<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Addicted

April 11 2017 at 10:09 AM
Tom  (Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I don’t need any more hummingbird plants.

At most I will have three or four hummingbirds visiting my property—and that’s in late July and August when the last of the fledglings are still with their mothers. Right now, I have two, a male and a female. Maybe there’s two females; it’s difficult to know since none of them are visiting the feeders.

I have hundreds, maybe over a thousand different blooms on many different type of plants. I have way more flowers than the hummers could ever use.

And still I buy more.

Yesterday I was at Home Depot purchasing some sprinklers to expand one of my “systems” that water a number of plants. I came across a standard Ugly Shrimp plant (Justicia brandegeeana) that was in full bloom. It was $22.

I bought it about three minutes later.

This wasn’t the first hummer plant I’ve purchased this spring.

I keep telling myself that I don’t need any more.

Still, I keep buying more.

I’m an addict.

How many steps are there in the program?
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Addicted

April 11 2017, 10:28 AM 

Too funny Tom, I know the feeling well. I started off with lots of exotics that were supposed to do well here but did poorly or never bloomed at all. Now I'm back to the basics but it sure is hard to resist impulse purchases, especially plants that draw them in happy.gifsad.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 11 2017, 1:33 PM 

Tom,
You are not alone. Last week I visited the Colonial Creek Farm site to buy one Agastache. Then, using the "well, as long as I'm paying shipping anyway" logic, I ordered three Salvias I don't need or have space for. In the camera hobby this kind of behavior with lenses is called "LBA", lens buying addiction. I guess our version is "PBA". Brett (KY)

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 11 2017, 2:21 PM 

That is me as well, Tom. My wife who just isn't into hummingbirds and the plants they like will look at me, smile and say, "another plant"? I look for good plants everywhere I can.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

April 11 2017, 3:43 PM 

Lots of steps for the addict Tom, but the best "first step" is to avoid stepping into their Garden Centers as you enter the store.
I think it's my age but I have found on a couple of occasions that after spending time in the garden center and making a few selections that when I got home I had forgotten to bring home what I went to Home Depot for!
Now I "step" into the main entrance first and have a list with me and if I happen to drift over to the garden section, so be it.

Curing the addiction is real tough and not for "sissies".

Good luck.
Joe M.
Sturbridge, MA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 11 2017, 10:35 PM 

I guess its a good think Im not near a really great nursery that has all those great hummer plant varieties. But just last weekend I did stop at my one favorite nursery, picked up a couple of mesa scarlet , 2 bb guaraniticas and a hot lips, plus a lobelia cardinalis as mine have seen their days.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 12 2017, 1:01 AM 

[linked image] I definitely think I am in the same boat as everyone else. I think my dreams about how our garden will look often don't match reality or my budget! One plant easily turns into ten! We have a few fairly good nurseries nearby in terms of hummingbird plants, but extensive online shopping is right at my fingertips and I don't even have to leave the house! [linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathirock on Apr 12, 2017 1:01 AM

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 12 2017, 9:11 AM 

That last line really hit home, Kathy. I have two or three or more packages arriving at my house every week.

It's just so easy.

And often one saves some money. I buy my pool filter cartridges online and save over a hundred dollars. I bought the cell for my chlorine converter and saved $150.

Got ink for my printer for about one-tenth of the cost of Cannon ink.

Most I get from Amazon--free shipping.

Yesterday I went to my favorite produce store to buy tomatoes and avocados. They had a beautiful coral honeysuckle growing up a small wood trellis.

And,as they say, the rest is history.

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

April 12 2017, 10:20 AM 

I don't think there is a cure for this disease/addiction...LOL. I have the same problem and issue as all mentioned above. I keep removing lawn and putting in new beds. The backyard is off limits (at least for now [linked image]--wifes orders--). So I am buying more pots and more hooks to hang hanging baskets and more whiskey barrels...these darn hummers sure have it lucky at my house...I have about 30 or so plants set to arrive from FBTS in about two weeks, I am going to be busy planting real soon.

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Addicted

April 12 2017, 1:41 PM 

Tom,

Sounds as if you're in good company. I could think of much worse things to be addicted to lol And, you have one of the most beautiful yards and gardens that I have ever seen. I can't think of any other addiction that makes one's world more beautiful.

I am also a plantaholic. It became very obvious when moving from an almost 2 acre yard in north central Florida to a 1/4 acre lot in SW Florida a little over a month ago.

Joe was kind enough to let me put in a 40' x 20' butterfly/hummingbird garden. There are two really great local nurseries close by that know me by name now happy.gif I told myself that I would leave plenty of room between the plants for them to mature. Well, I have spent way too much already for plants, dirt and mulch (addicts won't tell you how expensive their habit really is). The garden is already starting to look cramped. I'm thinking that next year I'm going to be begging for another little piece of land to put all the divisions and cuttings from this garden happy.gif

Good thing I don't have any other expensive addictions lol

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Apr 12, 2017 2:27 PM

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 13 2017, 2:11 PM 

Good thing I don't have any other expensive addictions lol

Rhonda
Williston, Florida 9a

Hey Rhonda, you're not in Williston any more wink.gif I want to see what you've done when I visit my friends in Engelwood.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Addicted

April 13 2017, 2:54 PM 

St. Pete Tom,

You are correct...I'm not in Williston anymore. But, I can't seem to find where I change my location from Williston to Englewood on here LOL How do I change it please? Thanks!

Rhonda

Englewood, Florida 10a

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 14 2017, 10:55 AM 

...can't seem to find where I change my location....

Logon -> My Account -> Profile -> Statement
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Addicted

April 14 2017, 6:10 PM 

Thanks Tom! Hopefully it worked...we'll see after I post happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Apr 14, 2017 6:11 PM

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Addicted

April 14 2017, 6:12 PM 

Well, that didn't work lol
Englewood, Florida 10a

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

April 15 2017, 10:13 AM 

Rhonda,
To make the change you must also be posting a msg.

Follow the instructions in Bob's how to add a signature post, second post down on the main page!

Joe M.
Sturbridge, MA

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Addicted

April 15 2017, 3:46 PM 

Tom and Joe,

Thanks for your advice on the signature change.

St. Pete Tom,

My garden isn't really much to look at yet...especially with the heat and no rain. I'll try to post some pics tonight.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Apr 15, 2017 3:48 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 11:08 PM 

I've cut back the last few years but not by much. Placed my first mail-orders today with Kartuz, Select Seeds & maybe a couple of Pentas from White Flower Farm. The rest will be from 5 local garden centers & possibly will make the 4.5 hour trek to Cottage Garden again in a couple of weeks. That will be plenty as I had good luck with most of my overwinters in basement & garage.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 20 2017, 2:21 AM 

This Instagram post might be amusing to those of you who responded to this thread:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTEaoJ2jZsK/

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 20 2017, 8:58 AM 

Although I don't look like the girl in the picture, I sure act like her.

Thanks for the link, Kathi. It gave me a laugh.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics