<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Nectar Notes 2

May 15 2015 at 1:43 PM
Nancy L Newfield  (Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Starting a new nectar thread because the previous one had become too long and unwieldy, plus it is nearly 5 years old. There isn't a lot new here, but each reading is another piece of information. I have changed the protocol slightly. Some Salvias produce relatively copious nectar, but other species/cultivars are pretty stingy. Therefore for most that produce 10 to 30 microliters [µL], I sample 2 flowers. For those not familiar with the percentages, they represent the approximate amount of sugar in the nectar. It should be recalled that there might be several different sugars in nectar though generally, hummingbirds will prefer those with more sucrose, that is the most common sugar available in our markets, be it manufactured from sugar cane or sugar beets. The instrument I am using is an inexpensive one that only gives readings to 32.0%. Any nectar sweeter than the ability of the refractometer to measure is denoted as being 32.0+.

Salvia eizi-matudae - 11 flower yielded about 12 µL of 31.0% nectar.

Salvia elegans - 10 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 23.0% nectar.

Salvia oxyphora - 2 flowers yielded about 35 µL of 31.2% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 26.8% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica 'Cosquin' - 2 flowers yielded about 20 µL of 30.0% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' - 2 flowers yielded about 30 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Salvia xguaranitica 'Amistad' - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 26.8+% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica var purpurea - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 26.8% nectar.

Salvia microphylla - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 28.0% nectar.

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' - 2 flowers yielded about 30 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Salvia microphylla 'San Carlos Festival' - 2 flowers yielded about 35 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Salvia adenophora - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 29.2% nectar.

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' - 2 flowers yielded about 35 µL of 30.6+% nectar.

Salvia greggii 'Cherry Queen' - 2 flowers yielded about 15 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Except for the last entry, readings were made yesterday morning [05/14/2015]. The last was done this morning.

Another new plant Agastache 'Arizona Sandstone' - had a tiny drop of nectar, but 20 flowers yielded considerably less than the 8 µL required to give a reading.

Salvia eizi-matudae is a lovely little plant that I just acquired from Flowers by the Sea. The nectar is very sweet but it takes a lot to make a meal. I find both the scientific and common names to be difficult. Neither rolls off the tongue easily.

Several other Salvia species have flowered this spring, but those seemed to be between shows.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by humband1 on May 17, 2015 3:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Nectar Notes 2

May 15 2015, 2:53 PM 

Nancy,

Thanks for this information. I am encouraged to see that 'Cherry Queen' contains such good nectar since we will have three plants in our garden this season (two purchased locally that are already blooming and one by mail order.) I wish we could get Oxyphora to work here in Wisconsin, but I've decided to bypass that one this season (it did not bloom for us at all last season and only bloomed minimally the season before.)
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 15 2015, 3:41 PM 

I was glad to see the high readings for Black and Blue. It will probably be the only producing guaranitica that I have this year since my Amistad cuttings from last fall didn't really flourish over the long grey skies of winter are still very small. I did get one Black and Blue early from Kermit in case my local resource didn't have any but I was able to pick up two more locally today.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 15 2015, 10:45 PM 

Kathi and Michael said:
Quote:
I am encouraged to see that 'Cherry Queen' contains such good nectar since we will have three plants in our garden this season (two purchased locally that are already blooming and one by mail order.)

Nan: Mine is in a large container in front of the Sinningia sellovii. It has gotten huge, but is in full flower and I can't bring myself to cut it back. Blooming started in early March.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2015, 11:01 AM 

Nancy,

I'm sure that you don't have a lot of spare time but any chance you could ever put all these nectar readings in a single document? I've hunted around your past e-mails - making my own list - I'll try to make a spreadsheet of it all some day... (will send you a copy if I ever do it!).

But, in any case, these nectar readings are very interesting! You can easily see why some plants are so favored and others tend to get ignored, if there are better sources around.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on May 16, 2015 11:34 AM

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 16 2015, 11:50 AM 

Ron asked:
Quote:

I'm sure that you don't have a lot of spare time but any chance you could ever put all these nectar readings in a single document? I've hunted around your past e-mails - making my own list - I'll try to make a spreadsheet of it all some day... (will send you a copy if I ever do it!).

Nan: Ask and you shall receive. SpaceMan did it for us. http://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/message/1372273893/Flower-Sugar+master+chart+%28so+far%29

I copied his compilation and pasted it into a Word document. From there, I can add these new readings. The only new species for the list is Salvia eizi-madudae.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 16 2015, 11:50 AM 

Thanks Nancy,
Valuable info as always.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2015, 11:59 AM 

Thanks Nancy. Let us know when the new entries are added. Maybe put an "as of" date on the bottom of the list, so you can re-issue it periodically?

And when you get a chance, please test and add to the list:

Cuphea "Vermillionaire"
Salvia greggii "Furmans Red"
Salvia greggii "Ultraviolet"
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 16 2015, 12:43 PM 

Ron added:
Quote:
And when you get a chance, please test and add to the list:

Cuphea "Vermillionaire"
Salvia greggii "Furmans Red"
Salvia greggii "Ultraviolet"

Nan: Maybe easier said than done. So far, I have not been able to get my hands on Cuphea 'Vermillionaire'. The only place that knew what it was said they had sold out. They were supposed to call when new stock came in, but . . . no luck. Although they are 75 miles away, I was planning to call and maybe run up to Baton Rouge. However, last evening I was chatting on the phone with a friend in eastern Pennsylvania and she said there was a new Cuphea being sold all over her area - and it was 'Vermillionaire'. Of course, I recited my tale of woe and she promised to send me a couple this coming week. I will test nectar as soon as I have them established. I don't have many Salvia greggii. Actually, 'Cherry Queen' is the only one. I'd like to try 'Ultraviolet' someday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Adrienne
(Login Adrienneny)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

May 16 2015, 9:18 PM 

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing this very useful information to all of us.

Paula Shacklock
(Login PaulaShacklock)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 17 2015, 7:58 AM 

Thank you Nancy for taking the time to get and give us these nectar readings. Much appreciated!
Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

Find more about Weather in Greenville, PA

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 18 2015, 11:41 AM 

Ron, let me know whether you see much action on Ultra Violet. There are a bunch of them in the park gardens but I have seen much action on them. That may be from only observing them in passing or it might be otherwise - lack of nectar or attractiveness to our Ruby-throated.

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Answering Some Cuphea Questions

June 4 2015, 12:04 PM 

Well, I finally found the time, energy, and sufficient flowers to take a look at some of the Cuphea, including the new 'Vermillionaire'. Weather last week was rainy and the new plants have not 'settled in' completely. This week is truly summery in New Orleans, hot and humid with no rain on the horizon. There were only a few fully opened flowers on the 'Vermillionaire', but I was able to do it justice.

Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' - 1 flower yielded about 25 µL of 31.2% nectar.

Cuphea 'David Verity' - 3 flowers yielded about 12 µL of 26.8% nectar.

Cuphea micropetala - 1 flower yielded about 45 µL of 31.8% nectar.

Cuphea llavea - 1 flower yielded about 25 µL of 31.2% nectar.

Ordinarily, Cuphea 'David Verity' gives a good yield of nectar, but mine were pretty stingy and I could find no nectar in the flowers of a neighbor's plant nor was there any nectar in the few open flowers of Cuphea schumannii. Likewise, Cuphea micropetala 'Granada Orange' produced none.

Cuphea subuligera is flowering well, but I forgot to test it. Several times this spring, I saw Ruby-throateds using it.

No hummingbirds have been seen here since 17 May, which is normal for my location. Some of the flowers I tried to test had numerous tiny ants, which almost certainly take a significant portion of the nectar. More later on . . .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 4 2015, 12:52 PM 

Looks like Vermillionaire could be a winner then! Probably should test it vs. DV a few more times though, to see if there's variation. But still, those numbers look pretty good.

Now if they just wouldn't treat them with Neocotinoids....
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 4 2015, 1:24 PM 

Ron said:
Quote:
Looks like Vermillionaire could be a winner then! Probably should test it vs. DV a few more times though, to see if there's variation. But still, those numbers look pretty good.

Now if they just wouldn't treat them with Neocotinoids....

Nan: There are always mysteries with trying to figure out what hummers want. When you look at the figures, Cuphea llavea should be a universal top tier plant for anyone attracting hummers, but inexplicably, it isn't at my place and I know others down here who have the same experience. Still, I expect Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' to be a hit - at least for a few years.

The industry is so fickle. Five years ago, Cuphea 'Ballistic' made a splash. It was popular at my place and I loved it, but now, I don't see it anywhere. Wish I could get my hands on another plant!

As for the issue of Neocotinoids, after reading Kermit's take on it, I'd guess that these toxic substances aren't going to go away without an EPA edict and you can bet the horticultural industry isn't going to let go of it without a fight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Nancy L Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 5 2015, 9:59 AM 

To add to yesterday's Cuphea tests:

Cuphea subuligera - 2 flowers yielded about 20 µL of 25.8% nectar.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

January 26 2016, 10:20 AM 

Picking up the thread again:

The aforementioned Cuphea subuligera croaked over the summer. I should have moved it to a shaded area near the mister. Hope I can find one again. It did get some use.

For the 'Salviaphile':

Salvia leucocephala - 4 flowers yielded about 10 microliters [µL] of 17.0% nectar.

I was somewhat disappointed with the nectar reading, but the plants were recently acquired and they are not in good flower yet. The first flower I plucked was dry. It is an unusual and beautiful plant that I hope will prosper for me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

January 26 2016, 6:46 PM 

Nancy
Thank you for all the testing, I have saved all the nectar testing results that I could search for and then in this thread
"BAM"
there it was .... a link to all of them put together...LOL
I am glad to see salvia guaranitica black and blue is so high on the list!!! That plant seems to be my mainstay and loved by the hummers in my hood, I am just hoping my 30 something plants make it over the winter outside along with the
10-12 plants I have going indoors. I tell ya I would be devastated if I lost them all.
I do know cuphea schumanni was hit big in my yard but the rest of my plants were a hit/miss..
Thank You Nancy!!!!
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 18 2016, 11:43 AM 

Picking up the thread, I am running out of new species to add, but Salvia semiatrata had never been tested and it is in good flower in spite of being only 12-inches tall, so I got out the refractometer. A lot of my best plants are in good flower right now, but I limited myself to Salvias and did not get all of them before I ran out of energy and am nearly out of capillary tubes for collecting the nectar.

Salvia semiatrata - 2 flowers yielded about 12 microliters [µL] of 32.0% nectar.

Salvia coahuilensis - 4 flowers yielded about 12 µL of 29.6% nectar.

Salvia adenophora - 2 flowers yielded about 20 µL of 29.4% nectar.

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' - 3 flowers yielded about 20 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Salvia microphylla 'Heatwave Blaze' - 4 flowers yielded about 10 µL of 28.2% nectar.

Salvia splendens? 'Brazilian Purple' - 2 flowers yielded about 35 µL of 27.4% nectar.

Salvia 'Margie Griffith' - 3 flowers yielded about 20 µL of 27.2% nectar.

Salvia 'Amistad' - 2 flowers yielded about 10 µL of 27.2% nectar.

Salvia 'Phyllis's Fancy' - 3 flowers yielded about 18 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Salvia 'Wendy's Wish' - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 22.8% nectar.

Salvia 'Ember's Wish' - 2 flowers yielded about 28 µL of 21.4% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica var purpurea - 3 flowers yielded about 15 µL of 29.4% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black and Blue' - 3 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 31.8% nectar.

It would be easy and glib to say that the numbers tell the tale, but some flowers with a very high nectar receive very little attention here at my place. Salvia coahuilensis is in a large container within view of the office window, but I've only twice seen usage. Salvia adenophora is in a front bed, where it is not easily viewed, it has grown to 7 feet tall and has been covered with blossoms since December, but I have never seen a hummer use it.

Always more to try to grow and flower . . . what is the fun if there isn't a challenge?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

This message has been edited by humband1 on Apr 18, 2016 8:53 PM

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

More Family Values

June 17 2016, 9:39 AM 

We have experienced quite a lot of rain lately, which dilutes the nectar, ruining any attempt at testing for the sugar percentage. However, the last 36 hours have been dry, so I wanted to test some new plants. While I do have some flowers, much of the yard has been cut back to allow for new growth over the long, hot summer ahead - and I am kind of late finishing the job. Cutting back is hard to do . . . to paraphrase a 1960s song.

Salvia cuatrecasana - 9 flowers yielded about 8 microliters [µL] of 14.0% nectar.

Salvia darcyi - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 30.8% nectar.

Salvia guaranitica var purpurea - 2 flowers yielded about 18 µL of 26.0% nectar.

Pentas lanceolata 'Nova' - 5 flowers yielded about 10 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

Justicia betonica - 10 flowers yielded about 8 µL of 28.0% nectar.

I was a bit disappointed in the Salvia cuatrecasana reading, but the flowers are small and I have seen hummers use flowers that seemed to produce no nectar such as some of the Russelia. There are no hummers around at this time and I do not expect any until sometime in July. Can't wait for the fun to begin!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

This message has been edited by humband1 on Jun 17, 2016 9:49 AM

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Direct Link ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics