<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens

July 14 2012 at 9:22 AM

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I made a separate thread because of pixel uploading, and I hate clickables. If any wants I can certainly make a separate thread with those (Ward) if you would like. Not a problem in the least.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

NOW do you SEE why the Pond Lily's were my favorite??? Those Water Platters were Awesome!!! And the gardner was very nice also!! If I lived near there, I would volunteer in a heartbeat!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens

July 14 2012, 9:27 AM 

I have never seen anything like that before....that was awsome! Are the water platters what the lily pads are grown in? I am totally clueless.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jul 14, 2012 10:47 AM

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 14 2012, 10:39 AM 

Most definitely different.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 14 2012, 2:13 PM 

No Penny, Nothing grows inside the plates, I did see a large bud growing from under it but it may have just been another plate. It was a little difficult to converse with that worker, as SHE was in the water and I was 20 feet away on land. She was smiling away though, loves her job. I know I would too!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

July 14 2012, 2:15 PM 

OK so what is the purpose of the plates? I hate to keep asking questions. I have just never seen anything like that before

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login nalono)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 14 2012, 3:23 PM 

What great photos! Thanks for sharing them. Just beautiful!

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 14 2012, 3:45 PM 

No idea Penny, have to google it. I just tought they were so cool in the pond.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Pennytoo)

July 14 2012, 4:04 PM 

It is cool. I wonder if it is a landing pad for dragonflies and frogs?

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 14 2012, 5:35 PM 

Pam - I love the water gardening photos! My favorite way to garden. I have a number of water containers in my garden.

The "plates" that everyone is asking about are actually water lilies called "Victoria Waterlilies". They have large pads that can actually hold a small child as seen in some of these photos:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Victoria+Waterlilies&hl=en&client=firefox&hs=bAB&rls=com.yahoo:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=buUBUK68M4jO9QTNp7iGCA&ved=0CE4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=801

Wished I had a pond big enough to grow some!

Did you see any water lotus, Pam?

(Login Pennytoo)

July 14 2012, 6:29 PM 

Becky
Thank you for the additional information. Those are absolutely increcdible. I have never seen such a thing much less heard of them before.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 14 2012, 11:32 PM 

Pam - I was just looking again at these photos above. (I really like this thread.) I saw the "Sunny Pink" waterlilies. I just received some for postage last week. They are small plants still, but grow fast. The person who shared them with me said they were her favorite waterlilies of all. Bloomed profusely and grew quick! I see them in the 10th photo and they are indeed stunning! I can't wait to see mine bloom!

I was surprised there were no Lotus plants in any of your photos. If waterlilies can be grown at Longwood, then so could Water Lotus. I love Lotus, too!

For anyone who hasn't tried water gardening ... just let me say it is the easiest gardening you can do! I just top the water off every few days and fertilize with pond fertilizer tabs once a month during the growing season. I have several in small containers and have even experimented with some by growing them in tea cups and coffee mugs! LOL! They are not dwarf or mini waterlilies, but I like to push the limit with some plants. They do grow in some spaces, but getting them to bloom has proven to be a challenge.

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 15 2012, 3:36 AM 

Becky, I will look for the Lotus at a less ungodly hour. I'm sure they are there. I'd love if you'd share some pics of your pond. It must be the Picese in me that draws me to the water every time.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login Carolmb)
Hummingbird Member 2006

The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens

July 15 2012, 6:48 AM 

Awesome, just awesome Pam! Such peaceful water gardens...!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6
[linked image]

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 15 2012, 2:32 PM 

I didn't tell you about the lotus ponds for a reason or several reasons. First because they are hard to miss and 2nd because some things should be stunning surprises. Not only the lilies and lotuc are beautiful so are the marginal plants.

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 15 2012, 3:47 PM 

Ward, the last garden we saw was the one you mentioned to the left of the entrance. It was spectacular as you can see! I want to go back, keep that in mindand that weekdays I am available!! Hope you had fun in South South Jersey. wink.gif

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 15 2012, 3:49 PM 

Also Ward, were you able to view thepics without an all day wait for them to load???

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 15 2012, 5:16 PM 

So Ward was leaving a surprise view for you, Pam! Yes, you couldn't miss the water gardens!

I only grow water plants in large containers to small containers. I won't post any photos here and spoil the beauty of Longwood Gardens! LOL! Mine aren't blooming right now either because I just cleaned out the containers and repotted everything. I just grow waterlilies and lotus and a couple different marginal plants. Nothing that would knock anyone's socks off like the photos in this thread! But I hope others realize that these water containers are very easy to do and the plants grow well in the sSpring, Summer, and early Fall months. If I can grow them, anyone can!!!! You just need a sunny spot to sit the pot. [linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image]

~Becky~

This message has been edited by beckygardener on Jul 15, 2012 5:18 PM

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 15 2012, 6:13 PM 

The American Lotus grow wild a few places in New Jersey. There is speculation that American Indians brought it up from the south.

Pam, I could probably be talked into going to Longwood sometime in August. I usually reserve a day off then when I think the gardens will be at their peak. From your photos it didn't look like they are going as big for Salvias and such as they have in recent years. You never know all that will be there from year to year other than it will be in huge patches and very well grown. Did you make it down to the south end to the idea gardens? Those gardens are designed with home gardeners in mind. In the fall they put out a display of hundreds of types of pumpkins, squash and gourds in all their exotic "plumage".

Orchids - once back in the 1990s the woman who did the orchid wall was on a 3 day owl, eagles and duck trip I was leading. She was a French Canadian woman and her husband a French Chef. She invited me to come down and go behind the scenes and see how Longwood produced their orchids. I am still kicking myself because I never took her up on the offer. It is great you took the time to talk with the gardeners. They are normally happy to stop and talk for a few minutes. Your photo of the woman in the pond reminded me of a long conversation I had with a woman there while she was up the her in one of those ponds. She was Jewish from Delaware and I remembered a family story about a Jewish man who in the late 19th century left Philadelphia and settled in deepest southern Delaware where my family is from. When he married a local Methodist girl it caused a rift in his family. The woman and I laughed: "he's dead to us now". In any case my family still had him mind 70 years later when I came along. Oh my, where did that come from?

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 15 2012, 8:29 PM 

There were some red greggiis, but not huge. Black and blue most i didnt bother to photograph as they are in my yard. I saw a large patch of David Verity in the last annual garden section. The annuals were so neat and plentiful. Not a spent flower or dried leaf in the bunch. Depressing when thinking of my mess of a garden.

Another good part of the day is we wound up on the main street thru kennet square and there was a farmers market in progress. Heirloom yellow tomatoes, purpke cherry tomatoes, corn, and blueberries to die for to mention a few. brought home lots of veggies and fruit. Made sauteed yellow and green squash with purple and yellw peppers for dinner. MMMMM. Picked my first cherry tomatoe fom my garden. Lots of greenies on the plants.

Oh yeah, at 2pm we had a chance to go on the progagation tour, but I took pity on John as we had just spent 90 minutes in the conservatory and ponds and we were soaked thru. Who am I kidding, i was tired too. I brought a change of clothes with me and couldnt wait for the AC in the car and getting in some dry clothes. They were watering the annual/veggie garden with sprinklers and the kids were having a ball, young and older alike. happy.gif

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Patti S
(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 15 2012, 9:21 PM 

Just lovely. Thank you Pam. Those lilys a fabulous.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 16 2012, 11:42 AM 

Pam - So ... where's the Lotus photos???? I wanna see them! I have a new love for Lotus. I started growing some a few years ago, but they don't always bloom every year for me. [linked image] So I love to see photos of the blooms.

Not to be too impatient ... but can you post some more photos here of the water garden plants, please?! I know you must have lots more pics! [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

~Becky~

Current Topic - The Pond and its Lily's-Longwood Gardens  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.
You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.
Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005