<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Online plant shopping

April 17 2017 at 11:21 AM
Burke  (Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

This has probably been discussed before. Where do you buy your plants online? I can't find Pentas lanceolata anywhere online. Thank you.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

This message has been edited by Bayoulife10 on Apr 17, 2017 12:25 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Online plant shopping

April 17 2017, 12:14 PM 

Burke,
If what you mean is "Pentas Lanceolata" you can get them from Pepper's Greenhouse, also known as Accents for Home and Garden. Brett

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 12:24 PM 

Thanks, Brett. Dang auto-correct.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 17 2017, 12:50 PM 

Almost Eden also has them:https://almostedenplants.com/shopping/products/615-ruby-red-pentas-egyptian-star-cluster/?bc=no

I think I ordered this variety from them last year and they grew to 5 feet high by end of summer (sadly NOT winter hardy here!)
[linked image]
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

This message has been edited by RonDEZone7a on Apr 17, 2017 12:51 PM

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Online plant shopping

April 17 2017, 2:41 PM 

Ron,

Those pentas are gorgeous!!! Just curious how tall the plants were when you received them. I picked up 3 pink and 3 red pentas lanceolatas a few weeks ago at of all places...Home Depot in Port Charlotte, Fl. They were just 18" when I bought them so I'm hoping that they were labeled correctly. I'm in 10a so they should be hardy here.

Thanks!
Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 5:32 PM 

Wow Ron, those look amazing!

Burke, Tom could probably send you some cuttings, he'll have them ready soon as I just received an email from him. happy.gif

Rhonda, you weren't able to take any pentas with you? I hope you're right about the stuff from HD, I've never seen them from them up here in St. Pete.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 17 2017, 10:41 PM 

No Tom. I wasn't able to dig up much and the pentas were in the front of the house border, so the bare spots would have been obvious. I did manage to bring one that Tom in Clermont had started from a cutting that I hadn't planted yet. I really hope the HD ones are lanceolatas, I've never seen them marked as such in any other HD I've been in. I still have several area nurseries to check as well happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 18 2017, 12:21 AM 

Rhonda,

I think the Pentas were like 12 inches long when I got them in the mail last year.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 18 2017, 8:00 AM 

I found Pentas actually marked "lanceolata" yesterday at a local nursery. We'll see just how big they get in the near future. They had red and white.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

tbyrnes
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 18 2017, 8:44 AM 

Burke, as noted above there are a number of places where you can buy the large red Penta Lanceolata online. However, if you want to get others, including large hot pink and soft pink ones the only place I found online is Kartuz Greenhouses in California.

Three that I really like are Nova, Orchid Star, and Southern Star. They all grow large and are terrific for butterflies and good for hummingbirds.

For me the Orchid Star and the Southern Star have been easy to take cuttings from. Nova has been more difficult; it tends to throw out less branches, but the flowers are huge and the plant is very hardy and tall.

Generally, pentas are easy to take cuttings from, so you only need one or two to start with.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 18 2017, 10:14 AM 

Thanks tbyrnes. Other online plant sites are either out of stock or don't carry the Nova, Southern star or Orchid star. I'll definitely take cuttings at some point in time.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 18 2017, 6:20 PM 

Just ordered a Nova, Orchid Star and Southern Star from Kartuz. Thanks again for the web site tbyrnes.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 19 2017, 9:22 PM 

You are welcome, Burke. I think they will do well for you.

Sometimes I put in the name tbyrnes to avoid confusion with Tom M. who is from the Sarasota area.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:36 PM 

Burke,
Sounds like 2 questions or are you just looking for Pentas? Our big-box stores rarely have any of the good stuff you folks down south get. I can only get the short Pentas cultivars here which are still pretty & get used some by both Hummers & Butterflies but they aren't the biggest attractors.

I just ordered 'Nova', 'Crimson Star', 'Silver Star' & 'Stars & Stripes' (I've had this before & looks great but my local place doesn't carry it anymore) from Kartuz. I'm a sucker sometimes for variegated plants. It didn't grow that tall but read somewhere that it has species parentage.

Burke,
White Flower Farm also shows 'Ruby Glow' & 'Northern Lights Lavender' available:
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/index.php?page=seek&id%5Bm%5D=pattern&id%5Bq%5D=pentas

I'm tempted for those as well.

If you also wanted to know where on-line for Hummer plants in general, well:

Select Seeds
Peppers Greenhouse (Aka Accents For Home & Garden)
High Country Gardens
Goodwin Creek Gardens
Bluestone Perennials
Kartuz (1st time)
Forest Farm (not recently but in the past)
Joy Creek Nursery (not recently but in the past)
Wayside Gardens (not recently but in the past)

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics