Blogger Tricks
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

This Morning's Meeting 07.27.12

July 27 2012 at 7:27 AM

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

This morning's meeting of the gals at the #3 watering hole. No boys allowed!

fh072712.jpg

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: This Morning's Meeting 07.27.12

July 27 2012, 7:40 AM 

WOW~ I think I need to move!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 27 2012, 8:29 AM 

Penny:

July 27th was my high point last year. This morning I would say in the 30's. Tried taking a video but I didn't focus right and it turned out real grainy. Wish you were a little closer, would love to have you over for coffee some mornings and evenings to see what I see.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

(Login Pennytoo)

July 27 2012, 8:34 AM 

I feel blessed if I see two at the same time or close to it. If I lived closer I would just pitch a tent!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Leah
(Login Harleylove)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 27 2012, 8:37 AM 

I would love to see that! I always seem to have one that takes over my whole yard and chases the others away.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 27 2012, 11:01 AM 

Paula

Wow , so glad to hear that you are having the great numbers. Last season I had those numbers but not yet this season. Enjoy

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 27 2012, 8:57 PM 

Well, when your weather starts cooling down ... and winter is on the horizon, please send all your hummers my way! I'll take real good care of them when they arrive here in Florida!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL

I love hummingbirds
(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 27 2012, 9:21 PM 

Thanks everyone. The number of visitors sure are a pleasure. This kind of week makes it all worth while. They have been loving on my honeysuckles and today I seen a little Mr. all in and out of my Clematis Glaucophylla. What am I going to add to spoil them next year?

Becky, I will give my hummingbirds a talking to and head them down your way when it is their time to depart.

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 27 2012, 9:23 PM 

[linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Send them ALL and tell them to bring their friends, too! [linked image]

~Becky~

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 27 2012, 9:26 PM 

Paula

So are you having those big numbers daily or just occasion? It was almost dark this evening and captured these.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 27 2012, 9:28 PM 

Steve - Too cute! Is it raining there or cold? Wondering why the one bird is all fluffed up...

~Becky~

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 28 2012, 12:15 AM 

Becky

Not cold or cool but cooler. You just have to realize these guys have been high 90s to 100s daily so when the temp dropped into the 80s because of the storms that went thru the state I guess you cant blame the birds for feeling cool having not adjusted yet to the quick cooldown of maybe 15degrees. They will adjust . It was also quite windy this afternoon so that may feel even cooler to them.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Stevenindy on Jul 28, 2012 1:02 AM

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

This Morning's Meeting 07.27.12

July 28 2012, 1:22 AM 

Great photos Paula and Steve. I think we are all envious of the number of hummers you have. If this is the end of July, what will the end of August be like? Enjoy!!

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 28 2012, 8:37 AM 

Steve; Fabulous captures. On the double decker it seems the girl have segregated themselves from the boys.....lol.

I have to get more feeders if I want to double or triple up on my deckers. Right now they are all being used as singles. I keep two batches of feeders. One will be taken down and another set will replace right away when I clean them. I use 3 - 16 oz Nature Feeders and 3 deckers singularly at a time, plus 3 minis. I have been going through about a gallon+ of nectar a day filling the bigger ones 2 times and the minis at least 3 times a day.

With mine, what I have noticed is a slow increase until the other day I counted 30+, seems to be leveling off at that at the moment. We have had a lot of rain the past few days so that may have something to do with it. They love this wet weather, especially after all of the heat and humidity they have had.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

Amazing!

July 28 2012, 10:01 AM 

Paula,

That's amazing how many you get. I can't imagine 30 hummers together here in the East. I have seen such sights out west in Arizona, however.

I am lucky to have 2 or 3 in my garden at the same time! I think my all-time "high" was 4 in the garden at once! Luckily though, for the last month, there's usually one buzzing around whenever I look and I occasionally see 2 chasing eachother.

Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Amazing!

July 28 2012, 11:18 AM 

Ron

I had those numbers last season here in august but I dont have those numbers yet, I still have 10-15 daily.

Paula -- I understand the gallon a day and sometimes more when you have that many as I remember from last season. You will have a great august.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 28 2012, 12:47 PM 

A gallon a day???????!!!!!! A half gallon lasts me two weeks and most of the sugar water is wasted. I actually have enough hummers to drink THAT much sugar water is amazing! Boggles my mind to even imagine so many! 3 or 4 different RTHs on a given day is a BIG deal here! [linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image][linked image]

Edited to add: Y'all really need banders in your state to come to your homes to band the birds y'all are getting! Seriously! There just is NOT enough banders to do a more comprehensive study of these birds! Who do we write to???!!! We need to get a petition going for more banders to be trained and certified and licensed! [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

Oh well ... wished we could get some rich millionaire to take up the cause! [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

~Becky~

This message has been edited by beckygardener on Jul 28, 2012 12:52 PM

(Login Pennytoo)

July 28 2012, 1:14 PM 

Becky I tried a few years ago to get a bander at my place. That was the year I counted 17 birds. Bander nevber even bothered to reply to me and then the following year I lost all my hummers. Unless there are large populations in a wide3spread area I guess it isn't worth their time.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

This message has been edited by Pennytoo on Jul 28, 2012 1:16 PM

I love hummingbirds
(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 28 2012, 1:53 PM 

Thanks again everyone!

I hit 40+ at around 11 am this morning after a rain storm. Lots of rain storms today it seems. One flew in looking like Alfalfa with its top feathers sticking up.

I tried taking a video around 1 pm with some afternoon hummingbird action on it. If/when I can get it up I will post it. Now I am wondering what this evening will be since it is normally high tide.

I am in Wowza can't believe it mode.

Banders are certainly welcome here if they want to come. I don't recall ever seeing a hummingbird with a bracelet above its foot though on any of mine.

Current Topic - This Morning's Meeting 07.27.12  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.

You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.

Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005