<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Coral Honeysuckle

March 18 2012 at 3:27 PM
Dan  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

It's only mid March, but the weather is so incredibly warm my honeysuckle is putting out a lot of growth. Unfortunately, that also means one bad thing... APHIDS!!! They are not wasting any time this year. My honeysuckle is just beginning to have leaves mature enough for them and I already found some this morning. [linked image] It looks like I'll have to check every day so I can squish and spray them off. I sure hope it's not as bad as last year, but the incredibly warm winter probably means bad insects this spring/summer.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Mar 18, 2012 3:29 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Coral Honeysuckle

March 18 2012, 4:06 PM 

I cut mine back yesterday and opened it up so that more air could get through hopefully that will thwart the aphids some.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 18 2012, 4:30 PM 

Dan

If you hadnt started this thread I would have. Im sorry to hear that you have found aphids already. I checked all my honeysuckle earlier today and cant tell that I have them as yet but that means very little. Also spider mites can be a problem, so I will be hitting them with neem as soon as I see any evidence of them. It does no good to pretreat with this. Yes I agree it certainly is strange we have to talk about and deal with this in mid march. I am very low on neem but I do have a good bit of bonide horticultural spray which is for organic gardening and does the same thing smothers insects.

I have also given my honeysuckle a dose on a regimen of liquid seaweed hoping this will help them to be more resistant to disease and insects. Cant hurt since I do have it.

Another reason I am glad this thread is started is because my major wheeler has set clusters and may soon be blooming which is surprising once again because it is march . I am expecting a more mature season with the major this season. It looks very good at this point.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Linda
(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 18 2012, 7:42 PM 

I guess I'm lucky, I don't get aphids on my honeysuckle, but I do get leaf miner sometimes.

Find more about Weather in Virginia Beach, VA

I take that back. Just found aphids. Is it okay to use Bonide All Seasons Spray Oil? I used it a couple years ago on
the leaf miner and it worked well. It has aphids listed on bottle as well. It is horticultural and Dormant.

This message has been edited by roper2008 on Apr 7, 2012 5:56 PM

Jim
(Login yardbirdjim)
Hummingbirder 2012

March 19 2012, 3:01 AM 

I guess I am also lucky in not getting any aphids. It could happen yet but it seems that all these hungry vicious killer ladybugs have things under control. They even bite me and it hurts. The only things that I have seen on my coral honeysuckle vines are hummingbirds, cardinals, mockingbirds and occasionally a red-tailed hawk! I don't know what he was after but he caught my eye and only reluctantly departed after my approach got too close. The squawking mockingbird that was a few feet away on the honeysuckle at that time did not leave. I will have to start looking a lot closer but it has been many years since I have seen an aphid infestation. Even then the little suckers didn't seem to do much damage except give me the chilly-willys when I saw the large herds. Back then, I purchased a small bag of seemingly harmless ladybugs and released them. I now have a carnivorous ladybug infestation. One time I went into my storage building looking for something. I looked into a large open sack and saw that it was about half full of corn. Then all that corn started moving in a swirling motion. Ouch!

Jim
south Georgia
zone 8

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 19 2012, 4:07 PM 

I took another close look today on my honeysuckle and I found some. I had to open the leaves where the small clusters are and that is where they are and can usually be found there if anywhere. Now its time for action. I found mine on goldflame but Im sure they are on coral honeysuckle also.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

March 19 2012, 4:14 PM 

I think the aphids are more oif a plague to those of us up north than to those in the southern states. It could be that they can't take the prolonged heat and humidity as they seem to thrive in our cool wet spring weather...one more reason to move back south.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 19, 2012 6:11 PM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 19 2012, 5:15 PM 

Im guessing ladybugs are not plentifull enough in my area. I have had them save a plant before though.

As for coral honeysuckle hummerbirds love them its just that aphids seem to love them more and I for one have had to battle the aphids for years now . C.H. starts out looking awesome then the insects get to them it seems. I tried major wheeler last year and it seemed to do pretty well pretty much insect and mildew free as advertized .

I gave a dose of neem today but will wait till most of the clusters open before I hit them again, its just easier when dont have to open each and every leaf cluster by hand.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Mar 19, 2012 5:17 PM

jana
(no login)

March 19 2012, 10:07 PM 

I make up a dish soap and vegetable oil spray for the aphids. Works well on the milkweed aphids also.

Hummerless in Montverde.

Jana & Joy

Greg Scott
(Login Greg_Scott)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Are aphids so bad?

March 20 2012, 2:46 AM 

Do hummingbirds eat aphids? How much do they damage the plants?

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

March 20 2012, 7:40 AM 

Yes Hummers as well as other birds will eat aphids. The aphids can destroy the early spring blooms making them completely useless to hummers. Two years ago I had to cut my mature honeysuckle down to about two ft. off the ground because they had destroyed every single bloom.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Mar 20, 2012 8:49 AM

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Major Wheeler

March 20 2012, 11:56 AM 

Im curious to know if anyone that has the major wheeler version of honeysuckle is bothered with aphids on it. Im into my second season with it and so far have not seen any on it. I just made a fairly thorough inspection by opening many of the leaflets that contain the bloom clusters and so far have found no aphids. But both goldflame and coral honeysuckle do have.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Gary
(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 20 2012, 12:51 PM 

Steve,

This is also only my second season for Major Wheeler but I didn't have any aphid problems with it last year but the other trumpet honeysuckle cultivars I have all had aphids last year.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 20 2012, 7:32 PM 

Gary

Glad to hear that report from you. I ditto what you said. I also layered a cutting from it last fall and will be giving it to my sister who also has honeysuckles with aphids and a terrible mildew problem.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

March 22 2012, 10:39 PM 

Mildew & fungus is supposed to be very high around here due to the mild winter & hot spring. Some tree pollen counts are already tripled they say.

I have yet to move my 'Dropmore Scarlet' out of the retaining bed next to the house to outside the bed so I don't have root issues with my sump this year. I intend on moving it out this Sunday if we don't get too much rain. It's been leaving out this week & I have several buds ready to pop any day now. Didn't look real close since I got home late but didn't see any aphids yet. I went for a few years with none & then was jinxed last year. Wasn't too bad though.

I also made the mistake a few years back planting 2 small Lonicera out in the bed & staked them yet didn't get the PVC arbor support built as they grew. They have been naturally forming a bush & several stems have rooted to the ground. 1 was 'Blanch Sandman' & the other 'John Clayton'. I'm not sure which one I dug up but finally moved one. Got it planted but didn't get to prune it but think I'm cutting back pretty good so the roots will establish better. It got too dark to check the other last night but checked it tonight & it's going to be a little more difficult as many large stems are rooted. I still want to make a PVC tower for it to climb on but will steer away from an actual arbor. 'Major Wheeler' was either not ready to sell or sold out the times I tried finding it. It is on my list to get this year.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 23 2012, 12:21 PM 

Once aphids put their imprint on honeysuckle it seems they never completely recover even if you do get rid of most of the aphids with whatever method you use. Leaves and flowers have the look that just by looking at them you know have or have had aphids from the leaf curl or otherwise not looking right at all.

So with all that said Im now considering starting more cuttings from major wheeler and replacing my other 2 honeysuckles with these.

Those of you that dont have to deal with aphids invading your honeysuckle consider yourselves lucky. For it is a heartbreaking thing to have your honeysuckle start out looking beautifull and then come the aphids and they never look completely healthy again.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 12:46 PM 

I suspect that any type of Lonicera sempervirons can get attached by aphids. What I have noticed is aphids seem to be less of a problem on young plants for some reason. The first of sempervirons started to bloom about a week ago, record early. Magnifica has some flowers, an unknown type does too, and Alabama Crimson is probably about a week or so away.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 23 2012, 1:00 PM 

I'm seeing little buds begin to develop on my honeysuckle. We are getting into a bit more normal(cooler) weather pattern so it may still be a while before I see any blooms. I've been checking my plant daily for aphids and, fortunately, there have only been a few. I hope they don't get bad because my 3rd-year plant is going to be big and dense. It will take a lot of time and effort to remove them from all the hiding spots.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 23 2012, 1:56 PM 

Ward

Are you growing "major wheeler"? I suspect you are correct in your assessment but so far I can see no signs of aphids on my second year plant when other cultivars do have them. Being paranoid about aphids I check my MW daily with in intense inspection as if I know they are there and where are they hiding but so far I find nothing. This current plant is sitting in a location where I previously had a coral honeysuckle plant that was eventually destroyed by the aphids so its not location.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 23 2012, 2:21 PM 

It would be great if your speculation was true. All I am suggesting is it be early yet to know for sure, if that is ever possible. When my Magnifica was younger it was aphid free for several years while a Alabama Crimson 30 feet away was a complete mess. I have never lost a honeysuckle to aphids and the infestations seem to subside by late June. Since sempervirons, even those called everblooming, do their big show in May and June, it couldn't happen at a worse time.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005