<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Aphids !

May 16 2017, 6:46 PM 

No aphids on my 'Cedar Lane'! Just wished it flowered longer. It's the reddest one I have & doesn't continue flowering as the other sempervirens I have. Will need to cut this back after flowering since it is propped up by multiple means & wants to tip over. Although far away from where I was weeding, I kept forgetting to glance to see if any Hummers around.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I moved 'John Clayton' year before last & it also fell over some but is flowering pretty well & didn't notice any aphids on it either.

Bought 'Major Wheeler' last year but over-wintered in garage as I didn't know where to put it at the time. I think I will be making some homemade PVC cloches & combine with rebar in the "legs". These wire supports from garden centers aren't cutting it & don't have a fence.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Jul 20, 2017 5:21 PM

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

May 16 2017, 7:55 PM 

One major wheeler has some foliage at the base and nothing up the trellis and another MW has foliage half way up the trellis but not a single flower and I can tell it has had aphids on it. I feel Im wasting my time with these two as neither flowered the last two years.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 18 2017, 7:06 PM 

My honeysuckle is covered in aphids. I'll have to cut off a bunch of infested blooms and growth tips. Bah!
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 2 2017, 10:32 PM 

Has anyone noticed any difference in the number of aphids on their honeysuckles with varying amounts of sun exposure? My honeysuckle gets nearly all-day sun and aphids are a big problem. However, years ago I planted a few more honeysuckles by a nearby creek and I have not seen any aphids on them. They get much more shade than mine does. There is one growing up into a pine tree that only gets a bit of dappled sun through the tree. There are several bloom clusters about to open and each one is perfectly clean. That got me wondering if aphids might prefer more exposed plants.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 15 2017, 10:59 AM 

A couple days ago I discovered that my hanging basket cuphea llavea has aphids all over it. I've seen a few on this plant before, but not like this.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

June 15 2017, 11:37 AM 

Over the years I have had problems with whitefly, spider mites etc on Cuphea while they were being wintered over indoors, but not after any of them had been outdoors for a while. Did you winter this one over or was it from a nursery?

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 15 2017, 12:02 PM 

Guess I forgot to reply to you, Dan. I have 'Dropmore Scarlet' in both full sun & semi-shade & both have them.

I didn't have 1 white-fly this year on any overwinters. A few gnats & a couple of ants & that was it. Had a problem with scale a couple of times on Justicias & a couple of other plants before & haven't had that for a few years now. Those plants that had scale, I just rubbed them with a towel with some rubbing alcohol on it & took care of it.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 15 2017, 12:39 PM 

Thanks, Joni.

Ward, I bought my "batface" cuphea from a local garden center.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 15 2017, 4:52 PM 

Guess Im not a good one to answer as I get mostly sun here but the aphids havent been as thick this year as in past years but I have had them on all my honeysuckles.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward
(Login WardDas)

June 20 2017, 5:10 AM 

Aphid season at least Honeysuckle aphid season is coming to an end. Most of the new shoots are clear now and there are even a few clean flower clusters. In order to cover up the mess Clematis are being added to the bases of the posts honeysuckle is being grown on. The kinds that bloom summer into fall that can be cut to the ground each fall. The idea is that as they grow in spring they will cover up the mess and in the case of the texensis hybrid Duchess of Albany might feed the hummingbirds. Perhaps the idea will work, that one won't smother that other? Time will tell.

This message has been edited by WardDas on Jun 20, 2017 7:59 AM

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

June 30 2017, 4:06 PM 

Aphids are mostly gone from my honeysuckle. I cut off much of the bad/infested growth one month ago, and now it is throwing out a good amount of healthy growth with many flower buds. It should look nice in a couple weeks.

There are still some aphids remaining on my cuphea llavea, but much less than earlier in June. Fortunately, aphids don't seem to harm this plant like they do honeysuckle. My plant looks fine and its growth is accelerating.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

June 30 2017, 4:20 PM 

Not much of an aphid issue currently, but an ongoing issue with beetles bothering my goldflame and roses, even spotted one on my penta earlier today.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

July 1 2017, 6:17 PM 

I have to be constantly vigilant for aphids. Just sprayed some little Hyacinth Bean plants which are just showing aphids. They're just beyond the seedling stage. I have to spray seedlings so nocturnal bugs don't eat them anyway. My L. sempervirens have been mostly healthy since I treated them with Bonide systemic granules VERY early. Just as the buds were breaking. My next door neighbors' vine which is a cutting from mine was not treated and the entire first bloom was lost.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Ward
(Login WardDas)

July 4 2017, 7:48 AM 

Just a few weeks ago the three honeysuckle on eight foot posts received a trim. All this year's growth was trimmed back to two sets of leaves removing the aphid damaged leaves and spent flower clusters. Since then new growth formed at the axils and now the new growth has flower buds that should open about the time the next and bigger crop of fledglings makes the scene. It looks to be a nice show. From here on unless hard experience tell me otherwise this how I will handle these honeysuckle. Perhaps even another trim when this flush next flush ends? A good fall show would be nice.

Cathy P (Downers Grove, IL Zone 5b)
(Login Bazuhi)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

July 5 2017, 4:30 PM 

I have 6 honeysuckle
New this year is the Dropmore Scarlet that replaced my
Blanch samdman that died over the winter and 2 Major Wheelers
Last years vines
Goldflame.... is just now taking off, I didn't know it
dies down to the ground over the winter in my area
Coral.. only 1 of 3 made it thru the winter and taking it's
time getting going
Alabama.. 1 of 2 survived and slowly taking off
I have seen no aphids luckily.......yet
Cathy P
A Hummingbird Fan in Downers Grove, Illinois
Zone 5a
bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
See My Hummingbird Gardens and Plants
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

Find more about Weather in Downers Grove, IL

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

July 7 2017, 7:33 PM 

I haven't seen any lately, even on Tropical Milkweed (knock on wood). I wouldn't hesitate cutting back any Honeysuckle in the future since I hacked back my 'Dropmore Scarlet' & it has rebounded very nicely & putting out quite a few blooms.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

July 19 2017, 5:50 PM 

This past week I've really noticed the core of my cuphea llavea (hanging basket) is pretty dull, crisp/brown, and ugly. The aphids are gone, and several stems have been growing and looking healthy at the tips(only at the tips), with blooms, but in general the plant is not good. It should be more dense and look more green/lush. Perhaps the earlier aphid infestation took more of a toll than I thought. Since hummers aren't using it, yet, and it's still July, I decided to give it a big cut-back. I can see there is some tiny fresh growth at the base of the wood, so I expect the plant will explode with fresh growth and be ready for the hummers in a few weeks.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

This message has been edited by hawkeye_wx on Jul 19, 2017 5:51 PM

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

July 19 2017, 7:23 PM 

I hope your cuphea comes roaring back in a few weeks . I have on occasion cupheas back when needed regardless of time of year but for me its been because of beetles. I have had some bouts with aphids this season but not too bad. Good luck with yours.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)

July 20 2017, 8:17 AM 

the pruning of the damaged side-shoots back to two sets of leaves in June is yielding dividends now. The plants that were pruned so are having a fine secondary bloom. Once this bloom is over the vines will be trimmed back again in hopes of another bloom this fall. Hopefully another side effect maintenance will be vines that sit pretty tight on their posts instead of sprawling out in all directions.

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

September 15 2017, 9:48 PM 

The cool August through early September brought the aphids back to my honeysuckle... the worst late-season infestation I've seen. I had to cut off a bunch of growth tips again.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics