<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Aphids !

April 29 2017, 9:10 PM 

Never tried any of those mulches, currently using straw as a mulch wondering if that would help. I do know I have lot of flowers going on my goldflame with no visible aphids bothering the vine. My major wheeler might be a different story.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 1 2017, 9:32 AM 

I am a serious skeptic with claims like this. And I would almost rather have aphids than ugly colored plastic mulch in the garden. The claim about red mulch has been around for many years. Maybe it is true but tomatoes are productive enough as it is.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 1 2017, 10:54 AM 

I always like to use the many pine needles in our yard as a natural mulch. After years of trying to get rid of another homeowner's horrible wood mulch and plastic sheeting, I always try and use a less aggressive mulch like pine needles, or in some cases, rock, which at least can be moved easily. I would not like the look of this plastic mulch that's being described. But then, we don't get aphids on honeysuckle---you do what you must to control them without endangering the birds.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 1 2017, 3:34 PM 

I don't use unnatural mulches either but sounds like it could be a temporary solution early on before it's warm enough to sit out an enjoy. Was just an observation. I wouldn't pay a lot of money & certainly not on any shipping. If I saw it out somewhere & was cheap enough, I would maybe try it for a bit since it is ugly. Never noticed the red mulch doing anything when used it years ago. Like Ward said, my tomatoes grow just fine without it. Same with landscape fabric for the most part. Stops some small weeds but the tough ones you want to smother grow right through it.

I have a lot of pine needles but I also have a lot of property & not enough to go around so they stay in the beds they are in. Also keeps the more acidic beds acidic without changing my more neutral beds.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on May 1, 2017 3:36 PM

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

May 1 2017, 4:20 PM 

Ron, Ken and I encountered buried fabric row cover when we were working at the park on Friday. It had been there for years and was buried anywhere from an inch to almost six inches below accumulated mulch turned to soil. We ripped and pulled out as much as we could.

Fabric row cover has value but only if it is use properly. Two things are important. The fabric must have a covering of mulch otherwise light will germinate the seeds in the soil and plants will push up the fabric. The fabric also needs to be flipped once a year so rotting mulch doesn't turn to a seedbed on top of the fabric. I use it in the veggie nectar garden and have for years. It has meant no longer having to spend hot sunny weekend day crawling around the interior of the garden pulling weeds. The summer work is mostly confined to the edges now. In a garden nearly 100 feet long and 20 feet wide it takes some time to set up in the spring. The hours of saved labor in summer seems like time well spent.

The photo here is from last year and yes row cover was used.
[urlhttps://postimg.org/image/q06y9pufl/][img]https://s24.postimg.org/g2vxgnmtx/home_garden_2016_tall_side.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://postimage.io/]free upload[/url][urlhttps://certificity.com]certificity.com[/url]

This message has been edited by WardDas on May 1, 2017 4:24 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 1 2017, 5:22 PM 

Ward,
Something happened. Your pix didn't show up this time.

Mulch is always on top but never flipped. I have to lightly rake/fluff mulch multiple times a year to keep weeds from growing in the mulch, especially near the bird feeders. That is possibly my mistake. I think you mentioned flipping in another thread not too long ago. I have fabric down in walks & areas that have no to minimal plants but always seemed like a big pain to try & get it around plants. I get a lot of planting done at once but add in places all throughout the summer so not sure how that would work for me. If I can get rid of the Canada Thistle, Sow Thistle & Nightshade, weeding wouldn't be such a chore. I actually kinda enjoy it.

As for the Aphids, I have more of a problem on Milkweed (especially Whorled & Tropical) than I do on the Honeysuckles. The one that had it the worse, has now been cut almost back to the ground so I'm good for now.

Joni
Elwood,IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 1 2017, 11:45 PM 

I dont and wont put down fabric but I will put down cardboard and then mulch on top of that. It has worked pretty well in my main flower garden , so far not seeing any weeds just the plants sprouting.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 2 2017, 7:44 PM 

Forgot to mention cardboard. Used it last & this year & it is helping in some areas. Our local cable company advertises free boxes from time to time. Might have to go pick up some more since I have curtailed my internet shopping quite a bit.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 2 2017, 10:50 PM 

Today was the first halfway decent weather in a week, so I checked my honeysuckle again. I found a few infested growth tips, but the vast majority are clean. The cold week stopped the buds from maturing, though, so it will still be a race between the blooms and aphids. I expect both will once again advance as we warm up.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 3 2017, 10:49 AM 

Same here-most of my blooms appear clear especially on my goldflame and the cold has slowed things down. Plus there are a few morning ahead this week yet that are showing possible frost conditions here. Need to get beyond mothers day to be clear of all this.

Many areas of central indy will get pounded again with rain thur/friday with predicted amounts as much as 4" in places.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

May 3 2017, 11:05 AM 

So far only the Magnifica has aphids and like Dan it is only on a few buds, but as Dan points out that will change very quickly. In another couple of weeks the spring bloom will be history. So far Alabama Crimson is clear and blooming nicely. This year I am heavily mulching and feeding the vines. The idea is if I can keep the soil moist and the plants well fed they just might have a better late bloom after aphid season has passed. It is an idea and time will tell?

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 3 2017, 6:07 PM 

I have two major wheelers growing in different locations and they are not looking well at all growing very slow , same as last season not flowering. About ready to give up on those.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 3 2017, 6:13 PM 

Steve,

We have just the opposite experience with Major Wheeler. It is one of our most vigorous perennials here in Wisconsin. Our first one was a tiny mail order plant that very quickly became a massive plant that bent a shepard's crook in half from its weight. At its peak in early June, it is covered with flowers. At this point, we have at least five Major Wheeler honeysuckles in the yard. I guess something has to be strong for us here.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 4 2017, 11:05 PM 

Went looking at a new place yesterday. Was very nice but didn't have anything different but a lonicera that I never heard of & forgot the name of it. Might have to go back. Should have wrote it down.

However, got to the very back where the tropicals were & there was a row of Hibiscus & all had a ton of aphids all over them. Their sign does say they don't use chemicals but they sure need to take care of that before they lose the whole section of that greenhouse. Never saw them so thick!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 13 2017, 4:14 PM 

My honeysuckle is developing its flower buds. I checked it this morning and found aphids on many bud clusters. There should be no shortage of deformed flowers again.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 13 2017, 6:18 PM 

Kathi

Glad to hear you have no aphids and your honeysuckle is doing great , perhaps if I didnt have the aphid problem mine would do better. But my goldflame is not doing bad has lots of flowers on it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)

May 13 2017, 7:25 PM 

Steve
my species honeysuckle had aphids so bad last year that I decided to cut it back. It took me three days as it had gotten so big and spread out. It is just now starting to leaf out. Hopefully my Major Wheeler will be in bloom soon to take up the slack. I also cut my Gold Flame back but I did that one in the fall and it is filling out well now. It will be in bloom before the species too.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 13 2017, 11:37 PM 

I have three 'Major Wheeler' that I got in the ground as soon as we moved to our new place a couple years ago. Last year they grew well and bloomed a little, and I was looking forward to seeing them take off this year. But so far this year after leafing out they have all looked unhealthy. I checked, but don't see any aphids, but something is troubling them. Oddly, the five Lonicera dioica I grew from seed are doing great and are just about ready to bloom. I'm giving the 'Major Wheeler' another week or two and if they don't perk up by then I'm going to replace them and try again.

Donald
Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Find more about Weather in Red Wing, MN

Ward
(Login WardDas)

May 14 2017, 5:03 AM 

I have noticed that Coral Honeysuckle has roots that are very near the surface. This year to the degree I can do it they are getting a straw mulch. It could be my plants are drying out too much during the hot summer. It also occurs that aphids are just a fact of life in my so that what is important is summer recovery leading to later flushes of bloom. I never cut back the vines because of aphids. I don't see the point of it.

I love Hummingbirds
(Login Pennytoo)

May 14 2017, 6:31 AM 

Cutting my vine back is two fold. The first and foremost is because it has gotten way too overgrown with lots of dead wood in the interior making it a harbor for pests and disease as it is growing up against my 6 ft privacy fence. This also keeps it from getting good circulation. By cutting it back and thinning out the dead and or diseased wood, I eliminate aphid colonies for a while.

My gold flame was always rather stringy looking like a plant with bulemia and last year it got powdery mildew real bad and lost nearly every leaf. By cutting it back last fall it has filled out very nicely this spring and is much prettier.

Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics