<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Hummingbirds and Insecticides and maybe Fertilizers

April 19 2017 at 2:29 PM
Douglas  (Login DouglasE)
Hummingbird lover 2013

The Western Hummingbird Partnership just forwarded this info to me and I am doing the same.

http://www.westernhummingbird.org/index.php?page=hummingbirds-and-insecticides&utm_source=April+2017+&utm_campaign=April+Newsletter+2017&utm_medium=email

Please be cognizant about what chemicals you are using on your flowers. What goes into the soil may be present in the nectar.

This message has been edited by DouglasE on Apr 20, 2017 12:50 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Hummingbirds and Insecticides and maybe Fertilizers

April 22 2017, 5:59 PM 

I don't use any pesticides around my hummingbird plants - or in my lawn, for that matter. I let nature take it's course. I do fertilize a little and will read that document for advice on that.
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 22 2017, 9:05 PM 

I dont use any chemicals either . About 3 yrs ago I started changing to being as organic as I can using compost and worm castings. The only spray I use is neem oil for aphids and it is supposedly organic and I dont use it often usually just a jet spray of water, just depends.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 22 2017, 10:08 PM 

We don't use any insecticides in our yard at all, as these could pose dangers for hummingbirds and other wildlife.

However, we do use a "Bloom Booster" fertilizer because we struggle getting tender plants to bloom here with our cool summers and fertile soil (which encourages leaf growth, but not flower development.) We have been doing this for years and our hummingbirds have been fine.

Additionally, we feel that insecticide use kills all of the small, gnat-like insects that hummingbirds depend on for survival.

We certainly reinforce these concepts in our "Gardening for Hummingbirds" program as well.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

This message has been edited by kathirock on Apr 22, 2017 10:12 PM

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 23 2017, 8:06 AM 

Great minds think alike! I do a 1-hour workshop on "Attracting Hummingbirds", for master gardener volunteer requirements and I also recommend using no pesticides in a hummingbird/pollinator gardens. And I do mention using a shot of "Bloom Booster" type fertilizers, as an option for a late summer feeding (along with some pruning / dead-heading), to get a (Labor Day time frame) re-bloom in time for migration.

BTW, I got my first visitor to my hummingbird feeder... an American Goldfinch, coming to use the ant moat! But no hummer seen yet... (I think my earliest has been April 25)
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Farmer Steve
(Login avorancher)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 25 2017, 12:08 PM 

Don't assume that everything organic is safe.... nor that non-organic is always harmful. I don't know why we have been conditioned to think this way... perhaps marketing. "Organic" and "chemical" are different things... not opposite things.
Farmer Steve
Deluz, CA usda zone 10a (between LA and San Diego)
Fallbrook.gif

Burke
(Login Bayoulife10)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 25 2017, 12:56 PM 

I too use bloom boost for a lot of my flowers. This year I started using fish emulsion as well, especially for my veges.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
USDA zone 9A

[linked image]Click for Forecast for 32459 from weatherUSA.net

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

April 25 2017, 4:51 PM 

Every Hummingbird friendly gardener that uses insecticides or pesticides on flowering plants should be aware of the possible dangers to the hummers.
I don't allow any in my yard but I even have misgivings about the possible affects of soap sprays, which I use.

Lisa Tells studies may be of interest but I'm not sure what else her study has provided other than the "presence of insecticides".

It would be nice if the study provided some in depth range of values observed and if they fall in the range of values of concern.
I wouldn't make much of her study but wonder how she found "internal" evidence? Was an necropsy performed?

We have learned over the years that insecticides can be harmful to just about every living organism but Lisa Tells study does not show that it is harmful to hummingbirds. Before I get too upset and agitated I would suggest we get more information and refrain from using insecticides anywhere in the areas that our hummers frequent, especially their favorite flowers!
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Click for Forecast for 33813 from weatherUSA

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 25 2017, 6:47 PM 

Do we really know if any of these substances actually harm hummingbirds? There are probably other creatures for whom the risk is likely greater. We can't change the world but we can keep these thing in mind when it comes to us. The risks don't seem worth it. Our job as gardens is to decide what works where we are, get the garden planted and keep the weeds down. The rest is up to the plants. Bugs be damned.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics