<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Mimulus cardinalis

June 15 2012 at 1:53 PM
  (Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

One of the advantages of heavy, clay soil is the opportunity to grow Monkey Flower. We pretty reliably have it come back year after year without any special protection (although I buy a new plant every year just in case.) It started blooming last week. Here's a photo:

[linked image]

It has also worked out well in containers as it's a shorter plant.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Mimulus cardinalis

June 15 2012, 2:47 PM 

Very pretty flower. Does it attract hummers, Kathi?

Clermont.gif

(Login curlsihave)
Hummingbirder 2012

June 15 2012, 4:38 PM 

I've thown seeds of the plant in my garden but never got a plant. I haven't tried to sow it indoors. I did get a plant of Mimulus ringens to grow from scattered seed. It doesn't seem to attract too much attention. It's a small plant that hasn't spread at all. I don't have the heart to dig it up. It's been there for at least 5 years.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Mimulus cardinalis

June 15 2012, 5:06 PM 

We have seen hummers use this plant and it contains nectar. It's short stature is perhaps its biggest downfall though.

Linsey, we have also tried Mimulus ringens and despite our clay soil and moisture, it only lasted a few years, but we did see some hummer interest.

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 15 2012, 6:06 PM 

Pretty little plant! I wonder if it would do well in a hanging basket near the hummer feeder?

(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 16 2012, 9:20 AM 

Kathi and Michael:

I kind of went overboard with it this year, planting out a large area in my beds to some seed-grown plants. I've tried it before a few times from a number of different seed sources, and have been struck by how different plants grown from different seed sources can be. I've had some with short stature (about a foot) and others with taller (about 2.5ft) height, some with red flowers and others with more melon-colored flowers. There is even a yellow-flowered variant, though I haven't tried that one. Some are hardy, and some are not. The plant has a fairly large geographic distribution, which would help explain that variety. I've had it grow and bloom well, especially in the early part of the season, but it always looks like a mess by mid-season. This year, if it grows well, I may try cutting it back when it starts to look disheveled to see if that helps. Have you had that problem, and if so, have you figured out a remedy? If you haven't had that problem, can I please get some seed from your plants?!

Donald

PS: I remember a thread about this plant from a few years ago with some beautiful pictures of some plants that Kristin grew.

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

Lisa
(Login birdgardner)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 16 2012, 11:06 PM 

Funny - I always thought my clay soil is what kills off the monkey flower. Winter over - it doesn't even make it through the summer here! It's lasted about a month the three or four times I've tried it.

My feeling about it is that it wants the ideal conditions for cardinal flower - rich, damp, loose soil in full sun, but at least cardinal flower doesn't insist on the ideal - it will soldier on in part shade, or the occasional dry spell, or heavy compact soil. Monkey flower is such a fainting, dying diva.

I see you have it with the touch-me-not, which does fine for me. Maybe I should try it next to that, though I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Your plant is so pretty. Any tips, other than it likes clay!!!

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 17 2012, 7:38 AM 

Beautiful plant/photo!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA
Click for weather forecast

Current Topic - Mimulus cardinalis  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005