<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Nectar Notes 2

June 17 2016, 10:47 AM 

Thank you Nancy for all of your work on this. It is very valuable information for all of us.

I tried to order Cuphea 'Ballistic' from Avant Gardens for two years and they were never able to provide it. I was unable to find a single online source for this cuphea, which was really mystifying. Anyhow, I did find this interesting article about cuphea that people might be interested in reading:

http://www.calebmelchior.com/uploads/2/4/3/0/24308694/cupheas.pdf

The only cuphea we currently have in bloom is 'Vermillionaire', but no use by hummers yet. We did have some very nice use of catmint last night.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 17 2016, 10:47 AM 

I never know quite how to look at this. Is the microliters per flower more important or the sugar reading? It doesn't seem like the hummingbirds are completely sure either.

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

June 17 2016, 12:06 PM 

Ward said:
Quote:
I never know quite how to look at this. Is the microliters per flower more important or the sugar reading? It doesn't seem like the hummingbirds are completely sure either.

Nan: Oh, Ward, you are so wise. The more answers we seek, the more questions we find - and those tiny, little pranksters with wings confound us every time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 17 2016, 1:17 PM 

I don't have a very scientific mind, but I always wondered about that too (the amount of nectar found versus the sugar concentration of it)---thanks for asking Ward.

I like that Nancy, "pranksters with wings", such a wonderful description of those little birds!!

Thank you also to Spaceman for developing a nice chart of Nancy's nectar readings!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

June 17 2016, 2:00 PM 

Yes, so far the hummingbirds that are visiting pretty much sticking to the feeders. If they had to live on the flowers right now they would be going hungry what with the cool spring and slower than usual plant progression. No complaints really, several of the Vermillionair are blooming heavier now and other plants are coming right behind. I keep telling myself it will all be fine come the bust out in late July. What could go wrong? Don't anyone reply to that question!

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Nectar Notes 2

June 17 2016, 3:44 PM 

Nancy,

Thank you for your research and sharing your findings. I was glad to find many of the plants I planted this year on the list. I also recently purchased the two books written by you and am enjoying them immensely. I am fairly new to gardening for hummingbirds and appreciate all suggestions and experiences shared by others.
Thank you,
Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 12 2016, 10:09 AM 

I was waiting to get more samples to test before making another post, but we have had a lot of rain lately, continuously for the last 24 hours, so here is a test from 8/1/2016.

Salvia xsplendens 'Theresia' - 2 flowers yielded about 18 µL [microliters] of 22.4% sugar nectar.

Hummer business here is very modest right now, but this small plant, just about 10 inches tall, has gotten a couple of hits.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

December 8 2016, 9:25 AM 

Have not had much time for nectar testing, but Salvia x'Ultra Violet' is currently in flower and quite some time ago, someone asked about its nectar value, sooooo:

Salvia x'Ultra Violet' - 4 flowers yielded about 12 µL of 32.0+% nectar.

I was a bit disappointed in the quantity of nectar per flower, but some popular and useful flowers produce less. Weather for testing has been poor because of rain, but we've had none in the last 36 hours. I don't know if wind might affect the nectar value, but it is currently very windy. I will try to test again soon.

Salvia guaranitica is nearly always finished by late November. However, this morning I noted that Salvia guaranitica var purpurea is still in good flower.

I've seen no hummers at Casa Colibrí for more than a month, but hope springs eternal!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

This message has been edited by humband1 on Dec 8, 2016 9:27 AM

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

December 8 2016, 10:39 AM 

Ultra Violet has been in the park gardens for about 8 or 9 years now. There it has never been a first choice with hummingbirds but it does get used. It tends to be more favored by skippers and other small butterflies.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

December 8 2016, 11:23 AM 

We have grown Salvia 'Ultra Violet' in containers (since it's so short) off and on throughout the years. Maybe I've missed it, but we've never seen a hummingbird use this plant. We hoped it might overwinter for us outdoors the first year we grew it, but it died. I guess I would rather spend my money on a more lucrative, taller plant that we know gets well used by hummingbirds.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathirock on Dec 8, 2016 12:35 PM

I love Hummingbirds
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

December 8 2016, 5:43 PM 

Thanks Nancy for the information. I added Ultra Violet this year to my collection, as it is said to be cold hardy here, and extremely drought tolerant one of Kermit's "blue tag" plants. I hope they overwinter and received some hummer use. I am surprised that you haven't seen any hummers in a month. I am looking forward towards March and April when the hummers return.

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 27 2017, 11:02 AM 

A few days ago, I noticed that Salvia holwayi had a few blooms and going back through my records, I found no notes on its nectar production, so this morning, I got out the refractometer to measure.

Salvia holwayi - 6 flowers yielded about 12 µL of 25.8% nectar.

Salvia adenophora - 2 flowers yielded about 30 µL of 28.4% nectar.

Salvia holwayi attracts very little attention here. Both it and Salvia adenophora are putting out a second flowering after being frost burned in January.

I thought of testing the Aesculus pavia since it is in good flower, but apparently, bees or ants had already visited. Same for Salvia coccinea 'Vermilion'. At that point, I gave up and will try to do some sampling before too long. Salvia 'Phyllis's Fancy' is putting on lots of buds, just in time for the best push of northbound migrants at my location.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 14 2017, 11:35 AM 

A few days ago, I was reviewing the list of nectar plants with their values and I realized that I had never tested Manettia cordifolia. With some good rains, it was not easy to find the right time to make a reading or to find the right time of day for such. However . . .

Salvia oxyphora - 2 flowers yielded about 60 µL of 31.8% nectar.

Manettia cordifolia - 2 flowers yielded about 25 µL of 25.4% nectar.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 14 2017, 6:10 PM 

Nancy, have you ever checked nectar content of azalea's?
Just curious since I have never seen Hummers using the blooms but other folks say that hummers do use them.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Ward
(Login WardDas)

May 14 2017, 6:15 PM 

It is funny you should mention Manetia cordifolia. This winter I went searching for it. Because it is nearly hardy here and might be a good candidate for leaf-bag protection. It is something I'll find next year. A friend in Cape May swore by it and grew it all over a chain link fence.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 14 2017, 7:30 PM 

We have grown Manettia cordifolia on our arbor for several years now. Late season hummingbirds do really enjoy it. It's difficult to site though. The first few tries, it kept dying. Now we grow it in a hanging pot inside our arbor and it grows beautifully there and flowers very profusely and adds to the color of the other vines growing there and then it's easy to bring inside for the winter since it's not hardy for us. I'm glad to know it contains a decent amount of nectar.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2017, 6:23 PM 

I just picked up Salvia oxyphora from Cottage Gardens last week. Good to know it is up there on the count. Will report any findings.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics