<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Free Popcorn Cassia Seeds

April 29 2017 at 11:17 PM
Rhonda  (Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Hey all,

I have several popcorn cassia (Cassia didymobotrya) seed pods that I'd happily share if you email me your address (you should be able to click on my login ID at the top right of this post to see my email address). I'll send 4-5 seed pods to each requester til I run out.

I know it's not a hummer plant, but as many of us plant butterfly/hummingbird plants in the same garden, I thought some may be interested. Cassias are host plants for sulphur butterflies. The leaves, when rubbed between your fingers, smell just like buttered popcorn!

It is hardy in zones 9-11, absent a hard freeze. Mine grew to about 5 feet in a season in 9a after being killed back. In my zone 10a, it should grow into a small tree. It can be grown as an annual in cooler climates.

Here's a pic of a male monarch on a popcorn cassia flower......

[linked image]

and on a seedpod.......

[linked image]

The pics were taken with the white siding in the background, hence the almost cut and past look happy.gif

and the entire flower....

[linked image]

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by rvird01 on Apr 29, 2017 11:30 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ron
(Login RonDEZone7a)
Hummingbirder 2008

Re: Free Popcorn Cassia Seeds

May 1 2017, 6:51 AM 

Can you post a photo of the whole plant?
Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
[linked image]

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Free popcorn cassia plants

May 1 2017, 9:40 AM 

Hi Ron,

I can post a pic on Wednesday. I'm not home until then. I will say that they have an upright, loose, slender growing habit and that their leaves have an appearance similar to mimosa trees (but don't worry, this is not an aggressive spreader like the mimosa).

Thanks!

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on May 1, 2017 9:41 AM

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 1 2017, 10:46 AM 

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Popcorn cassia seed pods

May 1 2017, 7:37 PM 

Michael and Kathi,
Thanks for the link.

Ron,
Since my popcorn cassia is in its first year at my new home, it looks more loose than some of the pics. But, since we don't get freezes here, I expect that next year but will be much prettier happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Popcorn cassia seed pods

May 1 2017, 7:37 PM 

Michael and Kathi,
Thanks for the link.

Ron,
Since my popcorn cassia is in its first year at my new home, it looks more loose than some of the pics. But, since we don't get freezes here, I expect that next year but will be much prettier happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on May 1, 2017 8:34 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 2 2017, 7:49 PM 

Funny you should mention this plant, Rhonda. Never heard of it before & found a Garden Center I've never gone to yet has it while I was looking at their inventory. They are calling it Peanut Butter Cassia. I will have to check it out. Seed starting is done for the season for me. Having a hard time keeping those going that I already started. Rain, Rain go away (& cold, too!).

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 3 2017, 8:41 PM 

Ron,

I got home later than expected so I'll take a pic tomorrow and post.

Joni,

"found a Garden Center I've never gone to yet has it while I was looking at their inventory. They are calling it Peanut Butter Cassia"
Yes, I've heard it called that too. But to me, the leaves smell exactly like buttered popcorn happy.gif

"Seed starting is done for the season for me. Having a hard time keeping those going that I already started."
I'd be happy to send you some seeds late in my season (I'm thinking that here they will bloom off and on most of the year) for you try next spring. Just remind me in the fall.

"Rain, Rain go away (& cold, too!)."
Sorry to hear that you're getting deluged...much of the country is flooding and we're in a drought which isn't helping to keep brush fires under control. We haven't had anything more than a few drops in at least a month. South, North and East of us they have been receiving decent showers at least every couple of weeks.

Michael and Kathi,

Your seeds will be in the mail tomorrow. Wishing you success happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 4 2017, 12:58 AM 

Thank you so much Rhonda. We look forward to receiving them. Are you sure we cannot send a check to cover the postage and handling (not to speak of your time and trouble.) We look forward to giving this plant a try.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 4 2017, 8:38 PM 

Michael and Kathi...no need to reimburse for postage, but thanks for the offer. I mailed them in bubble wrap in the pods so there should be no chance that they get damaged in shipping. Hope you enjoy them.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 4 2017, 10:50 PM 

Rhonda,
I sure do appreciate the offer but I actually ended up seeing it at a Garden Center yesterday that is right down the road from me. Imagine that! It was a gallon pot all with lots of buds & some had blooms. It was a little high so I'll see how much that other place has it for. Not sure why that other place calls it "peanut butter" since I smelled it yesterday at the closer place & it does smell just like popcorn. Do you get a fair amount of seeds from it? If I don't get many in the fall for some reason, I will possibly contact you.

Thanks again for the offer!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 5 2017, 11:15 PM 

Joni,

I don't know who would think it smells like peanut butter...definitely smells like buttered popcorn to me too happy.gif I get several seed pods from each flower so I will have plenty if you want some later.

Ron,

It was gray (but no rain) and very windy today so it was hard to get a good picture. The plant was the only one I could find at my 3 favorite nurseries when I bought it. It was 8' tall (I have trimmed about 2 feet off) and very loosely formed...obviously they had never trimmed it. But, because the flowers (and hence the seed pods) always form at the very tip of the stems on my plants, I hate to cut it back until it's done blooming. Even when the stems appear to be done, a small bud appears at the tip and within a few days there's another bloom there. So, it still looks straggly. Once it is done blooming (it has slowed down dramatically), I'll give it a hard haircut to make it grow back bushier (they never get too bushy). Here are a few pics from today.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

This message has been edited by rvird01 on May 5, 2017 11:16 PM

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 6 2017, 9:05 PM 

Funny again how this plant is popping up round here now. When "looking" yesterday & ended up finding it at another local place & was $2 cheaper than the other place from a few days ago so I bought it. Very nice plant!

I did end up seeing on a site that described leaves smelled like popcorn & flowers smelled like peanut butter. Leaves yes, flowers no.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 7 2017, 8:32 PM 

Joni,

In past years, I didn't see it much even in Florida. But since I bought this scraggly one a month ago, I have noticed it at several nurseries. Go figure.

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 9 2017, 6:55 PM 

Just found another garden center is carrying this...that makes 3. Must be the hot new thing.

OBSERVATION...bought one with other plants last Fri. I've put them outside during the day but it's been in the high 30's to low 40's at night so I put them back in my SUV in the garage at night. Even protected, it was the only plant that looked cranky. Leaves were closed up (similar to Sensitive Plant which it kinda resembles) & then opened back up after being in the sun outside the next day. The other annuals didn't show any sign of stress (yet, anyway). So, I believe this plant likes high heat & would prefer a blanket for now.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Linda
(Login roper2014)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 17 2017, 8:55 AM 

I found this plant yesterday locally, so I grabbed one. Very cool, the leaves
do smell like buttered popcorn.
Virginia Beach, VA
Zone 7b

Virginia Beach, Virginia Conditions

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 17 2017, 7:02 PM 

Joni,

They seem to be a hot plant this year...in past years, even in Florida, they were scarce.

Yes, they are very cold sensitive and even in my yard the leaves do often close in the evening. It is probably best if you protect them if the temps are projected below 50 degrees.

Linda,

I'm glad that you found them. I think the fact that the leaves smell like popcorn is making them a novelty plant.

BTW....my big one has really filled in over the past week since I trimmed it and since we have received rain 3 out of the last 5 days. We got 3" Saturday night, 1/4" Monday night and 1 1/4" last night...the first rain in 6 weeks happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 18 2017, 12:53 PM 

I was able to get lots of pictures today of an orange-barred sulphur as she very quickly went around laying eggs on the popcorn cassia. Enjoy.

Rhonda

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]
Englewood, Florida 10a

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 18 2017, 7:16 PM 

Great shots Rhonda. You seeing any hummers now?
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 18 2017, 9:02 PM 

Thanks Tom! No...I haven't seen one since the two females left about a week ago. Are you seeing any?

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimageis a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Direct Link ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics