<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Salvia 'little kiss'

September 12 2016 at 6:05 PM
Dan  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

I was just perusing salvia photos and came across a new one called salvia 'little kiss'. It looks just like 'hot lips'. It is described as being better behaved than 'hot lips' and grows compactly. Anyone seen or have any experience with it?
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Sep 12, 2016 6:06 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Re: Salvia 'little kiss'

September 12 2016, 11:38 PM 

Tony Avent has had it for the last few years in his test beds. It seems to have reached PPAF status, and is being sold in North Carolina:

http://www.johnson-nursery.com/plant-nursery-new/plant/little-leaf-sage-little-kiss/id/2414005

Here is an image of a young plant in 2014:

[linked image]

I belive the mature plant has gotten up to 2 feet tall, but have not seen it yet this year.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

September 13 2016, 3:36 AM 

It certainly looks like 'Hot Lips' on a smaller scale. For best success with use by hummingbirds, using it in a container would be highly recommended.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

September 15 2016, 10:00 AM 

Sadly that height would get lost in my
garden
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

September 21 2016, 9:59 AM 

I don't have an image yet, but Little Kiss does get bigger the next year, about half the size of the mother plant.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2017, 7:04 PM 

After replying to Kathy's mail order thread, I remember seeing a new improvement to 'Hot Lips' & upon searching, remembered I saw it in a magazine under Southern Living Collection. See Dan mentioned this last fall. I kept my eye out but didn't see it anywhere, nor mentioned on the usual mail-order sites I frequent. 'Hot Lips' is too brittle & loose & would love to try this. I will have to make a note to mention this to my local places that carry 'Hot Lips' & see if they can try it. Has anyone found/grown it yet, except for Rich's contact?

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 16 2017, 7:20 PM 

A few local places have 'hot lips' this year, but I've never seen 'little kiss'.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

I love Hummingbirds
(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

May 16 2017, 7:55 PM 

We trialed it last year and it grew to at least 80% the size of Hot Lips after a slowish start. Not enough difference for us to grow it.
Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics