<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Garden discovery

April 18 2017 at 5:40 PM
Dan  (Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

Today I was shocked to see new growth emerging from the base and some stems of both of last year's salvia greggii 'pink preference'. This is the first time any non-hardy hummer plant has ever come back in my garden without protection. Pink preference(and all other greggii/microphylla) has struggled to return in the past even with protection, which is why I don't bother anymore. Now, I have an extra two plants(via cuttings last fall) to play with. Perhaps I'll put them behind the returners to create a larger patch.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Re: Garden discovery

April 18 2017, 7:42 PM 

Wow, zone 5! It will interesting to see if it out grows your cuttings.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 18 2017, 8:06 PM 

As you say yawner of a winter, congrats on the surprise.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:43 PM 

Dan's winter was probably similar to mine. Very little snow & no extreme cold for any length of time. I didn't see any growth on any of my "bush" Salvias but then I haven't cleaned that part up yet & there is a lot of weeds & leaves that could be hiding any new growth. The leaves always congregate around the stems at ground level which is a very good thing. I will know after this coming weekend.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 21 2017, 3:29 AM 

Dan,

Congratulations on this. What a nice, unexpected surprise.

We had a Salvia greggii 'Pink Preference' in the ground too that I didn't protect. I looked it but it sadly looks pretty dead. I think our winter was more extreme than yours!
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 21 2017, 9:10 AM 

What survives can be a real surprise sometimes. Over at the park it looks like one or two Amistad may have survived the winter. The leaves are just breaking out so it is very possible I could be mistaken. Amistad has never survived here when unprotected and when protected under leaf bags is iffy at best with usually only one year plants surviving.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 24 2017, 11:51 AM 

Weeded in the main "Hummer" part of my garden yesterday for 6 hours & didn't get as far as I would have liked; the ground is getting so hard already due to lack of rain & higher than normal temps this early.

However, my surprises so far were many Agastaches survived with how little snow cover we had this year. I didn't collect my tags last year but I have one near my rupestris & 2 year old seedlings that I think might be cana sinning 'Sonoran Sunset' that survived out in the open. This one has more curved leaves with a rosy undertone beneath instead of the pointed leaves like rupestris. If not, hopefully I will know once it starts blooming.

Appears my 'Apricot Sunrise' did not make it. See no green as I do on the others.

Acapulco Rose is slower but showing growth at the base.

Salvia 'Heatwave Blaze' did not make it but didn't really expect it to.

Salvia guaranitica 'Black & Blue' didn't make it but same; didn't expect it to.

Will add more if I find any.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 24 2017, 12:18 PM 

Don't give up yet, marginal plants can be really slow to return. Just in the past week several rupestris that were presumed dead sent up shoots. Over at the park Black & Blue returned but there still may be shoots coming from other areas surrounding the returned section.

Around here the 10 day forecast includes no signs of a frost or freeze. Since the soil had warmed (an advantage of sandy soil) 48 feet of tomatoes went in yesterday, that is half. The cool rain should settle them in I hope. Most of the hummingbird plants are still in pots and cells. Not because they couldn't be planted but because there are only so many hours in the day. In the nectar garden area fabric row covers still need to be flipped and covered with the collected fall leaves that protected the tender perennials for the winter. Lots of work to do and lazy isn't an option. I keep asking myself how many more years can I do this? My neighbor and home gardening partner Burt took the words right out of my mouth yesterday: why did it take me so long to figure this out?

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 26 2017, 7:41 PM 

I'm not giving up, Ward. I always prune back the dead until I'm safe & ready to plant before digging out anything. That way I can be sure if it is dead or not.

My longest living Salvia, 'Maraschino' finally bit the dust (I think). Wood was cracked & twisted (as you mentioned in another thread, Ward) but I left it to see. I'll have to look back but that one is the only main plant that lived for several years in ground. Bought it from HCG back when I was a newbie on here so maybe 7 or 8 years or so? Think I bought Schropularia macrantha from them the same year & it died last year (just when it was finally going to get more sun due to my major tree removal).

Doesn't appear one of my Buddleias will live either & it is a newer one, either 'Miss Molly' or 'Miss Ruby'. I cut it back but left as is. 4 of the others I've reached so far while weeding are showing growth though.

Lots of my Milkweeds are sprouting. I will have quite a few this year that were planted last year. Didn't see any growth of tuberosa either & it was right by the Buddleia (not that it matters).

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Apr 27, 2017 11:46 PM

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 27 2017, 1:38 AM 

I always do the same as Jodi and have usually been highly disappointed in the end. We have rarely had any hummingbird-worthy salvias survive in our garden. Because of a dry winter (although it was milder than usual), we lost some perennials too---no Butterfly Bush is showing any sign of life yet (we have about 8 butterfly bushes, so this will be a lot to replace, but we need them for both hummingbirds and butterflies). Native Columbine only came back on one spot and usually it pops up everywhere. Lilium michiganese did not come back in any location. Several other "perennials" such as Verbena hastata and scuttellaria are also no shows so far.

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 27 2017, 11:44 PM 

Kathi,

The Buddleia that I've reached so far just barely are showing green at the base so I hope you still will see some life soon. Didn't see the green until I cut it back on some. I know we are in the same Zone but you seem to have trouble with some plants that I don't (not that it is only a Zone thing). If your nurseries don't have their "good" annuals out until mid May, appears to be about 2 weeks behind what I see here.

On a good note, the new ones I planted last spring are alive. I have found in the past that if they are planted mid summer to fall, I tend to lose them. They must need extra time to be established. I have been told in the past that many are mislabeled & are really more of a Zone 6 plant. On that note, I only had 1 bad year where I lost all but one. I now have 13 I believe & 1 that did over-winter in garage & is greening up that will be planted soon.

My 'White Profusion' is very old & hasn't done very well the past couple of years. It is being semi taken over by a Thuja 'Green Giant'. That was hands-down the best of the bunch as far as Hummer & Butterfly attraction. They all smell lovely!!

Now I will have to wait for more discoveries as 2-3" of rain is expected by Sun. I assume it will take a few days to dry out enough that I don't compact the beds too much.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Apr 27, 2017 11:53 PM

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 28 2017, 12:52 AM 

Jodi,

I will look at our Buddleias again tomorrow, but we are having a lot of cold weather right now going into next week, so it's not a great time for plants to come back. All of the Buddleias are cut down (we always leave them standing over the winter and cut in the spring.) It was a dry winter and we've lost quite a few other perennials (unless they come roaring back very late) too. If we loose all of these butterfly bushes, it would be the first time in almost 8 years that we've lost a butterfly bush here. Thank you for the encouragement and I'll keep you posted.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open;; Copy the Hotlink for Websites by clicking on the blue clipboard symbol on the right edge of the code; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics