<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Original First Nature Feeder?

August 6 2012 at 12:00 PM
  (Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Penny

Im mainly directing this post to you since I know you had the original ones. So Im wondering if this base is the same as or a knockoff of the original feeders. I find that the hummers dont like this one which had the yellow flowers which I have now removed and these round holes remain.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Original First Nature Feeder?

August 6 2012, 12:11 PM 

Steve - I believe I had one of the original feeders. Then bought a couple more the following year which had a slightly different look. The bases were unfortunately not inter-changeable. And I found out the hard way after ruining all of them that they can't be washed in the dishwasher. LOL! So my hummzinger feeders are about the only feeders I use now except for one glass one which is hard to clean and I rarely use.

I, too, took the yellow flowers off mine. Unfortunately, the holes are big enough for wasps to climb into the feeder base. Always an unpleasant surprise when I brought them inside to clean. [linked image] [linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 6 2012, 12:47 PM 

Steve
The one with the yellow removable flowers is the 3rd. addition. Here is a photo of the base of one of the very first First Nature feeders. You will notice that it is just like the one with the oval port holes except that the holes are round. It was perfect. Don't know why they ever changed it. The oval ports are also bigger besides being oval which allowed wasps and yellow jackets easy access. They went from this one to the oval port to the one with the yellow flowers and then finally the triple decker with the smaller shallower base

[linked image]

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2012, 12:55 PM 

Becky

Thanks for your input. Most of the first nature feeders out now have the oval holes and I have several. But to put the flowers on they had to have round holes. Wasps and bees can get in either design. I have one of the hummzingers which is pretty good to help keep bees away because they cant get to the mix but appears the holes are big enough where they could crawl into if they wish.

Since I usually get quite a few hummers budget wise the first nature feeders are the best deal for me as they are also easy to clean.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2012, 12:57 PM 

Penny

Thanks for posting that photo, much appreciated.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login Pennytoo)

August 6 2012, 1:32 PM 

I left one of my feeders with the oval holes in its originaql form and I only use that one in the spring when the Baltimore Orioles first arrive as they can access the nectar easier with that one. The other feeder with the oval ports I made flower with a round hole out of fun foam and stuck them right over the oval port. The have worked out well for the past two years but I will eventually have to make more fun foam flowers to replace the ones on there now. I mostly use that feeder as a back up.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login ronsig)
Hummingbird lover 2011

August 6 2012, 3:59 PM 

Could you post a picture of that feeder with the foam flowers?
It would help me a lot.

Sigrid

(Login Pennytoo)

August 6 2012, 6:10 PM 

Sigrid
Here is a picture of the base. I just cut the flowers out of a sheet of fun foam and used double sided tape to attach them to the feeder base right over the oval holes. I used a hole punch with a 1/8 inch hole rather than a standard 1/4 inch hole punch

[linked image]

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login ronsig)
Hummingbird lover 2011

August 6 2012, 6:48 PM 

Thanks for the picture. That looks really good!

Sigrid

(Login Pennytoo)

August 6 2012, 7:05 PM 

Thank you Sigrid
It was the only thing that I could come up with to modify the feeder to keep the yellow jackets from crawling inside with the large holes

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

August 6 2012, 9:23 PM 

Penny-- Does that create a problem when you wash the feeder?

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

August 6 2012, 9:34 PM 

Penny; What a great idea!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA
Click for weather forecast

(Login Pennytoo)

August 7 2012, 6:35 AM 

Steve,
No it doesn't really create a problem but I am more careful with washing than I would be normally and I do soak the top of the base in vinegar water rather than bleach each time I change out the liquid. The double sided tape is a commercial industrial tape that has extreme holding power so it will probably outlast the fun foam flowers.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

August 7 2012, 3:08 PM 

Ironically I had to switch to the feeder I modified with the foam flowers and my original First Nature feeder today as the yellow jackets are so bad on the newest First Nature with the slits because the heat is causing the nectar level to rise to the top of the ports. Within 10 minutes of hanging the original and the one I modified the yellow jackets quit coming to those feeders and are content to swarm the other two newest versions further out in the yard

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login ronsig)
Hummingbird lover 2011

August 9 2012, 8:23 PM 

I wonder why they switched to the oval openings?
I read somewhere that they switched because some hummers got their beaks stuck in the round hole.
I find that hard to believe, but why would they change the design?

Sigrid

(Login Pennytoo)

August 9 2012, 11:33 PM 

Sigrid they changed their design the same year that the Best 1 feeders did have a hummer trapped. The base of the First Nature was somewhat similar to the Best 1 but I think it was the perch that caused the problem. Best 1 altered their base. That is when First Nature changed the shape of the ports. Then they changed it again to the triple decker with the slits and the squatty bottles....why I just don't know. I think the original was perfect. They should have left well enough alone.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Current Topic - Original First Nature Feeder?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005