<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sun-Bleached Leaves

April 14 2017 at 8:06 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Ive noticed this on plants that have been inside all winter and then went out in full sun. Especially the tomato plant[cherry] which has tomatoes on it and a cuphea schumannii with lots of bleached leaves , guess I should of left them in the shade instead of full sun right away.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Sun-Bleached Leaves

April 15 2017, 1:34 AM 

Steve,

Could this actually be from a lack of sun given that the plant is inside all winter with minimal light? Without full sun, many plants cannot make chlorophyll, the substance that makes their leaves green. I would certainly expose these plants to sunlight very slowly and I bet they will green up again in no time!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

April 15 2017, 7:47 AM 

I did the same thing.....sigh.....Springitis I guess. Do I trim it way back?
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 15 2017, 8:41 AM 

If there is any green on the leaf it is helping the plant grow it's root system. For young plants I would leave them alone unless you really don't like how they look.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

D_Kleiser
(Login D_Kleiser)
Hummingbird lover 2011

April 15 2017, 9:54 AM 

I zapped a couple of my Cupheas and some Coleus that way. They were put out on cloudy, misty days and were doing fine. Then I went to work and the sun came out. happy.gif Direct sun and wind are terrible for wintered over plants.
Far west Chicago 'Burbs, Zone 5a
Click for Forecast for 60139 from weatherUSA

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 15 2017, 10:29 AM 

I've certainly done that before.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 15 2017, 10:59 AM 

Probably is sunscald, I deal with that a lot down here in Florida. I cover the new plants with laundry baskets for a week or two, until we have an overcast day. This also protects them from too much wind/rain until they have a chance to get established. If the plant is too tall I use a tomato cage to elevate the laundry basket, and top them with a sprinkler head donut to keep the wind from blowing the baskets over.

P1060156
image upload
certificity.com
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

This message has been edited by TomnStPete on Apr 15, 2017 11:02 AM

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 16 2017, 10:54 AM 

All my indoor plants go in the shade for a few days, when they first come outside, to avoid sun scalding. Some plant's leaves also get scorched from "unfamiliar" cooler-than-used-to temps too. So mine come out on warms days and go back if the nights are especially cold - but only for a week or less. I grow lots of tropical plants so I have a lot of experience with sun and cold "scalding"...

For my hummingbird flowers coming out, if small enough, I put them in clear plastic bins and put the lids on, on the coldest nights... before planting in the ground a few days / weeks later.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 16 2017, 1:41 PM 

I dont normally run into this as most overwintered are in shade for a few days, but in this case with one tomato plant and one schumannii got full sun, big mistake as far as sunburn/ sunscald/ sunbleach/ sunwash/ sunblast/ sunflash/ or whatever else you wish to label it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 7:27 AM 

It's easy for me to forget how different things are up there, having lived down here most of my life. Everything in my microclimate gets burned without protection initially....
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

This message has been edited by TomnStPete on Apr 17, 2017 5:41 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 11:03 PM 

Everything that is over-wintered inside always suffers when first moved outside no matter how lush it looks when it's inside. For the majority, most existing leaves end up looking ugly & falling off but the new growth takes over & ends up a beautiful plant.

The AZ plants my Sister mailed me back in March have been in & out & the Bottlebrush started browning at the tips of the leaves but the flower buds broke & it is flowering. I'm sure it, my 'Blue Elf' Aloe & Baja Fairy Duster didn't like coming from 80-90 degrees into the 50-70's.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics