<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

sick? tongue problem? advice please

September 12 2012 at 1:00 PM
  (Login REV.FEEDBACK)
Hummingbird lover 2011

A hummingbird at my feeder just now had something long and thin hanging down the side of its beak, coming out of its beak. It looked like a thread but I was afraid it could be its tongue. Otherwise, it appeared healthy, full of energy and was chasing off other birds from the feeder. Any ideas? Can this happen to a hummingbird's tongue? It was feeding normally, and I can't imagine it could feed without its tongue working properly. Am I wrong?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: sick? tongue problem? advice please

September 12 2012, 1:58 PM 

It may have been a thread or a bit of plant material. It is hard to say without seeing a picture of it but if it was nectaring normally, it may be able to take care of whatever it is by itself.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login russlouky)
Hummingbird Member 2005

September 12 2012, 7:40 PM 

This hummingbird had a bill and a tongue problem but could eat from a tube feeder.
You have to watch the video to see that particular hummingbird - but if you haven't seen the video before you can see how hummingbirds use their tongue to drink.

Russ Thompson
http://e-hummingbirds.com
http://vimeo.com/hummingbirds
http://hummingbirds.photoshop.com
Louisville, Kentucky

[linked image]

(Login REV.FEEDBACK)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 18 2012, 12:02 PM 

thank you Russ and Penny. Yes, Russ, it's quite similar to the bird in the video, with a deformed bill too. But it feeds off the tube feeder no problem and in fact chases off all competitors.

(Login poorbs)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 19 2012, 12:55 AM 

Interesting video, seeing how much these guys drink while feeding. I have only dish type feeders, and it's impossible to determine just how much each bird is getting. Seeing how much this guy in the video drank, it's small wonder some of them turn out to be real porkers.

Bill

Northeast Texas
Plant Hardiness Zone 8a

(Login seafire1)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 19 2012, 8:41 PM 

Rev,

Somewhere I remember a pic of a hummer with a tongue where the tip was dried out and was told it would fall off and be ok.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a
[linked image]

Image hosting by TinyPic

Current Topic - sick? tongue problem? advice please  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.
You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.
Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005