<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Seed starting 2013

February 2 2013 at 6:04 AM
  (Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

We've been doing a seed starting log for the past few years. I find it valuable as a reminder of the progress make during the propagation season. It helps to avoid mistakes like planting zinnias and coccinea too early and to properly time grow-outs. Too often we've seen new excited gardeners start plants too early and find themselves wondering what to do with their overgrown seedlings in March.

Generally the easiest way to handle a seed starting log here is to use the edit button and update one page as the season progresses. Later, lets say next winter, it is much easier to reference all the information from one place, one page. The important dates I use are: date of sowing, germination, first true leaves, date of transplant, finisted date.

It also is worth mentioning on the page what the seed starting conditions are. Are plants being grown under lights, is there bottom heat and so forth.

Not as many of us are participating in these logs, cuttings and seed start, as there were a few years ago. Oh well, even if few others don't see the value of it I do.

This message has been edited by WardDa on Feb 2, 2013 6:05 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Re: Seed starting 2013

February 2 2013, 6:29 AM 

This year I am trying something a little different. For the past 30 years I have sow all my seeds under lights with bottom heat in the basement - a rather cool place. This winter I brought up a set of shoplights and hung them from kitchen cabinets over a spare counter. A friend sent me a few seeds of rare types of guaranitica and I want them to have ideal conditions to sprout since there is no room for error. Sitting on the counter are two standard cell pack trays and on one side a heat mat is sandwiched between two trays. It is very warm and cozy.

Generally I only start a few plant types this early. Usually the types are Agastache, Salvia microphylla and similar plants that take a long time to reach planting stage. This year it is mostly the guaranitica. These plants need to be out of the way, down under lights in the basement, when the main seed starting time begins in March. Filling every indoor growing space and having the plants tumble out the door at exactly planting time is always a challenge.

Salvia guaranitica Santa Maria - sown Jan 27, failed
Salvia guaranitica Catamarca - sown Jan 27, failed
Salvia rhindsina - sown Jan 27, failed
Salvia azura (10 year old seed) - sown Jan 27,failed

I am not sure whether there was any viable seed in the above mix.

Pepper Jalapeno - year old seed sown 3/2, germination 3/9 - seperated into cells 3/29 - 16 plants
Pepper Aji Cristal - sown 3/16
Pepper Ancho - sown 3/16
Tomato Dester - sown 3/16, seperated into cells 3/29
Tomato OTV - sown 3/16, seperated into cells 3/29
Tomato Federle - sown 3/16, seperated into cells 3/29
Tomato Italian Heirloom - sown 3/16, seperated into cell 3/29
Agastache foeniculum - sown 3/16, just setting first true leaves 3/29, 108 into cells 4/7
Salvia subrotunda Alba - sown 3/29, germination 4/7
Salvia Yvonne's - sown 3/29, germination 4/5
Gailardia - sown 3/39, germination 4/4
Calendula - sown 3/29, germination 4/5

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

February 2 2013, 10:21 AM 

Well I haven't even thought about starting seeds yet which is ok since most of what I have will be easy to start salvias. It is hard to think about seed starting just yet as I look out the window at the 6+ inches of fresh snow and it is still coming down YUK!

For those newbies that aren't quite sure how to keep a running tab, this is how I do mine:

Jan. 1:
Salvia coccinea Lady in red - germinated 4 days
(then I come back to my same post and edit it to add to this same post every time I sow more seeds)

January 15:
Salvia coccinea Coral Nymph- under lights -germinated 7 days
Cuphea schumannii - in south window -germinated 2 weeks
salvia Black and Blue - in filtered light germinated 2 weeks

Feb. 15
Agastache rupestris - in south window
Lobelia cardinalis - in filtered light
Lobelia syphylitica - in filtered light
Silene virginia - in filtered light

This is just an example. By going back into your own original post it keeps the number of posts down in the original thread and easier for individuals to see their own seed progress without having to scan several posts.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 2 2013, 10:30 AM 

As a rule I dont start any seed before March 1 but there is an exception this year. I have standing cypress from last season the orange variety but I wanted the red so a generous member supplied me with seed in hopes of these being red.

Ipomopsis Rubra--- Started Jan 23rd-- seed sprouted quickly within a couple of days
details------------under shoplights no bottom heat, 2" from light

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 2 2013, 4:17 PM 

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Ward! I was just thinking about seed starting. I certainly appreciated yours (and everyone's) advice last year when I started and learned a lot!!! I had hoped to do some cuttings this past fall, but all of them had perished (essentially I started them too late). I don't have an ambitious array of seeds planned for this year like last, but I will be doing some salvias (and much later zinnias!), and will try again with hibiscus.

One of the techniques that worked really well for me was the baggy method! I have to go back and review my personal logs and saved links now. Another thing that worked really well for me was the use of the Jiffy pellets. I marked the outside of them with sharpies and kept them growing in a nice plant tray. Those were cool because I had bought a bunch of the "window" seed starting kits. You could fill up each tray with a particular kind of seed and move them or adjust the humidity when they achieved their true leaves.

It was great to have plants in my garden and patio that I started from seed! What a feeling of accomplishment it gives you! Especially to see the plant grow big and healthy and have hummers feeding from it!

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

February 4 2013, 6:58 AM 

I started some salvia. Coral nympth, upright peru, chiffon, jeweled pink and lavender.
I tried cuphea but have had no luck so far. Seeds from two different sources. Nothing as germinated.....Have no idea what I am doing wrong.

(Login Pennytoo)

February 4 2013, 10:06 AM 

Kerry,
Sometimes Cupheas can take a while. For me germination can be inconsistant so don't give up just yet.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 4 2013, 11:03 PM 

Kerry - do your seeds have a heat source whether it be from a seed starting mat, a light source or the top of your fridge (though I caution you to remove from the top of the fridge as soon as the seeds sprout!)?

Last year after much trial and error, I had great success with the "baggie method". While I haven't started my seeds for this year yet, that is what I plan to do this time. It was just so fast and easy...http://www.bbbseed.com/_blog/The_Dirt/post/Super_Easy_Seed_Strting_The_Baggie_Method/

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 5 2013, 9:46 AM 

Unless you are in the deep deep south I would hold off planting Salvia coccinea Coral Nymph for another couple of months. They grow very fast.

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 5 2013, 10:40 AM 

This year I'm not sowing any seeds until April 1st. Last year the coccineas and subrotunda grew so fast under my shoplight they were ready for planting too early. The subrotundas, especially, became rootbound in the yogurt cups and began deteriorating.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA
Click for weather forecast

(Login greenmangardens)
Hummingbirder 2012

February 5 2013, 12:55 PM 

I saved seeds of S. coccinea 'Forest Fire' last year to replant. I'd rather have 'Lady in Red' honestly, lol, but couldn't find that one last year. How long do you think I should allow for growing out? I don't usually plant things out till early May, usually after Mother's Day weekend. Should I give them two months? Just wondering on the timing of these. I don't usually do seeds, so this is kind of experimental for me to see if it will work.

on the baggie method of seed sprouting, do you plant them with just the root radical showing or wait till they throw out the first cotyleton 'leaves'? Never done that before either, lol.

Brett Johnson
near Seattle
Washington 98040
USDA zone 8b

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 5 2013, 1:11 PM 

I think 45 days before planting would be plenty of time. Once they are transplanted to cells they can be hardened off in late April outside in an area protected from the wind. I transplant into cells after the plants have a couple of sets of true leaves. Haven't tried the baggie method myself. All I do is surface sow the seed in an old 4 inch pot and put the pot under close light with bottom heat. You probably won't need bottom heat for this salvia species as long as the house is kept in the 60s, it is one of the least tricky of the salvias to grow from seed.

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 5 2013, 1:38 PM 

This may be of interest to some and I have been using this for years for my seedlings. Its called
"Byrons famous tea recipe". I will leave a link and you can read the entire thing. I have never lost a seedling due to dampoff which will usually happen very early in a seedlings life. When seedlings have sprouted I make enough for a quart mister and just keep them moist in this manner. Later on when you move the seedlings into pots etc. you can make larger batches of this and water from underneath.

It is quite simple. I use chamomile tea bags. Boil some water , pour over a tea bag heaped in a coffee cup only 4minutes, then dump it and pour hot water over the same tea bag for 4 more minutes. add this cup to your quart mister with regular tap water. Now youre ready.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/pepper/2002074906031735.html

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

kerry
(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

February 7 2013, 7:46 AM 

Hi! everyone.
They are under a light in the basement at the moment. It is warm down there, as we have a wood burning furnace. It stays around 72F most of the day and will go down to 66F at night.
They have to stay down their until it warms up a bit. I have two 5 foot garden windows which they will go into soon. I only started a few seeds of each, just to see if they would grow.
The cuphea, one batch I didn't do the baggy method the other I did a warm water method, which some one told me about. You keep spraying them with warm water. Don't think it is going to work. I heard it can take up to 30 days to germinate. The first batch which looked like some of the seeds where not whole, I started on Jan 7. The second on Jan 20. Both these where bough of ebay. Never done it before. I have another batch I am going to try the baggy method happy.gif

Have to ask.....The count down clock is that for the start of the migration map?

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

February 7 2013, 8:50 AM 

I wouldn't let the Cuphea seed get you down too much. We've had some discussions here that indicated Cuphea seed needed to be fairly fresh if it was to germinate. A 70 degree basement should germinate most anything.

