seems like a very promising annual for here in the north. (Thanks, Donald!) If these thrive, and I get to Palmyra in May, I should have a few extra to share in case some of our New Jersey friends would like to give this a try.

I am now thinking about starting some of my other salvia seeds - subrotunda alba, some greggii seeds I saved, and the coccinea 'Tall Form' from Robin Middleton (Ward, here in the mid-Atlantic, the coccinea tall form is likely to only reach 5 feet tall. You won't need a ladder or binoculars to check if the hummingbirds are using the flowers. Though just in case, you might want to plant them in front of a second story window!)

I am fervently wishing for spring to arrive (like everyone else here in the forum), teased by these days of sun and warmish weather.

Less than two months now until hummingbirds could arrive here in central PA!

Regards,
Kate

This message has been edited by K8_Zone6 on Feb 29, 2012 10:35 PM

(Login Pennytoo)

February 18 2012, 11:29 AM 

Kate,
Silene does best with cold stratification. Once I sow my seeds I put the container out on the porch and leave it until they sprout

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(no login)

February 18 2012, 12:08 PM 

Thanks, Penny! I will give that a try. I am guessing that it will still be cold enough through February and March to get them going. Do you cover the seeds or just leave them on top of the soil?

Thanks!
Kate

(Login Pennytoo)

February 18 2012, 1:27 PM 

Kate
I generally treat all my small seeds that are about the size of salvia coccineas I surface sow them and then water them in. I figure that is how they would reseed in nature so unless a particular seed needed to be covered or is larger that is how I do them.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 18 2012, 3:29 PM 

Cold stratificaton definitely helps Silene. I planted Silene virginica on Feb. 6 and they started germinating on the 11th. Now I have several dozen seedlings. I planted Silene regia on Feb. 14 and several seedling have emerged today. I surface sowed them. I also have them on a heating mat which I think really helps.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

February 18 2012, 11:49 PM 

Ward,
Since you mention potting size, I think I overkill on that subject & need to reduce so I have more room. After receiving those from Rich & Bustani (whose plants are monsters compared to their pot size), I realize I am starting way to big. Bought a few 105 cell trays last year & can start way more seeds in a smaller area. Popsicle sticks are great plant removers when time to pot up. Maybe I'll finally get something started tomorrow afternoon. I'm anxious to see if my Penstemon whippelanus & eatonii do anything this year after starting from seed last year. Have a few nice sized plants out there but not sure which is which since a squirrel buried a bunch of safflower in the pot & uprooted some. I just pushed them back down & they were fine. Only ended up with about 4 plants though.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 19 2012, 1:24 PM 

The cuphea schumannii plants I ordered last season didnt do well for some reason but this year I was able to obtain some seed from a generous member of this forum.

I have tried several different ways of getting these seeds to germinate including the baggy method , the oven , the window sill. But the only one to that worked for me was using a heat mat. It was a mix of peat/verm. I just used soil spread out in the flat no pockets of any kind and the heat mat will tend to dry the mix out so I had to mist often at least daily even with the dome on . But this method has given me many sprouts and some I have potted up for fear of losing to drying of the mix.

I have read online that these seeds can take weeks or even months to germinate but not the case using this method. It seems it was at least two weeks before I saw my first signs of sprouting and each day there would be more. All in all this was a very satisfying experience , but none of the other methods worked for me. The heat mat I have is simple one and have had it around for years but usually dont use it. But this called for more extreme measures and the heat mat more than paid for itself.

My heat mat is from hydrofarm and is 9 x 19 1/2. small but effective.

Some people keep their seed chilled as I do and with this particular seed it is said the seed should be reheated because of crystallization per the following article. But the seed that did germinate for me using the heat mat was not reheated. But I did try the reheat method for the ones using the baggy and the oven methods.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2006/060710.htm

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Feb 19, 2012 1:36 PM

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 20 2012, 9:17 AM 

I took a cutting of Penny's Smile on Sunday just in case a certain person needs it. It is a fast grower with rather large leaves and need to be stopped.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 23 2012, 12:27 PM 

Re: seed starting 2012 February 9 2012, 1:32 PM

Hummingbird Plants:
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - sowed on Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 26
Petunia exserta - sowed on Feb. 28
Canna 'Robert Kemp' - sowed on March 1
Canna indica 'Kress' - sowed on March 1
Canna warscewiczii - sowed on March 1

Native Wetland Garden:
Mud plantain (Alisma subcordatum) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Water arum (Calla palustris) sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Common Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) sowed on Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Common bur sedge (Carex grayi) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Sallow sedge (Carex lurida) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Brown fox sedge (Carex vulpinoidea) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Dark-green bulrush (Scirpus atrovirens) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 19
Tall ironweed (Vernonia gigantea) - sowed Feb. 23, germination began March 1
Sweet Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum) - sowed Feb. 23, germination began Feb. 27
Hollow-stemmed Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium fistulosum) - sowed Feb. 23, germinaton began Feb. 27
Flat-topped aster (Aster umbellatus) - sowed March 3
False nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica) - sowed March 3
Fringed sedge (Carex crinita) - sowed March 3
Tussock sedge (Carex stricta) - sowed March 3
Bottlebrush grass (Hystrix patula) - sowed March 3
Prairie loosestrife (Lysimachia quadriflora) - sowed March 3
Swamp candles (Lysimachia terrestris) - sowed March 3
Bishop's cap (Mitella diphylla) - sowed March 3
Ohio goldenrod (Solidago ohiensis) - sowed March 3
Riddell's goldenrod (Solidago riddellii) - sowed March 3
Bog goldenrod (Solidago uliginosa) - sowed March 3
River oats (Uniola latifolia) - sowed March 3

Native Prairie Garden:
Early Figwort (Scrophularia lanceolata) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 15
Late Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 14, all seedlings died, planted more seeds on Feb. 23, germination began Feb. 28, all seedling died
Culver's root (Veronicastrum virginicum) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 23
Virginia mountain mint (Pycnanthemum virginicum) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 19
Plantain-leaved pussytoes (Antennaria plantaginifolia) - sowed Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 18
Butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) - sowed Feb. 25
Shooting star (Dodecatheon meadia) - sowed March 3
Smooth aster (Aster laevis) - sowed March 3
Sky blue aster (Aster oolentangiesis) - sowed March 3

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 5, 2012 10:21 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 1, 2012 2:02 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 1, 2012 11:28 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 28, 2012 12:09 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 28, 2012 9:37 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 25, 2012 11:06 AM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 23 2012, 12:37 PM 

That is a super list. Mountain Mint has long been a big part of my gardens. It is interesting that it sprouted so quickly.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 23 2012, 12:42 PM 

Thanks Ward. The fast germination surprises me, too. I used to work at a nature preserve and I propagated native plants to plant on the preserve for habitat restoration. I always had trouble getting the mountain mints to germinate. I start seeds on a heating mat now which I didn't do at the nature preserve. Maybe that makes the difference. The Silene regia germination is insane. There are about 5 dozen seedlings in one small pot. Every seed must have germinated.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 23, 2012 12:42 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 23 2012, 12:58 PM 

Yes, I have had all sorts of trouble with germinating native plant seeds over the years. Silene regia is certainly an exception, it does leap out of the ground. Why are you starting Mountain Mint? Usually someone is around who has extra plants. There are bees and wasps that use the mountain mints that I have never seen on anything else. It is always worth pulling up a chair and watching the action. The leaves also make great breath mints.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 23 2012, 1:37 PM 

Ward,

I'm starting the mountain mint seeds for a native garden that's just starting up near by. The county gave the local master gardeners a plot of land that used to be farmed and the purpose of it is to be turned into a native garden to educate people about native plants. I divided some of the native plants in my garden this past fall and planted them in the garden and a lot of the seeds I'm starting are for that garden. They also received a $2000 grant to purchase native plants. I love native plants so I want to help out. I would love to help create a pollinator garden in town sometime to educate people about hummingbird, butterfly and pollinator plants.
You're right about mountain mints being fun to watch. Last year was the first year I grew them in my garden and insects were always all over the flowers. Pycnanthemum incanum attracted the most insects.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Feb 23, 2012 1:42 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 23 2012, 1:49 PM 

Good for you Gary. It sounds like a very worthy project and it is great that you have pitched in. I can't get the Master Gardener program here to provide any help in the gardens - all rules no action. It sounds like the program in your county is much better.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 23 2012, 2:10 PM 

The program in my county is very small and there isn't much interest in nature and native plants in this area so I'm really surprised and happy they are doing this. The people living next door to the garden have told the county several times that they are going to mow it down because they don't want those 'weeds' growing next to their perfectly manicured lawn. They already mowed down some oak and sycamore trees that were planted there along the creek by the Soil and Water Conservation District.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

February 23 2012, 2:46 PM 

WOW! I would think that the county could keep them from destroying county property...that is awful that someone would do that.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 24 2012, 9:13 AM 

They were told not to do it again. If they do, I think there should be a story in the local paper about it to hopefully embarrass them.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

February 24 2012, 9:56 AM 

Excellent idea Gary! That might even bring out the naturalists to rally the cause

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 24 2012, 11:14 AM 

Gary, Mountain Mints confuse me. I am pretty sure the one I have is muticum. At some point I want to try some others.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 24 2012, 1:00 PM 

Ward, the mountain mints confuse me, too. The scientific names for some of them have been changed recently, too, which doesn't help me. I have virginianum, incanum, tenuifolium, and muticum.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 28 2012, 10:20 AM 

Oddly, one of the EX Ava seedlings sown in early January appears to now be forming a flower bud. I've been propagating Agastache seeds for a few years now, hundreds of seedlings, and this is a first. It is kind of like coming attractions before the flick.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 28 2012, 11:24 AM 

Ward

How about that, all I can say is "expect the unexpected" when it comes to seeds and plants.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 28 2012, 12:56 PM 

Time for my little progress report. As Ward & Penny had predicted, my Lady In Reds and Coral Nymph Salvias were among the first to sprout and then went gang busters! So much so, that they grew tall and lanky and became a right mess of tangled plants. Initially I had my kit beside a sunny south facing window, but when I saw what was happening, I added an adjustable desk light to the mix.

Knowing that I still have more seed in case I screw up, I decided to cut down all of the lanky salvia seedlings and replanted them as cuttings in the seed starting soil. About half of them made it and are starting to grow, the other half perished. It was a good lesson in realizing you need an actual close light when starting seeds! D'oh! This is what I have growing right now...

(Seeds were started January 31st, 2012)

Zinnias (Pinwheel) - 13 little plants.
Zinnias (State Fair) - Nada! Going to start a baggie I think.
Salvia Guaranitica Black And Blue - one seed (out of six) germinated and is starting to grow!
- Another sprout emerged 2/29, Yay!
Salvia Greggii Navajo Red - 5 Small Seedlings growing.
Salvia Lady in Red - 6 Small Seedlings growing.
Salvia Coral Nymph - 4 Small Seedlings growing.
Agastache* Lavender Hyssop - 1 Tiny Seedling.

*This Agastache isn't really for the hummers, but I am having one heck of a time getting these seeds to germinate! Has anyone else grown this?

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

This message has been edited by Carobuzz on Feb 29, 2012 3:11 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 28 2012, 1:07 PM 

Generally Agastache seeds germinate pretty quickly, usually about a week for me.

What goes for Salvia coccinea goes for double for Zinnias. It is easiest and probably best to sow them outside either in a pot to make transplants or right where you want them in late April - early May. Transplants will do OK but seedlings grown in place usually do better.

(Login Pennytoo)

February 28 2012, 1:09 PM 

Caro
it has been my experience with agastaches that they do tend to grow slowly in the beginnig. I think they spend the first couple of months developing their root systems rather than above ground leaves. Once the days are longer and the weather is warmer they do seem to take off. They like it warm and dry even when they are young so I barely keep the soil moist. One year I kept mine in their cell packs until June but once I put them in the ground as tiny as they were they did take off

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Feb 29, 2012 4:08 PM
This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Feb 28, 2012 1:27 PM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 28 2012, 10:53 PM 

I guess I have going what you might call a project within a project. And I still have not started my main group of seeds as yet. Some of these are from Nancy and some I found online. I was very disappointed in how the cuphea schumannii I got sweetnectar did or didnt do so I thought I will start my own and see what happens.

the flat in front is all cuphea schumannii and I dont even have all germinated potted as yet.
Photobucket

Photobucket

One of the more advanced you seedlings of C. Schumannii

Photobucket

in this flat is standing cypress, salvia sagittata and my first potted cuphea schumannii

Photobucket

here beside the flat I have several cuttings in the taco bell container

Photobucket

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Feb 28, 2012 11:04 PM

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 29 2012, 3:08 PM 

Penny - Thanks for the info! That's a big help actually. I was starting to think that maybe this particular pack of seeds were no good.

Steve - That's Impressive! Geez, you must have a small greenhouse going over there! wink.gif

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 29 2012, 9:46 PM 

Caro

Thanks that doesnt even include the many cuttings I have going but many will be given away to family. But the cupheas are a project of my own for me as I dont know what they will do.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 1 2012, 9:04 PM 

In this photo it shows how well you can use a taco bell container for cuttings although the cuttings cant be too tall but hopefully at least one eye but on these the only extra leaflets are at the top , I must have just gotten lucky. All these are rooted in just a few days. David verity at the top , sal. oxyphora in center , and sal. blue ensign and argentine skies at the bottom cuttings off of cuttings no rhizomes here.

Contrary to popular belief here I believe I used some of the spahgnum peat[miracle grow] on these

Photobucket

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Mar 1, 2012 9:16 PM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 2 2012, 11:46 AM 

Penny

Glad to see someone listed their newest seed starting around March 1. I didnt want to be the first , in fact I havent launched mine yet and need to.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 2 2012, 11:49 AM 

I still haven't done my Salvia coccineas yet and still have quite a few other things to start yet.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 2 2012, 11:52 AM 

I been holding off as long as possible - no room left. A rainy Saturday seems perfect for pepper starting and probably of few other things I will discover in the seed box.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 2 2012, 12:02 PM 

Ward

I sure understand about the room as I prefer to have all my seeds in one room where I already have quite a bit going , same place I always do them but this year I have much more going because of doing starts for other people. My next entry should be of my new seeds.

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 2 2012, 12:14 PM 

Ok, I have to say that I'm totally sold on The Paper Towel / Baggie Method! It's SO easy to do and I've had some seeds germinate just within 3 days! WOW! Next year's plan will be to do the baggie method FIRST, and then plant them into my little seed growing kit.

Now Steve has me looking at my sushi containers in a whole new light. LOL!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

March 2 2012, 12:21 PM 

Big Lots has a large portable greenhouse with 12 shelves on sale for $50. I am seriously considering it and wondering if I can possibly fit it in my kitchen (57 1/2 x 56 1/4 x 76 3/4)!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 2 2012, 1:03 PM 

This weekend I will take a walk down to my neighbors and see if I can get him to pull his coldframe. What I would rather do is chase down the Broad-tailed Hummingbird in Cape May but the garden duties will win out. Planting time is only about 2 months away and I could use longer.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 4 2012, 1:26 PM 

March 2

Petunia Exserta

Lobelia Laxiflora

Sal. Summer Jewel---march 6 germination

Sal. Cerro Potosi

Sal. Subrotunda

Sal. Coral Nymph

Sal. Lady in Red---march 6 germination

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Mar 6, 2012 2:02 PM

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 5 2012, 10:23 AM 

Re: seed starting 2012 February 9 2012, 1:32 PM

Hummingbird Plants:
Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) - sowed on Feb. 14, germination began Feb. 26
Petunia exserta - sowed on Feb. 28, germination began on March 5
Canna 'Robert Kemp' - sowed on March 1
Canna indica 'Kress' - sowed on March 1, germination began on March 10
Canna warscewiczii - sowed on March 1, germination began on March 8

Native Wetland Garden:
Mud plantain (Alisma subcordatum) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Water arum (Calla palustris) sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Common Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) sowed on Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Common bur sedge (Carex grayi) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Sallow sedge (Carex lurida) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Brown fox sedge (Carex vulpinoidea) - sowed Feb. 6, no germination, re-sown on March 3
Tall ironweed (Vernonia gigantea) - sowed Feb. 23, germination began March 1
Sweet Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium purpureum) - sowed Feb. 23, germination began Feb. 27
Hollow-stemmed Joe-pye weed (Eupatorium fistulosum) - sowed Feb. 23, germinaton began Feb. 27
Flat-topped aster (Aster umbellatus) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 8
False nettle (Boehmeria cylindrica) - sowed March 3
Fringed sedge (Carex crinita) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 10
Tussock sedge (Carex stricta) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 9
Bottlebrush grass (Hystrix patula) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 8
Prairie loosestrife (Lysimachia quadriflora) - sowed March 3
Swamp candles (Lysimachia terrestris) - sowed March 3
Bishop's cap (Mitella diphylla) - sowed March 3
Ohio goldenrod (Solidago ohiensis) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 10
Riddell's goldenrod (Solidago riddellii) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 10
Bog goldenrod (Solidago uliginosa) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 10
River oats (Uniola latifolia) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 8

Native Prairie Garden:
Late Figwort (Scrophularia marilandica) - sowed Feb. 6, germination began Feb. 14, all seedlings died, planted more seeds on Feb. 23, germination began Feb. 28, all seedling died
Butterfly milkweed (Asclepias tuberosa) - sowed Feb. 25
Shooting star (Dodecatheon meadia) - sowed March 3, germination began on March 8
Smooth aster (Aster laevis) - sowed March 3
Sky blue aster (Aster oolentangiesis) - sowed March 3

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 11, 2012 2:42 PM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 8, 2012 9:06 AM
This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 6, 2012 8:08 PM

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 6 2012, 2:10 PM 

Of my march 2 seeding 'lady in red' and "summer jewel" were first to show their faces.

An earlier question of mine about age of seed was answered as the LIR was from 2009'

My s. subrotunda is of same year but hasnt shown as yet.

Cerro Potosi seems to be peeking but not green more purplish.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Celtguy)

March 6 2012, 3:41 PM 

Gary, Steve & Penny...plz report when your petunia exserta seeds germinate & whether you get a high rate of germination. I'm kinda thinking I'll wait a few more weeks before I plant mine, but would like to hear about your results. How fast they germinate...and maybe more importantly, how fast they grow, could be very helpful info.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 6 2012, 4:05 PM 

Patrick
I sowed my P. exserta on Feb. 28th and they sprouted on March 4th. There was a tiny hole at the bottom of the envelop where it didn't completely come together so I wasn't sure just how many seeds I was sowing but I must have at least 50 or 60 seedlings. So I would have to say I had high yield and excellent results and they are growing quickly too. I will probably have to pick them out and transplant them in about a week or week and a half if they continue to grow as they are now. I will also mention that I don't have heat mats, cables or a gro light. My seedlings are all on a shelf in a west facing window. If you use a gro light or heat mats germination may even be quicker.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 6, 2012 9:07 PM
This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 6, 2012 6:19 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 6 2012, 4:27 PM 

That was going to be my question. I don't want to start them too soon and have overgrown plants by mid April.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 6 2012, 4:57 PM 

Well as you can see my P. exserta seeds sprouted in 6 days from sowing to sprouts just using the light from a west facing window (french door) which gets opened several times a day to let the dog in and out. They may sprout even quicker using artificial lighting or heat source.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 6, 2012 9:06 PM
This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 6, 2012 6:23 PM
This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 6, 2012 6:22 PM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 6 2012, 6:11 PM 

After closer inpection I see germination today of P. Exserta . Those are much more tiny that the others guess thats why I missed them or the just sprouted and then these old eyes. But not all are germed I expect more of those tomorrow. So thats pretty quick 4 days.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 6 2012, 8:10 PM 

I planted my Petunia exserta seeds on Feb. 28 and germination began on March 5. There are 10 seedlings so far.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

March 6 2012, 9:04 PM 

Joseph Tychonievich who supplied the original seed of Petunia exserta to Annie's Annuals is really glad that the seed is being passed around and that people are growing it since its native population is somewhat limited

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 6 2012, 10:36 PM 

I started mine on March 2nd and today being the 6th and after taking a good look there are at least 20 germinated.

Because these are a bit rare and are the only petunia pollinated by hummers made it interesting to me. It will be even more interesting to see if hummers use what I have.

If these survive I will spreading them around. At least two people in family will want some of these.

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Mar 6, 2012 10:38 PM

(Login Celtguy)

March 7 2012, 12:06 AM 

Whether my humms will like them will be a key issue. Already I'm aware that several humm favs amongst the RTH's are only of passing interest to the humms in my area. Of course, I find the flower form & plant growth habits intriguing, so I'll enjoy growing for myself, regardless.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 7 2012, 12:34 AM 

Patrick

Im thinking that because you might have so many different nectar flowers that you may think certain ones dont get used but they do. Also hummers dont seem to use my weigela wine and roses but I like them so they will stay. I also started roses last year which hummers wont use and that is an experiment here.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 8 2012, 6:00 PM 

Its only been 6days from sowing of s. subrotunda but I notice nothing. But it seems to me they usually germ fast as does and did LIR , coral nymph, etc. I have somewhere between 20-30 seedlings of each of the above mentioned including summer jewel, but no subrotunda. If you remember I had this question just a few days ago on how age might affect seeds. Guess I received my answer on this one. I think I may try a few more seeds of subrotunda just to be sure.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Mar 9, 2012 1:06 AM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 13 2012, 4:01 PM 

I see Penny's Smile has germinated for you. Mine has these beautiful lush leaves and could yield a bunch of additional cuttings. The side shoots are now about 6 inches long with about 5 sets of leaves each - good progress. I will take Robin's word that it tends to come true from seed. The other day a mistake was made on a flat of creeping thyme. It wasn't hardened off properly and in a partly open cold frame over night. It froze that night and I am wondering if I've lost a whole set of 48 plants. Maybe the damaged leaves are just a bump in the road and not a head on collision. I should have been more careful. Most of the ex Scarlet Spires are now outside sheltered under the garage overhand. As of this morning they were looking just fine.

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 13 2012, 8:16 PM 

Three types of guaranitica seeds arrived in the mail thanks to a friend of the forum: Fauba, MDQ, and another called Cosquin. Fauba's label says "Cute, MDQ's says black calix, and Cosquin says lime-green calix. If the seeds germinate well there just might be a few plants to share among the Palmyra gardeners for testing. I am sure my benefactor had reason for sending these three and I am curious to know more about them.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 14 2012, 6:54 AM 

Ward
I have not seen nor heard of these three Salvias so I hope that you will post updates on them as they grow, mature and bloom.

My Penny's Smile are a bit slow as are all my salvias right now as I don't have a light set up for them. I may put them on the porch during the warmer days so they can get more filtered sunshine

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 20 2012, 4:29 PM 

I have to update my list. The three new guarantica types sent by Rolando have started to come up and last weekend the Tropical Milkweed and tomatoes were also sow and but haven't sprouted yet. There is still subrotunda (both regular and white), Stan's Dreamsicle, and a new 9 foot tall version of coccinia from Mexico to sow.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 20 2012, 5:28 PM 

I admit I am a bit behind the 8 ball with my seeds and this warm weather I fear has put me even further behind. I should have gotten more done by now. We are going to cool back down after Thursday so I won't spend as much time working outside in the yard and hopefully I can get more of my seeds sown. Most of what has been sown has germinated. Still waiting on Mimosa, Desert columbine and Silene virginica to sprout.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 20, 2012 6:22 PM

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 20 2012, 9:27 PM 

It never works out perfectly does it. Things fail or never get a chance to fail because we don't get around to them. My one year old pepper seed isn't germinating well, pepper seed does not keep long. Fortunately the fresh seed got off and running quickly. Our failures shape our gardens at least as much as our successes. In this case it will influence the kind of salsa that comes out August's kitchen.

This message has been edited by WardDa on Mar 20, 2012 9:41 PM

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 21 2012, 10:51 AM 

Ok, most of the seeds that I've started have now grown into little seedlings and I've moved them out into their own small containers to grow in a tray with the rest. My Burpee self watering seed starting kit gave me a 50% yield. I believe the soil pellets in my kit were also no good as many seedlings started, but then once the second set of leaves emerged they turned brown and the plants just didn't take. I had also noticed that the soil seemed to stay overwet and I had problems with white mold growing on top. I had much more success with the Jiffy pellets, tbh. Most of the seedlings I had moved off into those unless they had gotten rather large. Everything that made it seems to be happily growing now. Next year I will start all of my seeds with the baggie method first. Just amazing how fast they germinate that way. Almost a 100% yield on the seeds as well! That being said, here are my current stats...

(Most seeds started January 31st, 2012)

Zinnias (Pinwheel) - 11 little plants. (lost 2)
Zinnias (State Fair) - 11 little plants (baggie method rocks)
Salvia Guaranitica Black And Blue - one seedling, the other died. I also have 2 cuttings that are doing very well.
Salvia Greggii Navajo Red - 6 Small Seedlings growing.
Salvia Lady in Red - 7 Small Seedlings growing.
Salvia Coral Nymph - 4 Small Seedlings growing.
Agastache* Lavender Hyssop - 1 Tiny Seedling (died)
Hardy Hibiscus (from the PA Flower Show) - 1 Seedling! YAY!

*Baggie Method or seed starter kit, nothing happening. Giving up on this particular Agastache I think.

Now for your stupid question of the day... While I am growing mostly salvias, have you all noticed that they seem to look the same as far as seedlings go? I am referring to when they start developing their second and third set of leaves. For example, if I hadn't marked them, I couldn't tell my Greggiis from my Lady In Reds or even Black N Blues. I was very careful when planting my seeds so that they didn't end up in the wrong packs.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

March 21 2012, 11:35 AM 

First batch of Petunia exserta seedlings transplanted from community container into individual cells. They had gotten so thick that if I waited much longer I would have a tangled mess. Will transplant a few at a time until I get all the family pak transplanted.

Caro
In the beginning many salvias do indeed look alike. As you become more accustomed to seed sowing you will learn to notice slight differences between greggiis, coccineas, etc.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 21 2012, 4:02 PM 

Thanks Penny! I'm hoping as those seedlings continue to mature that I'll start to see the differences. I know the Lady In Red and Coral Nymph will be virtually the same, but it's the others that I'm more concerned about.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

March 21 2012, 5:18 PM 

Caro,
Salvia greggii leaves are different from S. coccinea leaves and they also have a distinct aroma too. S. guaranitica leaves are also different but it will be tricky with those since they seldom come true. They could have the characteristics of the parent or any other salvia that it crossed with.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Celtguy)

March 22 2012, 3:18 AM 

I had a busy afternoon today (Wed). I started seeds of the following plants, via the Baggy Method:

Petunia exserta.....germ. 3/24
Cuphea schumannii.....germ. 3/26
Yvonne's Salvia (2 batches).....germ. 3/26
Chilean Glory Vine (will direct seed some outdoors soon)
Rhodochiton (Chinese Purple Bells).....germ. 3/30
Lofospermum (Trailing Gloxinia) (3 batches)
Lobelia laxifolia.....germ. 3/26
Salvia 'Pink Preference' x 'Unknown'.....germ. 3/24
Salpiglossis (dark purple).....germ. 3/25
Fuchsia (seeds from my 'Blackie')
Kangaroo Apple (Solanum aviculare/laciniatum)(2 batches)
Impatiens 'Carousel Mix'
Mystery Seeds...maybe impatiens or a small-seeded salvia
Geranium (seeds from my interspecies 'Calliope'....bloomed indoors - seeds may not be viable
Tomato 'Sungella'.....germ. 3/24

Last year, I started quite a few seeds in late February, then a 2nd batch on March 22. The Feb. seeds were mostly started too early, so I decided to wait later this year.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Mar 30, 2012 8:17 PM
This message has been edited by Celtguy on Mar 29, 2012 12:20 PM
This message has been edited by Celtguy on Mar 25, 2012 12:18 AM

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

March 22 2012, 11:15 PM 

Seed must be too old since LIR & Coral didn't germinate except for 1 cell. I tried Asclepias curassavica 'Scarlet' this year & that didn't germinate either. Didn't really know the requirements for that but not sure if just takes a long time or if needs light & I covered too much??? Everything else looks fine.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 23 2012, 12:29 PM 

I have my fluorescent lights right on top of my freshly sown seeds, maybe 1.5 inches above them. I also have plastic wrap covering the pots to keep in moisture. Should I be poking a few holes in the plastic to let a bit of heat out or will the seeds be ok with no ventilation?

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 12:42 PM 

It kind of depends on the type. Once they germinate I usually remove the plastic wrap pretty quickly. The only one I worry about and you probably aren't growing it is Gaillardia. They damp off in a flash when wet.

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 23 2012, 12:52 PM 

I will remove the plastic once the seeds sprout. I just want to be sure I'm not overheating the seeds.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 12:59 PM 

I don't think you will. It will take you a little while to have confidence in what you are doing but it will come. This WILL improve your life as a propagator.

(Login Celtguy)

March 23 2012, 1:20 PM 

As long as the plastic isn't in contact with the potting mix, I wouldn't be concerned about heat from the fluorescent tubes. If you're getting heavy condensation on the undeside of the plastic, that may indicate your potting mix is too wet, which could cause some seeds to rot. Personally, if that were happening, I'd remove the plastic for an hour or two, letting some of the moisture evaporate. Once seedlings begin to appear, I'd watch the condensation issue closely.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

Suchie
(Login Suchiek)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 23 2012, 1:31 PM 

I had several volunteer Sinningia seedlings growing in my Bullata and Insularis and Leucotricha pots. About three weeks back I transplanted them and decided to grow them under some glass bell jars. They are really taking off. One of them got top heavy curved and has rooted itself. I have the original seedling and now another layered rooted piece. Hoping I am able to see them to maturity.

No growing lights for them, just a warm window.

Suchie

(Login Celtguy)

March 23 2012, 1:59 PM 

Caro - I have 2 suggestions for you...well, 3 actually!

I picked up a good tip here (I think several members use this)...if I see mold starting to form on my potting mix, I spritz it with chamomile tea.

And 2 tips on the Baggy Method. Until the seeds begin to sprout, I lay the bags flat, beneath the lights, unless the seeds require darkness for germination. BUT...as soon as they sprout, I use a piece of cellophane tape to attach the edge of the bags to the light reflectors. Seedlings know up from down & will attempt to send the roots down & the sprouts up. By hanging the bags from one edge, "down" will be between the layers of the coffee filter. Bags hanging like that still provide the seedlings good light and warmth. If left lying flat, roots will often penetrate the paper, making for a big problem when you try to remove the seedlings.

That brings me to the 2nd baggy tip....don't leave the seedlings in the baggy any longer than necessary. It can be a painstaking process to move tiny seedling from between the filter layers and carefully maneuver them into cell packs, pots, etc. But I've learned the hard way, that leaving them in the baggy longer than necessary leads to damaged roots. As soon as most of the seeds have germinated, I now avoid delays in transferring them to their potting mix.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 24 2012, 8:00 PM 

Thanks Patrick! Those are great suggestions!!!

I had read about how the new root tries to wedge itself in the layers of the filter, so fortunately I have gotten my germinated seeds out of there pronto and into soil. If your attention wavers, I can so easily see running into problems with them.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Celtguy)

March 24 2012, 11:43 PM 

I also think paper towels have a looser "weave" that lets roots go thru more readily than coffee filters...so it's filters for me!

And BTW, unless you're just starting a batch or two of seedlings, I wouldn't waste money on the zip lock type of sandwich bags...I use the much less expensive sandwich bags (like 200 per box) that are a thinner plastic and have a flap you tuck in over your sandwich, then a hood-like flap that folds back over that. It's not as tightly sealed as a zip-lock bag, but I keep an eye on mine and spritz a little water in on the rare occasions that it's required.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Mar 25, 2012 1:35 PM

(Login Celtguy)

March 25 2012, 1:36 PM 

Boy, the Petunia exserta seeds are prolific germinators! They show a high percentage of germination and they do it quickly.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 25 2012, 7:55 PM 

I have already potted up some of my Petunia seedlings into individual cells. I really need to get more down and they are growing quickly now

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 26 2012, 10:08 AM 

My Petunia exserta seedlings are also growing quickly now and I have also potted mine into individual cells. I'm curious to find out how soon they will begin to bloom. It would be nice to have them blooming when the main push of migrants comes through the area.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

This message has been edited by Naturelover68 on Mar 26, 2012 11:37 AM

(Login Pennytoo)

March 26 2012, 10:26 AM 

If their growth and bloom habit are anything like P. intergritfolia, it may not be that long before they start to bloom. I have had intergritfolia bloom when they were quite small.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login K8_Zone6)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 26 2012, 12:46 PM 

I am thinking that I will plant several of the larger petunia exserta plants into a hanging basket. They are really good sized now. Just not sure how many to put in - I don't want to crowd them as they continue to grow and spread. I might even have blooms by the time the hummers get here.

Also, I spotted a bud on Salvia 'Royal Bumble' grown from seed which I planted on February 4! Two months from seed to bud is pretty good in my book.

Had all the bigger plants that I started on February 4 outside to enjoy the sun, but they are now tucked away in the garage along with most of the other overwintered containers I dragged outside two weeks ago. Got most of them back inside last evening in anticipation of tonight's frost/freeze warning. I think I'll move the rest in tonight and leave them there the rest of the week. They are calling for temps in the mid 30's several evenings this week, and it often gets colder at my house than the forecasts predict. (Plus - don't want to strain my back with too much heavy lifting all in one week!)

Regards,
Kate

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 26 2012, 1:29 PM 

Didn't Don say last year that this plant was more upright than the petunias we are familiar with? Mine are a little covering of tiny sun leaves in a 4 inch pot, quite a low way from transplant.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 26 2012, 1:32 PM 

Yes I believe that Donald did say it was more upright. Also Joseph from Greensparrow Gardens who supplied Annie's Annuals with the original seed said they are more upright. I had asked him how he thought they would do in window boxes or deck boxes and he said as long as they are the deeper boxes 2 or possibly 3 plants in a wdeep window box might work out ok.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 26, 2012 1:55 PM

(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 31 2012, 8:43 AM 

Ward, I was going to send you an email, but since this thread now has questions and answers in addition to the data I figured I would post here.

What has your success rate been for the red and yellow tropical milkweed that Frank handed out at Palmyra? For me it is about 10% for two attempts. The yellow ones I planted have had just about 100% success rate.

Ken

Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:C)

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 31 2012, 10:21 AM 

The germination rate can sometimes be rather low on Tropical Milkweed and they don't call come up at once. You may still see more appearing over the next several weeks or so. Fortunately you can wait quite a while before seperating out the seedling pots. My own results on the yellow type haven't been up to expectations but more are just sprouting. I have been tempted to create a seperate patch of Tropical Milkweed, only using the early sprouters to see if a strain of reliable germinators could be created. Wild plants don't usually germinate all at once, it is a bad strategy for a species but it would be helpful to propagators.

I have been working most of the morning on seperating seedlings: into cells when't 63 Coreopsis levenworthii, 18 Czec Black chilli pepper, 9 California Wonder peppers,27 Yvonne's Salvia. Now I need another bag of potting soil.

(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

March 31 2012, 10:53 AM 

Petunia exserta is an upright form. It is great in a pot, but I don't think it would drape well enough for it to be good in a hanging basket. I've had great germination, too, and have mine potted up in individual cells now. They've been outside for a couple of weeks with our freakishly warm weather, and we have no freezes in sight through mid-April. I'll be starting my Salvia seeds this weekend, but at the moment my basement is completely empty of plants--all my early seed starts and cuttings have been outside.

The mother plant that I collected all the seed from is still in a pot and now outside, throwing off sporadic blooms. There is a forest of tiny Petunia seedlings on the surface of the potting soil. The plant proved to be easy to overwinter inside. It got a bit lanky, but I just cut it back and it looks fine now. It had no pest problems.

Donald

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

(Login Pennytoo)

March 31 2012, 12:04 PM 

Donald thanks for the update on your plant and seedlings as well as your growing conditions. I mam still separating seedlings into more cell paks. I shoulde have more than enough for me and anyone at our local plant swap that wants to give it ia try in their hummer garden.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Celtguy)

March 31 2012, 3:12 PM 

Ditto Penny's comment...even planting seeds carefully to avoid too many seedlings, I now have about 40 of them in cells.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

April 15 2012, 4:56 PM 

Feb.2
Salvia x 'Scarlet Spires' - Germ. Feb. 7
Salvia greggii 'Furman's Red'- Germ. Feb.9
Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing'- germ. Feb. 10
Salvia x 'Penny's Smile' - no germ as of Mar.1

Feb.28
Petunia exserta - Germ. Mar. 4
Salvia 'Penny's Smile' - 2nd sowing Germ. Mar. 4
Salvia x 'Royal Bumble'- Germ. Mar. 4
Red Mimosa

March 2
Salvia 'Cerro Polosi' - germinated Mar. 6 (3 days!)
Salvia 'San Luis' - germinated Mar. 6 (3 days!)
Zauschneria garrettii 'Mountain Flame' 1st sprout Mar. 13

March 20
Salvia coccinea 'Summer Jewel' - Germ Mar. 28
Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph' - Germ. Mar. 28

--------------------------------------------------------------------
SEEDS THAT WERE WINTER SOWN
Feb.18
Silene virginica
March 2
Chilean Glory Vine sown and placed in unheated mudroom -germ. Mar 20
Aquilegia desertorum (Arizona Columbine) - Germ April 13

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Current Topic - seed starting 2012  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005