<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Japanese Beetles 2013

June 28 2013 at 1:05 PM
  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

The first Japanese beetle just appeared in my yard. I'm pretty sure this is later than last year, but I expected that given the cold spring. I won't have to worry too much about about the in-ground david verity this year because it is only a few inches tall, but for the first time my schumannii is out in the open and vulnerable. I know Steve has had trouble with beetles shredding his schumannii.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Find more about Weather in Cedar Rapids, IA
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Japanese Beetles

June 28 2013, 1:30 PM 

Dan,

That's not good news. We have not seen any yet, but are expecting them any day. Typically, they show up around the third week of June, but are running late this year because of our weather.

They LOVE cuphea unfortunately. Penny did suggest putting cupheas in the shade during the hottest part of the day and that did help. We have a lot of Cuphea 'David Verity' this year.

I'm sure we will see our first one today or tomorrow. Yuck!!

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Japanese Beetles 2013

June 28 2013, 2:09 PM 

I didnt want to speak the JB words but am not surprised they are late this year as everything else seems to be late also. Since Dan has spotted one I will have to keep a closer watch out for them. Yes they do seem to hit my schumannii hardest of all and I have a few in the ground and one in a pot. One year they shredded one so bad I finished it off my self out of disgust. The last couple of years although not this year I put down some milky spores granuals, curious to see if that helped any. Last year I dont remember a very heavy invasion here but others on here said they had a good amount , maybe it was Kathi and Michael.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 28 2013, 10:46 PM 

I removed my first two Japanese Beetles of this year yesterday, from rose blooms. Earwigs are eating up the annual Vinca.

far west Chicago 'burbs, zone 5a
Find more about Weather in Glen Ellyn, IL

(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

June 28 2013, 11:26 PM 

Earwigs need not so healthy wood, not necessarily rotten but not real good. They won't go into wood like termites do and cause damage but will eat away where damage is already present and make things worse.
Find the bad wood, remove it and most of the earwigs should go also.

Click for Green Bay, Wisconsin Forecast
Titletown, USA
Plant Zone 5a
AHS 3 4

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 28 2013, 11:31 PM 

Took a close look at my schumannii today , the ones in the ground appear to have possible mites. The one in the pot is a beauty untouched so far. I put some stuff on the inground plants that should help.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

June 29 2013, 12:08 AM 

Gee thanks for bringing the JB theme on. The past 2 years have been horrid with uncountable beetles. Foolish me bought some cuphea again even though I told myself that I would not.

OK...let the drowning of the bugs begin... [linked image]

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

Find more about Weather in Pewaukee, WI

(Login jjfaulconer)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 29 2013, 7:47 AM 

Found JB last weekend on my Hyacinth Bean Plants.
Saw a couple in my veggie garden last night. I haven't had any issues
with these for several years. I will be getting some traps very soon.

The Bumble Bee trouble here I think my be passing so I hope the hummers
can now enjoy the feeders without all the intrusions from the bees.

Aphids just about killed my honeysuckle vines, they are now looking better
but no blooms on them yet. However something is eating chunks out of the leaves,
can't seem to find anything on them, so they must be eating at night.

Lug wigs have decided to stop messing with my butterfly bushes, so they are looking
great.

Lots of insect problems this year.

Jodi
Zone 6
South Central Ohio
Find more about Weather in Greenfield, OH

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 29 2013, 9:56 AM 

One of my worst fears. So far I've not seen any.

Sorry to hear that some of your are having a problem with this unwelcome insect!

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 1 2013, 2:58 PM 

Dan

Have not seen anyone make reports at least for a couple of days, what your situation now? I check mine daily closely. Really all I have to check is my cupheas, they always get hit if they are around. Nothing to report yet.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Japanese Beetles 2013

July 1 2013, 4:53 PM 

No Japanese Beetles here yet in Madison, although it's been so cool and overcast that I'm not surprised. These insects like it very hot and dry. Unfortunately, this weather keeps the beetles away, but it does nothing for our garden---many salvias have stopped blooming, including Amistad.

On a positive note, I did see my first lightning bug the other night and a beautiful Red Spotted Purple Butterfly on Saturday. Those are insects I can love!

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 2 2013, 6:20 PM 

Steve, I have not seen another beetle the last few days.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 2 2013, 10:15 PM 

I have not seen one yet. However, while edging the gardens I have found so many grubs that I know that it will be a horrid year here with the JB's.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 4 2013, 5:56 PM 

I found a few beetles on my jacob cline monarda today.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 4 2013, 6:35 PM 

Intellicast is showing temps to get into the 80s by the weekend and beyond but it will need to quit raining and the sun shine for a couple of days for them to be active here. I just checked everything again no sign. We are 11" above what we experienced last year. That stat is for indy though not martinsville. Should be near the same here.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Japanese Beetles 2013

July 9 2013, 11:22 AM 

We saw our first two Japanese Beetles yesterday on Cuphea. We were out of town for four days, so are not sure of their actual arrival date. A neighbor with rose bushes saw her first last week.

Yuck!! The bucket has been officially started.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 9 2013, 11:55 AM 

I've only seen one beetle in the last four days. Maybe last year's severe drought has cut down their numbers? That would be a nice side-effect of the drought.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 9 2013, 1:13 PM 

As of today still no beetles that I can see. Of course my cupheas are the very first plants I check and you know why. But I also give everything the once over. Heres hoping I dont have to report anything else beetlewise.

Just looked at the weather , looks like our long period of everyday rain will end wed and starting thurs we will several dry days in a row of dry days so if I have them it will be in that period.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Jul 9, 2013 1:26 PM

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Japanese Beetles 2013

July 9 2013, 3:51 PM 

I found a few more beetles today on our Impatiens glandulifera (Policeman's Helmet). They seem to be attracted to those pale flowers in a particular spot in the yard (near a bunch of cupheas). For those who don't know what this plant is, here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impatiens_glandulifera

Some perennial sweet peas that the beetles dearly love did not come back this year, so that is almost a relief.

We had rain this morning, but I think the drying out of the next few days will unfortunately bring more beetles.

They certainly arrived several weeks later this year than in past seasons and we can only hope that the drought of last season will decrease their numbers greatly.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

Japanese Beetles

July 9 2013, 4:30 PM 

I treated my lawn and garden for several years with Milky Spore and my Japanese Beetles numbers have been way down... to like zero. They were previously eating everything and now I very rarely see one. I know it defies logic that controlling Japanese Beetles on my property should not prevent them from flying in from elsewhere but that seems to be what happened.

Possibly, Milky Spore in the soil deters them from coming in or maybe most of the Japanese Beetles don't travel far from where they emerge to where they eat and mate. I don't know but I don't have them anymore since I used Milky Spore and I never spray any pesticides.

Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on Jul 9, 2013 4:32 PM

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Japanese Beetles 2013

July 9 2013, 5:33 PM 

We used Milky Spore about 10 years ago and it did actually decrease our population of Japanese Beetles quite significantly, but it's still a major problem. We read that Milky Spore has to be a community-wide effort to really be effective. None of our neighbors, including one with rose bushes, chose to use this approach unfortunately.

This spring Michael applied beneficial nematodes to our lawn---we'll see how that works. And, it's probably time to apply Milky Spore again.

Thanks for bringing this up Ron.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 12 2013, 1:42 PM 

I also used milky spores the last two years. I had found a sale on the granuals and used that, so far no beetles. Is it due to the spores, maybe partly. At any rate I have one beauty of a potted schumannii that I dont normally have this time of year due to the beetles.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 12 2013, 5:07 PM 

Will have to get some treatment. Have had some on my Jacob Clines Monarda this past week. I keep a soapy water container and go out and get them several times a day.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA

(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

July 12 2013, 8:14 PM 

Yup the buggers are all around the last few days. The only plants that they are eating on right now are the Coral Nymph. Bucket, water, soap....swim. I also noticed that a few have made their way into our hornet trap. It's a two chamber trap that has liquid on top and dry food on the bottom. The beetles are going into the top with Mt. Dew and some extra sugar added. Wasp, hornet, beetles, I don't care as long as they go in and drown.

Titletown, USA
Plant Zone 5a
AHS 3 4

(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 13 2013, 8:58 PM 

I came home and found 8 of them today on my cuphea llavea. So far 'David Verity' is OK. The battle is on. Kathi I have been looking at the nematodes and it sounds as if they should work quite well. Please let us know if they are helping at all.

For now it is time for soapy water and perhaps some Neem.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 14 2013, 10:14 PM 

I have tons of JB's now. They're completely skeletonizing the Oenothera biennis, which is at least expendable.

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 14 2013, 10:51 PM 

None here yet - but when they arrive thats what they do to my schumannii without fail.

Brian
(Login BrianONT)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 15 2013, 8:58 PM 

4 or 5 sparrows are usually lined up on my eavestrough waiting to swoop down and gobble up the beetles as they land on my hydrangeas or a yew that is directly below the eavestrough. I started noticing them doing this a couple of years ago. They do a really good job as it is hard to find any out front where the sparrows feed. It's easy to find beetles out back where they don't have this type of perch.

Brian
Brant County,Ontario
Zone 5b

71573.gif

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 19 2013, 1:44 PM 

You guessed it just spotted my first on my large david verity. Had to look close to see it was on the underside of foliage, could also see a couple leaves with some handiwork, must have just gotten there maybe yesterday as I didnt water yesterday. So far has not touched my schumannii.

Speaking of schumannii as I may have mentioned the ones in ground in main garden are not doing well but the cuttings I stuck in back in the same plot as my cardinal flower are all doing well looking good and even though they are not more than 8" tall at best one is already flowering which indicates they are happy there so from now on that area is where all in ground schumannii will go.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2013, 2:09 PM 

Normally, I'd be seeing a lot of beetles by now. This year, however, they just haven't shown up. Every few days I see one or two, but that's it. I don't know what happened to them, but I'm loving their absense.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 19 2013, 6:21 PM 

We've only had a few every day up until now. Yesterday and today they have really increased a lot and are loving the Cuphea 'David Verity', Spotted Jewelweed and Impatiens glandulifera. I've also found them on a lot of plants that haven't even started blooming yet such as Buddleia, Rose of Sharon, and Hardy Hibiscus. I guess like everything else this season, they are running a lot later.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 19 2013, 6:46 PM 

Kathi and Michael

Yep same ole thing just a little later.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login howlinggood)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 20 2013, 10:35 AM 

They are lacing into my bat faced cuphea badly. I am so mad, it's war. What's the best defense again? They are quick little buggers.

Donna
Long Island, NY
Zone 7(a)?

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 20 2013, 11:19 AM 

I believe most people just a bucket of soapy water once they arrive. Then there is milky spores in between seasons.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

(Login howlinggood)
Hummingbirder 2012

July 20 2013, 11:25 AM 

Steve, do you pick them off by hand? They are hard to catch and really creep me out.

Donna
Long Island, NY
Zone 7(a)?

(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

July 20 2013, 11:53 AM 

Well after years of picking by hand we finally broke down and bought a trap for them. With our hours of work we just couldn't keep up with them. My wife works at a hardware store and the trap that sells out every year and is specifically asked for more than others is the one we bought. Now I know why people use this one. One day and the bag is full, hundreds of beetles, I didn't know there were that many around.
I don't really like giving brand names to stuff, but, in this case I have to. It isn't available to ship to all states but you might find them locally at your local garden center/hardware store. All I can say is gitt'em while you can.

http://www.saferbrand.com/store/garden-care/70102

Titletown, USA
Plant Zone 5a
AHS 3 4

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 20 2013, 2:17 PM 

Donna

No usually when you try to pick them off they just drop or fly off. So I put a soapy container under where they are so they will just drop in your bucket.

I also dont use traps as those things have a scent that just attracts more to your yard. Hopefully people in your area dont use them either or you may be fighting a losing battle.

So far I have only seen them that one day. Im keeping a close watch on my cuphea schumannii as that always seems get hit and they will congregate where the blooms form. its always that way.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Jul 20, 2013 2:53 PM

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 20 2013, 2:36 PM 

Spotted some on my Canna today--I'm sure there will be more to follow.

Zone 4 Red Wing MN

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 20 2013, 5:56 PM 

They are now driving me mad. I have to go out 3 to 4 times a day and knock them off my JC monarda into soapy water. Its never ending. But at least they are not bothering anything else that I am aware of.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA

(Login beckygardener)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 20 2013, 6:59 PM 

Knock on wood ... I have not seen any this year so far.

In fact ... the only time I ever saw them was the two times I tried to grow Bat-faced Cuphea. I struck that plant off my list and gave up.

~Becky~

Find more about Weather in Sebastian, FL

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 21 2013, 2:22 AM 

We tried a Japanese Beetle trap one year and it brought many more beetles to our yard. But, I can understand if someone is working or is busy with children and family and just cannot be out in the garden all day long doing this. The key is to locate the trap far away from your garden areas. Most of us have property that's just too small in size to really do that. There is a highly toxic pesticide that works, but obviously that is not an option for a hummingbird/wildlife gardener. It is a frustrating problem with no real answer.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Patti S
(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

July 21 2013, 8:27 PM 

Penny had a pretty good method of deterring the JB's. She used a homemade citrus spray. Boil the rind of a citrus fruit until soft (grapefruit, orange or lemon). Allow to cool. Strain. Spray this mixture on the plants. She would also sometimes add garlic and/or cayenne pepper.

I have used this and it does help quite a bit. It must be reapplied frequently and especially after rain.

There is also this thread for any new members here.http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/thread/1278763898/Non+Chemical++Natural+Japanese+Beetle+Eradicator

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 25 2013, 7:13 PM 

Japanese beetle season has been a total no-show for us this year, much to my delight. I'm still only seeing a few beetles per week. Most days I see none. I have to assume the worst drought in 60 years, which lasted through last year's beetle season, had a strong negative effect on the beetles. Maybe this year's lack of beetles will then carry over into next year as well.

[linked image]

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 25 2013, 7:25 PM 

Dan

Same here I saw the one and havent seen anymore so looks like my schumannii will make thru this season after all.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Japanese Beetles on Oenothera biennis

August 5 2013, 6:33 PM 

Here's a shot of the JBs on my evening primrose. Now that the roses are done for the moment, this is their favorite plant.
2013 08 05 photo 20130805006_zpsd5082613.jpg

(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 5 2013, 6:53 PM 

The number of beetles in that photo is about 3x what I saw the entire season.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

(Login evoor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Dan

August 5 2013, 9:15 PM 

This year is a good the numbers are way down ..I only see maybe one or two I just kick them off the plants.My fire cracker cuphia the dark red ones just loaded of flowers.The best year for all my flowers except two Rosita agastche blooming .Planted there for now are agastche in June than start dieing becauce of clay.I replace agastche in annuals and looking good.

Eldon voorhees

(Login evoor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Dan

August 5 2013, 9:15 PM 

This year is a good the numbers are way down ..I only see maybe one or two I just kick them off the plants.My fire cracker cuphia the dark red ones just loaded of flowers.The best year for all my flowers except two Rosita agastche blooming .Planted there for now are agastche in June than start dieing becauce of clay.I replace agastche in annuals and looking good.

Eldon voorhees

(Login evoor)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Dan

August 5 2013, 9:16 PM 

Eldon voorhees

(Login Patti-S)
Hummingbirder 2010

August 5 2013, 9:23 PM 

Yes they really do like the Evening Primrose. Yours seem to have more leaves than mine do. I wonder how mine even survive as they never have any leaves. I now just let this plant grow on the far side of my ditch to lure the beetles back out there. This and some wild variety of Pussy Willow is devoured by the beetles every year. At least these plants help to keep them off of the cuphea's.

Patti
Pewaukee, WI
Zone 5A

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

August 6 2013, 6:13 PM 

Yes, the Primrose seem to serve as a bait plant. Speaking of bait, if one has the patience to collect a few JBs, they're a pretty good bait for bluegills (on small hooks). happy.gif

(Login Yodlei44)
Bug Moderator

August 6 2013, 11:29 PM 

I'm thrilled. My counts are way, way down this year. Wasn't too bad last year either but then last year was so hot & dry, don't think they could get out of the cement!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 7 2013, 8:46 AM 

Our numbers of Japanese Beetles are also way down this year. Other neighbors have also reported fewer and there's been nothing in the media about them like there usually is this time of year. We think it was the drought and hot summer of last year followed by a very hard winter. Also, our local experts say that these insects appear in cycles and we are luckily in a "down" cycle this year. Finally, some relief from our past high numbers and endless hours of picking.

[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

(Login flowerpowereverett)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

August 8 2013, 4:13 PM 

I just thought I would share this tidbit that I came across today:
http://www.finegardening.com/item/23481/make-your-own-natural-spray-for-japanese-beetles

I feel fortunate that we don't have japanese beetles in the PNW(not yet anyway!) However, I have a lot of roses and the very idea of being invaded gives me nightmares because what I've been reading suggests they are making their way over here. I also don't spray or use chemicals in the garden, but this treatment sounded like it might work. Paul doesn't say if it works against anything else but I would think it might.

Ruth
Everett, WA
Zone 8
Find more about Weather in San Francisco, CA

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 9 2013, 1:52 AM 

This is interesting Ruth. Thanks for posting. Luckily, our numbers are way down this year, but I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Many people in our neighborhood used to grow roses, but most had to get rid of their rose plants when the beetles came (about 15 years ago.) We only have one plant and it mostly doesn't bloom during the height of beetle season.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Current Topic - Japanese Beetles 2013  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
TinyPic image hosting site

TinyPic is a free picture hosting site and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Free Image Hosting site

FreeImageHosting.net is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use:Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload; Copy Image Code; Paste that code in your message.

FreeImageHosting.net -

Filename extensions allowed: gif, jpg, bmp, png
Filesize limit: 3,000KB

Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005