<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Dead Salvia 'Amistad' Surprised Me!

April 19 2017 at 11:43 PM
Joni  (Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

I'm good at somewhat neglecting inside over-wintered plants from shortly after they are brought in for winter until after the holidays are over. Some sulk & then perk back up when the lights go on & the water starts to flow again but I seem to always lose 1 or 2 due to my neglect.

This winter, it appeared to be 'Amistad' & 'Royal Bumble'. 'Royal Bumble' was left outside in the unheated garage just outside the door that I forgot to bring in. The 'Royal Bumble' seemed dead right off the bat but there were some seedlings popping up that ended up dying. To make more room, these 2 went outside back in March when the first round of unusually warm weather started. I never give up & watered them but temps have bounced around & there were a couple of light frosts from then until now.

Today on 'Amistad', I was surprised to see green so IT'S ALIVE!:
[linked image]
[linked image]

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

Re: Dead Salvia 'Amistad' Surprised Me!

April 20 2017, 12:28 AM 

Last year I also had a surprise that an overwintered inground amistad survived but didnt realize it till it bloomed.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Ruth who wishes network 54 would fix this!
(Login flowerpowereverett)
Butterfly Moderator 2005

April 20 2017, 1:18 PM 

well, what a nice surprise Joni! I have never had any luck over-wintering those types of salvias in the ground or n the pots, indoors or out [linked image] But your post makes me wonder if I gave up too soon and threw those plants away...
Ruth
Everett, WA
Zone 8
Find more about Weather in San Francisco, CA
Click for weather forecast

Robin
(Login Robinmid)
Hummingbird lover 2013

April 20 2017, 4:33 PM 

Here in the UK, my Amistads are sprouting, a couple of weeks earlier than usual as we had a warm spring, but DO ensure that the new shoots are protected from snails and slugs.........this applies to most Salvias.

Robin.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics