<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Coral Honeysuckle

March 18 2012 at 3:27 PM
  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

It's only mid March, but the weather is so incredibly warm my honeysuckle is putting out a lot of growth. Unfortunately, that also means one bad thing... APHIDS!!! They are not wasting any time this year. My honeysuckle is just beginning to have leaves mature enough for them and I already found some this morning. [linked image] It looks like I'll have to check every day so I can squish and spray them off. I sure hope it's not as bad as last year, but the incredibly warm winter probably means bad insects this spring/summer.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Mar 18, 2012 3:29 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Coral Honeysuckle

March 18 2012, 4:06 PM 

I cut mine back yesterday and opened it up so that more air could get through hopefully that will thwart the aphids some.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 18 2012, 4:30 PM 

Dan

If you hadnt started this thread I would have. Im sorry to hear that you have found aphids already. I checked all my honeysuckle earlier today and cant tell that I have them as yet but that means very little. Also spider mites can be a problem, so I will be hitting them with neem as soon as I see any evidence of them. It does no good to pretreat with this. Yes I agree it certainly is strange we have to talk about and deal with this in mid march. I am very low on neem but I do have a good bit of bonide horticultural spray which is for organic gardening and does the same thing smothers insects.

I have also given my honeysuckle a dose on a regimen of liquid seaweed hoping this will help them to be more resistant to disease and insects. Cant hurt since I do have it.

Another reason I am glad this thread is started is because my major wheeler has set clusters and may soon be blooming which is surprising once again because it is march . I am expecting a more mature season with the major this season. It looks very good at this point.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 18 2012, 7:42 PM 

I guess I'm lucky, I don't get aphids on my honeysuckle, but I do get leaf miner sometimes.

Find more about Weather in Virginia Beach, VA

I take that back. Just found aphids. Is it okay to use Bonide All Seasons Spray Oil? I used it a couple years ago on
the leaf miner and it worked well. It has aphids listed on bottle as well. It is horticultural and Dormant.

(Login yardbirdjim)
Hummingbirder 2012

March 19 2012, 3:01 AM 

I guess I am also lucky in not getting any aphids. It could happen yet but it seems that all these hungry vicious killer ladybugs have things under control. They even bite me and it hurts. The only things that I have seen on my coral honeysuckle vines are hummingbirds, cardinals, mockingbirds and occasionally a red-tailed hawk! I don't know what he was after but he caught my eye and only reluctantly departed after my approach got too close. The squawking mockingbird that was a few feet away on the honeysuckle at that time did not leave. I will have to start looking a lot closer but it has been many years since I have seen an aphid infestation. Even then the little suckers didn't seem to do much damage except give me the chilly-willys when I saw the large herds. Back then, I purchased a small bag of seemingly harmless ladybugs and released them. I now have a carnivorous ladybug infestation. One time I went into my storage building looking for something. I looked into a large open sack and saw that it was about half full of corn. Then all that corn started moving in a swirling motion. Ouch!

Jim
south Georgia
zone 8

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 19 2012, 4:07 PM 

I took another close look today on my honeysuckle and I found some. I had to open the leaves where the small clusters are and that is where they are and can usually be found there if anywhere. Now its time for action. I found mine on goldflame but Im sure they are on coral honeysuckle also.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 19 2012, 4:14 PM 

I think the aphids are more oif a plague to those of us up north than to those in the southern states. It could be that they can't take the prolonged heat and humidity as they seem to thrive in our cool wet spring weather...one more reason to move back south.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 19 2012, 5:15 PM 

Im guessing ladybugs are not plentifull enough in my area. I have had them save a plant before though.

As for coral honeysuckle hummerbirds love them its just that aphids seem to love them more and I for one have had to battle the aphids for years now . C.H. starts out looking awesome then the insects get to them it seems. I tried major wheeler last year and it seemed to do pretty well pretty much insect and mildew free as advertized .

I gave a dose of neem today but will wait till most of the clusters open before I hit them again, its just easier when dont have to open each and every leaf cluster by hand.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:07 PM 

I make up a dish soap and vegetable oil spray for the aphids. Works well on the milkweed aphids also.

Hummerless in Montverde.

Jana & Joy

Greg Scott
(Login Greg_Scott)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Are aphids so bad?

March 20 2012, 2:46 AM 

Do hummingbirds eat aphids? How much do they damage the plants?

(Login Pennytoo)

March 20 2012, 7:40 AM 

Yes Hummers as well as other birds will eat aphids. The aphids can destroy the early spring blooms making them completely useless to hummers. Two years ago I had to cut my mature honeysuckle down to about two ft. off the ground because they had destroyed every single bloom.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Major Wheeler

March 20 2012, 11:56 AM 

Im curious to know if anyone that has the major wheeler version of honeysuckle is bothered with aphids on it. Im into my second season with it and so far have not seen any on it. I just made a fairly thorough inspection by opening many of the leaflets that contain the bloom clusters and so far have found no aphids. But both goldflame and coral honeysuckle do have.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 20 2012, 12:51 PM 

Steve,

This is also only my second season for Major Wheeler but I didn't have any aphid problems with it last year but the other trumpet honeysuckle cultivars I have all had aphids last year.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 20 2012, 7:32 PM 

Gary

Glad to hear that report from you. I ditto what you said. I also layered a cutting from it last fall and will be giving it to my sister who also has honeysuckles with aphids and a terrible mildew problem.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

March 22 2012, 10:39 PM 

Mildew & fungus is supposed to be very high around here due to the mild winter & hot spring. Some tree pollen counts are already tripled they say.

I have yet to move my 'Dropmore Scarlet' out of the retaining bed next to the house to outside the bed so I don't have root issues with my sump this year. I intend on moving it out this Sunday if we don't get too much rain. It's been leaving out this week & I have several buds ready to pop any day now. Didn't look real close since I got home late but didn't see any aphids yet. I went for a few years with none & then was jinxed last year. Wasn't too bad though.

I also made the mistake a few years back planting 2 small Lonicera out in the bed & staked them yet didn't get the PVC arbor support built as they grew. They have been naturally forming a bush & several stems have rooted to the ground. 1 was 'Blanch Sandman' & the other 'John Clayton'. I'm not sure which one I dug up but finally moved one. Got it planted but didn't get to prune it but think I'm cutting back pretty good so the roots will establish better. It got too dark to check the other last night but checked it tonight & it's going to be a little more difficult as many large stems are rooted. I still want to make a PVC tower for it to climb on but will steer away from an actual arbor. 'Major Wheeler' was either not ready to sell or sold out the times I tried finding it. It is on my list to get this year.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 23 2012, 12:21 PM 

Once aphids put their imprint on honeysuckle it seems they never completely recover even if you do get rid of most of the aphids with whatever method you use. Leaves and flowers have the look that just by looking at them you know have or have had aphids from the leaf curl or otherwise not looking right at all.

So with all that said Im now considering starting more cuttings from major wheeler and replacing my other 2 honeysuckles with these.

Those of you that dont have to deal with aphids invading your honeysuckle consider yourselves lucky. For it is a heartbreaking thing to have your honeysuckle start out looking beautifull and then come the aphids and they never look completely healthy again.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 12:46 PM 

I suspect that any type of Lonicera sempervirons can get attached by aphids. What I have noticed is aphids seem to be less of a problem on young plants for some reason. The first of sempervirons started to bloom about a week ago, record early. Magnifica has some flowers, an unknown type does too, and Alabama Crimson is probably about a week or so away.

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 23 2012, 1:00 PM 

I'm seeing little buds begin to develop on my honeysuckle. We are getting into a bit more normal(cooler) weather pattern so it may still be a while before I see any blooms. I've been checking my plant daily for aphids and, fortunately, there have only been a few. I hope they don't get bad because my 3rd-year plant is going to be big and dense. It will take a lot of time and effort to remove them from all the hiding spots.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 23 2012, 1:56 PM 

Ward

Are you growing "major wheeler"? I suspect you are correct in your assessment but so far I can see no signs of aphids on my second year plant when other cultivars do have them. Being paranoid about aphids I check my MW daily with in intense inspection as if I know they are there and where are they hiding but so far I find nothing. This current plant is sitting in a location where I previously had a coral honeysuckle plant that was eventually destroyed by the aphids so its not location.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 2:21 PM 

It would be great if your speculation was true. All I am suggesting is it be early yet to know for sure, if that is ever possible. When my Magnifica was younger it was aphid free for several years while a Alabama Crimson 30 feet away was a complete mess. I have never lost a honeysuckle to aphids and the infestations seem to subside by late June. Since sempervirons, even those called everblooming, do their big show in May and June, it couldn't happen at a worse time.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 23 2012, 2:40 PM 

I agree with your speculation that it is too early to know for sure that Is why Im doing intense inspection now and will continue. As for years down the road I cant be concerned with that only the here and now. I may not be around next year.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

March 23 2012, 7:35 PM 

Going along with what Ward stated earlier I can say that I never had aphids on my Coral Honeysuckle the first two years. Once it got really big and dense is when I started to have a problem with aphids. This year I thinned out the lower 2/3rd of mine to allow more air circulation to see if that helps Still leaving plenty of top new growth until the lower part sends out new growth.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 26 2012, 6:08 PM 

I had not seen any aphids on my honeysuckle in recent days. Today most of the vine appeared clean, but then I saw one developing bud with a mass of aphids around it. At this point in my vine's growth last year it was already being devoured by aphids. The entire first flush of blooms was ruined. There are at least several buds right now that appear healthy and I haven't seen any deformed leaves, yet. Maybe the aphids will be more scattered this year. **fingers crossed**

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 4 2012, 7:03 PM 

Still checking my honeysuckle every couple days. The news is mixed. There are a fair amount of good buds that should become good flowers. I lost the entire first flush of blooms last year to aphids so this year is already at least somewhat better. However, there is also a fair amount of deformed growth tips that were ruined by aphids before I could get them. It's a real chore trying to check all the growth tips on the vine because it is so much bigger and more dense this year(3rd year). I got what I wanted from the vine in that it is now spreading out along the top of the fence, but that also means I have to get out the ladder to check the upper portion for aphids. One downside to the early leaf-out this year is I may have to be dealing with aphids for a longer period. Last year they vanished once it got hot in June. It's a long way til June.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Pennytoo)

April 4 2012, 7:08 PM 

The cold weather here after 2 weeks of summer like weather has retarded both the gold flame and the Coral honeysuckle. Neither have any bloom clusters developing but the Gold flame is leafing better than the species. It will probably be at least another week or two before I see anything developing as next week looks to be below normal temps here too.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 4 2012, 11:06 PM 

What is the recommended way to best prune this vine? Mine desperately needs to be cut back, but I don't want to take too much off and kill it. No chance of frost here, only more heat and high temps.

(Login Pennytoo)

April 4 2012, 11:15 PM 

I cut my back as much as I need to to keep it in check and so that it stays neat. Two years ago I cut about two thirds of it down and let it restart. this yr I cut out all the vines that were growing out and hindering air circulation and more on the ends so that it would fill in more in the middle. It is a pretty forgiving vine and will start putting out new growth almost immediately. I alreadyn have new growth on mine and it has only been a couple of weeks since I cut it back

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 5 2012, 9:30 AM 

What I've done the last two years is wait until the vine starts putting out growth in spring, then do whatever pruning is necessary to remove any dead sections of vine or keep it tidy. My vine is growing on a trellis against the fence at the entrance to my backyard, so I can't let it bush out too much or it will obstruct the entrance. I had to prune off some good new growth last month because it was sticking out too much. It's still going to be big and dense this year and I'm sure I'll be struggling to keep it tidy by mid summer. I noticed yesterday there is suddenly a group of new shoots emerging from the base of the plant as well, so that will fill in the lower part this summer. This plant seems to be quite vigorous.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 5 2012, 6:56 PM 

I cut my vines back pretty hard and that seems to invigorate them.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 5 2012, 10:34 PM 

Thanks everyone!

I've only lightly pruned mine in the years it's been growing. It's out of control now and is mixed in with another fast growing vine, Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata), along with a Plumbago bush that has also gone wild at about 9-10 ft. tall. I've been remiss in pruning that area of the fence because of all the blooms. Those plants attract butterflies and hummers. The mass jungle of plants intertwine doesn't look very attractive anymore and the vine bases are bare as the new growth has sprawled all over the top of the fence. The other problem is it is making a very good hiding place for rodents. All of those plants need to be cut back and soon! We had a mild winter and they never slowed down from growing from last year. I just don't want to cut them back so much that I might kill them. They really attract the nectar loving creatures. The other thing is that I never fertilize any of them. I've been amazed that they grow so well in the heat, poor soil, no fertilizer, or even regular watering. They must all be drought-tolerant plants that prefer to be grow without any extra care. Perfect plants for me where I live! They just need to be managed a little better. I guess I am like a lot of gardeners ... I hate to cut back any plants that have blooms that attract the creatures I want to come to my yard. It's hard to cut off perfectly good nectar blooms. So ... I need to just get out there and do it! Thanks for the pruning/cutting back information!

~Becky~

Click for Sebastian, Florida Forecast

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 10 2012, 6:28 PM 

I'm really getting tired of checking my honeysuckle for aphids. Every other day or so I search through every growth tip I can find(dozens/hundreds) and squish all the aphids. Of course, if there are aphids the growth tip is probably already lost. I've begun to pinch off the deformed tips, of which there are plenty. Every aphid I squish is then just replaced by another in a day or two. Going through this process all spring is pretty tedious. Why does such a nice hummer plant have to have such a terrible pest problem? [linked image]

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 10 2012, 8:36 PM 

Dan

Lately when I check my coral honeysuckle if I see growth tip with aphids I just pinch that whole tip off . Just let it start over from that point and now when I check it I may not have as many blooms but the ones I do have are free of aphids and growing out.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Peter
(Login Pitter12345)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 11 2012, 8:23 AM 

I planted some Coral Honeysuckle and my problem is there are hardly ever any blooms. Typical temperature is upper fifties at night and mid sixties in the daytime. Wonder if that's the problem.

Peter
Valle De Cauca
Colombia

https://sites.google.com/site/colombianaturesite/nature-images

80259.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 11 2012, 8:48 AM 

While it is true that it might not like your climate it is also true that this plant take a while to get rolling. In my experience it can take a couple of years to have a really productive vine. I am having trouble picturing Coral Honeysuckle with Toucan, not that I am against the idea.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 13 2012, 11:11 AM 

It is also my feeling from my limited experience that it takes a while for any vine to produce , the first year ok but nothing like the succeeding second and third years. Also you may need to give them some bloom booster. It also all goes back to the root system.

I have seen the same with other plants such as my guaranitica blue ensign which is a taller version of black and blue. I forget whether this is the 4th or 5th year but the root system has become quite massive the result being the size and fullness of the 5ft plant compared to the first rather skeletal year.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 14 2012, 12:15 AM 

I agree with Steve. I have used Bloom Booster and have gotten many small vines to bloom and grow some good sized roots using that type of fertilizer. Mine usually take off in growth in the second year here in FL.

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 21 2012, 7:34 PM 

The aphids were already getting bad and now they seem to have quadrupled again in the last week. They are overwhelming the vine and my effort to keep them in check. I was just out there again squishing and water-blasting. Doing that is bad enough on warm days, but it really sucks on chilly days like this(too many of these days lately and more to come). My hands got so cold I could barely feel them. Before coming back inside I went ahead and sprayed(misted) the entire vine with my commercial organic pest spray. I was too cold to spray all the individual growth tips, so who knows if it will do any good. It's getting to the point where I sometimes feel like just pulling the vine out of the ground. What's the point of having a spring-blooming hummer vine if it can't bloom worth a damn because it gets devoured by aphids every year? [linked image]

I should also add that I've also found a lot of ratty, deformed growth this season where I did not even notice any aphids. The tips just seemed to be growing crappy from the start. I don't know what's up with that. Just adding insult to injury.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 21 2012, 8:35 PM 

Dan,

My honeysuckles are having the same problem this year. I haven't seen any aphids but a lot of the new leaves are pale and deformed. I'm assuming it's from the freezes we've had after they started growing. If it's not one thing, it's another with trumpet honeysuckle.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 21 2012, 8:38 PM 

Dan

I know exactly how you feel. That is why I removed every leaf from a goldflame earlier this season. It is now leafing again but I just knew how the vine was going to look after the aphids were done with it.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 21 2012, 10:12 PM 

The only reason I missed this thread was that I didn't have aphids at all until a week ago. And even than they r in small quantity. Thats something I would NOT have expected to say. Here's the thread I started touting the miracle of Bonide systemic granuals applied 3months before any hummers were to arrive. As I type this I feel I will be jinxing myself and in the morning all hell will break loose!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/thread/1335032444/last-1335060167/What+healthy+looking+Honeysuckle+looks+like.++Amazing

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 22 2012, 6:24 AM 

I am seeing them on every honeysuckle. At the moment just a few but that can and probably will change fast.

(Login Pennytoo)

April 22 2012, 7:51 AM 

I may not have a problem with mine since nearly all the leaves are all wilted and black and the buds are toast too.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

I love Hummingbirds
(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 22 2012, 10:12 AM 

LoL Penny. The aphids sucked you dry than moved on.

(Login Pennytoo)

April 22 2012, 11:02 AM 

Pam it wasn't the aphids this year that did it in. It was the week long freezing temps after it started leafing out and developing blooms. First it was wilted then all the leaves turned black aad crspy and tyhe blooms turned black and fell off.Even the aphids don't want it at this point

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 22 2012, 11:21 AM 

I guess there is a point where mother nature just takes over and you dont have much of a choice but to throw in the towel, battle lost. Then you just wait for better weather and start over.

That was sort of what I did with the goldflame when I with utter disgust stripped every leaf from it about a month a go. Its now leafing again, will the aphids return most likely.

Update: I have discovered a few pockets of aphids on the major, bummer. But because it is supposedly insect resistant it may not be flooded with them as the others are. I found them in closed leaves. If they spead too much I may use the same method I used on coral but I have a feeling it wont be as bad as on those.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 7 2012, 1:36 PM 

A couple weeks ago I pretty much gave up fighting the aphids. I was tired of spending hours trying to keep them in check while still losing the battle. Well, I just checked my honeysuckle and it has officially been overrun. The thing is absolutely choking with aphids, thousands of them. Every new growth tip is lost, and nearly every developing bloom is covered with them to various degrees. This is 10x worse than the previous worst a couple weeks ago. Just unreal. I guess I had better blend up a garlic/soap spray I saw mentioned online and spray the vine heavily every evening if I don't want to lose the vine... although as worthless as this plant seems to be I guess losing it wouldn't be the end of the world.[linked image]

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 7 2012, 1:57 PM 

Dan,

Sorry to hear that you're having so much trouble. I noticed yesterday that there are new flower bud forming on my vines and most are untouched by aphids. The aphids spread so fast, though, that all the buds could be covered with them tomorrow.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 7 2012, 2:09 PM 

It can be bad some years although aphids never actually killed a honeysuckle of mine. Even in the worst years the vine eventually recovers and puts out a moderate set of blooms later in the summer and in the fall. I have not seen a native honeysuckle anywhere in my travels this spring that didn't have at least some aphids, although several experienced folks said they never noticed them before - not noticed is different from not had. It would seem the little buggers are part of what it is to grow honeysuckle. I would rather have less than perfect vines than none at all.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 7 2012, 2:39 PM 

