<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Advice for Trapped Hummingbird

July 21 2012 at 4:08 PM
JP  (Login JP_202)
Hummingbirder 2012

A hummingbird has been trapped in my two bay metal building for the better part of the day. It entered through a sliding bay door sometime in the morning. I've left the door open since I discovered it in the building. It appears that the bird is only trying to find an exit at the roof-line and is bumping against it fairly violently. I left the door open and did not enter the building for several hours but it still seems unable to find its way out the bay door.

My current plan to help the bird find the large bay door is encourage it to a low enough level that it will see the opening. I purchased a feeder and suspended it above the rafters by tossing a rope across a higher support beam. I witnessed the bird feeding and left for an hour. When I came back the bird was still above the rafters. I lowered the feeder a couple of feet and waited for the bird to feed again before leaving.

I'm thinking I will just lower this thing a couple feet every hour and hope that when the level is low enough the hummingbird will see the exit and fly out. I just want to know if there is any chance this will work and I am hoping for other suggestions to help this little bird find its way out of this predicament.

Thanks in advance.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Advice for Trapped Hummingbird

July 21 2012, 4:13 PM 

JP
Since the bird does recognize a feeder can you hang it in the doorway or bring it down to where he can see the outside through the door way? It is natural for them to go higher up especially when they get trapped. I always try to have a feeder handy to hang in the doorway of my garage just in case.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

JP
(Login JP_202)
Hummingbirder 2012

Thanks for the quick reply Penny

July 21 2012, 4:22 PM 

I was hoping something like that would work. I've been trying to get the bird to look low enough for the feeder that it will fly low enough to see the open bay door. The roof height is 18' and the opening is quite a bit lower than the bird was flying. I'll try moving the feeder to the door now and cross my fingers. I'll update the status as it changes.

(Login Pennytoo)

July 21 2012, 4:54 PM 

Please let us know how it goes. As a general rule when the spot a feeder they will go to it as they can't go very long without food and if the feeder is in a doorway where they can see the outside this helps to guide them out.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login russlouky)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 21 2012, 5:22 PM 

JP - What you were doing is exactly how I got one to leave a garage last summer except I stood in a chair and held the feeder as high as I could and he fed. Then I lowered it some and repeated until he could see the exit. He left as soon as he saw the daylight. The feeder in the doorway didn't work for me.

Russ Thompson
http://e-hummingbirds.com
http://vimeo.com/hummingbirds
http://hummingbirds.photoshop.com
Louisville, Kentucky

[linked image]

JP
(Login JP_202)
Hummingbirder 2012

Looks Promising

July 21 2012, 5:27 PM 

I moved the feeder down to the bay door opening and watched from outside through a window. The little bird was still trying to escape through the roof. After forty minutes it was still flying in the rafters taking occasional breaks. From my vantage point I couldn't keep a constant visual but I think it finally found the door. It was in the rafters above the door one second and then it was gone. I entered the building and was unable to spot it. I operated the second door(a mechanical) for a brief moment to startle the bird, in case it was resting, but there was no response. I closed all the doors and left the feeder hanging and the lights on just in case she is still in there. I plan to check the building every 10-15 minutes for the next few hours. I haven't had any issue spotting her on any of the previous occasions so I am confident that ten or so inspections without seeing or hearing her will confirm her escape. What are your thoughts on this Penny? You seem to have worked through this issue a few times.

(Login Pennytoo)

July 21 2012, 5:50 PM 

She probably has found her way out but I think leaving a feeder in there just in case is a very good idea. I think you have done the right thing.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login costaricafinca)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 21 2012, 6:37 PM 

We have had many hummers 'trapped' in our home some more than 24 hours. They eventually left, either being 'caught and released' or under their own steam. Hey...these little guys are resilient, and can find their way here, can't they? [linked image]

JP
(no login)

Thanks to all that replied

July 22 2012, 12:18 AM 

After several hours of checking the building I am confident that the little hummingbird left when I lost site of it. I've been unable to spot her on multiple visits and am hopeful that the trauma she encountered will be forgotten. I would like to thank all of you that offered guidance.

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 22 2012, 1:21 AM 

JP - Sounds like you had the right idea and the hummer found it's way out. I bet that happens all the time around the country. They are so curious. You did good!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login Pennytoo)

July 22 2012, 1:20 PM 

Shortly after your saga JP, I had my own. I went outside to turn the water on and noticed a sparrow flying to the window of our garage. My DH had left the garage open when he left to go fishing and I didn't think to shut it until I went out to water the plants. Normally I have a way of opening the window from the outside but this time it was latched so I had to go around and open the garage door. The little guy must have seen the light at the end of the tunnel and before I got back tot he house he had flown out so I quickly shut the door so no others could get in there.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login ronsig)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 23 2012, 1:00 PM 

We try to keep the garage door closed at all times.
Wildlife always tries to get in. Last Spring I found bird seed in shoes I stored there.
Must have been mice that hid it there.

Sigrid

Current Topic - Advice for Trapped Hummingbird  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005