Patti S
(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 10 2013, 11:09 PM 

I will not be doing as much seed starting as usual. My family just does not care for the plants everywhere. However, later in March when I do start some seed, I will be using a new product this year as my seed starting medium. I will be using a product made from diatomaceous earth, UltraSorb which can be bought at AutoZone. It has been used with great success on another forum that I visit. It retains moisture, yet there is no damping off reported with it. The roots have plenty of air and grow rootballs twice the size as when using seed starting mixes. This method has really got my attention as I always have some damping off even using the tea.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 11 2013, 11:41 AM 

I have done the baggy method and it works for difficult to germinate seeds such as sal. guaranitica b and b. But I havent done it for years now as I just surface sow all seed. But seed is not the way to go on sal. guaranitica in my opinion.

The first week of march continues to be a good seed starting time for me and/if when plants get big enough and the weather is decent they just may go out on the porch which is covered as early as mid april if not sooner.

As I mentioned before I have started some seed early for Ipomopsis Rubra which I feel need that head start and they are doing ok so far. Also some experimental rhizomes/stolons from sal. blue ensign are doing nicely now and some have been potted up. When you see the rhizomes sending out roots besides the sprouting you just know you have a good start. It did take a while longer for these to sprout than I remembered before but I wanted to get some of these going in case my uncovered inground plants dont make it. Also I want to see If I have better luck with these starts than the ones that I failed on last season.

Also of note on standing cypress from last season I notice that they seem to have a constant state of green leaves peaking out even though I have some mulch around those inground plants. That is an interesting observation considering all of the below freezing nights we have had. Although I think the lowest temp we have had so far is around 10°.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login K8_Zone6)
Hummingbird lover 2009

February 17 2013, 8:27 PM 

I started the seeds below using Fafard Seed Starter Potting Mix (my favorite), bottom heat and under lights - some on February 14 and the remainder on February 16.

February 14
Salvia westerae - failed to germinate
Salvia pennellii - 1 frail seedling
Salvia greggii 'Tangerine Ballet'- sprouted 2/19 - several healthy plants
Salvia x jamensis 'Moonlight Serenade' - sprouted 2/19
Salvia x Cabrillo - sprouted 2/19 - several healthy plants
Salvia guaranitica 'Santa Maria' 1 frail seedling
Salvia species from Catamarca - sprouted 2/19
Salvia stachydifolia - failed to germinate
Salvia curviflora - failed to germinate
Salvia microphylla 'Free Speech' - failed to germinate
Salvia SL411 - sprouted 2/21
Salvia roemeriana - failed to germinate
Salvia involucrata 'Boutin' - sprouted 2/19
Salvia rhinosinia - sprouted 2/19 - several healthy plants
Gladiolus carneus - failed to germinate
Lepechinia bella - failed to germinate

February 16
Salvia greggii 'Wild Thing' - sprouted 2/22
Salvia microphylla 'Trenance' - failed to germinate
Salvia hybrid 'Palmyra' - sprouted 2/23
Salvia unknown - sprouted 2/22
Salvia subrotunda alba - forgot to record the date - several sturdy plants
Salvia microphylla 'Royal Bumble'- sprouted 2/21
Salvia darcyii - sprouted 2/22
Salvia 'Scarlet Spires' - sprouted 2/22
Salvia atrocyanea - sprouted 2/22
Salvia pauciserrata subsp calocalicina - failed to germinate
Salvia praeclara - failed to germinate
Salvia coccinea 'Tall' - sprouted 2/23
Salvia penstemoides - failed to germinate
salvia gesnerifolia - failed to germinate
Salvia 'Stephanie' - sprouted 2/22
Ruttya fruiticosa - forgot to record the date - several sprouted
Silene regia - failed to germinate

February 27
Monardella macrantha - sprouted 3/13
White cuphea - sprouted 3/13
Tropaoleum Ken Aslet? - failed to germinate

March 23
Thai Red Roselle Hibiscus - sprouted 3/27
Salvia 'St. John's Fire' - sprouted 3/29
Leonotis menthifolia (from Ward) - sprouted 3/30
Salvia Stan's Pink Dreamsicle (from Ward) - sprouted 4/1
Salvia Stan's Pink Dreamsicle (from Pam)
Tall pink coccinea (saved seed) - sprouted 3/28
Tropical milkweed (from Ward's butterfly friend - sprouted 4/2
Whorled milkweed
Stemmadenia littoralis
Canna (from Ron in Delaware)
Canna Cinnabarina

March 30
Tomato 'Sun Sugar'
Tomato 'Black Cherry'
Tomato 'Manyel'
Tomato 'Golden Girl'
Tomato 'Orange German Strawberry'
Tomato 'Hungarian Heart'
Tomato 'New Zealand' (from saved seed)
Sweet pepper (from saved seed)

I only did a few seeds of most types, but if they do well, I may have some to share with our NJ forum friends on Palmyra planting day. Some seeds are older, so may not do so well.

I will probably start a few more next weekend, but since I only have two heat mats, will wait to see if any that I planted this week have sprouted.

Only a little more than two months until the hummingbirds arrive here!

Kate

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

February 19 2013, 6:49 PM 

Okay! Started some of my seeds today! Let the fun begin...

February 19th - By baggie / coffee filter method*:

These I started early to give me plenty of time for trial and error. I have more seeds planned yet, but it's a just a little too soon. I learned my lesson last year with the other not necessarily hummer plants (cough cough... Zinnias).

~ Salvia Coccinea Coral Nymph ... Germinated in 4 Days
~ Salvia Coccinea Lady In Red ... Germinated in 4 Days

Feb 23rd - Both baggies have germinated with about 95 percent yield! Yay! Now I will be transferring the seedlings to Jiffy peat pellets and start the real growing process.

March 7th - By baggie / coffee filter method*:
~ Hardy Hibiscus ...Germinated in 6 Days.
Boy are these a bugger to germinate! I had no activity in the filter until I made it soaking wet and then ALL of the seeds germinated! To think how many seeds I previously tossed last year because I thought they were unviable! ARGH!

April 2nd - By baggie / coffee filter method*:
~ Lupin ...Germinated in 1-2 Days!
~ State Fair Zinnia ...Germinated in 2 Days
~ Pinwheel Zinnia ...Germinated in 3 Days
Yes, Yes, I knowwwww, but I'm planning a gift container in time for Mother's Day.

* Baggie Method Uhttp://www.robsplants.com/seed/baggy.php

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 23 2013, 8:41 PM 

I havent done my main seed starts as yet but as mentioned before I did start some early seed of Ipomopsis rubra about the first of feb, thanks to Kathi. And today it was quite a bit of fun separating all the little seedlings roots that had grown together. I grouped them in pots of from 3-5 per and they still should be ok. I ended up with about 20 4" pots for this now I will see how many survive for me. My ultimate plan is make one large block of these guys so they might hold each other up in the weather.

My thoughts are to put them in the location where my salvia darcyi is now should it not return as I expect which is what always has happened so far with it.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

I love hummingbirds
(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

February 24 2013, 9:05 PM 

I am planting some seed I received from someone last fall. Petunia exserta, Cuphea triple crown,
Asarina erubescens, Cuphea ignea white, Eccremocarpus scaber cherry red, Trachelium caeruleum
Hammer Pandora. He also sent me a cutting of cuphea david verity, and it's growing nicely for me.
I also have seeds for Lion's Tail, I hope the hummers like it.

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 1 2013, 3:10 PM 

Just giving this thread a bump as we have new forum members starting their own seeds this year! [linked image]

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 2 2013, 8:44 AM 

I am not starting any of the "annual" salvia types yet like subrotunda White. They outgrow their space too fast.

Kate, I will be interested to see how your Salvia from Catamarca does. Mine didn't sprout. The first hot pepper seeds were planted today. Peppers seem to need a lot more time than tomatoes.

I've been undecided on whether to plant the ex guaranitica Cosquin seeds I collected last year. The plant produced tons of seed but I am not sure what I would do with all the seedlings. The parent plant would be excellent for someone who wanted to grow guaranitica from seed since almost every flower produces a seed or four.

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 4 2013, 9:49 AM 

Seeds planted March 3, 2013:

Salvia oppositiflora - germination on March 9
Salvia stolonifera - germination on March 9
Salvia splendens 'Peach' - germination on March 9
Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' - germination on March 8
Penstemon eatonii
Eccremocarpus scaber
Red marigold - germination on March 7
Yellow marigold - germination on March 7

Nicked and soaking in water:
Canna musafolia - on March 10 one seed sprouted and was planted in soil, on March 17 3 sprouted and were planted in soil
Canna tuerckheimii - on March 9 two seeds sprouted and were planted in soil, on March 14 4 sprouted and were planted on soil
Canna 'Flame' - on March 7 one seed sprouted a root and it was planted in soil, on March 17 2 sprouted and were planted in soil
Canna 'Old Red' - on March 9 one seed sprouted and was planted in soil, on March 14 2 sprouted and were planted in soil

Seeds planted on March 10:
Salvia 'Lady in Red' - germination began on March 14
Salvia 'Coral Nymph' - germination began on March 25
Salvia exserta - germination began on March 17
Zinnia 'Benary's Giant' - germination began on March 13
Asclepias currasavica
Tithonia - germination began on March 15

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 5 2013, 7:08 PM 

Here's a little photo update on my seedlings as I was trying to help Jerry earlier today. I'm actually pretty amazed at their progress in only 7 days. Sheesh! I guess all of my mistakes last year are paying off...

First week...
photo SalviasWeek1_022613.jpg

Second week...
photo SalviasWeek2_030513.jpg

I don't have a shoplight as of yet. I'm using an adjustable full spectrum light, so my seedlings are stretching a bit. I am trying to keep the light as close to seedlings as possible (reccommended 4-5" above the plants).

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 5 2013, 9:35 PM 

I only started the petunia exserta, cuphea triple crown and Asarina erubescens on 2/25. I have them under lights only in
my kitchen. The petunia exserta has sprouted, nothing on the Asarina erubescens, one little sprout today on the cuphea
triple crown, hoping more will follow. I need to start the others this friday. I have so many pepper seedlings that I'm
taking care of right now. More than 50.

Find more about Weather in Virginia Beach, VA

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 5 2013, 10:47 PM 

this thread is so depressing to me ... but i finally looked at it ...

i don't have a basement any longer to start seedlings and don't have plants to take plantings of

i have seed but really don't think starting them in the garage is going to
work since it hovers around 30 degrees

i may just have to wait and when i go to bench farms before mother's day .. and get cuttings i've asked Cindy to do for me

Vicki

middlefield OH

really wanting to go back to NJ and dig up lots of plants out of my yard that is STILL On the market but can't afford too

====

glad everyone is doing well with their seed starting this year

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 6 2013, 6:43 AM 

Vicki,
Do you have a south facing window you can start your seeds in. You can put a small table in front of it. My mother in law as been doing it for years with no problem happy.gif

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 6 2013, 8:51 AM 

Vicki, You don't need to feel too bad. I'm still planning on giving you some plants.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 6 2013, 9:58 AM 

Awww Vicki. sad.gif For what it's worth, I do my seeds on a drafting table in an upstair bedroom. Our basement is too cold, damp and leaky to do any serious plant work.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 6 2013, 10:57 AM 

See that Vicki, you have moved out to Ohio where people are actually generous and friendly - unlike New Jersey.

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 7 2013, 11:12 PM 

thanks ward .. but yes you, Pam, Pat, Mary, and Steve were nice people in NJ.. it was just something about the township i landed in that wasn't right.... i didn't meet the rest of you until quite a few years after i landed there in 2001 and by then the damage was done happy.gif

thanks folks for the suggestions ..

unfortunately i don't have an upstairs .. (wish the garage were warmer but it is NE Ohio and the snowbelt )

i have two small windows facing south but the last time i tried that the plants got all spindly (this was BMW Before Meeting Ward) and one of the windows is about 4 ft up .. although i will try putting seeds into the containers .. and put them where i can find room ... near a window .. nothing to lose all to gain... the basement in NJ was perfect for plant and cutting propogation .. now the house i am in is no where as big .. ie same size upstairs but NO basement and NO back room ... but does have a wonderful walk in closet

i do have 3 florescent shop lights that i may try to put up over them as well ...

i definitely need to find some trees for this yard (preferrably evergreen) and coral honeysuckle ... bench farms will take care of the salvia and agastathe

vicki
sleepless in middlefield OH

Linda
(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 10 2013, 11:10 AM 

Kerry, if still no luck with your cuphea seed. You can have the rest of my Triple Crown Cuphea
seed. It has germinated for me. I received them last fall from a gardenweb member. I beleive
he picked them fresh at that time.

Kerry
(no login)

March 10 2013, 11:54 AM 

That would be great Linda. I tried the last batch of seven seeds cuphea inga rose. By the baggy method no luck sad.gif
My email is kerryks@verizon.net I will pay for them happy.gif

Linda
(Login roper2008)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 10 2013, 8:38 PM 

I sent you an e-mail kerry.

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 12 2013, 11:00 AM 

Im most likely about a week later than usual starting my usual batch of seeds on 3-8. But thats ok too at least the ones that survive wont get all out of sorts before I can put them outside to harden off.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 15 2013, 2:52 PM 

Im having trouble with sal. greggii cherry chief seed, none have germinated. I have two separate containers with no results I even started another small container today 3-15 to see if I can get any to germinate.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Kerry
(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 15 2013, 6:33 PM 

Non of my salvia lavinder lady germinated sad.gif

(Login K8_Zone6)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 15 2013, 10:04 PM 

Finally had success with the Salvia guaranitica 'Santa Maria' seeds I planted last month - second try this year. I had just one seedling sprout - it is rather leggy and has just one set of true leaves, but at least it is alive and growing. Ward, if I can get it to grow okay, I will try to get a cutting for you when it's big enough. I know you will work your magic with it and turn it into a giant blooming beauty like you did with the oxyphora!

I was also able to get one of the Catamarca seeds to sprout, plus it turns out that one I started last year survived. I went back to Robin's website to read about it, and it is one that has tubers, so there might have been a small tuber in the pot that sprouted. It is still very small, about 5 or 6 inches tall, but it put up a second stem, so it must be doing okay. For anyone who is wondering about this salvia, you can read about it on Robin's website athttp://www.robinssalvias.com/htms/catamarca.htm. If it blooms for me and it turns out anything like the photo, it will be spectacular. One can hope, though with seeds, you never know....

Regards,
Kate

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 15 2013, 10:12 PM 

Steve & Kerry: That's Sooooo Frustrating when your seeds don't germinate! Last year I had Black N Blue, and Cherry Chief seeds which for the most part did nothing for me! I had luck with one solitary Chief though, and now I'm hoping that plant comes back this year (worry worry).

Kate: I hope you have luck with your Catamarca!

Here's a stupid question for you all: If I want my seedlings to grow up big and full, when do I trim them? At present, most of my salvias are going on their 3rd set of leaves.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 16 2013, 12:04 AM 

Caro-- I also have never had any luck with black and blue seed.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Kerry
(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 16 2013, 6:35 AM 

I over wintered a b and b in the basement. It didn't survive. Then I notice one lone seedling in this big pot. I let it grow a little and low and behold its a b and b.
Dug it up and put it in its own little pot. Its about one inch and seems to be doing fine under the grow light. Keeping my fingers crossed happy.gif

(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 16 2013, 6:45 AM 

Kate, I have given up on the salvia seeds I planted in January - nothing. One thing I am certain of, like always, you will show up with a treasure trove of rarities. Did you manage to save your Stephanie? The one you gave me is in a pot on the porch and could produce cuttings for anyone who wants them.

Later today, since the weather doesn't look too great for outside work, the rest of the pepper types will get sown and as will all the tomato types. I will hold back another week or two to plant the white flowered Salvia subrotunda and the other "annual" salvias. I just ordered fresh zinnia seeds yesterday. No rush on those since they do much better when direct planted in the ground in a nursery area.

Caro, after you get another set or two of true leaves you can cut your plants back to stems with just a couple of sets of true leaves - new shoots will form. If you let the shoots grow tall enough you should be able to use what you've cut to make more cuttings. I wouldn't worry too much if your plants don't look as perfect as you like, it won't matter after they have been in the ground for a while. You might also consider making the drive to the park on planting day. While it is a working day we always take time to swap plants.

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

bench farms

March 18 2013, 8:53 PM 

Gary

I am going to try to get over to Bench Farms one Saturday in April.

Let me know what works for you or if you prefer to wait til May.

I have a trip to Chicago the first week of April and may take that Friday off since both my daughters are having surgeries that week and my daughter her in OH is having her tonsils out at 28 yrs old.

Vicki

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 19 2013, 8:27 AM 

Vicki,

A Saturday in April is fine with me. As time gets closer, let me know what Saturday you plan on coming.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 19 2013, 1:07 PM 

I am shocked Penny. I figured you'd have started your plants in your state room on the ship, probably in your husband's bunk. It would have made him feel right at home.

Vicki, you are making connections.

(Login Pennytoo)

March 19 2013, 1:39 PM 

Ward
If I had been able to collect some seeds while we were on Roatan I would have probably considered it but now I have to content myself with the same old same old.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Kleiser, D.
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Ipomoea Hummingbird Mix

March 19 2013, 9:33 PM 

I started these Ipomopsis Hummingbird Mix from Burpee in late February. Good germination, slow growth. Planted a few more yesterday.
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Other seed srtarted-
February 25: Salvia gregii- Furman's Red. cold stratified failed, non stratified germinated (some damping off)
March 17: Hibiscus moscheutos - Pink Swirl (germinated March 22)
March 20: Tritoma - Red Hot Poker (germinated April 4)
March 22: Salvia coccinea - Summer Jewel Red (germinated March 27)
March 26: Columbine - Harlequin Mix (germinated April 12)
March 26: Asclepias tuberosa (germinated April 1)
March 26: Agastache rupestris (germinated April 1)
March 30: Penstemon x Esprit (germinated April 11)
April 14: Nasturtium x Empress of India
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
Ipomopsis as of March 31

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 19 2013, 10:17 PM 

I may have started my "Ipomopsis Rubra" a couple of weeks earlier but mine also are slow growing and some dont seem like they are growing at all.

photo IMG_4027640x427_zpscbc06a53.jpg

the first two pots on the lower right are my largest, I tried to start 3 or 4 per pot

photo IMG_4028640x427_zps126949d5.jpg

photo IMG_4029640x427_zps3f29cd4b.jpg

photo IMG_4030640x427_zps846018c4.jpg

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Ipomopsis

March 19 2013, 11:27 PM 

Steve,
Your Ipomopsis look fine.
I keep mine very close to the fluorescent tubes (I moved them for the photo). I think it should provide a bit more growth than otherwise, because light intensity drops quite a bit with distance. Just my 2 cents. happy.gif

(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 20 2013, 12:14 AM 

I also raised mine for the photos. Yes I agree I usually have mine closer maybe a couple inches away.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 20 2013, 6:51 AM 

Gary

Thinking April 20th early in the day.

May check out Maggie Marsh while I am out that way.

I am definitely having trouble getting used to the colder
weather and snowy weather again after being away from the area for almost 20 years.

Vicki

(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 20 2013, 9:33 AM 

Vicki,

That date should work for me. If you want to take a look at my list of seeds I started and look at my cuttings on the cuttings thread, you can let me know what plants you are interested in getting and I will make sure I have some for you.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 20 2013, 11:24 AM 

Ward - Thanks for the pinching advice! I realize it's a bit too soon to do so now, but I had been curious as to when would be a good time. I'm trying to think ahead. I always notice how much fuller my mature salvias get when I trim them.

Steve & Kleiser: Nice looking seedlings! Perhaps when they hit the warm air and sunshine they'll start to really take off. I also see we have a Star Trek fan among us! Hmmm! wink.gif

Here is the current state of my seedlings. It was time to get them into soil cups. The center dome is the Hardy Hibiscus. They hadn't yet broken the soil in this pic...

photo SalviasWeek4_031913.jpg

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 20 2013, 11:43 AM 

Ok Im discovered also have a ST clock among other things, but only the original series.

Caro-- By the way your seedlings are coming along and look nice mine on the other hand are way behind.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

March 21 2013, 6:49 AM 

caro, I start pinching mine after they have six leaves. Seems to work for me happy.gif

(Login K8_Zone6)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 26 2013, 10:00 PM 

Vicki,

I thought of you today when I received a Mulberry Creek Herb Farm catalog in the mail. They used to do mail order, but stopped a few years back. They are located in Huron, Ohio. Not sure how close that is to you, but it looks like they sell plants in some other places.

Although they are organic herb growers, they have a number of hummingbird plants in their catalog - 3 agastaches for hummers, 10 or 12 salvias that are hummingbird attractive, some foxgloves. Their salvias are all listed at $3.99 each, which in this part of the world is a very good price, so it might be worth the drive. (They come in 3 1/2 inch bio-pots made of rice and bamboo.)

They also sell plants at
Days of Yore Wellington, OH daysofyoreherbandflowerfarm.com
Gard. of Bath Bath, OH thegardenerofbath.com
Mustard Seed Akron & Solon mustardseedmarket.com
Natures Bin Lakewood, OH cornucopia-inc.org
Village Herb Chagrin Falls, OH villageherbshop.com
Whole Foods Cleveland Area wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/chagrin

Open March 19-July 31 Tuesday-Saturday 10-5 pm Also Sundays 1-5 in May

Here is their website URL: http://mulberrycreek.com

If they are anywhere near you, you could pick up some great plants at a good price to help take the place of the plants you are no doubt missing.

Regards,
Kate

(Login Pennytoo)

March 28 2013, 7:03 AM 

All seeds sown in regular potting mix and placed in west facing window

Early March
Aquilegia desertorum (desert Columbine)- 2 seeds - both germinated around 3/15/13 -repotted 4/3/13

March 28th
Canna indica - 5 seeds - Germination of 2 seeds 4/10/13
Salvia 'Scarlet Spires' - 8+ seeds. 1 seed germinated on 4/3/13 a second on 04/05/13
Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red' - about 12 - full germination on 4/3/13

April 3rd
Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph' - sowed about 12 seeds - seeds germinated 4/8/13
Salvia subrotunda - about 12 seeds Germination started 4/10/13

April 6th
Silene regia - 1 container of about 1 dozen seeds that have been cold stratified naturally outside on the plant stalks all winter - SURPRISE! Lots of hermination as of 4/13/13. Didn't expect germination in 6 days.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 28 2013, 8:22 PM 

ARGH. I think I've spotted some young aphids on my seedlings! What should I do?! Is it ok to neem them? Seedlings are about 5 weeks old now.

I've been growing these indoors and have NO idea where the aphids would have come from. I rid my patio of any aphid infected plants last fall. Destroyed plants and soil. sad.gif

EDIT: I think/hope I may have nipped this in the bud sotospeak. Saw 2 seedlings with possible aphids on them and a) ran them under cold water, and b) pruned off leaves that looked like something was going on. I just don't want to Neem anything at this early stage.

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 28 2013, 10:28 PM 

Gary

The main plant I really would like is the red buckeye anything in addition to that is more to what you have too many of. I am figuring to be at Bench Farms on the 20th of april at 10 AM .. .(or so) ... I am picking up a flat of hummingbird/butterfly plants that Cindy has taken cuttings of .. and in the past I've had a 100% success rate with them

The other is calamentha .. although not sure it will work in our zone .. Ward???? will it work here???

Kate ..

I really, really ,really need to check out those places .. chagrin falls and solon are very near by the others I need to check out
Vicki

(Login Pennytoo)

March 29 2013, 6:13 AM 

Vicki
The calamentha Nepeta is very hardy so you shouldn't have a problem growing it in OH. I ended up removing mine because I kept fibnding new plants everywhere. The first one showed up in my yucca bed out front then the next year it was in the back yard in one of my salvia beds. Good drainage is a must but you probably already know that.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Ward
(Login WardDa)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 29 2013, 7:47 AM 

I am with Penny, Calamintha should do fine. It however has never put out a seedling and I wish it would. To feed the bees requires many more than the few dozen plants in place. I will have another dozen or two for planting this spring but would prefer a hundred more.

My jalapeno seedling are ready for division into single cells and the tomatoes nearly. There is also a big set of Agastache foeniculum seedlings, for the bees and butterflies, that I have great hope for. They should been started a couple of weeks earlier but the space wasn't there.

Gary
(Login Naturelover68)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 2 2013, 1:26 PM 

Vicki,

The 20th should work for me. I'll probably be working that day but it won't be until later in the day. I still have a red buckeye for you. The seeds came from Nancy Newfield so they've been blessed by the hummingbird master, haha. I'll also have some salvias for you including several cultivars of Salvia guaranitica, greggii and microphylla. I was also going to root a trumpet honeysuckle for you but my plants haven't really started growing yet because it's been so cold. I might only be able to give you an unrooted cutting if you want to try rooting it yourself. I can also give you a clump of old fashioned pink coral bells if you want that.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Napoleon.gif

I love hummingbirds
(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 2 2013, 10:10 PM 

Gary

Sounds good for april 20th .. although part of me is ready to
head over this weekend... (if this saturday is better let me know and i will do the drive over this weekend)

spending the week in chicago .. burrrrrrrrr .. and
badly want spring over....

Still keeping the plan on april 20th .. at 10 .. if you need me to be there
earlier let me know ..

Cindy at Bench farms suggested she'd have some honeysuckles .. happy.gif

vicki

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 3 2013, 9:45 AM 

Finally got my seeds sown yesterday. With only 4-6 weeks before planting they shouldn't have time to deteriorate in the small yogurt cups like they did a bit last year.

Lady in Red
Coral Nymph
Subrotunda
Agastache 'Coronado' (orange)
Mina Lobata
Tropical Milkweed

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA

(Login Pennytoo)

April 8 2013, 12:31 PM 

Bump

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login Pennytoo)

April 10 2013, 5:39 PM 

bump

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 10 2013, 10:20 PM 

what site do I go to
to determine what my zone and all that stuff are?

I am now in Middlefield OH and figure I better figure
that out before trying any plants in the yard vs putting them
in containers so I can pull them into the garage when chance of
frost arrives in the fall

I do know that the NJ zone was warmer .. possibly even a 7 where I was being close to the Delaware River

although I think it is officially listed at 6B

trying to get used to there not being any plants ready
to purchase yet here in Ohio .. not even pansies or daffodil are really outside in the nurseries without being covered ..

although it is staying above freezing tonight so will be leaving some of my plants out on the front porch

Vicki

(Login Pennytoo)

April 11 2013, 5:43 AM 

Vicki
Ohio is pretty much considered zone 6, If you click on Ohio it will take you to an enlarged map showing the counties. http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/#

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 11 2013, 10:59 PM 

Thanks Penny someone told me it was 5A which I found difficult to believe

I'll check out the link you mentioned

Vicki

(Login vwozniak)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 11 2013, 11:03 PM 

I just looked it looks like 5B

having been used to 6B+ ... well
it's different

Vicki

(Login Pennytoo)

April 12 2013, 4:41 AM 

Vicki
No you aren't in zone 5. You are definitely zone 6

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 12 2013, 6:34 AM 

Vicki.....You live near Cleveland right? One of the few spots in Ohio that is in zone 5b.

(Login Pennytoo)

April 12 2013, 6:40 AM 

OK Kerry might be right but I think you can still get away with zone 6 plants. When we first moved into this house it was zone 5 and I planted for zone 6 and never had a problem even on the coldest winters. I think if you add mulch that will help
Just did a little more checking and the Arbor Day Foundation rates Middlefield a zone 6
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/GoSearch.cfm?MultiSearch=44062&submit=Search

I think you are close enough to 6 that you can safely consider yourself 6 even if then USDA rates you at 5b

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 12 2013, 10:18 AM 

Looks like she could be in zone 6......Like you said Penny, Extra mulch would help just in case.

(Login Pennytoo)

April 12 2013, 10:23 AM 

I think the hardiness zones are just a general guideline and they can be altered from year to year. I use them myself as just that a general guideline. I think that an individuals Soil conditions and precipitation can also play a big part in a plants survival.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(Login alkerry1)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 12 2013, 12:33 PM 

Also if you are in a deep valley or on top of a hill. I think thier is a lot to consider. Also the wind. Which we seem to get a lot here.....So frustrating at times.

Current Topic - Seed starting 2013  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005