<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Aphids !

April 4 2017 at 7:52 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

You guessed it. My goldflame has a lot beautiful new foliage but I notice one set of leaves that was turned in and after opening the leaves up sure enough aphids were there. I wasted no time in getting out my spray bottle and blasted away. I will now keep a very close watch on that honeysuckle as the leaves are all close together. The coral honeysuckle leaves are far apart at this time.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Aphids !

April 5 2017, 4:52 AM 

Bummer! I suspect I'll have them too. The darned plants get too large to spray properly.

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 5 2017, 11:21 AM 

What do you guys use? Is insecticidal soap safe for hummers? I've never see them on a firebush before but one of my trees looked unusually dark and on close inspection it is totally infested. This is the tree that hurricane Hermine uprooted so I guess it was really stressed...too big to try to blast them off with water sad.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 5 2017, 11:28 AM 

Yes, it smothers the aphids and is not a poison. You'd need a gallon of it to do a tree and getting to the underside of the leaves might be difficult. These aphids would not be the same species that messes up our honeysuckle.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 5 2017, 12:39 PM 

Yes as Ward mentions the ideal sprays are safe soaps, horticultural, or even neem oil. I prefer the horticultural as I have that on hand. The idea is you spray those on aphids you see and it smothers them , thats how they die. Ants are the real culprit, they are like cowboys on a cattle drive as they herd the cattle, in this case they herd aphids onto the plants as they will get the sap created in return. If you have any suspicion of aphids such odd looking closed leaflets. Open those leaflets to see if you have a surprise, as that is where you will find them. If you see a leaf cluster that appears swollen, looking pregnant you know its full of aphids and I usually just pinch those off.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

This message has been edited by SteveWnindy on Apr 5, 2017 12:41 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 5 2017, 1:39 PM 

Too wet today to check. My 'Blanche Sandman' is severely overgrown & gnarly. Will it rebound well if I cut it back hard? I know I will sacrifice flowers but there are multiple others in the yard they can use.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 5 2017, 2:49 PM 

Joni

I have had to do that very thing before with goldflame, cutting back to where there are no flowers. Later in season seems most aphids are gone .
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 5 2017, 3:39 PM 

I'll have to check for aphids on my honeysuckle when we warm up this weekend. I used to try to spray them out with water, but it was a waste of time. Now, I just hope for the best and pinch off infested growth tips.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 5 2017, 4:11 PM 

It is a shame that this species of aphid's life cycle is timed perfectly to destroy the best flush of flowers the vine has and when the flowers are most needed, which is early when not much else in the garden is flowering.

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 5 2017, 8:18 PM 

Link to a relevant thread on this forumhttp://www.network54.com/Forum/439743/thread/1335032444

The aphid species Hyadaphis tataricae is often mentioned, but a Google image search shows aphids with a different appearance from mine. The ones which damage my honeysuckle flowers in spring are always blue-grey in color. Whatever they are, the key is getting after the aphids well before damage is seen.

Joni,
Cutting back now, at the beginning of the growing season, should do no harm. If you wish to trim to near ground level, I suggest leaving three or more growing buds / shoots on each of several stems. Or, the vines can be left as long as you like, but you may do well to bring the tops down to two or three feet below the top of a post or trellis, to allow room for this season's growth.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by D_Kleiser on Apr 5, 2017 8:37 PM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 23 2017, 12:43 AM 

My coral honeysuckle is now developing flower buds. Right on cue, today I found the first little cluster of aphids infesting one bud. That means in a couple weeks they'll be widespread. sad.gif
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 23 2017, 1:16 AM 

Oh, you poor people!! There has to be one advantage to living in the frozen tundra, the land where hummingbird plants don't like to grow----we've never seen a single aphid on our 8 honeysuckle vines! They are nowhere close to even blooming here. If we ever did get aphids, I might be tempted to take them out, despite how great of a hummingbird plant this is.

I am so sorry for all of you! Sadly, the only safe solution I found online was the use of a horticultural oil. Bummer!!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 23 2017, 10:11 AM 

I may have gotten to my goldflame early enough or maybe Im just lucky, but it appears I have a lot of flowers nearly in bloom without being attacked by aphids. Time will tell as I keep a close watch on it. BTW last year I decided to keep it as bush and have pruned it that way. I allows me to easier keep a watch on aphids on the vine.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 24 2017, 9:24 AM 

I've noticed that the aphid problem on my Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera semprevirens) seems to regulate itself, via natural controls, over time. While you want that nice perfect honeysuckle for the hummers first-thing in spring, the "option of doing nothing" seemed to work for me... I guess the aphids attracted predators, who put things back in control. I've had aphid problems in the past... this year, little or none... all by doing nothing.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 24 2017, 9:51 AM 

I am with you on the "do nothing" approach. If nothing else it is the safest approach from an environmental standpoint. So do you really think it is predation or is it just that these particular aphids don't have many breeding cycles per year and it is all done by late June?

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 24 2017, 10:10 AM 

From my observation, there is definitely an annual life cycle thing with aphids, where they explode in early spring and are much more under control later. But this year and last, I am not seeing the aphid problem so much even in early spring any more so that leads me to suspect that natural controls are consuming the over-wintering aphid (eggs?), the season before.

Coral Honeysuckle - a.k.a. Red Trumpet Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is a native plant so all the natural controls for it's pests should be present in the area... and if we fight the aphids too much with even safe insecticides, we may also be impacting the native predatory insects that control them.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on Apr 24, 2017 4:13 PM

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

April 24 2017, 10:26 AM 

That is another reason to stay hands off. It brings up a pet peeve of mine. The term "beneficial insect". It implies that only certain insects are beneficial and that others are what? It all depends who you ask I guess. Ask almost any species of breeding bird trying to feed a nest full of chicks what they think.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 24 2017, 10:27 AM 

I always let nature take its course on mine as well. 'Dropmore Scarlet' was cut way back & already has 3 new shoots coming out of the large stump. Hated to do it this soon but had to before it swallowed the corner of the house. 'Cedar Lane' is full of buds & probably will find many open today as we are to get in low 70's. Never noticed any on that vine but it is grown against the house just next to my deck off the kitchen & the last 2 years I've had many ants finding their way in to the cat food which is a few feet away from the sliding glass doors. Had to put the food bowl in another larger bowl of water creating a moat & it seems to be working. Never attributed the ants getting in to climbing the honeysuckle but I'll bet it is assisting. Haven't checked 'John Clayton', 'Blanche Sandman' or my 2 year old Dropmore cutting in ground yet but will as I make my way through the beds.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 26 2017, 7:33 PM 

'Dropmore Scarlet' cutting has a lot on a few buds & none on others. My 'Cedar Lane' has none whatsoever.

BUT SOMETHING I FOUND INTERESTING:

I just got a catalog (late for some reason) from Garden Trends which was formerly Harris Seeds. While skimming, I ended up on a page showing plastic mulches. I've heard of black & the newer red for veges, especially tomatoes, but they are showing a "metallic" silver plastic mulch & said "In field tests, metallic mulch was shown to reduce aphids on cucurbits, viral infection from aphids was decreased increasing yields. A tomato test showed reduction of silverleaf whitefly populations helping to reduce infectious tomato mottle virus. The silver color of this mulch seems to confuse certain insects, perhaps because light reflection disorients them. Recommended to be used on a trial basis."

That said, wonder if it would help on honeysuckle? It wouldn't be attractive but if most are having problems primarily in spring, it might help to have it down in the early stages. I wonder?

They also show blue mulch (which I never saw before) & says it heats soil more than black & in trials, increased yields of Summer Squash, Cucurbits & Melons by 20%. With this one, I wonder if I should try it over a patch of Canada Thistle.???

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 29 2017, 9:01 PM 

Bumping this up since I don't think those with aphids saw my added info??

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Direct Link ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics