<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New guy says hey

March 27 2017 at 6:09 PM

Tony C  (Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Just found this place recently. Seems awesome, especially the flower parts as I have been trying to plant pollinator friendly plants for the last few years. I am getting there and adding a little every year. Have been photographing hummers for about ten years now along with many other birds, but they are my favorite. Being in central Iowa I usually get my first one through by the last week of April, sometimes a little sooner, sometimes a little later. I actually found this place while trying to source Cuphea as NONE of our area greenhouses carries it. They act like they have never heard of it. Anyway I wanted to introduce myself, and does anyone know why I cannot get validated? The email never seems to come through to complete my registration and I have tried like six times.
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Click for Forecast for 50313 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rwingsfan on Mar 28, 2017 6:53 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Re: New guy says hey

March 27 2017, 6:54 PM 

Welcome, Tony,

Can't help with the photobucket problem. For which Cuphea are you searching? Sometimes, I find local garden centers to be absolutely clueless. I do a certain amount of online ordering.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

March 27 2017, 7:37 PM 

Welcome, Tony. I'm a novice at this stuff but our local Lowes usually has Cuphea vermillionaire in the Spring and throughout the summer. I had to order C. david verity online though. You can also find Batfaced cuphea at garden centers from time to time although I'm not sure if hummers find them appealing or not.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Tony C
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

New guy says hey

March 27 2017, 7:58 PM 

Yeah I should have previewed before posting. I don't see a way to edit my original post? This works better lol. I am looking for David Verity and vermillionare. I have ordered a few from online sources but darn it's not inexpensive. I have done well with Lantana and different budelia but really want to do the cuphea thing too.

[linked image]
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

This message has been edited by rwingsfan on Apr 1, 2017 11:09 AM

Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

March 27 2017, 8:48 PM 

Welcome Tony!

Nice shot!

Ken
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

This message has been edited by 5strings on Mar 27, 2017 10:55 PM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 27 2017, 10:47 PM 

Welcome Tony, fellow Iowan. I live in Cedar Rapids and have been gardening for hummers for nine years. I used to grow cuphea 'david verity' every year, but lost it a couple years ago. Fortunately, a couple local garden centers have been selling 'vermillionaire'.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Tony C
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

New guy says hey

March 28 2017, 10:01 AM 

What places in CR sold vermillionare? I am just north of Des Moines maybe I have just missed them.
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Tony C
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

New guy says hey

March 28 2017, 10:04 AM 

Oh btw how do you add a signature to your post? I tried the link in the FAQ but it's dead.
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Bob - Lexington, Ky. 6a
(Premier Login bob2aa)
Owner

March 28 2017, 10:06 AM 

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

March 28 2017, 1:06 PM 

Tony, Peck's in Cedar Rapids sells 'vermillionaire'. Forever Green in Coralville also had it the last couple years. Their plants were especially nice. They tend to change their hummer plant lineup each year, so there's no guarantee they'll have 'vermillionaire' again this spring. I certainly hope they do.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Mar 28, 2017 3:00 PM

Tony C
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

New guy says hey

March 28 2017, 2:15 PM 

Guess I'll have to call when the time nears. I am retired so a day trip east would be fine!
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Tony C
(Login rwingsfan)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

March 28 2017, 2:19 PM 

Wanted to add the weather too happy.gif
Tony Castelline
Rural Des Moines Iowa
5B

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

March 31 2017, 3:21 PM 

A belated welcome, Tony!! Nice to have another mid-westerner. My local nurseries have improved some over the years & I find many are responsive to suggestions. Growers would have already started for this years crop but ask your local places to carry some of the plants you are not finding. I was able to get our largest local grower to carry more than just Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue' by suggesting. He did carry 'Wendy's Wish' a few years ago but somehow doesn't now but now they have added 'Hot Lips', 'Lipstick', 'Purple Pastel' & the Heatwave line. I gave him quite a list this year but was a little too late since he replied back with only a couple of perennials that were on my list.

I found 'Vermillionaire' at quite a few places last year & even at an Ace Hardware in their little parking lot greenhouse. I also find some growers/garden centers, especially at busy times like near Mother's Day, have "more in the back" & can't keep some out to see so always ask. You might get lucky.

I have made the day trip to Cottage Gardens in Piasa, Il a few years after they stopped their mail-order. Not sure how much further it would be for you but if you're retired & want to take a smaller trip, it is well worth it. I come home with a car full every time I go there & will be going in mid April again. Nice places to eat along Rt66. Very nostalgic.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

March 31 2017, 10:05 PM 

You'll have fun on this site
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL
Click for weather forecast

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 5 2017, 7:33 PM 

am a little behind but would like to welcome you to the forum Tony!
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics