<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cuttings for 2017 season

January 28 2017 at 9:30 AM
Ward  (Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

We used to do this and I always thought it instructive especially for those just starting out. I always liked to use the edit button which allows for all the updates to be on the same page.

Cuttings made under shop lights with bottom heat.

David Verity - 20 cuttings taken in October, 20 into cells 1/8.
18 cuttings taken 1/8. Into cells 1/21.
9 cuttings take 1/28, into cells 2-18. 9 cuttings taken 2-18, 9 into cells 3-2

Amistad - 16 cutting taken November. The 16 into pots and cells 1/8. 6 cuttings 2-25

Salvia Silke's Dream - 4 cuttings taken in October, all into cells 1/8.
4 cuttings taken 1/8.

Salvia greggii Big Pink - 4 cuttings taken October, into pots 1/8.

Salvia Big Raz - 4 cuttings taken October, into 4-pack 1/8.

Salvia Embers Wish - 2 cuttings taken November. Potted 12/25.
1 cutting taken 12/25, potted 1/15.

Spineless Prickly Pear - pad cut 1/7 and set to dry wound, set in pot to root 1/14.

Salvia Wendy's Wish - Very poor cutting material, 4, taken 1/28.

Salvia guaranitica Argentina Skies - 3 taken November, three potted 1/8.

Lavender Grosso - 22 cuttings taken October, 22 into cells 12/25.

Salvia splendens Tall Form - 5 cuttings taken early November, those 5 into pots 1/8. On 2/4 another 7 cuttings taken.

This message has been edited by WardDas on Mar 2, 2017 7:12 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

my poor attemps

January 29 2017, 8:34 AM 

Well so far all I have actually growing in Cuphea Vermillion.....I can't even kill them.
[linked image]
I keep starting B&B but killing them.
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

Re: Cuttings for 2017 season

January 29 2017, 8:40 AM 

Hi Ward
Should I cut my B&B back? Will it make it bushier? And use the cutting for starts?

[linked image]
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Ward
(Login WardDas)

January 29 2017, 6:55 PM 

It looks like you could get at least one. I like to see the beginnings of new branching pretty low on the stem since there is the risk of killing a plant. Is this a plant that dug and brought in? If so it is more likely to sprout from the ground and not at much at risk as a rooted cutting. Generally I like to pinch the growing tips of shoots to promote branching as soon as possible. Right now and par for the course are my Silke's Dream cuttings - too leggy and no side branching.

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

January 30 2017, 8:07 PM 

So that is the plant I panicked about over the holidays and dug up. This one is a couple of rooted cuttings I took last fall. It is very happy in my window

[linked image]
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Gail
(Login Gaill)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

January 30 2017, 8:25 PM 

I've had good luck sending B&B and Wendys Wish, potted, to the basement for the Winter with very little water and very little light. I WANT them to go dormant, but they never do completely. Often there's good material to start from cuttings as the season gets going.
Gail
SE Michigan
USDA Zone 6a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

January 31 2017, 10:49 AM 

Gail-- Im guessing your basement is not cold enough for dormancy unless it is around 40 degrees or lower . Usually people want plants to go into dormancy that have been outside for at least a season,, cuttings might be considered to tender for that.

Ilena-- Just speaking for myself I prefer to pinch cuttings and cuttings that are more ambitious than others get more cut backs than others. For instance Amistad have been pinched and cutback at least twice.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Linda 7b
(Login roper2014)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

February 1 2017, 7:35 AM 

I brought in my whole pot of David Verity into my sunroom last fall when it was getting to cold for it outside. Didn't want to take any chances
of cuttings not making it..I know this is not a cutting , but I would like to give it a good pruning when the weather warms up some. How does
it do to a good pruning.
Virginia Beach, VA
Zone 7b

Virginia Beach, Virginia Conditions

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

February 1 2017, 10:38 AM 

You can do pretty much anything you like to David Verity short of submerging it into boiling water or shooting it into space. You might consider doing your pruning about a month before it goes back outside. In that month it will grow new shoots out of its stems and probably from its base. You could also cut it back now and get a bushier plant. I would not cut it back completely to the ground. While it would probably recover from that too (mine regrow after wintering under leaf bags) why take the chance? Whatever you do your plant will yield all the cuttings you want if you want them.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

February 2 2017, 12:38 PM 

It has been reported that Kathi and Michael Rock dig up inground David Verity bring it in to their sunroom and then back out and those plants get to be 5' tall. Personally I just take cuttings as it is just to easy to clone them that way. As others have commented it is hard to stop DV from growing. In my area I cannot get DV to return in ground leaf bag or not.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

Linda 7b
(Login roper2014)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

February 2 2017, 5:43 PM 

Thanks, I will give it a pruning next month.
Virginia Beach, VA
Zone 7b

Virginia Beach, Virginia Conditions

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

February 3 2017, 12:57 AM 

Steve,

Cuphea loves our soil and climate! We have super rich, moist soil that it thrives in. When a cuphea (or any) plant is overwintered inside, you get a large, well developed rootball and that gives it an incredible head start once it's in the ground with sun, warmth, nutrients and water. I think a 5 foot plant from a cutting might not be realistic for a single season but maybe in a couple years you could achieve it easily.

In the Gulf Coast area where Cuphea is a perennial, it reaches 5 feet and much taller since it grows all year long. There are so many wonderful hummingbird plants that we cannot grow at all in Wisconsin, so I'm relieved that there are one or two like this one that are foolproof and vigorous.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

February 3 2017, 9:02 AM 

Sniff-Sniff all my cuttings I took in late summer that started out
great have since passed away, well I should say pretty much have
passed away..what is left I doubt will flourish.
I did take some cuttings off my DV and have them in water, they rooted
and I plan on transplating them into pots maybe even today. I think I will put them on
a heat mat under a light in my basement till they get well establised
then move them with the rest in the crawl. I thought I heard someone did this with
new cuttings? This is my first with water cuttings
of this plant so hoping it works cause I want to fill a bunch of domes!!
All the rest of my plants are still alive in my crawl, I think I may lose one batface
but I can always get another one, I wanted to see how they did I read it is better to take cuttings
and work with new plants
Grrrrrrrr
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

February 3 2017, 10:03 AM 

If your David Verity is well rooted and the basement isn't completely freezing you probably don't need to give the plants bottom heat. Bottom heat is mainly used the encourage cuttings to root. The problem with bottom heat on potted plants is the root balls dry out really fast so if they aren't looked after every few days the plants might dry out and die.

Steve, I am not surprised that David Verity doesn't survive for you under leaf bags. I am warmer in winter than you are and most years survival is only about 50%. Sometimes here in South Jersey when we've had exceptionally mild winters it has returned when it received no protection at all. On several occasions I thought clumps were dead and only after pulling them up did I notice the beginnings of new shoots in the root mass. This aside, the wintered over ones under leaf bags don't really grow all that much better than plants from rooted cuttings.

As to the size David Verity will grow from cuttings in a single season results will vary depending on soil conditions, fertilization and watering. My cuttings usually get to between 3 and 4 feet tall by August when provided with the best of everything.

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

February 3 2017, 2:14 PM 

Various Salvias and roughly 8 cuphea cuttings. The salvia to the far right is starting to bloom. All are doing well. The seeds have since sprouted and are under lights.

[linked image]
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Ward
(Login WardDas)

February 25 2017, 6:13 PM 

This always the start of a dangerous time. The roots of the older cuttings have filled their pots and plants dry out in a flash. Without a careful constant attention all the work can be easily lost.

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Greenhouse is a busting out all over.

February 25 2017, 10:49 PM 

My greenhouse is exploding with growth. The cuttings I took ten days ago are already rooted, and of the 36 baby flats, I've pulled 14 already for potting up. I'm even getting good cutting stock for midsummer plants like Salvia melissodora, which will take longer to root. Cuttings stock is forming now in my cold greenhouse with all of the S. greggii and microphyllas, just in time for me to have for my first cluster of big sales in early April.

My cutting bench will be full tomorrow as well, with flats 37-42 filling in the holes left by the rooted ones I've pulled.

And it's time for me to sow seed under grow lights.

I'm going to be very busy this coming month. It's a good thing my CPAP is giving me back the energy from 3-4 years ago.

I'm having to proportion fertilize, and I'm seeing signs of some pests, so I've got to spray soon. The anoli lizards and tree frogs are picking up steam as well.

Even though we are returning to more typical cool conditions, the lengthening days will even things out. I'm not going to need a lot of propane for March (knock on wood).

Ward
(Login WardDas)

February 26 2017, 3:45 AM 

So which greggi and microphylla have garnered your attention and effort these day. In another post you mentioned searching for non-leggy types and that peaked my interest.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

February 26 2017, 12:06 PM 

In relation to non-leggy types without consideration of in-ground hardiness in a particular zone, I found only 4 of the many I've grown stay more bushy, shorter and floriferous than the others and they are:

Purple Pastel
Bezerkeley
Tangerine Ballet
& an Unknown yellow variety (tag misplaced)

Royal Bumble stayed shorter & fairly bushy for a couple of months but then started to sprawl a bit towards late summer.

Tangerine Ballet cutting has also weathered my neglect of watering so its pretty tough & "mom" is throwing out a lot of green leaves (over-wintered in basement).

My 2 cuttings of Ruellia 'Ragin Cagun' brought inside late last fall are very green & doing well but not growing much.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

compact greggii

February 27 2017, 10:11 AM 

Ward, Viva is a compact gregggii/microphylla form with reddish-purple flowers that is a mild spreader. It might make a good ground cover at some point.

Forever Red is another hybrid which seems compact when compared with similar forms with a long bloom period.

Not a greggii, but Salvia blepharophylls Cervina, which is patented but hard to find sources of, stays small and forms tons of stolons.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics