<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

seed starting 2012

January 14 2012 at 10:36 AM
Ward  (Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

It isn't too early to start seeds of plants that take quite a while to mature as seedlings - Agastaches, woody and dieback perennial salvias.

Salvia ex Ultra Violet - seeded 1/8 - nothing 1/27, looks like seed isn't viable.

Salvia ex Silke's Dream - seeded 1/8 - 7 sprouts 1/15, 22 sprouts and first true leaves 1/18 - 23 into cells 2/1. The seedling appear to be highly variable, most have toothed leaf edges but several have smooth as if some greggii was sneaking around. Some have hairy leaves others don't. The 6 inch and taller cuttings went into individual pots 2/13. On 2/20 all were cut back to around three sets of side-shoots, they had gotten too tall.

Agastache ex "Ava" - seeded 1/8 - 6 sprouts 1/18 - 9 sprouts 1/27 the oldest forming first true leaves - 10 seedlings potted up into cells 2/3, the best of the lot are already on 3rd set of leaves and side-shoots. 2/20 the two tallest were moved out of 4-packs and into their own 3 inch pots. These seedlings have grown faster than any Agastache I have ever grown from seed.

Salvia ex Royal Bumble - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia ex Penny's Smile - seeded 1/15 - 1 seedling 1/22 - into 3 inch pot 2/23, cutting taken 2/20, rooted 3/10.

Salvia ex Peter Vidgeon - seeded 1/15 - 1 seedling 1/22 - still rather small 2/21 - stem rot killed it.

Salvia Oppositiflora - seeded 1/15 - 4 seedlings 1/25 - the 4 are still quite small 2/20, 3 surviving 3/22.

Salvia Nana - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Pepper Ancho - seeded 3/3, failure

Pepper Anaheim - seeded 3/3. germination 3/15

Pepper California Wonder - seeded 3/3, germination 3/15, into cells 4/1

Pepper Czechoslovakian Black - seeded 3/3, germinated 3/12, into cells 4/1

Pepper Chervena Chushka - seeded 3/3, a few germinated 3/26

Pepper Travelers Strain Jalapeno - seeded 3/3, germination 3/15, into cells 4/5

Coreopsis levenworthii - seeded 3/3, sprouting 3/9, into cells 3/29

Salvia guaranitica Santa Maria - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia sp form Catmarca - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout

Salvia vitifolia - seeded 1/15 - failed to sprout.

Salvia splendens Yvonne's - 2 4-inch pots oversown 3/4, first sprout 3/10. Ready for transplant to cells 3/28

Gaillardia Amber Wheels - 4 year old seed unlikely to sprout 3/4, germination 3/14, a few damped off, always a problem with Gailardia.

Petunia exserta - sown 3/18, germination 3/22, 31 into cells 4/6

Tropical Milkweed - sown 3/18, scatter germination 3/2

3 new Salvia guaranitica types - sown 3/13, germination 3/16 on two types, but not the 3rd. The 3rd type, one seedling, germination 3/29. 10 Cosqin into cells 4/8

Salvia subrotunda White - sown 3/25

Salvia subrotunda - sown 3/25

Salvia coccinea Tall - sown 3/25, one sprout 4/3

This message has been edited by WardDa on Apr 8, 2012 9:14 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: seed starting 2012

January 14 2012, 12:32 PM 

And for those that do wintersowing, this is a good time to get started especially if you are in that post holiday slump.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

January 14 2012, 1:02 PM 

Ah - Ward's been a busy guy!!

Well, I transplanted some seedlings yesterday...a friend gave me seedlings of Fuchsia boliviana & I picked out a dozen of them and moved them into a mini domed greenhouse that holds 2 six-packs. They'll continue to live indoors under fluorescent lights until May or June.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchsia_boliviana

Reading the info in the linked site above, I've surmised I won't see blooms until late Summer or Fall - right in the midst of when everything else is blooming. Now that I've worked with those seedlings, maybe I'll look thru my seed stash and consider starting a few that are slow to get going. But I'll remember last year's lesson: don't plant seeds too early!

Penny, thanks for the winter-sowing reminder. I have opium poppy seeds to direct-seed in a few places in the backyard.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Celtguy on Jan 15, 2012 1:29 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 15 2012, 6:16 AM 

I wonder what the fruits taste like. Presumably your Anna's will enjoy tipping up to feed on those pendant flowers too.

It is a good reminder on winter sowing, I need to check my seeds. There will be no planting of Zinnias and such now, that is a mistake you only make once or is it two or three times. Until the past few days the weather was warm enough for outdoor sowing and several types of perennial milkweed seed went in. I need to talk to a friend about more milkweed seed to sow in flats to be stored in the garage for cold treatment.

Carobuzz
(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 15 2012, 2:54 PM 

Silly question, but I assume all of you starting from seed are either using heat lamps or green houses?

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 15 2012, 3:05 PM 

No heat lamps here. The flats are on shelves in the basement with low hanging shop lights. My heat cable doesn't appear to be working but so close to the lights the soil surface temperature must be close to 70F.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 15 2012, 4:33 PM 

No heat lamps, No heat cables, and no green house here. Mine will be done on the rack in front of the kitchen french doors when I can get motivated enough to start.

Stuff that I will winter sow will go out on the unheated front porch.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jan 15, 2012 5:00 PM

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

January 15 2012, 6:57 PM 

My sitch is similar to Ward's. No heat lamps, but my fluorescent lights are in a 2-tiered plant stand in my bedroom, so we're talking indoor temps, augmented by warmth from the lights/ballasts. When I operate the upper tier, some of the heat from the lower tier creates bottom heat for that upper level. I do have a heat mat designed for plants, but it runs on the hot side, so I'm cautious about using it except for seedlings that really need it.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Carobuzz
(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 16 2012, 5:53 PM 

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm on a rather tight budget this year, so I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with all of the seeds that I harvested this past fall. I wish I had room to set up some kind of growing station with a controlled light, but I think I may just have to use a seed starter kit and go with that. I do have some sunny portions of my house that I can sit the seedlings in.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 16 2012, 6:14 PM 

Caro,
That is basically what I do and it works fine.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 16 2012, 6:53 PM 

Some things like Zinnias if you grow them can just be direct seeded into the garden. Coccinea can work too although the last couple of years they have been very late.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 17 2012, 1:59 PM 

Same here no heat lamps, heat tape or cables just old fashioned shoplights which are simple and get the job done. Besides using flats Ive used taco salad containers, butter cups or similar containers from time to time.

I also have winter sowed before and it works but I prefer starting seed under lights where I can control everything and sort of have a hand in it. With winter sowing you just sow and forget them till spring letting nature take over. But its all good.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

vicki wozniak
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 20 2012, 7:49 PM 

i'll be adding to this post and also wishing ward a happy birthday today Jan 20th .. i missed sending a message out from work today

as for seed starting indoors ...

i have found that the "cheap" shop lights in the basement (ie temp around 55 degrees) ... does work .. well .... just get the lights close to the soil at first and move them away as they grow .... ) ... prior years i've left them on all the time .. this year i'm shutting them off at night

i never had luck growing in front of windows ...

other thing to be sure you do is water enough once they start to grow ... but be careful about covering the soil before the seeds pop up ... it's not uncommon to get mildew on the soil .. something you really don't want

i won't be starting any seeds til after i get back from GA .. i've got my 2nd grandson and 3rd grandchild .. due on Feb 5th .. and plan to be away for at least 7 days .... it's difficult enough to find someone to care for the 4 cats, 2 dogs, 3 parakeets, and 5 guinea pigs ... if i throw in ... watering seedlings .. ummmm that sure doesn't work ... (hopefully the cuttings & non hardy plants will be ok .... they too are in the basement under the lights .. keeping the guinea pigs company )

Vicki
Edgewater Park, NJ

Erik
(Login 1brewerfan)
Hummingbird lover 2011

January 20 2012, 10:33 PM 

I think by reading this I've got my ansewer most of my plants will be started by Feb.1st but won't make it outside til May 20th or so, seemed like a long time!When you by flowers at a garden center in May just wonder when they start them and i know it's in a greenhouse.I've made a 8x8 room in my basement with 4 200 watt cfls and a small space heater it will be crowed when it gets to be end of April this is my first year trying this fingers are crossed! Erik

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 21 2012, 6:49 AM 

Erik,
From what I have been told by the very few nurseries here that do their own propagating, they start seeds in Sept. Most order plugs from wholesaleers but I imagine if they do any cuttings from the plants they already have they start those in Sept. also.

I am still sitting on the fence watching the snow fall. Haven't started anything yet nor have I started winter sowing yet....maybe this week end
Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jan 21, 2012 6:51 AM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 24 2012, 3:53 PM 

Normally I dont start any seeds till march 1st but there is one that I have had difficulty with. I have ordered seeds a while back in fact a double order and I have started those with no real expectations of success, salvia sagittata.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Carobuzz
(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

January 25 2012, 9:00 AM 

Ok! I have my weekend project lined up! I purchased a Burpee self watering seed starting kit at Home Depot!

Happy Belated Birthday Ward! Thanks for the Zinnia suggestion. I don't have those seeds yet, but they were already on my list to grow for this season. happy.gif

What I hope to be growing from seeds harvested: Navajo Red Salvia Greggi, Lady In Red Salvia, Coral Nymph Salvia, and Black N Blues (precious few seeds there).

I also want to plant some Agastache and Zinnias.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 25 2012, 1:49 PM 

I usually have seed of lady in red, subrotundda and coral nymph. At the sites like burpee it will say "sun, part sun". At my place they have always had full sun and have done ok. But subrotunda and lady in red that I gave my sister turned into monsters, hers were in filtered sunlight. It does make a difference with those. For viewing purposes that is a difficult task here , its either full sun or shade , but I might try the back of the house which will have shade longer during the day.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 25 2012, 3:07 PM 

Anything in the woody salvia class (greggii, microphylla etc) should be planted asap because they take quite some time to reach blooming size the first year. The easiest thing to do is sow them as a group in a single pot and then seperate them into cells when they have a couple of sets of true leaves. The ex Silke's Dream seedlings sown in early January except for those that germinated late now have true leaves and are almost ready for individual cells. EX Agastache 'Ava" isn't very far behind. It is nice to have these things out of the way before the serious propagation begins.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 25 2012, 4:41 PM 

I better get my booty in gear. These grey overcast days seem to hinder me from seed starting.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 57 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005