<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Oriole/Hummingbird Feeder Ideas

May 9 2017 at 9:22 PM
Marilyn Gruber  (Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

I have enjoyed watching a pair of orioles in my yard all day! No hummingbirds yet but am happy that my feeder is being used by some beautiful, unusual (for my yard) birds. In years past, I have always used a First Nature Feeder in the area and saw the orioles attempting to drink from it today. Upon noticing them sitting on the feeder (and tipping it), I thought the oriole feeder (I have had stored away for many years) would work better for them. I quickly filled it with a 1 to 4 sugar water mix, added an orange on the top and was so happy to see the pair come again and again to enjoy the sweets!! I have tried to attract orioles in the past but they are not a common sight in my area and finally gave up and stored my feeder away a few years ago. Now, they came back and I hope they will stay. I am wondering, I took the hummingbird feeder down and hung the larger, saucer type oriole feeder in it's place, it is a very different style compared to the First Nature feeder. Will the hummingbirds use the saucer style oriole feeder? Should I hang both feeders in the same area? I do still have a First Nature feeder hanging but it is on a different side of the house. I know many of you have both orioles and hummingbirds visit your yards regularly. Do they use the same feeder? Should I hang the two different types? I sure hope the orioles will stay but I want to accommodate and be ready for the hummingbirds should they return. Would really appreciate ideas and suggestions.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
King Cupheaphea
(Login King_Cupheaphea)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Don't Get a Perky Pet Opus Oriole Feeder = THEY LEAK!

May 9 2017, 10:33 PM 

Hey Marilyn! I'd say use two different types of feeders. In two different locations. One for hummers, one for Orioles.

The only recommendation I can give for Oriole Feeders is to stay away from the Perky Pet Opus Oriole Feeders, THEY LEAK LIKE CRAZY!

If you get one you'll be thanked by the ants that gather beneath it as it rains sugar water down upon them. You'll be "M, the nectar bringer". BONUS POINTS if you get the MIB2 reference. wink.gif But that praise will be short-lived when the feeder pops in half and comes crashing down on them. sad.gif
~Nate. [linked image] The Mighty King Cupheaphea is in Zn 1/2" to the left of your second knuckle from the tip of your thumb on your right palm. wink.gif[linked image]

Douglas
(Login DouglasE)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Painting a feeder orange to attract orioles

May 10 2017, 12:36 AM 

Hi Marilyn,

I painted several First Nature 16oz feeders orange and they have attracted three of our Tucson oriole species. Year after year reliable.

[linked image]

I have also used the Aspects and other brands of oriole feeder---all unsuccessfully.

Here is an interesting article about attracting and feeding orioles.
http://hummingbirdmarket.com/hummingbird_articles/feeding_orioles.html
Pax,
Douglas
Foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains
Tucson, Arizona

Tom
(Login tbyrnes)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Oriole/Hummingbird Feeder Ideas

May 10 2017, 10:10 AM 

Hey, Marilyn. Glad to see that you have orioles visiting. They might be some of the ones that visited my First Nature feeders earlier this spring, last autumn and the spring before that.

The seemed to recognize the First Nature feeders. I think that they had seen this feeder before up north.

I love the First Nature feeders now even more than before. They are the easiest to keep clean in my experience and the birds seem to like them. I think the ones with the painted flowers on them are probably better at attracting first-time feeders, but after that, the First Nature feeders are great.

The orioles did not tip my feeders hardly at all. That may well be because of the setup that I have--ant protector and sun shield above may provide added weight.

Here's my setup.

photo feeder_zps750o1imr.jpg

Here's a bad photo of an oriole using it.

photo 238d9290-0581-4d63-b602-ae502deb2d92_zps0hdfrgzo.jpg

There is a little tilt, but not much. The orioles really loved the feeders.
Click for Forecast for 34711 from weatherUSA

This message has been edited by tbyrnes on May 10, 2017 10:13 AM

Frank
(Login Frankdj)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Oriole Feeder . . .

May 10 2017, 3:00 PM 

Here's a picture of the Oriole feeder I picked up at our local hardware store in Anza when the one I had before, (Which I didn't like anyway!), broke.

[linked image]

I've seen them on line and even at Amazon.com with some good comments, and some not so good. They can drip if they get blown around in the wind, (And trust me, living on top of a hill myself I have some actual experience with that!), but all in all it's a nice little feeder and the Oriole's just love it!

As for dripping from the pieces that snap together I don't have that problem as long as I snap them together and make sure the pieces are nice and tight and they are sure easy to keep clean.

Frank Janzen
Mountain Center, CA
Zone 9

[linked image]

Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

May 10 2017, 6:26 PM 

Hi Marilyn, I have used the Woodlin Audubon feeder for several years now for both Hummers and Orioles with great success. They get along fine, and share well. The feeder is shaped very similar to the Humzinger feeder,with little trays positioned around the edge. I fill the nectar area with the 1:4 ratio sugar mixture for the Hummers, and put grape jelly in the little trays for the Orioles. There is also a place to stick oranges or fruits, but when I started putting grape jelly out, the Oriole's totally forgot about the fruit! Right now I have two Oriole's and one Hummer sharing, but later on in the season I'll have as many as six Oriole's in here Sharing. Usually one Hummer lays ownership on the feeder, and will chase off other Hummers, but shares easily with all the Orioles. In addition to the Oriole feeder, I usually hang four other feeders, but there is always a Hummer sharing the Oriole feeder, they really seem to like that one.

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 10 2017, 7:48 PM 

I've used the Audubon Woodlink oriole feeder for many years. It is now old and worn out(orange plastic is chewed up, faded, etc.). I've been looking for a new one. One complaint I have is the four little jelly trays just don't hold very much. The finches and sparrows will eat the jelly quickly and force frequent refills.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 12 2017, 6:50 PM 

Orioles don't stay around long enough to bother with separate feeders. I use 2 Stokes Select Snack 'N Treats feeders for my grape jelly & a 1/2 orange in the middle.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/643054-stokes-select-snacksntreats-single-hanging-feeder.html

[linked image]

They used to also sell one at Menards & long ago, it was clear & had a spike in the middle so the orange would stay there. Haven't found that one in a long time & preferred it. I normally use the clear one & the orange one in the picture (in case they are particular about color). I also have the blue one (shown on the link) as a back-up & they have used it as well so don't really think color matters. The orange itself is the attractant.

If they want a drink, they use the First Nature Hummer Feeders (older model with the holes & not the slits). Had 5 2 days ago & today they appear to have already moved on...
[linked image]

I have them stock-piled since the Hummers won't use the one with the slits except during fall migration for those desperate when the others are occupied.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Oriole/Hummingbird Feeder Ideas

May 12 2017, 10:57 PM 

Thank you to all of you for the suggestions. I hope they stay although I believe a few days ago I had three in my yard and today only heard one. Neighbor said he seen it. Well, I at least had birds enjoy the feeder for a bit and I sure enjoyed the time watching them in my yard. Just where are my hummingbirds?? Back to waiting and waiting.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 13 2017, 9:20 AM 

Joni, that Stokes feeder is the kind of simple feeder I want. I've seen the blue version at Menards, but I'd rather it be clear or orange. I'm not sure why they went with blue.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2017, 7:28 PM 

I haven't seen the clear one out & is my oldest one. They show selling a clear replacement without the holder when I Googled it & also a clear/blue duo feeder. Maybe I will email them a suggestion & see what they say. I miss the spike in the middle to hold the orange. If a squirrel climbed up or a brisk wind blew it, the orange would stay put. Now I find them on the ground often.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics