<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

No new record

April 17 2017 at 5:57 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

No early hummer and no new record unless one makes a last hour appearance. 4-18 is my standing early record which happened last year. I have had a feeder out for two weeks and even some purchased plants in bloom but no dice , they will come when they come.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken
(Login 5strings)
Hummingbirder 2010

Re: No new record

April 17 2017, 7:28 PM 

I don't keep records, but I know it is later than last years first sighting. The azalias are showing their buds. Should be any day now.
Central NJ
USDA Zone 6
:c)

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 18 2017, 1:49 AM 

Steve,

I feel your pain and frustration. We've had our feeders up for about a week now and several people in our small city have already seen a first hummingbird and one has been seen about 75 miles away in Milwaukee, but we only see Chickadees at our hummingbird feeders.

Nothing for hummingbirds except for Pulmonaria is blooming yet. I do have a mini red Azalea that I keep in a pot and bring inside that is blooming inside, but nothing from outside azaleas yet. We should have a great showing on our Dwarf Red Buckeye this season, but it's not blooming yet. Honeysuckle and Lilacs are nowhere close.

The earliest we have ever seen a hummingbird here in Madison has been April 29. I am assuming we could even be a month away from seeing our first one this year.

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 18 2017, 10:17 AM 

I haven't seen a hummer in over a week. I'm not sure what's going on this year. This time last year I was seeing many birds.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 18 2017, 11:51 AM 

No hummers but about a week ago I did have a robin land on the window extender which my feeder hangs on , strange to say the least. I have been taking pleasure from watching birds taking advantage of my birdbaths. House finches visit the small one daily while robins use the large one to clean up after digging in the dirt for worms. I should see a hummer sometime in the next week if not sooner.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Ben
(Login 07ben847)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

Also still waiting anxiously like all of you

April 18 2017, 10:29 PM 

Like all of you, I have two feeders out for over a week and no luck yet. My earliest sighting was around May 5th. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.
Kathi - Can you please post a pic of your Dwarf Red Buckeye in bloom. Thanks.
Ben
Beach Park, IL
Z5

This message has been edited by 07ben847 on Apr 18, 2017 10:35 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:40 PM 

I can still break mine yet (4/30). Had feeders out for over a week now. Patiently waiting. I usually have something red for them but local garden center hasn't had any good plants early like they did in the past. Only the usual Pansies, Senetti, etc. Might swing by another place on Fri. & see if they have any 'Mirage' Salvia ready yet.

Joni
Elwood, Il
Zone 5
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 19 2017, 10:52 PM 

Joni-- You just might have a record breaking year, good luck with that. For once I actually have some plants in bloom when the hummers arrive, but in the past when they arrive they just go to the feeders anyway at first.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open;; Copy the Hotlink for Websites by clicking on the blue clipboard symbol on the right edge of the code; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics