<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Agastache Acapulco Deluxe Red

April 21 2017 at 12:11 AM
Rhonda  (Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Anyone out there grow Agastache Acapulco Deluxe Red (or any of the other colors)? I couldn't pass it up when a local nursery had it in one gallon pots from GreenFuse Botanicals for $4.99 today.....MUCH less than online companies. I know it is a low grower but supposedly blooms almost non-stop. Have you had any hummer activity around it? I'm thinking that since it is a low grower that I might have more luck if its in a pot to raise it up higher. Any thoughts?

http://green-fuse.com/site/agastache-acapulco-deluxe/

Thanks!
Rhonda

Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Agastache Acapulco Deluxe Red

April 21 2017, 3:25 AM 

Rhonda,

I'm not sure how well agastache would grow in Florida. We have to grow this plant in a container because our soil is too heavy and rich and they die almost immediately if we try and plant them in the ground. The beauty of a container is that you can use a well draining soil mix and a shorter plant is immediately made much taller. A container could also be moved out of a soaking rainstorm (which agastache would not like.)

If this plant likes the conditions in which it is being grown, it will bloom non-stop during most of the growing season, requires little maintenance, and hummingbirds, butterflies, and bees like it. If it ever seems a bit ragged looking, you can just shear it down and it will regrow.

I like the red variety of this plant Rhonda---very pretty.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 21 2017, 8:13 AM 

Rhonda,

I agree with Michael and Kathi. I got a few from Santa Rosa when they were on sale for under $5. Most died within a year, a few made it to the second season and then croaked, and the tallest was only three feet but most were only two feet tall.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

April 21 2017, 8:24 AM 

I have had little success with agastaches here in Central Florida. I think the best one was Tutti Frutti. As a generalization in areas that are hot and humid salvias do much better.

That said, putting your plant in well-drained potting soil (perhaps mix in some sand?) and in full sun might work out for you, Rhonda. I think it will be an annual where you live, but it may do well this year.

Let us know how it works out.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

Indy Steve
(Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

April 21 2017, 10:42 AM 

Obviously I cant speak for the heat and soil of florida, I can only speak for growing here. The best Agastache Ive grown for do nothing is the Rupestris. I grew it for several years thru rain, snow , cold and it came back year after year for several years and I mean I did nothing as far as maint other than occasional water which I probably didnt need to do. The soil it was in was avg at best.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 21 2017, 4:14 PM 

Michael and Kathi,

I definitely don't have to worry about heavy or too rich soil here LOL Even with me tilling in composted soil, all the sand in Florida soil (soil is being kind), makes for very well draining soil. I will plant them in large pots (with drainage holes) to get them raised higher for the hummers. We haven't had any rain here for at least 3 weeks...grass is crispy and I need to pay special attention to all the potted plants.

St Pete Tom,

Sounds as if they're not a great Florida plant based on your experience. But, for the price, I'll treat them as annuals and maybe get a full season from them and try to collect seeds for next year. Are you going/or have you been to the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete? Is it worth a 2 hour drive north?

Clermont Tom,

Thanks for your advice....and I agree with your comment on salvias. My Phyllis' Fancy that you recommended last year, which I dug up from my old yard to bring down here, are doing very well. They had been killed back to the roots due to a few hard freezes up there and showed little new growth when I dug them up. Today however, they are full and blooming. The recently purchased Amistad have doubled in size in just a few weeks.

Steve,

I also had pretty good success with Rupestris in Ohio (5b). Also was successful with foeniculum for a bee and butterfly plant, not so much for hummers. I also used it for my teas.

All,

Thanks for the good advice about growing this and your experiences with this and other agastaches. Based on all your comments about needing extremely well drained soil, I'll try my succulent soil (one third each of potting soil, crushed oyster shells and perlite) but add some additional potting soil to the mix. If I can get one good year out of them, I'll be happy. I'll try to collect seeds for next year.

As usual, you guys rock (no pun intended Michael and Kathi)!
Rhonda

Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Apr 21, 2017 4:15 PM

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 22 2017, 12:59 PM 

Sounds as if they're not a great Florida plant based on your experience. But, for the price, I'll treat them as annuals and maybe get a full season from them and try to collect seeds for next year. Are you going/or have you been to the Green Thumb Festival in St. Pete? Is it worth a 2 hour drive north?

I think Tutti Frutti did do the best here, but I can't remember for sure.

I have been to the Green Thumb Festival several times but way too crowded for me and parking is a nightmare on the first day until about 2:00 P.M. Usually a great selection, although this year Crowley's did not book so no "heirloom" pentas sad.gif From your previous post it sounds like you've found some good nurseries down there so I'd say no, I don't think you'd look back on it favorably all things considered.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 22 2017, 2:31 PM 

Thanks for the info on the plant festival Tom. Based on your review, I'll hold off this year. I'll be in Apopka next weekend with my sons and we're going to the Apopka Arts and Foliage Festival. Won't have tons of plants but it will be good to hang out with my sons and their significant others happy.gif They're pretty good about tolerating and appearing to be enjoying what Mom wants to do when I visit LOL

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 23 2017, 7:03 AM 

... They're pretty good about tolerating and appearing to be enjoying what Mom wants to do when I visit LOL

Too funny, I'm sure they will have their phones, tablets, iPads or other various distractions to prevent actual interaction if they get bored happy.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 23 2017, 10:49 AM 

Tom,

They may have their phones out, but I put my foot down on iPads, tablets, etc. when we're walking around in public happy.gif

I was probably too hard on them. The older son landscapes so he is somewhat interested in the plants. The younger son lives in an apartment so can't plant much outside unless on his balcony. But, he is into indoor plants and Apopka is the self proclaimed "indoor foliage capital of the world" with Costa Farms' Exotic Angel located there.

Rhonda

Englewood, Florida 10a

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

April 23 2017, 11:35 AM 

Very good Rhonda. You know what they say, the family that plays together, stays together wink.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

April 24 2017, 11:41 AM 

Rhonda,

Mine do exceptional in pots & also well in ground although those in-ground here in the north sometimes make it & sometimes not depending on the winter. Acapulco is the only variety (non blue/purple bee type) I could get locally except for rupestris back in the early 2000s. More varieties are gradually introduced. I started a thread awhile back with no hits on 'Acapulco' vs. 'Acapulco Deluxe' since I noticed the difference in name but didn't know the difference between varieties. Deluxe is supposed to be more dwarf but I don't notice much of a difference.

However, the red is usually the least vigorous of all of the colors with Yellow & White coming in 2nd to last. Rose, Salmon & Pink & Orange do the best for me. However, Red did well in 2016 for some reason & this isn't Deluxe Red:

[linked image]

Wouldn't be without them as they are a staple & one of the most used plants along with the newer 'Kudos' Series. Kudos Yellow did well in a pot for me last year & over-wintered in non-heated garage & is starting to flush along with a couple of 2" pots of Acapulco that didn't make it in ground.

All Agastaches in ground had the soil mixed with greensand & kelp meal with a humus drench at planting & I had also mixed in some pea gravel. Plant my Penstemons that way also.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message. ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics