Blogger Tricks
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

All gone for this year

September 1 2013 at 12:18 PM
  (Login Miladymimi)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Well, it's been two days now without one hummingbird sighting. After such a busy year, it's way to quiet in my gardens. I guess the last few stragglers decided to head out on their southbound journey. It's kinda sad, but I look forward to next year. Who knows maybe I'll get a few passersby before it's all over with. [linked image]

Middle GA
Zone 8a

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

Re: All gone for this year

September 1 2013, 2:57 PM 

Plenty still headed your way. We in Green Bay are seeing the best action of the summer so they have to head south from here at sometime.

Keep the feeders up and clean, they'll need some go juice when they get down your way.

Oh, and

Giv'm Hell Dawg's!!

Click for Green Bay, Wisconsin Forecast
Titletown, USA
Plant Zone 5a
AHS 3 4

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 1 2013, 3:06 PM 

Terri

Would this be normal for your area? I find it hard to believe more hummers wont come thru your area. I still have decent action here even adult males. As you may know adult males are considered the first to leave and be gone for the season. When I see no more adult males then I consider everything tailing off for the season here.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Sep 1, 2013 3:08 PM

(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 1 2013, 4:48 PM 

If we are still seeing hummingbirds in southern Wisconsin, I find it hard to believe that they are all gone from your area further south. You will definitely see more before it's all over.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

Find more about Weather in Madison, WI

(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

September 1 2013, 5:43 PM 

Me too, maybe just missing somehow. I have some here in nw PA still just waiting to head own your way!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA

(Login Miladymimi)
Hummingbird lover 2013

September 1 2013, 8:53 PM 

I guess I spoke to soon. Late this afternoon two males showed up. I didn't see them at first, I heard them fussing. They didn't pay the feeders much attention but were all over the buddleia. I'm still keeping the feeders up and going, just not putting as much in them. Until this year we've had so few hummingbirds, it was hard to tell their particular habits. This year has been a big learning curve. I'm glad to see a few coming through, we're so rural I was afraid the migrating birds might pass us by. [linked image]

Thanks for all the encouragement. That's what I like most about this forum.[linked image]

Oh yeah, most definitely "GO DAWGS!!" [linked image]

Jim
(Login yardbirdjim)
Hummingbirder 2012

September 2 2013, 5:31 AM 

Keep watching Terri, we are presently just going thru a lull in the number of birds passing through Georgia. It seems that we are in between so-called waves of hummers right now. This is only the beginning of September which is the peak month of hummer migration for our area. The numbers should increase dramatically over the next two to three weeks. I am hoping to see several hundred birds over the next four weeks before activity drops off rather suddenly.

Some of our friends to the north of us are reporting a decrease in the number of sightings this year. That may or may not be the case for us. Migration seems to have either started a little early in my area or I have had more birds than usual this year. Be patient, we will see what happens.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Jim
south Georgia

(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

September 2 2013, 11:22 AM 

Personally I have come to believe that migration starts way earlier than we normally tend to believe. Way back in early july I had a boatload of adult males I even posted a photo of 6-7 males fighting to use one feeder. But after a day two those males were gone. Then still in july for a couple weeks hummers were emptying TWO 30oz feeders every two days, then that stopped and those hummers moved on. Since then there has been waves of decent amount of hummers then what seems like none or very few. This year has just seemed so much different than most past years where all major hummer action seemed to happen in august then just like turning a hose off and watching the last bit drain out- but this year just different- still I wouldnt be surprised to see oct hummers or not.

Steve
martinsville In
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

Current Topic - All gone for this year  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Browse for your picture, Select and Open, Upload picture, Copy the "Shareable" code, Paste it in your message.

You can upload unlimited image files up to 2MB each for FREE.

Upload Now is an independent image hosting service and is not associated with this forum.
Translate to another language

Enter a long URL to make tiny:

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:

Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005