<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Lobelia cardinalis as bog plant, anyone try it?

June 23 2016 at 12:10 PM
Alex  (Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

I know they are considered a bog plant, so I've decided to experiment. I cut a stalk from the garden and tossed it into the edge of the pond. With past pond plants I would just bury the roots in the rocks and let them go, so I have done the same here. On the first day it wilted, day 2 it perked up and is standing tall. Let the experiment begin. Anyone else have any pics or experience with it in there pond?

[linked image]
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by Sweeper13 on Jun 23, 2016 12:30 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Adrienne
(Login Adrienneny)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Re: Lobelia cardinalis as bog plant, anyone try it?

June 23 2016, 1:24 PM 

I have not tried this but I like your picture. I'm curious too. I have some in a plantainer which don't seem too happy but that could be because it gets too hot, the clay soil is becoming too compacted or I'm just not giving it enough water; in the past I had a lot of water and it started to smell anaerobic.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 23 2016, 1:50 PM 

Nice experiment going there. I do know that at one of favorite greenhouses when they have lobelia cardinalis they have it in a pot and sitting in water, so I see no reason why it wont prevail.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

June 23 2016, 2:16 PM 

We have grown Lobelia cardinalis in our small, shallow pond before and it was successful. The plant loves water, so why not? It may only be an annual in our colder zone though as it would not overwinter in such a situation (we shut our pond down for the winter.)

Looks great Alex. Go for it!!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 23 2016, 2:25 PM 

I have grown Lobelia cardinalis for years. It can grow, planted in shallow water, but it doesn't NEED to be that wet. It just needs moist rich soil. So it is great for a bog garden or just a low spot in your garden, where water collects. You can also grow it in relatively "normal" parts of the garden, provided that you supply extra watering when it gets dry.

I think the tiny seeds will not germinate in water so I suspect wherever it grows "in water", the spot was seasonally flooded and is not under water year-round. Here is my "patch", growing in a low moist, bit not wet, spot in my garden.

[linked image]

[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 24 2016, 10:35 AM 

Thanks to all for replying.

I used to put my plants in a pond planter with tarp and soil. Then I started to look into lillies and how people planted them. So I started to bury the roots in the gravel and I never looked back. All the plants in my pond are planted that way and go CRAZY. I used to have fish until the raccoons & heron got a hold of them.
Alex
Northlake, Il.

This message has been edited by Sweeper13 on Jun 24, 2016 10:37 AM

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 24 2016, 5:17 PM 

Alex,
This will be fun to see if it does root.. you did say it was just a stalk?
I love this plant and just popped a whole bunch of wintersown
ones all over the yard, I'm waiting to see if they like where they are at
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 24 2016, 10:43 PM 

Yep, I just grabbed one sitting on the outside edge. The stalk did wilt earlier today, checked on it this evening and it was standing tall.
Alex
Northlake, Il.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 25 2016, 9:04 AM 

Mine are not flowering as yet , but should be in the near future.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

June 25 2016, 6:24 PM 

Mine wilt every warm day if I don't water. Someone posted (here or Garden Web) photos quite awhile ago of a L. cardinalis stalk tossed into a pond where it rooted. It's been said this plant can't be over watered.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Kristin
(Login Kristinbirds)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 27 2016, 11:11 AM 

It grows wild in certain spots in western PA. I see it along streams, but I've never actually seen it growing in the water. That may be because the streams themselves are rocky and gravelly with no real soil to grow in. Instead, they grow along the banks in the soil, or in slightly higher islands in the streams, as close to the water as they can. I'm sure they get flooded now and then, too.

My morning sun/part shade garden is a two foot deep hole lined with pond liner and filled with soil. It is not boggy, but that liner keeps it nice and moist. Sometimes if we have a lot of rain, water will stand briefly just at the surface, something you seldom see in my overly well drained yard, filled with tree roots and sitting on so much rock and limestone that the water just seems to disappear into it and the soil gets dry. Anyway, it's not like growing it in a pond, but it does well in these conditions, and so does my Mimulus cardinalis. The Mimulus seems to like very similar conditions and I suspect it would grow in standing water as well.

The deer are eating my Lobelia cardinalis, too. They're eating everything! Lobelia cardinalis are supposed to be deer resistant, but they're nibbling at it, chomping main stalks down to stumps. Interestingly, they haven't touched the Lobelia siphilitica that I have mixed in. We'll see if it manages to bloom unscathed.

Interesting theory about the seed germination not occurring in water. Sounds very plausible.

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 27 2016, 11:35 AM 

The lesson in all this is the plant needs a very high water table, well within the reach of its roots because other wise it turns the gardener into a slave with a watering can. Around here is grows along pond and creek edges and is far from an abundant plants. At the park it grow sparingly just above the tide line (freshwater tidal).

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 27 2016, 11:54 AM 

Mine originally did grow in a boggy corner of my yard where the yard sloped down to an old creek that ran the length of our yard. I have since been moving new starts to various locations around the gutter downspouts etc. and now I could supply the whole town with plants.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics