<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Crossvine the same as trumpet vine?

September 27 2012 at 6:16 AM

(Login howlinggood)
Hummingbirder 2012

While looking at a website that has the most awesome variety of hummingbird friendly flowers I have come across (sehttp://www.almostedenplants.com) I keep finding this vine called crossvine, which looks exactly like trumpet vine in flower but the leaves look slightly different. Is it the same plant?

Wondering if this may have been a better choice for my new arbor out front instead of the major wheeler I planted, looks sturdier but I see it is only supposed to bloom in spring. Hmmm, I'm getting overwhelmed here, so much to think about!

Donna
Long Island, NY
Zone 7(a)?

This message has been edited by howlinggood on Sep 27, 2012 6:19 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Crossvine the same as trumpet vine?

September 27 2012, 7:45 AM 

Donna
Crossvine (Bignonia capriolata) is a Spring blooming relative of Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radican). It has a shorter blooming period than the Trumpet Vine. The species with the yellow flowers and burgundy center tends to send out runners like the trumpet creeper but the hybrid, Tangerine Beauty with orangey red flowers as far as I know is not aggresive and does not send out runnders. The Honeysuckle will have more of an all season bloom period and will not send out runners. I have two of the species plants, one which I grew from seed. I will be removing both of them this fall because the older plant is beginning to send out runners and has only bloomed once since it was planted three years ago. The one grown from seed bloomed the first time this year for about a weeki I am going to replace the seed grown plant which has already covered an arbor with my Major Wheeler which I boought earlier this year as soon as my hummers are gone.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login howlinggood)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 27 2012, 7:58 AM 

Thanks Penny, I guess the major wheeler was the better choice then.

Donna
Long Island, NY
Zone 7(a)?

(Login Pennytoo)

September 27 2012, 8:08 AM 

Donna
In my opinion yes it would be a better choice. I would still like to get the Tangerine Beauty Crossvine since that one isn't aggressive but will wait until I have just the right spot for it...just in case.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login howlinggood)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 27 2012, 8:14 AM 

I can't have any more invasive species here. I have trumpet vine, ivy everywhere, zoysia grass which creeps into every garden bed I have and wisteria coming up all over. I can't handle all of them as it is.

Donna
Long Island, NY
Zone 7(a)?

(Login Pennytoo)

September 27 2012, 8:22 AM 

Definitely stick with the honeysuckles Donna.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

September 27 2012, 8:06 PM 

Donna - Bless you, girl! That is a lot of hard to rid your yard of invasives that you are dealing with. I agree with Penny, go with the Coral Honeysuckle such as Major Wheeler. I love mine! They are well-behaved except they do get nice and big over time where you may have to prune them back some. But they are one of the most favorite hummer plants in my yard next to the Firespike bushes.

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

Current Topic - Crossvine the same as trumpet vine?  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005