<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Stachytarpheta frantzii is the best

April 19 2017 at 9:35 PM
Tom  (Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

I've been able to spend more time in the garden lately and I've been able to observe the plants that hummers and butterflies like the best.

The overall winner is the large Purple Porterweed or Stachytarpheta frantzii. This afternoon I saw a male hummer visiting these flowers and completely ignoring a huge bunch of Cuphea Schumannii. I had seen him visiting the Schumannii before, but now he clearly prefers the S. frantzii. I have these flowers in other places on my property and the hummers love this plant. I think it is also the favorite in my yard for butterflies.

The butterflies still flock to the pentas, but they seem to prefer the porterweed. From the perspective of the pollinators there's a lot to like. On each stem there are maybe six or eight or so little flowers, so they don't have to move very far to get to another flower.

They are just starting to bloom here. They are cold sensitive and stop blooming well here sometime in November. They really like the heat and humidity.

If I lived up north, like many of you do, I would consider getting a few of these plants and putting them in pots for the summer months and then pruning and keeping them somewhere heated over the winter.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Stachytarpheta frantzii is the best

April 19 2017, 10:10 PM 

Tom,

Is a container staple every year. Must have! One of my local garden centers carries frantzii (see Edit) & I have Dwarf Red (sanguinea) over-wintering in my basement yet. It's greening up pretty good but too cold to go outside yet but soon, very soon. This garden center shows them carrying the red this year along with Coral (mutabilis) as well. Looking forward to visiting in a couple weeks or so (weather depending).

EDIT 4/26/17: My local place lists the "darker purple" at jamaicensis, not frantzii, but I believe based on all the info here & during research that it is mislabeled & I know this plant drew questions in the past. I believe I had a "darker blue" before but can't remember where I got it. This one is definitely purple & grows fairly large. First tried in a 14" pot but it kept blowing over with any substantial wind so I now plant in a large pot.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on Apr 26, 2017 6:40 PM

Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 19 2017, 11:31 PM 

Tom,
I agree, the big Porterweeds are the best plants I have. Once they start blooming they go strong all season and, most important, they are equally attractive to Hummingbirds and Butterflies. I've had a problem in the past over wintering them. They are the only plant I grow that don't survive in my unheated Florida room and I don't have space indoors for the big pots. Last fall I tried what Bud in Ohio calls the Cave Man trash bag method. That is, I cut the plants down enough to fit, with pots, in big black garbage bags. I put the bags in the crawl space under my house in mid November and forgot about them until late March. When I opened them I expected very dead plants but, to my surprise, two of the three had pale white leaves growing. Since then, with sunshine and fertilizer they have bounced back dramatically. They are well leafed out and should make huge plants for this year. The third one, which looked very dead, has started to come back as well. I don't know how this method works but I'm glad it does and recommend it to anyone with a similar storage problem.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 20 2017, 12:31 AM 

I ordered an assortment of Stachytarpheta from Accents for Home and Garden. The key is to get them going before the summer heat starts---I did that one year and they really struggled to survive.

Tom, great to hear that this plant is such a winner in your garden for both hummingbirds and butterflies.

Sadly, we have no local nurseries in Madison, Wisconsin that offer Stachytarpheta, so we always have to get it via mail order.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 20 2017, 1:08 PM 

Tom sold me on these too! So far no hummers yet this year but lots of butterflies, including quite a few mangrove skippers.

P1060163
screen capture windows
certificity.com

P1060162
upload gambar
certificity.com

St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 21 2017, 8:41 AM 

Very impressive group of porterweeds, Tom. I imagine they do very well in your heat and humidity.

If there are hummers around they will be visiting these plants.

I have found that pretty much any butterfly that uses flowers for nectar will like porterweeds with large flowers like the ones that you have.

I also have the small-flowered blue and white porterweeds. They get visits from bees, small butterflies and other pollinators.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Ward Dasey
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 21 2017, 9:12 AM 

Despite several attempts this plant has never done well here in South Jersey. I have one holdover in a pot from plants Adrianne gave me last year. I love the look of them in southern gardens but mine never grew much.

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 21 2017, 4:39 PM 

A few years ago I had tried a plant called "vervain" which I think is the same thing. Anyway I noticed hummers going to it but not to the point of it being the fav here. Anyway I wasnt that impressed with it.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

April 21 2017, 8:32 PM 

That is a beautiful row of porterweed.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 22 2017, 1:37 AM 

Beautiful Stacytarpheta Tom! I am envious---ours would never grow that tall in Wisconsin.

Steve, vervain is a big family. Is this what you grew?---Verbena bonariensis:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/141/

We planted this in our garden over 5 years ago and it still returns by seed every season. It is not a top tier hummingbird plant, but butterflies like it and it does not crowd out other more valuable plants.

We also have tried Verbena hastata, which is fully hardy in our zone and a native, but sadly does not attract hummingbirds:

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wetland/plants/bl_vervain.htm

This one grows well in our moist soil and there is another one, Verbena stricta, which does well in drier, well drained, rocky soils and looks identical.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

April 22 2017, 4:38 AM 

I never heard Verbena bonariesis called Vervain. For me in the nectar garden it is right up there as a top tier butterfly plant. It can be pretty weedy, seedlings everywhere and lots of winter survivors. Even after decades of growing it I still hate pulling out the extras and composting them. It just seems wrong. On Friday Ken and Ron and I will be adding a bunch to the park gardens. It is useful among the Tropical Milkweed.

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 22 2017, 12:45 PM 

Thought I'd add just one more wink.gif

P1060196
click image upload
certificity.com
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 23 2017, 11:44 AM 

Clermont Tom,

I am so impressed with your gardens. I remember the huge porterweeds...so magnificent. My newly planted purple porterweed is just starting to bloom...patience happy.gif

St. Pete. Tom,

Your porterweeds are beautiful and what a great setting along the water. The pic of the monarchs is awesome.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Kathi and Michael
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 23 2017, 12:56 PM 

Wow, Tom, that Monarch is beautiful with the Stachytarpheta. We are doing more with butterfly gardening this season because we love them and hope to fill in some of the "low" hummer days with beautiful butterflies (Perennial and tropical milkweeds and stachytarphetas are on order!!)
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 24 2017, 11:40 AM 

Your porterweeds are beautiful and what a great setting along the water.

The water is a double-edged sword Rhonda. The lake is brackish and some things that should have done well have not, likely due to the salt air. (i.e. S. miniata)

We are doing more with butterfly gardening this season because we love them and hope to fill in some of the "low" hummer days with beautiful butterflies (Perennial and tropical milkweeds and stachytarphetas are on order!!)

Me too. Because I rarely get frost I try to put in mostly perennial year-around bloomers, for the bees.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

April 24 2017, 12:44 PM 

Beautiful plants and garden area! I saw my first Porterweeds last week in Texas (well other than in pictures on this site and other garden sites). I liked them, the flowers (blooms) are smaller than I thought, but not by much. I may try these eventually, but have too many Salvia's arriving this week and I am not sure how they would handle the dry hot summers of Utah.

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

April 24 2017, 5:36 PM 

I am also a fan of Purple Porterweed or Stachytarpheta frantzii.

It is certainly a favorite of the hummers and butterfly's in my yard, when their here. Been dry as all get out for several months and its not blooming as well as I would like but since other flowers are doing well I'm not too concerned, for the time being.
I wouldn't think it's particularly well suited to gardens much further north it certainly is a great plant to have in zones 8-9.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Ben Lim
(Login 07ben847)
Hummingbird Lover 2017

April 25 2017, 10:08 PM 

Joni
Which local garden center carries Starchytarpheta franzii in Chicago? Thanks.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 26 2017, 6:47 PM 

Ben,

See my edit above first. The greenhouse that sells them is Ted's Greenhouse in Tinley Park. They've had the purple for quite a few years now but their list this year shows them adding Red & Coral as well. The place is older & dated but they have some very unique plants you can't get anywhere else. Rarely see Ted much anymore as he is very old but is extremely nice & funny. Reminds me of a tall version of Brooks from the movie Shawshank Redemption. (great movie by the way if you never saw it) His kids run most of it now & appears he's added some good advisors. I will yell at them since their "weekly availability" download is still from February so look at the plant catalog instead.

https://www.tedsgreenhouse.com/

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Ben Lim
(no login)

Thanks

April 26 2017, 11:44 PM 

Thanks Joni.
I will check Ted's Greenhouse out.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics