<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Things are recovering and popping up... fast!

April 16 2017 at 11:06 AM

Ron  (Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

The mild-ish winter has been very good for my in-ground Salvia greggii's and microphylla's... these "San Carlos Festival" Salvias, next to the house, have lots of live stems and don't need major trimming... but I will trim, both to encourage new growth and root more cuttings.
[linked image]

My left-in-ground Cannas are also sprouting up fast now, growing by the hour...
[linked image]

Took cuttings from my "David Verity cuphea in the sunroom - my potted host plant will come outside very soon, maybe today? (but will start out in full shade for a few days... and will come back in, if cold threatens)
[linked image]

Looking at the 10-day forecast, it LOOKS like we might be "out of woods" for another frost this spring... but you know, as SOON as I plant something frost-sensitive - or bring out a heavy citrus tree - we will somehow get an unpredicted late freeze! Always the way!
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Things are recovering and popping up... fast!

April 16 2017, 1:45 PM 

Ron--Looking for good-- As far as we are past last frost I hope--yep happens every time. I can remember snow flurries in early may.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 17 2017, 2:01 AM 

We live in a whole different zone and part of the country, but May freezes or even snow are not unheard of with one unusual year when it snowed in early June and ruined everyone's newly planted annual gardens (but this is rare!)

For us, it's really not safe to plant annuals outside until Memorial Day, but planting in pots where they can be easily taken in if necessary is ok.

One year I received a plant order of tender salvias early (late April) and most of them ended up dying because the soil was still too cold and wet. I learned my lesson and never ask for an online order any earlier than the second week of May and then I wait another week to plant outside.

We have 20+ big pots of plants in our house right now, but despite the warm temperatures recently, will wait at least a few weeks before taking them out. As you say Ron, some of these huge containers could break your back and it's better to move them just once.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 17 2017, 11:42 AM 

Not hummingbird related... but still nice to look at: I have this Camellia japonica "Kumasaka" blooming right now.
[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 17 2017, 12:12 PM 

I dont know for sure about recovering plants but I do have these that are waiting[not waiting] to go in the ground although Im hesitating not fully trusting mother nature.

photo IMG_1058 800x533_zpsg36gmcj1.jpg

photo IMG_1059 800x533_zpsunj10cva.jpg
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:22 AM 

3 days later, you can see the growth on my cannas... and you can also see the slugs are enjoying themselves too!
[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 19 2017, 11:34 AM 

I guess I should pull the leaf bags off the canna and see what happened. Various guaranitica are up and some of the bag protected Amistad are sending up shoots but others aren't. Not anything on the uncovered David Verity but sometimes it takes longer to sprout. It looks as if several 11 year old Agastache rupestris have bit the dust which surprised me, none have died in years.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 9:04 PM 

I've had some Agastaches die out from time to time. Walked the yard today & found some poking their heads up:

[linked image]

This was my 'Kudos Gold' over-wintered in unheated garage this winter:

[linked image]

Forgot to take pix of others in my weeded area.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics