<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Major Wheeler Honeysuckle

April 16 2017 at 5:06 PM
Brett (KY)  (Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Major Wheeler is ready for business. Now all we need is some Hummers. Brett (KY)
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Re: Major Wheeler Honeysuckle

April 16 2017, 8:29 PM 

Beautiful! Your invitation is out.

Larry-Southaven, MS USDA Zone 7B
(Login LarryForce)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Come one come all

April 16 2017, 10:49 PM 

Wow, That Major Wheeler Honeysuckle is fantastic. That should draw in the hummingbirds from far and wide. Thanks for posting.

Donald
(Login Ornithophilous)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 16 2017, 10:52 PM 

Brett--absolutely gorgeous, beautifully grown specimen. Love the way you have it trained. Is that just one plant? How many years old is it?

Donald
Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Find more about Weather in Red Wing, MN
Click for weather forecast

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 16 2017, 11:49 PM 

Wow, that's very impressive! That's the kind of honeysuckle display I've always wanted, but can't have due to aphids.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 17 2017, 12:00 AM 

Wow, thats how major wheeler is supposed to look but mine never does, congrats to you.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 17 2017, 1:37 AM 

Brett,

Your honeysuckle is amazingly beautiful and so impressive!!

So many colorful flowers!! If this isn't laying the welcome mat out, I don't know what is!!

We don't have aphids here in our yard on honeysuckle, but our cool summers and ever increasing shade prevent such a colorful display of honeysuckle in our yard.

Enjoy your hummingbird visitors, which I'm sure are on the way in the next day or two!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 7:23 AM 

Brett, that is stunning! I've often read not to overfeed honeysuckle. Do you feed it? If so, with what and how often?
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 11:37 AM 

Dang that's cool. I need to go out and start getting mine attached to the fence. Its the 2nd yr and its starting to bud already.
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 11:47 AM 

Thanks all for the comments.
Donald- It is one plant, five or six years old.
Tom M - I don't usually feed it but I did give it a dose of Urban Farms Flowers & Blooms in early March. That and a very mild winter might account for this display, the best it's had. Someone suggested the Urban Farms product on here last year. If you want some, the company web site prices are better than Amazon. Brett (KY)

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 5:40 PM 

...Someone suggested the Urban Farms product on here last year. If you want some, the company web site prices are better than Amazon. Brett (KY)

Thanks, I'll check them out.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Major Wheeler Honeysuckle

April 17 2017, 10:44 PM 

Brett,

WOW!!! That is one fantastic honeysuckle, how can a hummingbird resist? Thanks for the info on the plant food, I am going to purchase some. My poor honeysuckle (Major Wheeler) is just peeking through the soil now. Last year, it seemed to struggle not having many blooms at all.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 18 2017, 11:54 AM 

I wonder what the difference is , why some locations can grow awesome honeysuckle while others like me struggle .
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 18 2017, 12:11 PM 

With mine I have always suspected it was fairly poor soil and not enough water. This spring I mulched them with straw and fed them a bit. I have seen cases where gardens grew fantastic Coral honeysuckle for years and then ran into trouble. This brings up another possibility, that the aphid infestations of late spring are doing more than temporary damage. The foliage damage may be limiting the vigor of the vines. A friend of mine was late in getting the aphids but once she did her plants never looked the same. Whatever the problems Coral Honeysuckle is still a must grow for me. The flower buds on mine should open by hummer prime time around the first of May and so far so good on aphids.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 18 2017, 1:09 PM 

Similarly I put down time release fert and soil has plenty of organics in it . I watered it in well and put down straw as a mulch. to what effect this will have I dont know. But there could be a long reaching effect from aphids which I do get year in and year out.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

April 18 2017, 3:01 PM 

I don't think I've ever poured any fertilizer on my honeysuckle. I figured my clay soil would have enough nutrients. My vine is just beginning to develop its first buds. Perhaps I should try giving it some bloom booster to see if it helps any.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5

ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 18 2017, 3:19 PM 

Speaking of vines I added Clematis Duchess of Albany last week. It is a texensis hybrid. It was planted along with a Clematis Huldine and if nothing else they both should be pretty together.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:57 PM 

Brett....that is gorgeous! I bought 'Major Wheeler' last year but didn't make it in ground since I was changing some things. You gave me motive!

I get aphids on & off on both 'Dropmore Scarlet' & also the variety I bought years ago from QVC called 'Candy Cane' but nothing too terrible. I severely chopped 'Dropmore Scarlet' way back since it flopped & grew around it's wire support that I couldn't remove so I'm sad but hope it rebounds.

However, 'John Clayton' & 'Blanche Sandman' have remained unscathed.

Ward,
Those Clematis look very nice. I grew texensis 'Gravetye Beauty' at the street on my mailbox but I think the winter salt & neighborhood dog trampling finally did it in. A couple of years, I would find it wilting badly & found something either broke or chewed it off at ground level. It always rebounded for several years.

Joni
Elwood, Il
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open;; Copy the Hotlink for Websites by clicking on the blue clipboard symbol on the right edge of the code; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics