<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Using last years Potting Soil!

April 21 2013 at 6:07 PM
  (Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Just curious what other people are doing about over wintered plants using the same potting soil in the same pot. Ive read pro and con on the subject.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Using last years Potting Soil!

April 21 2013, 6:58 PM 

I used it and in fact I used it to sow some of my seeds and everyone came up and are doing fine.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

(no login)

April 21 2013, 7:16 PM 

When a friend and I were doing David Verity cuttings a couple of weeks ago we used his old potting soil from last year's pots. I need to call him and ask how it is going.

(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 21 2013, 8:05 PM 

I also used last year's potting soil for my David Verity, Scarlet Spires and Penny's Smile cuttings and they are all doing great. I admit that I did mix in just a tad of plant tone since I am sure any nutrients that were in that soil was completely depleted.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Indy Steve
(Login Stevenindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 21 2013, 9:19 PM 

I have to admit Ive pretty much been using the same soil for david verity, wendys wish and any potted greggii as long as the plants are coming back strong. Certainly nutrients must have been leached out by now but it seems as long as you add time release or liquid fert. it should be replaced hopefully.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

[linked image]

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 21 2013, 9:51 PM 

I remove half of the potting soil in my containers and toss in my garden beds, then I mix some new potting mix and a handful or so of compost together with the remaining potting mixture to amend the container soil. My plants always seem to perk up when I re-pot them this way. I think the nutrients do leach out after a year. But I've not ever changed the mixture in my rose containers, I just top them off with compost every now and again or leaf mold.

I've read an article about not disturbing the established microorganisms in all soils whether it be in the ground or in a container. I decided that if my potted roses were happy, I was not going to mess with their container potting mix. So far, that has remained true now for about 5 years. I just add compost once or twice a year on top of the potting soil.

And has anyone heard about this?
Potting Soil Contained Legionella Bacteria

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=118004&page=1#.UXSWI8rheSo

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL
Click for weather forecast

(Login kathijr)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Using last year's potting soil

April 22 2013, 12:39 AM 

Steve,

I admit that I'm lazy and I just top off last year's pots with fresh soil or repot if the plant has outgrown the pot. I often find myself planting things in the ground that have really expanded a lot or sometimes it's possible to take them out of the pot and divide the plant and keep half in the pot and put the other half in the ground or in another pot. I tend to fertilize all of my pots periodically throughout the season, so I think just topping off the old with fresh soil is OK providing the plant hasn't totally outgrown the pot.

We are looking forward to being able to do this soon. I'm actually kind of glad I didn't have to do it today because I hurt my back and it would have been tough to do that kind of work in this pain.

Have fun!!

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
[linked image]

Priya
(Login Priya_S)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 22 2013, 2:13 PM 

I always re-use. It's too much effort to fill up new containers every year, not to mention the expense. I just top off with fresh potting mix, and put a layer of leaf mold as mulch.This year, I have a bale of Pro-mix to try out. The plants seem to do just fine, they get a dose of Osmocote around now and once later in the season.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Current Topic - Using last years Potting Soil!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005