<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Palmyra Cove planting day April 29

February 22 2017 at 9:40 AM
Ward Dasey  (Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

I thought I might post this early just in case anyone might come out of the woodwork. Planting day will be Saturday April 29th with a rain date of April 30th. A local teacher may be bring her science kids to help out and I need to follow up on that.

For those who have come in the past it will be mostly the usual plants: 250 Tropical Milkweed and various propagated salvias. We'll also be adding 20 Lavender Grosso, 27 Catmints and whatever else I can whip up. It will be a day's work.

If the weather continues mild the garden may actually be blooming this year. That would be nice.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Palmyra Cove planting day April 29

February 23 2017, 1:26 PM 

Ward,

Best of luck with everything. Wish we lived close enough to come and help.

We got inspired at our big Garden Expo event to try and do more for butterflies this year (without cutting back on hummingbird plants and feeders of course). Luckily, there is a Swamp Milkweed (I feel like we have enough nectar plants for them, but no plants for breeding except for one Butterfly Weed), as our soil is very heavy and moist. It seems like an easy thing to do to add this plant. We look forward to seeing what will happen. We always have a lot of butterflies later in the season, but nothing earlier.

Ward, it's always fun to see this post and think about getting back out in the garden again, despite the many hours of very hard work. In this case, it is for such a wonderful cause!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

February 24 2017, 2:40 PM 

I will get out there to see your work one day but probably won't be in spring. This is around my major planting time for my area & if I neglect, well...I mentioned what happened last year. Aunt still nagging me to visit her in D.C. but she is now on way to AZ. She used to leave earlier & come back earlier but she's getting later & later with both so more likely during fall.

Plus, I remember you & your other local helpers eating the fruits of your labors & I want in on that.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Feb 24, 2017 2:41 PM

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 22 2017, 8:13 PM 

Wow, times have changed! Guess no big planting party this year? I sure miss everyone I have seen in my years of helping, the long timers and the ones that helped for just one!

Ward, since there is no party this year I am going to skip helping... just kidding of course!!!

The Friday before planting day, or the Monday after would be fine with me. Let me know what works best. What weekend day are we going to make some noise with the hedge trimmers and generator?

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Ward
(Login WardDas)

March 23 2017, 7:56 AM 

That is right, no more free wine and food, just back-breaking labor and sweat of the brow.

How does that Friday sound. I would love to be done by Friday afternoon so attention could be turned to the home front. Thanks again for being so loyal.

I asked to park to put out a flyer about Saturday's planting day. While I don't have high hopes it will bring in additional labor you never know. I have always believed there are people out there who could love to become involved in the nectar garden project but how to find them?

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 4 2017, 11:29 AM 

Are the plants greening up at the park Ward? At my house there were more leaves back in February. sad.gif
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 4 2017, 2:18 PM 

I took a quick walk this morning and like your plants there are less leaves than there were back in February. A couple of plants have no leaves at all. Still, many of the taller microphylla types and hybrid still retain some leaves up to close to 3 feet. This happens when we don't get persistent deep cold. This year won't feature a super early bloom but it wouldn't surprise me if bloom began by early May. At least survival is high. It is likely that none of the 100 or so plants actually died. The downside to that is there is no room to try newer types.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 4 2017, 5:12 PM 

Want to wait another week before we trim them to see how high they leaf out? Makes no difference to me
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 5 2017, 4:55 AM 

What date had we picked? At this point I think waiting won't make a difference. I am flexible so whatever works for you will work for me.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 5 2017, 8:50 AM 

April 15th.
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 5 2017, 9:31 AM 

Lets stick with that unless it turns out not to work for you. There is nothing to be gained plant-wise by waiting longer and between the home place and the park the *** really starts to hit the fan toward May.

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 8 2017, 12:59 AM 

So, when is the actual Palmyra Planting Day now? April 15 or 29?
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 8 2017, 3:55 AM 

Good question. The day is the 29th but Ken said he can come Friday the 28th so that may be the day a lot of the planting gets done. At least that is the way we left it last time we spoke. I could certainly use the help if you are thinking of coming. I asking the park to put out notice of volunteers needed but I am not optimistic on that front. Boy do I miss the old crew from a decade ago. It was a lucky time for the gardens and we had a lot of fun together.

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 8 2017, 8:14 AM 

Let me know the final date(s). I might also prefer the 28th or else I might show up late morning or noonish on the 29th.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 8 2017, 7:23 PM 

Either day will work. I will let you know. I did up someone while working over there this morning. Someone who teaches in the children's' program there. A hurricane of a woman who has a commitment to the nature side of the park.

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 16 2017, 7:49 PM 

Ken came to work on Saturday and gave me a run for my money. Generally I don't think it is a good idea to volunteers to death. They might smartin up and not come back. The question is who worked who to death? The idea was to get the salvia and Mountain Mint cut back. A worthy day's work at about 600 linear feet. We could do something else if you want? Ok Ken there is a few hundred feet that still need hoeing. When that was done Ken edged a long section after I kind of mentioned as an afterthought how nice it would be the have a straight edge. We started at nine and ended at half past five. I need to go to work tomorrow to rest up. Kidding aside Ken's work saved me at least one full day of labor aside from working in good company.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 17 2017, 7:26 PM 

It was a good day, as usual there at the park. I had fun. Hopefully the extra hours will save you a day of work there! You do way too much there each week!

Hopefully you were able to get your shopping done. I should have gotten the hint. happy.gif

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

Ward
(Login WardDas)

April 17 2017, 8:54 PM 

Just joking. At least a full day of labor, mine not yours, saved. That is no small thing.

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 19 2017, 7:55 AM 

It is a race to see which greggii/microphylla will bloom first but it looks like a greggii will win. After so long of a winter you almost believe it won't ever happen. It is hard to lose the January mind. But here we are again and there should be food for arriving hummers.

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

April 21 2017, 10:59 AM 

Looking forward to seeing how it grew these last two weeks.

Did the crew at the park move the piles?

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics