<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Off Topic - Rusty Patched Bumblebee

December 15 2016 at 1:21 PM
I love Hummingbirds  (Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

I know this post is not about hummingbirds but a pollinator none the less. Hope that is okay Bob?

The video on the bumblebee is interesting.

http://www.rustypatched.com/

[Bob here. Yes, it is perfectly OK to post this. I just added "Off Topic" to the message title]

This message has been edited by bob2aa on Dec 19, 2016 9:54 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
greenmann
(Login greenmangardens)
Hummingbirder 2012

Re: Rusty Patched Bumblebee

December 15 2016, 2:13 PM 

Thanks for sharing this! We don't have the Rusty Patched Bumbles here in the PNW of course, but I've seen similar kinds of disappearances in my own garden at least. When I first started gardening for wildlife here 30 some odd years ago, I regularly had 4 species of bumbles in my garden any given year. Last year I had two. But at least with the bumbles, it varies from year to year which ones I have or don't have.

More depressing is that one year I had a native Mustard White Butterfly, which is supposed to be one of the more common whites in our area. I haven't seen one in almost twenty years now. At the time I didn't think too much of it, but didn't know what to plant for the caterpillars either. By the time I realized it was gone, planting the native mustards it uses to lay it's eggs on has been rather useless. I continue to grow them where I can just in case... So many of the native bugs use native "weeds" that get eradicated with the domestication of the landscape, and we loose so much of our biodiversity through "cleaning things up"...

Personally I think whoever linked the old phrase "cleanliness is next to godliness" with gardening should be shot. The leaf piles and weed patches harbor far more life than the carefully mowed and edged lawn.
Brett Johnson
near Seattle
Washington 98040
USDA zone 8b

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Rusty Patched Bumblebee

December 15 2016, 2:45 PM 

What a lovely video. My state is within the range of that bumblebee. One of the most rewarding things about the Palmyra Nectar Gardens is the bug photographers that come to appreciate it and take pictures. One of them had an opening in the park's center last year. Also, thinking of Ron's post about Monarda viewers will notice that most of the Monarda in the video is fistulosa.

Don't worry about Bob, you are safe as long as you don't mention outdoor cats. And hummingbird gardening is just one part of the wildlife gardening subject.

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Rusty Patched Bumblebee

December 16 2016, 12:29 AM 

Thanks for sharing that amazing video. The photography was spectacular. I love photographing bees, although none of mine can compare to those in the video and none as rare as the rusty-patched. But, they are all pollinators and worthy of our respect. Here are a few pics of a carpenter bee enjoying the Physostegia virginiana (Obedient Plant). The sun was going down and the golden sky, pine straw and firebush provided some Florida Fall color.

Enjoy,

Rhonda

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I think he looks like he's giving me the finger in this one LOL

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Dec 16, 2016 12:33 AM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Off Topic - Rusty Patched Bumblebee

April 19 2017, 8:35 PM 

Construction project not too far from me was halted due to this bee.
http://www.nwherald.com/2017/04/17/endangered-bumblebee-temporarily-stops-construction-on-longmeadow-parkway-in-algonquin/a77zw7/

Seems to happen quite a bit round here. Com Ed just took out some poles in a right-of-way by helicopter so as not to disturb the Hine's Emerald Dragonfly habitat:

https://poweringlives.comed.com/a-big-move-for-a-small-creature-protecting-the-endangered-hines-emerald-dragonfly/

Can't remember where I just saw it but protecting Blandings Turtle was just mentioned not too long ago as well.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics