<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia x guaranitica 'rhythm and blues'

November 10 2016, 11:47 AM 

When I bring my tenders in to the porch I don't cut them back right away but wait until they develop fresh growth closer to the base. Rarely do any of them continue to set flowers once they are taken in, probably because the porch is too cold and rather shady. The salvias were not in pots but in the ground and their root balls put in the smallest pot that could be gotten away with - rough handling that they somehow survive. It would be nice to get some cuttings before we enter deep winter and the porch cools into the 40s and upper 30s at night. If I can't it will be March before they can be taken and at that point most of the propagation space is already occupied. Rather than making do it would be really nice to have a greenhouse to work in, even one serviceable only in spring would do the trick.

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Pot size

November 14 2016, 12:50 AM 

Ward, it is good to use the smallest pots for the root ball. Too much soil will result in sustained soggy conditions that will cause root rot.

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

November 14 2016, 8:19 AM 

True. Usually the plants need regular water when they are first dug and brought in. That seems to change after a few weeks, maybe because they grow new fine roots?

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

November 14 2016, 9:31 AM 

Kermit, do you have any new pictures of 'rhythm and blues'? I'm curious to know just how blue vs purple this is. The few images available now look as close to 'amistad' as 'black & blue' to me.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Nov 14, 2016 9:39 AM

I love Hummingbirds
(Login kecarter)
Hummingbird lover 2011

November 14 2016, 11:44 AM 

Finally, Photobucket seems to be working.

Here are a few images:

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The color is not as pure a blue as Black & Blue, but not purple like Amistad. All of the nursery folks that grew it last year called it blue, and that was before it was given a name.

The picture in a small pot is 10 weeks old from the date of the cutting.

BTW, ours outside are still blooming.

Kermit
Kermit Carter
Flowers by the Sea
Elk, California
On the Pacific Coast, USDA Zones 8 & 9

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 26 2017, 1:48 PM 

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen Bodacious Rhythm and Blues at a local garden center. I'm guessing it won't be more widely available until next year.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Apr 26, 2017 10:08 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 26 2017, 6:34 PM 

I don't show it listed on any plant lists of my local places. I looked again at Cottage Gardens list, since they are carrying a handful of Kermits plants, but don't show it on their list this year either. I am keeping my eye out.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 5 2017, 4:21 PM 

I've been to all the local garden centers and I have not seen 'rhythm and blues'. As usual, 'black and blue' is widespread.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 5 2017, 4:21 PM 

I've been to all the local garden centers and I have not seen 'rhythm and blues'. As usual, 'black and blue' is widespread.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 2 2017, 10:37 PM 

Those of you who are growing 'rhythm & blues', any first impressions?
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

June 3 2017, 11:58 AM 

Dan,
I received one about a month ago from FBTS. It's healthy and growing slowly but not setting any records. Admittedly, conditions have not been ideal. The two plants it came with, Orange Yucca-Do and Salvia rubescens subsp. dolichotrix are both blooming so Rhythm & Blues is running behind. My yard is usually a good place for guaranitica types so that's a little surprising. Brett
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 18 2017, 4:50 PM 

Any updates, Brett, or anyone else who's growing this?
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 18 2017, 5:15 PM 

We ordered and received our plants from FBTS very late. One plant has flower spikes (but not blooming quite yet) and is doing very well so far in the ground (especially given that it does receive some shade) and the other is still a green plant in a container.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Brett
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 18 2017, 6:16 PM 

Dan,
Rhythm and Blues hasn't done much. It's a little bigger now than the earlier photo and it's had a couple of flower spikes. Overall, it is the slowest growing Guaranitica I've had and I've had most of the usual suspects. This may be my fault. When I received the plant I was out of my favorite Pro-Mix BX potting soil. I used a home brew concoction of Pro-Mix Herb and Vegetable, compost and some run of the mill potting soil from Home Depot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I may go buy some designer dirt and repot the Rhythm and Blues. If that gets things moving I'll let you know. Brett

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

July 18 2017, 7:16 PM 

Mine is doing just okay. It has bloomed a little bit. The plant looks good and I am going to move it to more sun to see if I get better results. I was really looking forward to it.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

July 20 2017, 6:21 PM 

One of our two 'Rhythm and Blues' just started blooming yesterday. The flower color is similar to the other guaraniticas, but since we also have 'Black and Blue' and 'Black and Bloom', it seems like the flowers on 'Rhythm and Blues' are a little longer and more robust and certainly exceed the size of 'Black and Blue'. We don't have enough hummingbirds yet to determine if hummers would choose 'Rhythm and Blues' over the other guaranitica types. Time will tell....
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

July 20 2017, 10:03 PM 

I ordered two of these Salvias one has been blooming for about two weeks now the other just started blooming about 5 days ago. Hummingbirds like them and I have decent pics of them using it will have to post later (well decent pics for an IPhone). This Salvia does seem to be a by slower growing than Amistad and the blooms are more purple than blue but a Salvia I like.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

August 12 2017, 6:07 PM 

Any mid-August updates? I would hope all your plants are blooming well by this point in the season. After all, this is supposed to be a prolific, long-season bloomer.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

August 12 2017, 8:46 PM 

I have not been impressed with it as of yet. I am still hoping that it will put on a good show in Sept. Purple Haze has not been very exciting either.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

August 12 2017, 10:32 PM 

While you can't make a judgement about any plant that grows in our less than ideal garden (cool, overcast weather and too much partial shade), neither of our 'Rhythm and Blues' is blooming right now. 'Purple Haze' has just started blooming (same time as 'Purple Majesty'---both receive about 6 hours of sun a day.) So far, I think I am more impressed with 'Black and Bloom' than 'Rhythm and Blues'----I have one in a container and may dig up the second one and I will try them again next season.

We are having super cool temperatures for August---only in the 70's---so I don't have any great hopes for many of our salvias blooming for our September Hummingbird Garden Tour.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics