<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Kristin
(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Honeysuckle - Aphids are back

May 28 2016, 8:23 PM 

Oh my goodness, Dan, that IS a lot of flowers! Mine had maybe 2/3 as many flowers this spring, its best spring ever, but there were no hummingbirds to visit them.

I just saw a hummingbird this afternoon fly to my honeysuckle, investigate a few shriveled blossoms, then flew off (disappointed, I suppose!) to my feeders. I have seldom seen my vine so devastated by aphids. There are usually at least a few decent flowers in even the worst infestations, but this time there's pretty much nothing but badly shriveled and dying blossoms. It was frustrating that there were no blossoms for the poor little bird, when there had been so many a few weeks ago. Maybe I should just shear everything off, burn the cuttings, and see what grows.

Oh, and by the way, this is all happening in SW Pennsylvania.

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 28 2016, 11:07 PM 

Well I am trying honeysuckle this year, I tried it many many moons
ago
I planted the following this spring, in fact 5 went in yesterday
3 Lonicera sempervirens 'Coral Honeysuckle'
2 Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'
1 Blanche Sandman Lonicera sempervirens
1 Gold Flame - Lonicera × heckrottii
I wanted to get Major Wheeler but they didn't have any at my nursery
and I figured I'll keep looking locally

Here is a very informative article about Honeysuckle Aphids and I am
going to book mark this for my reerence
It explains the insect and what to do......

http://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/help-pests/honeysuckle-aphid
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 29 2016, 11:38 PM 

My photo looks real good from a distance, but up close there are quite a few mangled blooms. Each day I'm still finding more aphid colonies, despite the calendar nearing June. One thing I've noticed... the vast majority of the aphid infestation is on the right(east) half of the vine. The left(west) half is pretty clean and is loaded with good blooms.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 30 2016, 2:20 AM 

Steve and Dan, those are beautiful honeysuckles!!! It is such a striking vine when it's in full bloom. I only wish it bloomed more in the fall when increased numbers of hummingbirds were around.

Despite 6 honeysuckle vines in full bloom, we've seen only occasional visits this spring---we have a bunch of feeder junkies I guess!!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 4 2016, 10:41 AM 

I used Neem oil on both of mine. The aphids were still there when I checked on second day, third day they pretty much were gone. Some of the leaves on one plant were yellow not sure if it was the Neem or damage from the Aphids. After 5 days there was still some Aphids on it , nowhere near the amount before I sprayed. Im going let mother nature do its thing and see what happens. Still getting blooms and the female is still visiting them.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 4 2016, 2:39 PM 

For those of us who are plagued by aphids and want to grow honeysuckles its a yearly battle. For my personal battles I will stay with water sprays and sometimes removing leaf clusters that are swollen with aphids. Neem oil, Horticultural oil, and soapy sprays will work and that is mainly what is contained in Cathy's article link. Lots of times I will use plain water and using the jet spray just blast the suckers out of the hiding places, yes you will get some on your hands in the process but I can deal with it. On plants that have dense foliage it will be much more difficult but you can do it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

I love Hummingbirds
(Login AdamTaylor92)

June 30 2016, 7:02 AM 

Aphids is a common pest on many plants. You must have pest control in such areas.

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 30 2016, 8:16 AM 

The Honeysuckle Aphid season is ending here. They don't seem to have new generations later in the summer at least not intense ones. If the rains are regular the vines will begin growing again and new blooms will form. For those of us who love honeysuckle they are just something we must deal with.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 30 2016, 11:49 AM 

A few weeks ago I cut off all of my honeysuckle's mangled buds and aphid-infested growth tips. The vine is now putting out its second flush of blooms and there are no aphids at all. May is just a bad month for this vine.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kristin
(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 1 2016, 10:16 PM 

I'm in southwestern PA, zone 6. Finally, my 'Alabama Crimson' is looking good. It went from the best I've ever seen it early in the spring (when there were no hummingbirds but should have been, normally), to the absolute worst I've ever seen it, with every flower shriveled up and ruined, to the way it is now, full of flowers and looking good. There are still some affected blossoms, and I keep pinching them off and destroying them, hoping to put a damper on aphid reproduction.

I'm quite pleased with how the vine is turning around. I got water in my camera lens, so I can't take any pictures. The hummingbirds are loving it, and I'm seeing a fair amount of activity in general, visits from at least 2, and I think maybe even 3 or more females, plus a male or two coming around. Visits are regular and frequent. I don't think 10 minutes can go by that I'm not seeing one or two at the feeders. I'm using two small feeders now, and they're getting drunk dry in a day and a half or two. I know this is nothing compared with the numbers some folks have, but it's nice and steady. It's good to see them at feeders, on the Lonicera, and on the 'Jacob Kline' Monarda, especially after their frighteningly late arrival this spring.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 1 2016, 10:28 PM 

Luckily I havent been troubled by aphids for what seems like weeks, but I feel for those who are having them they are a true pain in the unowhat.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics