<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Ready to Migrate? He will decide!

February 27 2017 at 1:27 PM

Joe M.  (Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

Here is a photo of a bird that has been around for several months this winter and still molting. I think he will depart whether his gorget molt is complete or not! I'm sort of interested since many believe hummers complete their molt before they head north, so I will try to get photos at least weekly until he leaves. He only uses my north side feeder so its an easy set-up and should be easy to follow the progress of his gorget molt.

MRT_JJM6014 Cropped_02-27-17_102918
free picture upload

Mar. 8th Photo
2nd yr MRT
gifs upload

Joe M.
Sturbridge, MA

This message has been edited by flhummer on Mar 8, 2017 4:18 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Ready to Migrate? He will decide!

February 28 2017, 8:01 PM 

Nice shot!
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

February 28 2017, 9:01 PM 

He's cute.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

February 28 2017, 9:21 PM 

Wow, beautiful shot Joe. Love the feather detail!!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

March 2 2017, 6:36 AM 

Joe, in my meager experience, Ruby-throateds often depart when they complete their primary [wing feathers] molt. However, it is often difficult to determine actual departure date because these birds seem to wander around before returning to their original site for a day or two and then taking off for parts unknown. That said, completion of the gorget and forecrown usually coincide with the completion of the wings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

March 2 2017, 9:12 AM 

Nice shot Joe. Still a few more months for us.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

March 2 2017, 11:54 AM 

Nan, this reminds of something. Aren't Ruby-throated like a lot of neotropical migrants? The first to arrive are the males which are followed over the next couple of weeks by the females. We see this with easily sexed birds like warblers up here. I was reading some studies recently about some radio tagged neotropical migrants that showed that after hatch year birds making their first trip north tending to remain a lot longer at stopovers than truly mature birds. I thought it was interesting and something we would never know without the radio tags.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

March 2 2017, 11:57 AM 

Nice work Joe-- I dont know how all the molting coinsides with migration movement I just know that when I see them they appear to be in full rich color in gorget and feather.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

March 3 2017, 5:29 PM 

Here is another that showed up today and I don't think its the same one I posted the other day.
Gorget molt progression is quite different compared to the bird using the North side feeder!

He also is a very wary bird and flees at the first slap of the shutter unlike the other bird that is quite tolerant of the noise.
As Nancy commented, overwintering hummers do a fair amount of wandering about prior to their northern migration. I believe this little guy just wandered around and found my yard. The adult gorgeous male that was using this feeder until a few days ago has probably departed, since this one has not been challenged at the feeder all day (except for the shutter slap)!

2nd YMRT_JJM6079 cropped_03-03-17_144541
20mb image hosting

Taken on the 8th of Mar.
2nd yr MRT
image hosting 15mb

Joe M.
Sturbridge, MA

This message has been edited by flhummer on Mar 9, 2017 11:12 AM

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

March 5 2017, 5:40 PM 

I took about 45 photos today of the hummer posted on the 27th but didn't catch one that showed his gorget in the same light or aspect.
So any changes over the last 6 days are impossible to discern, at least from my viewpoint. Will try a for more in the next few days or as long as he sticks around.

This thread continues under the following thread: "Over wintering, over ? update Mar. 2017"

Joe M.
Sturbridge, MA

This message has been edited by flhummer on Mar 19, 2017 3:06 PM

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics