<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Salvia 'Amistad' UPDATES

January 17 2012 at 11:10 PM
Rolando  (Login picaflor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Dear all,

I gave cuttings of Salvia 'Amistad' to Steve Owens when he was in Argentina last December. I hope he can root it and sell it. It is the best salvia I have ever grown.

I really hope you can get this plant next Spring. It is a hummingbird magnet!

No PBR should apply to this plant. I found it in Argentina and I would like to share it with everybody. 'Amistad' is the Spanish word for friendship so.... share it with your friends!!

Rolando

www.salvias.com.ar

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia 'Amistad' UPDATES

January 17 2012, 11:15 PM 

I wish Steve was closer as I would definitely make the drive to get a cutting from his plant. I bet that JP will make the trip over to Steve's if he is succesful with the cuttings. Maybe Nancy can convince Rich Dufresne to make the trip and get cuttings propagated.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 18 2012, 12:21 AM 

For most of us who desire this plant Richard might be our best shot as Steve Owens is no longer in the mail order game.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Patricia
(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

January 18 2012, 8:01 AM 

The photos of this plant are beautiful.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

January 18 2012, 8:24 AM 

Sunset Magazine and Plant Development Services Inc. will make S. 'Amistad' available to the California growers and retailers in their distribution area in April. I have contacted them to see if there will be any online retailers that will have it available.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jan 18, 2012 8:27 AM

Gary
(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

January 18 2012, 9:56 AM 

I hope it becomes available to online retailers this spring. I'm anxious to try out this salvia. Maybe it's the next big hummingbird attractor.
Rolando, thanks for your generosity in sharing this plant with the rest of us hummingbird and salvia lovers.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 5b/6a
Napoleon.gif

Cheri
(Login hummymummy)
Hummingbird Member 2006

January 18 2012, 5:47 PM 

I wonder if it will EVER make it's way to Canada.

Cheri (aka hummymummy, vancouver, b.c. canada z8 -10 celcius and snowy)

I love Hummingbirds
(Login uksalvia)
Hummingbirders 2010

January 18 2012, 5:59 PM 

Rumour has it that this may be released in Canada/Australia later this year, or early 2013!

Patrick
(Login Celtguy)
Brugmansia Moderator - Emeritus

January 18 2012, 6:04 PM 

And Cheri...you never know what will cross the border! [linked image]

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
[linked image]

Cheri
(Login hummymummy)
Hummingbird Member 2006

January 18 2012, 6:28 PM 

Cool Robin... maybe in time for my new garden!! What enticing news!
Patrick if it crosses the border are you part of the deal :>) and ber the way are you still seeing Anna's, I've at least two regulars maybe more, it's quite the challenge keeping feeders defrosted and rotated out, poor Dh bless his heart has to get up at 6:15 so thankfully he can usually remember to get one warm one out.

Cheri (aka hummymummy, vancouver b.c. canada z8)

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Salvia 'Amistad' UPDATES

January 19 2012, 12:51 AM 

We are very anxious to try this new salvia and I've been looking around on the internet to see if any nursery will have it in stock this season, but no luck.

Anyhow, we will be visiting family in Oklahoma in early April and will be visiting a family member in the area of Bustani Plant Farm. If Steve can get this going, we definitely plan to visit Bustani (and may go there anyhow) and bring a Salvia 'Amistad' back with us on the plane. We will try and think of ways that we might be able to send a plant to interested Forum members. Frustrating that Bustani is no longer in the mail order game.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

Sherry in SE Mississippi
(Login PucPuggy)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

April 15 2012, 4:37 PM 

The pictures I've seen of this salvia on the internet look very much like S. guaranitica, just with a more purple flower, S. guaranitica being more blue. The leaves look very similar.
This would explain why it would be a hummingbird magnet, assuming it's closely related.
I'd sure like to order this beauty!

Sherry in Southeast Mississippi
[linked image]

I love Hummingbirds
(Login uksalvia)
Hummingbirders 2010

April 15 2012, 4:47 PM 

Seems like Salvia 'Amistad' may be released for sale very soon in California.

It is NOT a form of S. guaranitica, it is a hybrid, parentage unclear. Guaranitica obviously a parent.........other parent could be gesneriiflora or splendens, may have 3-4 parents!!!

Seems to be taking off BIG TIME in the UK this year.

Robin.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

April 15 2012, 4:52 PM 

I have been checking Calif. nurseries every few days but so far no luck. All the info online is indeed coming from the UK nurseries. We are all still waiting very impatiently.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

I love Hummingbirds
(Login uksalvia)
Hummingbirders 2010

April 15 2012, 4:55 PM 

Sunset something?

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

April 15 2012, 5:01 PM 

Sunset Western Gardens is the one I believe who did the US trials and will be distributing it only to California nurseries this year.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Apr 15, 2012 5:32 PM

I love Hummingbirds
(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 15 2012, 7:19 PM 

We have been working for months to get in on this game, with mostly frustration. I am visiting some of the licensed propagators this week to see first hand what is up. At this point, as far as I can tell from numerous telephone calls and emails, we will all be waiting a bit longer for this one. I suspect there is conflict in the plant patenting process.

Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

Michelle
(Login voodoobrew)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 29 2012, 9:32 PM 

Cabrillo College has it listed on their inventory for the spring sale! [linked image] I guess I'll be there fighting with Kermit as soon as the sale starts in a couple of weeks... [linked image]

Bay Area, CA

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 29 2012, 9:57 PM 

Michelle,
You're so lucky! My folks will be visiting California in June, but this plant will likely be sold out by then.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Kermit Carter
(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 30 2012, 8:41 PM 

I spoke last week directly with the patent holder, who will be enforcing his rights with vigor. We hope to be able to license and sell this plant this year, but will not violate the intellectual property rights of the holder. I am surprised Cabrillo College would take this risk. Aside from the moral issues, the legal liability doesn't balance against the potential gain. Selling this variety without proper licensing is not wise, IMHO.

Off of my pulpit now.

Kermit

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005