<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Baby hummingbird question for those who know!

June 14 2013 at 7:29 PM
  (Login Stook)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Mama hummingbird set up a nest right outside my office window. We watched their growth, which was a wonderful experience.

They were at the point this morning that the two of them barely fit in the nest together. One would get out and start flapping away, but not going anywhere. I peeked out the window and noticed one was missing, so I went to investigate.

I found it just a few inches from the nest, standing on a branch.

Well, apparently I got a little too close, and it jumped off the branch and took flight for the very first time while mama was away - buzzing off and out of sight.

Well, I feel terrible! Should I? Is the baby bird in danger? Is it bad that it may have flown off to somewhere that the mother can't find it?

Since then, mama has been returning to feed the remaining baby about every 1/2 hour or so, which makes me think that I may have startled the other one off prematurely and put it's life in jeopardy.

Here's a picture of them from this morning, about 1/2 hour before I accidentally scared one off.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1980333/7281_10200760871237993_66231796_n.jpg

Any info or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

Re: Baby hummingbird question for those who know!

June 14 2013, 8:30 PM 

It's OK, Stook! Mama bird will find him or her. She knows the babies like to explore when they fledge. happy.gif

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

(Login Stook)
Hummingbird lover 2013

June 14 2013, 8:36 PM 

Ah good, thank you!

(Premier Login bob2aa)
Forum Owner

Welcome Stook

June 14 2013, 8:40 PM 

[linked image]

Very cute picture. I'll bet momma can find the fledgling.

Cheers,Bob
KLEX - USA
USDA Zone 6b
Lexington.gif

(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 15 2013, 12:08 AM 

There is no way to know if the youngster that fledged prematurely is OK unless you see the mother feeding it. If the young one makes some sounds, then the female may look into it. However, with one still in the nest, she may be focussing all of her attentions on the chick in the nest.

Just keep a vigilant eye but do not approach the nest. If you should find the youngster on the ground, place it on a perch in a shrub within sight of the nest. Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/
[linked image]

(Login Stook)
Hummingbird lover 2013

June 15 2013, 3:02 AM 

I can't not approach the nest unless I don't leave my house. It's literally 2 feet from our front door. We've been cool for the process.

(Login Carobuzz)
Hummingbirder 2010

June 15 2013, 1:19 PM 

Nancy is correct ofcourse, Stook! I always trust her expertise!

Sometimes I get a little over optimistic. I was just anxious to tell you that all was not lost. :?

Caro
SE PA, Zone 6b
Sinking_Spring.gif

Current Topic - Baby hummingbird question for those who know!  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005