Dan

IM truly sorry to hear you have so many aphids. Theres no doubt they can spread fast and Im not sure what the best defense is but Im thinking less is best. I continue to use neem oil in the evening as it is said the bright sun has an adverse affect on the mix. As far as I can tell I have some aphids on all my honeysuckles but major wheeler seems to have the least. I continue to pinch off affected clusters as those will never look right anyway because the dew aphids leave behind.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

May 7 2012, 3:16 PM 

Dan
I was in your position year before last. I ended up cutting my whole vine down to about 3ft. It resprouted, and was full of healthy blooms. Last year wasn't quite as bad but bad enough that they got away from me and I just did light pruning of the affected vines and blooms. This year it wasn't so much the aphids as it was the freezing temps after the blooms started to develop. I lost all my early blooms. That along with nearly all the leaves wilted turned black and crisp so now I am starting over yet again. Most of us have had to deal with one difficult situation or another with this plant but it will bounce back.
Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(no login)

Lonicera sempervirens aphids

May 7 2012, 9:52 PM 

Last year the first bloom on my Coral Honeysuckle was a total loss due to aphids. This year I sprayed with insecticidal soap as soon as they appeared, and again about a week later. That made a big difference. Today I sprayed again with homemade citrus spray. The vine isn't as pretty as it might have been, but the bloom loss is no more than 20%. I know this is a native vine. I wonder if these particular aphids are native or introduced. Hard to imagine this vigorous vine has always struggled this way.

(Login Pennytoo)

May 7 2012, 10:26 PM 

They are probably Japanese aphids that came over with the Japanese honeysuckle and the Japanese beetles and the Japanzese lady bugs.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 18 2012, 9:28 AM 

Yesterday I saw a blue-gray gnatcatcher eating aphids on the trumpet honeysuckle right outside my dining room window. I hate those aphids but it was cool that they attracted a gnatcather right outside my window. Gnatcathers aren't much bigger than hummingbirds.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 18 2012, 9:47 AM 

I don't know if any birds have ever visited my honeysuckle for an aphid snack because I can't see it from inside the house. I've never seen a gnatcatcher. Lord knows an aphid-loving bird could eat forever at my honeysuckle. It's amazing how thick the aphids are. In the next few days I plan to cut back several inches of nearly every growth tip on the vine. That will eliminate tens of thousands of aphids and also neaten the vine which is already about as bushed out as I'd like it to be. With summer weather here for good I'm hoping the aphids will gradually disappear like they did early last summer and the fresh growth will not be infested.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 18 2012, 12:52 PM 

Gary, I take it that "gnats" don't nest in your yard or nearby. I never would have expected a migrant this late. Around me they built their nests weeks ago.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 18 2012, 1:43 PM 

I cant say that I have ever seen any birds snacking on aphids here but you never know for sure. Between the aphids and frosts my coral suckle went down to nothing but it looks like now it starting to re-bloom but Im still pumping the neem oil more because of the goldflame that I stripped a couple of months ago and hope it will do ok.

I may be trying Pam's preseason treating and if that doesnt work I may just go to all major wheelers in my yard.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 18 2012, 3:57 PM 

Ward,

I've never seen or heard a gnatcatcher in my yard before. I live near the Maumee River and I run on a wooded trail that is along the river and I don't ever remember hearing them sing there, either. They are abundant birds about 30 minutes away in the Oak Openings Openings Region but not in my area. I agree that it does seem late for a gnatcatcher to be migrating through. I'll have to pay more attention and really listen for their quiet song to find out if they're nesting around here.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 18 2012, 4:18 PM 

I don't hear their lisping sneezy call very well anymore and I can't recall hearing the song this spring - a worry. The east needs more species of gnatcatchers than one. The west has us numbers-wise yet again. It could be that we have been overlooking late migrants because other than a sighting like yours where you know they aren't breeders how would you know for sure. They are odd creatures - often the first time we see them fresh from Mexico they already are already going to a half or fully completed nest. On topic a gnatcatcher nest looks not much different from a hummer nest.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 18 2012, 4:48 PM 

As of today my coral honeysuckle looks pretty clean surprisingly as does my goldflame. Of course that does not mean aphids are not there just cant see them now.

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 19 2012, 9:28 PM 

Glad to hear most of you have some healthy growing vines! May the blooms bring you many hummers!

I am always moving my potted plants around. This one needs more sun or less sun. This plant might look better here. That one might look better over there. That is one of the advantages of growing in containers. You can change your garden without digging! [linked image] Today I moved more container plants near the fence where my vines are.

This is what my Coral Honeysuckle looked like a few weeks ago after I did a hard prune. Looks very sad and barren...

[linked image]

In this photo you can see all the new growth! I am delighted to see it coming back and quickly! I think the rain we've had really helped. That's Wendy's Wish in the raised planter.

[linked image]

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL

(Login Pennytoo)

May 19 2012, 9:54 PM 

Becky your honeysuckle should start growing very quickly now especially with your temps it will fill back out in no time at all.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 19 2012, 10:01 PM 

Penny - Do you think it will bloom again this year? I've read when some plants are hard pruned, they won't bloom that year.

~Becky~

(Login Pennytoo)

May 20 2012, 7:09 AM 

The year that I cut mine back hard like yours it definitely did bloom that same year and it bloomed well. I really should have done it again this year, it probably would be blooming by now or close to it.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 20 2012, 11:34 AM 

Penny - So glad to hear that! I am sure the hummers will be, too!

I noticed more blooms on my whacked back Crossvine this morning! Cracks me up that they are blooming near the ground like that! At least I know they are doing well enough to actually bloom! The root system must be very healthy!

(Login Pennytoo)

May 20 2012, 1:49 PM 

It sure does sound like it is healthy Becky. You will have to post a picture of your honeysuckle when it fills back out again. The year I cut mine down was the best blooming year I ever had. People actually stopped by to look at it because it bloomed almost from the ground on on and over the 6 ft. tall fence so people could see it from the road.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 20 2012, 1:59 PM 

Penny - Oh! Wouldn't that be something! I hope you are right!

My east neighbor sees all the plants that peek through over the fence on her side of the yard and is always inviting her friends & visitors to look at them! LOL! She even got out her ladder one day to peer over into my yard to see everything. I work and am not home except in the evenings and weekends, so am rarely out and about to talk to any of my neighbors. Her backyard is taken up by a pool and large screen porch area. She had the pool put in for her late husband. She can't swim, so never uses the pool. I think she would rather have a garden in her backyard. I do invite the neighbors to my yard whenever I've completed a project. They are often standing around outside and watching me unload supplies and wondering what I'm up to next! I garden on a budget so I've learned to use cheap, but worthwhile materials for hardscaping! LOL!

I have two more of these coral honeysuckles. One is on the other side of the yard in another bed against the fence and is much younger than this one. And the front yard vine is in a pot where it's roots have grown through the drain holes. It needs to be relocated. Amazing how they thrive no matter what abuse they receive!

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 21 2012, 8:13 PM 

This evening I finished cutting out all the deformed and aphid-infested growth I could find in my honeysuckle. I'm sure there are some aphids still hiding out inside the core of the plant, but I'm confident I got rid of at least 95% of them. Now I just have to hope they don't come back in large numbers. When I cleaned out the top of the vine I did notice that, while there were a lot of bad growth tips, there really were not that many aphids. Maybe that's a sign they are beginning to wane with the approach of summer heat.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Pennytoo)

May 21 2012, 11:46 PM 

I also cut out most of my coral honeysuckle but I think it is just going to take some consistantly warm weather before my plant bounces bac.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 22 2012, 6:20 AM 

So far no bugs here (KNOCK ON WOOD!). My honeysuckle has been in good shape, but the warmer days we have been having has certainly perked them up.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 25 2012, 12:18 PM 

update: my coral honeysuckle seems to have rebounded as my previous neem oil spray and pinching of infested clusters may be finally paying off it looks pretty good best the foliage has looked this season although Im seeing some webbing so I will spray again today for mites but Im not seeing aphids at this point.

Photobucket

Photobucket

A couple of months ago I had removed every leaf from my goldflame and to this point it looks pretty healthy and foliage looks very healthy and I will contine with my neem regimen.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 25 2012, 9:39 PM 

Beautiful honeysuckle. If my youngins turn out half as nice as yours I will consider myself fortunate. I was all excited yesterday seeing a male work over the one bloom I have so far on a Major Wheeler.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 26 2012, 1:55 AM 

Steve - Those vines are looking great! Looks like the neem oil did the trick!

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 26 2012, 11:03 AM 

Cautiously hoping!

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

May 26 2012, 1:03 PM 

Joni,
Dogwooderitternet on EBay has Major Wheeler Honeysuckle. Here is the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONICERA-MAJOR-WHEELER-HONEYSUCKLE-PLANT-/390423027415?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae7069ed7
I ordered one last week from him and had it 3 days later

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 28 2012, 1:06 PM 

I too ordered another from this ebay seller and got rather quickly. I had previously layered one for my sister but she gave it to her boyfriend now shes having second thoughts so I will give her this one once it gets a little bigger and on its way.

Also I have to say my coral honeysuckle has never looked as good as the photos above show. Considering I was battling aphids early on on it thats saying something and as they a photo is worth a thousand words.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

May 28 2012, 1:43 PM 

My coral honeysuckle still hasn't recovered. It has been putting out new growth but no blooms so I will have to hope that my gold flame blooms soon. This fall I will cut my coral all the way down and start over. I wish I had a picture of it from two years ago. It was 8ft wide and in bloom from about foot from the bottom of the trunk all the way to the top and then over the fence onto the other side. That was also after I had cut it down. So by cutting it all the way down again I should be able to get rid of all those darn bugs.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 28 2012, 1:49 PM 

Penny

I guess sometimes you just have to take those drastic measures. It was about two months ago that I stripped every leaf from my goldflame and Im now hoping it wont be infected again as at the moment its looking so very healthy.

Dan--How are your pink preference doing? Mine looks healthy enough just not blooming as yet but they always seem to be slow getting going.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 28 2012, 3:37 PM 

Steve, my one pp that regrew this spring is about a foot tall. It looks good, but there are no signs of buds. I'm guessing it'll be another few weeks. I recently planted three more small pp cuttings, but they won't bloom til at least August.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 28 2012, 10:02 PM 

I have a winner! Seems the crossvine and the coral honeysuckle are climbing neck to neck to the top of the fence since being hard-pruned. The crossvine won! It is even blooming off and on as well as if to say "YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD TAME ME! NEVER!!!!" No sign of a single bud on the coral honeysuckle yet. I hope it does soon! I have hungry hummers that want to eat!

The crossvine has come back with a vengeance! I feel a twinge of fear! Just how robust will these vines be this year? The plumbago is back, too! This is going to be an interesting growing season! Probably to the delight of the Ruby-throated hummingbirds! [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 28 2012, 10:04 PM 

Forgot to add a photo of the crossvine taken today. I think it's been about a month since I hard-pruned it. Maybe 5 weeks ... I can't remember for sure, but it's not been that long ago...

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

May 29 2012, 7:04 AM 

I cut one of my crossvines right down to the ground because it wasn't leafing out so I figured that it had died. Well wasn't I surprised when several new stems emerged almost overnight. It is growing nearly a foot a day. The one started from seed is blooming its little head off. It has been 3 or 4 years since I first started that seed. I also have a rooted cutting that I thought had died and that one has been putting out all new growth too and trying to twine around my picket fence. One more week and it will be going to a new home.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 29 2012, 9:03 AM 

Crossvine, I take it that it would be a good substitute for not having trumpet climber? And it is not as much as a root runner also?

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 29 2012, 9:23 AM 

In my garden the cross vine is very easy to grow, but it is not a major hummingbird attractor. The coral honeysuckle, on the other hand, is easy to grow, hardy, non-invasive and a major hummingbird plant.

In early spring the coral honeysuckle is probably the favorite of all my plants for hummingbirds. It blooms off and on all summer and into the fall. It is a must have plant, in my opinion.

Clermont.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

May 29 2012, 9:39 AM 

Paula,
Tom is right it certainly won't take the place of a honeysuckle but I have seen hummers use it in past years and it is much more well-behaved than its cousin, the Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans). Since my honeysuckle has yet to recover from the late freeze and then aphid attack I am thrilled to see all the blooms on the crossvine this year. My large one that I cut all the way to the ground is sending up shoots from the crown and it has been in that spot for 3 or 4 years. The one grown from seed out back has been in its location for two year. If there are any runners, they are on the other side of the fence in my neighbor's yard LOL!

Speaking of honeysuckle....My Gold Flame is FINALLY developing bloom buds. This is one honeysuckle that does like soil that is more moist and well drained and would probably do very well in the PNW

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 29 2012, 11:19 AM 

Thanks Tom and Penny! I think I will just stick to my honeysuckle then. I now have Coral, Major Wheeler, and Dropmore Scarlet varieties. And know where I can find Goldflame...lol. I want a whole wall of honeysuckles.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 29 2012, 11:35 AM 

There is nothing like a healthy honeysuckle vine that is in full bloom and not infested by aphids or mites for its ability to draw hummers to it. At present my coral honeysuckle , major wheeler are in full bloom with no insects at present and as I say this I am aware they still could re-infect. My goldflame is looking healthy but Im waiting for it to bloom.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 29 2012, 11:59 AM 

I really need to think about getting a bigger trellis for this coral honeysuckle as its doing so well but is being held back with the cheap trellis I have it on.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 29 2012, 12:36 PM 

Steve, I've posted and perhaps boasted about this before, but my "trellises" are supported by steel tubes that are cemented at the bottom with over 100 lbs of cement. I also have metal "fencing" supported by these tubes.

I experienced a blow over of my fencing (some is over ten feet high)around four years ago. It blew over two long areas--one about twenty feet long and the other about forty feet or so. I had coral honeysuckle on one and Pipevines on the other. It was a major hassle setting them upright and I determined that I wasn't going to do it again. It took my back a long time to recover.

I just went to the back of my property and looked at the "trellis" that I put up there. It is now overgrown with coral honeysuckle that is in full bloom again. Unfortunately I don't get to see most of the blooms since it gets most of its sunshine from a neighbor's yard and has grown mostly that way. It is now about three feet deep, in addition to about ten feet high. I keep thinking I'm going to trim it back, but then I see different birds going into it and I think they must have nests. Probably wasps nests in there as well.

Clermont.gif

I love Hummingbirds
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Lost the battle

June 1 2012, 10:45 PM 

I had to cut my Lonicera sempervirens down due to a mass re-infestation of aphids. I left about 12 inches of stems and a handful of leaves. I expect it will make a comeback. If not I have cuttings well established.

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 5 2012, 1:40 PM 

It appears the aphids are gone. I cut off all the infested growth a couple weeks ago and so far I have not seen any aphids at all on the small new growth tips. Also, some old growth tips inside the plant, which were heavily infested but got missed while pruning, are now aphid-free and only have some kind of dead aphid residue on them. I also just found the very first perfect bloom cluster of the season. It will be later in June before any of the brand new growth tips put out blooms. It's nice that aphids seem to vanish in June, but it's too bad it doesn't happen a month sooner.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 5 2012, 8:39 PM 

D Kleiser

A lot of us have been where you are with aphids. Way back in march In disgust I cut my goldflame way back to nothing and not a leaf was left. It is now very beautifull plenty of clusters and and not an aphid to be seen as yet. Cant wait till they fully bloom. I did give it plenty of doses of neem oil Im assuming that helped.

Dan-- I hope as you that we are done with aphids for this season. Next up japanese beetles.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 5 2012, 9:57 PM 

What I have always observed in my yard is that whenever I have an aphid invasion, within a week an army of ladybugs arrive. Afterwards, the aphids are gone 5-7 days later. Ladybugs do a very efficient job! I had aphids all over some of my milkweed and my grape vine. None now. Plants have recovered like it never happened. I've learned to give nature a chance to balance things out. The only thing that doesn't seem to balance out naturally is the number of wasps to the caterpillar survivors. I have to cage the caterpillars to protect them from being killed by the wasps. I see wasps all day long until right at dark when they return to wherever their nest is. It's an endless battle with the wasps.

Patti S
(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

June 5 2012, 11:16 PM 

My honeysuckle are gone! I am tired of feeding bugs. I have the birds without them. Schummani is gone. I am tired of feeding the bugs. I have the birds without them. I have 'David Verity'. I am getting too old to spend my life fighting. Fighting bugs! I have bigger problems. I still have plenty of birds. I need less bugs.

I know that these plants are wonderful attractors for the birds. They also are high maintainace dus to the insects. I just do not have that kind of time.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

I love Hummingbirds
(no login)

June 5 2012, 11:36 PM 

Patti - I can totally relate to you! I posted this on another thread earlier this evening:

"I'm sitting here wondering why I need nectar plants in my yard except for the butterflies. I mean .. really??? The birds in the winter and now summer only seem to exhibit interest in the feeders???? Makes no sense to me. Are these birds feeder junkies? Does that happen ... that some hummers get so used to feeders that they don't use nectar plants? Or are my nectar plants nectarless or have so little nectar that the hummers don't even bother with them. Could high temps and sun cause the blooms to produce less or no nectar? There are lots and lots of blooms in my yard! Most of them are hummer plants. What gives???? I'm stumped."

I feel like a slave to my plants. It might be worth it IF the hummers used all or some of these plants ... but that seems not to be the case in my yard in Winter and in Spring/Summer currently. Go figure! I guess it's a good thing I still grow plants for ME! At least I appreciate & enjoy them even if the garden visitors don't. [linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

June 6 2012, 6:33 AM 

I can also relate Patti and I have narrowed down the plants in my yard to the ones that work the best for me either in attracting hummers and or less maintenance. I haven't given up on my Coral honey suckle just yet. Cutting it down in the fall or first thing in the spring seems to help with the aphid problem tho I didn't do it this year and I paid the price. I have also ordered another honeysuckle (Major Wheeler) and will see how that one does. Gold Flame so far this year has been aphid free but it is a bit more tempermental than the Coral.

This will probably be the last year for C. Schumanni. My overwintered cutting from last year just isn't growing at all. If I don't see some kind of growth in the next week or two it will probably come out and be replaced by one of the other plants that are still in pots.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 6 2012, 9:36 AM 

I am really surprised that aphids do so much damage to your plants. They are the least of my concerns here in Florida. I've seen little damage to plants from aphids. The beetles, stink bugs, and milkweed bugs do a LOT of damage. Interesting how different climates and zones have different insect issues.

Caterpillars are rarely a concern since I garden for butterflies, too!

~Becky~

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 17 2012, 9:54 AM 

My honeysuckle is putting out a fair number of buds, but I've also noticed that aphids are beginning to return. Most of the buds are clean, but this morning I found a few with one or two aphids and I even found a few with a moderate cluster of aphids. Boy, I wish these damn things would just vanish for good.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Pennytoo)

June 17 2012, 10:19 AM 

Dan
I know how you feel. I get ill when I look at how back my honeysuckle looks this year. The last three years added together wouldn't be as bad or as prolonged as this year. Mine has always bounced back by now and been loaded with blooms but not this year. I also usually have quite a few yellow jackets in and around my honeysuckle when it is blooming but so far not this year. I wonder if the yellow jackets were keeping the aphids down...something to ponder.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Current Topic - Coral Honeysuckle  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005