<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Couldnt wait any longer

April 19 2017 at 6:25 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Recent plants I picked up about a week ago were starting to shrivel up badly so I had to plant them. I wanted to wait a little longer thinking we may get a freeze. Anyway hot lips, mesa scarlet, and black and blue had to be planted. There may be a late freeze but I will deal with it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

Re: Couldnt wait any longer

April 19 2017, 7:58 PM 

I'm with you!!! I have played the in and out game for 2 weeks now and I am sick of it....
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 8:03 PM 

Maybe a little nippy but I don't think it will freeze although can't even trust the weather anymore. Last weekend, they showed rain around 3-4 days this week. Barely got enough today to wet the already dry ground. I guess the early warmth & lack of snow kept the ground dry. The couple 2-3" days we had (& not too long ago) didn't help much. Slight chance into tomorrow morning & then nothing until next Thursday. Not sure how I will get any weeds out of the ground.

I placed 2 mail orders today. Very anxious to hit some greenhouses but I'm going to hold out a bit yet but might grab a couple of Mirage Salvias if they have them in since it's very close & might be that way Fri.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 19 2017, 9:41 PM 

Concerning rain I havent had enough in my yard to fill a thimble for quite a while would like to see some rain. They are predicting some for thurs and saturday maybe then.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 19 2017, 10:01 PM 

There's quite a line in Iowa now. Future cast shows it falling apart some but still shows us getting some. I sure hope it pours for a while. Otherwise, I'll need a pickaxe to get my weeds out.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 20 2017, 5:07 AM 

It has been a really dry spring here in NJ. The plants have been sitting outside for weeks now. They are all root bound and in constant danger of drying out and withering, a few have. Right now it is preparing the garden times. Getting the beds ready is a job measured in weeks of evenings and weekends. The house is a mess, the lawn uncut. Maybe by mid May it will all be done? One can hope. At least all the parts are in place. Twenty bales of hay arrived while I was at work. That means the fabric row cover can go down and then planting can begin.

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 20 2017, 1:17 PM 

I feel so fortunate. We are in the middle of our two-month dry spell here but all I really have to do is water for an hour every other day, and cover new plants with the laundry baskets for a few weeks.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 20 2017, 1:25 PM 

That is what was happening to my plants and why I had to get them in the ground and speaking of soil It has been and is quite dry here and we really need a good rain. We are supposed to get some today. My hot lips have about a dozen blooms showing that are currently red and white but with storm coming may lose all those. I moved my pots of mesa scarlet under cover of porch as dont want to lose those blooms for when the hummers arrive which could be any day now.

Robins are also hard tested to find worms as they must be trying to feed young ones in the nest. The soil is so dry that worms are deep. In watching their activity I havent been able to see them finding worms, but they must be finding some.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 20 2017, 3:12 PM 

Steve,
Hopefully you are getting more than we did here. Enough to wet the open ground but drive under my crabapples was still dry. That was more than we were supposed to get & now see they put in more for early next week. Looking at forecast last night showed no rain until Thurs. I wanted to move out more plants & pot up some of the seedlings still inside begging to stretch their feet but now the cold is going to move in. Pots that have been out are still ok since they have already been through some 40's but now might be some high 30's & I'm out in farm field so I have to wait again. That cold even getting the greenhouse up wouldn't help but its going up real soon. It also needs to pour.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 20 2017, 3:39 PM 

We have been getting more than enough rain in Madison this spring and last night's rain and thunderstorm delivered over 1/2 inch of rain. The ground has been extremely moist all spring. I believe we are above average in terms of rainfall at this point in the season.

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 20 2017, 5:42 PM 

Joni

At this time we are getting pretty good downpour and much needed along with a good deal of wind.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics