<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Got a new plant - Japanese Honeysuckle

July 18 2013, 4:43 PM 

When we are looking for half-hardy bird within our Christmas Bird Count territories we always check the honeysuckle patches. If they are around, most of the orioles, catbirds, thrashers and such will be found there. The think patches are also roosting places for Long-eared and Saw-whet Owls.

If Austin isn't within the range of Japanese Honeysuckle I would agree that it should be destroyed. Austin may actually be too hot and dry for this species.

This message has been edited by WardDas on Jul 18, 2013 4:44 PM

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 18 2013, 8:14 PM 

Ward, your comment made me lol. Thanks. Anyway, since it hasnt bloomed or produced any seeds I dont think it has caused any harm. Maybe I will just let it freeze this winter cause it's too bulky to bring inside with the trellis.

So, what kind of climbing hummingbird vine can anyone suggest? I had a Major Wheeler that did pretty good till it burned up a couple summers ago. What else is there?

Find more about Weather in Austin, TX
Click for weather forecast

Heat Zone- Hot

Ruth
(Login flowerpowereverett)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

July 18 2013, 9:28 PM 

My favorite honeysuckle to date is Alabama Crimson Coral Honeysuckle. It grows a little better than our PNW native Orange Honeysuckle. The trouble is, it's hard to find Coral Honeysuckle anymore...

Ruth
Everett, WA
Zone 8
Find more about Weather in San Francisco, CA

SpaceMan
(Login SpaceMan013)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re:

July 18 2013, 10:02 PM 

I concur with Ruth. I put in an Alabama Crimson this year and I love this plant!, despite I've had to water the crap out of it during this hazy, hot and humid weather we have been having these past few weeks. There are plenty of places to get one online or through your local garden club.

BTW, Sweet Hamelia! I just got mine a week ago, looking forward to seeing it get bigger!

SpaceMan
Zone 7a - SouthCentral PA
-------------------------------------------
I know the voices in my head aren't real...
But they DO have some GOOD IDEAS!

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 18 2013, 10:16 PM 

Mike, I hope I wasn't too hard on you---just wanted you to know what you were getting into.

Other ideas for vines that could take your heat might be Trumpet Creeper (which is invasive too, but it blooms for a lot longer than Japanese Honeysuckle) or Small Red Morning Glory (we could send seeds.) Scarlet Runner Bean or Cypress Vine might be another ideas. Nancy suggests Lonicera Arizonica for the Desert Southwest, but unfortunately it's not for sale anywhere.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 18 2013, 10:25 PM 

Not at all. I know y'all are trying to help. [linked image] I think I will try another Major Wheeler when this vine fizzles out.

Thanks Spaceman! That thing has really done well after it nearly froze last winter. I really like it.

Heat Zone- Hot

This message has been edited by mbleft on Jul 18, 2013 10:31 PM

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 18 2013, 11:56 PM 

Lonicera arizonica seed is available from Southwestern Native Seeds in Tucson. I purchased some seed from them a couple of years ago and have a few small plants in containers that I haven't managed to kill yet.

Donald

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 19 2013, 12:59 AM 

Thanks Donald for this fascinating website. It was fun to peruse it and look up all the plants that were not familiar to me. I'm assuming that most would not survive in the Midwest. Good to know that if Mike wants to try growing the Lonicera Arizonica (which looks just like Lonicera sempervirens but it's more heat resistant I'm assuming) that seed is available.

Mike, you might try Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'. This is easily available online. We have a small one in our yard and hummers love it despite its small size and we are assuming that it would do better in a warmer climate and be quite heat resistant and a wonderful hummingbird vine.

Next time you might want to try your honeysuckle in a lightly shaded location instead of full sun and planting it in the very early spring to give it time to get established before the really hot weather. Here is some info I found online from SF Gate regarding honeysuckle:

"Light Requirements

Most species of honeysuckle have light requirements ranging from full sun to part shade. This implies honeysuckle will grow well in any area of the garden except full shade, but doesn't tell the full story. Honeysuckle grow best in areas where their roots stay shaded and cool and their foliage receives some sunlight. This sunlight can be dappled light through trees or a couple hours of morning or evening sun with shade the rest of the day. Few species of honeysuckle can tolerate blaring sun all day long without suffering leaf burn or overheated roots.

Shady Choices

Of the many species of honeysuckle that will do well in partial shade, some are known to thrive in low light conditions. Orange honeysuckle (L. ciliosa) is native to North American forests where it grows as a partially shaded understory plant. Chaparral honeysuckle (L. interrupta) and California honeysuckle (L. hispidula) are two California natives that can grow in partial shade. Other North American honeysuckles that can fill your partially shaded garden include trumpet honeysuckle (L. sempervirens), twin berry (L. involucrata) and yellow honeysuckle (L. flava)."

We actually planted a Twin Berry or Lonicera involucrata in our yard last year and it's going great guns (still no flowers yet.) It will be interesting to see if hummers will use it.

Hope you can get this going for next season, as it's a "must have" plant for a hummingbird gardener.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 19 2013, 6:18 AM 

Any of the Coral Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens cultivars ought to do well in central Texas, if supplemental water can be supplied. A friend in Driftwood, Texas, grew a solid wall of it around his swimming pool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 10:45 AM 

On second thought. I think I'll try that Alabama Crimson. Says it does best in full sun and thats what it will get. Appreciate all the advice.[linked image]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Alabama-Crimson-Honeysuckle-Vine-12-16-/400469575738?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3dd8c83a

Heat Zone- Hot

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 10:57 AM 

GAAAAH! they dont ship to Texas [linked image]

Heat Zone- Hot

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 10:58 AM 

I thought 'major wheeler' was the one to get if you want a red honeysuckle.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

July 19 2013, 11:07 AM 

Dan, there are quite a few good Lonicera sempervirons cultivars. Major Wheeler is one of the newest of them and as you know the subject of a lot of talk here at the forum. Alabama Crimson is another really good one.

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 11:26 AM 

WooT! They made an exception for little old me.. Got two Alabama Crimson on the way. I figure I'll get em started over the rest of the summer and fall then put em out with the trellis in the Spring.

Now, anybody want any Japanese Honeysuckle?[linked image]

Heat Zone- Hot

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 11:33 AM 

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 19 2013, 6:18 PM 

Mike,

Great choice!! I know you'll be very pleased with the 'Alabaama Crimson' and that it can take the heat in your area.

I'm not sure what you should do with the Japanese Honeysuckle. Sorry.

Is the most recent photo you posted from your yard or from somewhere else?

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

mike
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 7:02 PM 

I'm giving the Japanese HS to Dad! Just kidding. The pic is from the ebay link I posted.

Heat Zone- Hot

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 20 2013, 1:16 AM 

Go it Mike. Thanks.

Cute idea of giving it to Dad.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Becky
(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 20 2013, 9:10 AM 

Mike - Good choice with the Lonicera sempervirons vine. I almost purchased a "Major Wheeler" this year, but some websites said it was only heat tolerant to zone 8. So instead, I decided to just move my regular Lonicera sempervirons vines around. (Not sure of what cultivar they are. I assume they are the native species.) Mine seems to be very drought tolerant. It does not like a lot of water, but does like sun. They do sprawl and get big. I have mine growing on each side of a large arbor/small pergola in my backyard. They were pruned to the extreme when I moved them a few months ago and are doing great! I am hoping they start producing more blooms this Fall.

[linked image]

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL

MIKE
(Login mbleft)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 1 2016, 1:34 PM 

UPDATE - lol
Well after 3 years of not blooming and refusing to die in the summer heat, I yanked the JH and replaced it with a Coral Honeysuckle. I had bought some of those Alabama Crimson vines but gave em to mom awhile back. She said they are doing great in Missouri.

The Japanese Honeysuckle is dead![linked image]
Click for Forecast for 78756 from weatherUSA

Heat Zone- Hot

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics