<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Cuttings for 2017 season

February 27 2017, 3:07 PM 

my first attempt to add an image.

This unknown microphylla, similar to San Carlos Festival but red, always stays neat and is tremendously hardy - a May 2016 photo. It spread from tiny cuttings planted ten year before. A modest plant, rather than have a period of crazy heavy bloom it just keeps going and going through all weathers at a moderate pace. It also tends to die back to near the ground making spring pruning easy. Now if I only knew which cultivar it was.

may2016unknownmicrophylla
imag

This message has been edited by WardDas on Feb 27, 2017 3:14 PM

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

February 27 2017, 3:58 PM 

Ward,
Love the picture a great looking planting of the Salvia, I wish you knew what it was as well.

Ward
(Login WardDas)

February 27 2017, 7:09 PM 

If you want it ask me in early May and I'll send a small plant. It is always rooting along the edge. 2016 was a good year for it. The winter and spring of 2015 had hit it really hard, killing it right to the ground. The summer that followed was dry and that held up recovery. How it looked in May 2016 was very pleasing. The one downside to growing marginal plants for this climate is the worry they cause.

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Mystery Salvia microphylla

March 5 2017, 11:05 PM 

Ward:

Could that be either Heatwave Blaze or S. microphylla Forever Red? Did I ever send you the latter? A closeup peek at the leaves suggests San Carlos Festival. Your description tells me it is probably stoloniferous. Some forms like Hoja Grande form stolons.

Ward
(Login WardDas)

March 6 2017, 5:13 AM 

It just might be that latter. Do me a favor. I don't think I have your current email and have a question I'd rather ask off forum. My email is wdasey@his-pa.com

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 6 2017, 10:08 AM 

Ward-- Great job on your first image. Nice flower shot grouping. What is the purple grouping mixed in the red?
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

March 6 2017, 12:36 PM 

Ward,
I would love to give the Salvia a try, I'll try to remember and send you a reminder in May. Thanks!

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

March 6 2017, 1:24 PM 

that is just some European Salvia someone stuck in without asking me. I let it go but don't want it. Usually people steal plants or run them over with their cars so that in itself was a bit of an oddity.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 7 2017, 8:35 PM 

That sure is some mighty impressive band of Salvia, Ward. Wish mine would grow that full & neat. Hoping to add a huge bunch of compost this spring before planting & see if I can improve my soil. I used to till every spring for a few years before I found I shouldn't do that. It's pretty hard & crunchy in some spots.

As for my few, thought I killed it by neglect early on but found little leaves sprouting on my Buddleia 'Orange Sceptre'. See I chopped the top off of my Ruellia 'Ragun Cagin' in the pix:
Photobucket

Should've separated it but plant in the very middle/front is a Salvia 'Tangerine Ballet' cutting from last summer that is coming along:
Photobucket

The rest in the pix are overwinters. I'm going to prune all my overwinters in the next day or so.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Mar 8, 2017 3:18 PM

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

March 8 2017, 4:03 PM 

Keep in mind that the patch was 10 years old and other than one odd seedling is all exactly the same plant. Originally that patch was a row of about a dozen tiny rooted cuttings. You're problem is you don't have surviving plants to create such a patch; you are too cold. There is a way to do it when growing these plants as annuals. To do that you just propagate a whole lot of examples of the cultivar you want to grow and them plant them about a foot apart. They will all grow together into a single patch. I did this with several other types at the park when the gardens originally went in. Salvia greggii Wild Thing worked really well and so did Salvia Ultra Violet. I am guessing that some of the shorter hybrids Kermit developed would also work well. The thing to avoid is the taller types.

I am somewhat surprise that soil type makes much of a different when greggii and microphylla are grown as annuals. Obviously you don't want standing water but otherwise...

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 8 2017, 6:26 PM 

Gotcha! I didn't really mean the soil improvement was only for the Salvias. Both large flower beds really need it, especially the existing plants. Just that fluffier dirt can't help. I amend a lot when I plant.... shovel of balanced organic granular like Plantone and/or some Kelp Meal, lots of worm castings & a humus drench.

I always have some volunteer bush Salvia & Agastache seedlings every spring but nothing that would get your results. I'm just happy to see any & I'm pretty damn good at knowing a seedling from a weed. That is why I never hire help. The 1 time I did, they pulled up many plants & some were many years old & sentimental.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)

March 8 2017, 6:45 PM 

We learn a lot when we're in there with the weeds don't we? I have luxury of light soil and the home soil has thirty years of cultivation and many tons of composted stable cleanings. It is funny if you added all that compost in one run it would be at lease three feet deep, but the garden ate it all barely raising itself above the surrounding ground and it is very sandy. Sandy soil is like one those types we all know, the skinny person who eats like a horse and looks like a greyhound.

You might thing about putting organic matter on the surface and not dig it in. That is what I did out in my sandy garden. It worked very well decomposition slowed way down.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 9 2017, 9:35 PM 

Top dressing is what I planned on, Ward. Tried lasagna beds a few times in little spaces & does work well. I also use "chunky" mulch & I'm amazed how quickly it disappears.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

2017 Cuttings

March 22 2017, 10:05 PM 

I've been trying for awhile to root Cuphea llavea cuttings. It's been more difficult than expected. Several dipped in Clonex and put into Vermiculite failed to root. Several in water, changed every couple of days didn't root and got fungus on the stems. One in potting soil with Clonex has rooted, after a few weeks. An enclosure was made with two deep plastic saucers, one just resting on the other.
photo 2017 03 22 002.sm_zpsl5mvymqa.jpg
photo 2017 03 22 003.sm_zps4skvgeuk.jpg

Abutilon pictum is too easy. All cuttings rooted for me in potting soil, no cover required. I think I used Rootone on these.
photo 2017 03 22 004.sm_zps87ac2f6r.jpg
Here's Salvia x Raspberry Delight and Cuphea David Verity. The DV also hasn't done well with Clonex in Vermiculite. Back to rooting in water for that.
photo 2017 03 22 006.sm_zpsiuaiz7pf.jpg
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Ward
(Login WardDas)

March 23 2017, 4:03 AM 

Thanks for posting the photos and talking about your experiences. Blooming Abutilon!

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 23 2017, 8:27 PM 

Started a couple Buddleia 'Orange Sceptre' today. I'm not sure if I ever tried it before or not but found a 2-pack of that gel root in cups & am trying that:
Photobucket
Anyone else ever try cuttings this way?

Going to clean up my overwinters & pot some stuff up tomorrow since it will be in the 70's. Might get that walk-in greenhouse up. Sure wish I knew if snow was done. I assume any accumulating should be but you never know.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)

March 29 2017, 10:37 AM 

All the mature cuttings were put outside March 25th. They seem to be appreciating the change. Generally the weather since then has been warm and often cloudy perfect for hardening off the plants. The forecast says they will likely need to go back to the porch for a day or two but they will go back in as much stronger plants. They could use to be potted up a size or two and maybe that will happen. Safe planting date around here is roughly 30 days away and maybe 40 days for the extremely cautious gardener.

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

Potted up

April 15 2017, 2:52 PM 

I potted up my two best cuttings, with stakes and squirrel protection, and placed in the shade outside. Cuphea x David Verity and Salvia x Raspberry Delight.
photo 2017 04 15 007.sm_zpsbcbvgxjs.jpg

Here's a better look at the squirrel barrier, plastic gutter guard.
photo 2017 04 15 014.sm_zpsqvm6fmmc.jpg
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 11:17 PM 

My Ruellia elegans 'Ragin Cagun' cuttings are doing nicely. Very slow but see they are leafing out a bit more:
[linked image]

The 'Orange Sceptre' Buddleia that were in those gel cups haven't done a thing. Don't see roots but saw some tiny dark specs near the stem of one of them. They appear to be starting to suffer so I will pull them out of the gel & into pot mix & see what happens.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics