<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Salvia heatwave blaze

May 15 2017 at 12:44 PM
Indy Steve  (Login SteveWnindy)
Hummingbird lover 2007

I was disappointed that the microphylla heatwave blaze nor Agastache tutti frutti returned for me this year. I had blaze for a couple of years and only tutti frutti for one year. Considering what a mild winter we had it is double disappointing that they did not return.
Steve
Martinsville In.
Zone 6

Find more about Weather in Martinsville, IN
Click for weather forecast

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brett (KY)
(Login afvn71)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Re: Salvia heatwave blaze

May 15 2017, 2:09 PM 

Why one thing lives while another dies is one of the great mysteries of life. That being said, don't be too quick to pull up your plants. My Bog Sage, whose death I questioned in another thread, finally came to life a month after everything else. It ain't over till it's over. Brett

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 15 2017, 3:39 PM 

Steve,

So sorry about the plants you lost. These tender salvias would never overwinter in our zone 5a garden, but we lost many established perennials this year despite the milder winter. The only thing I can think of is that it was also a very dry winter with little snow cover (at least here in Wisconsin.) This factor always seems to affect winter plant survival. I think you should wait a few more weeks and then replace any plants that are dead.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

May 15 2017, 10:37 PM 

Hate when that happens. I thought all my Windwalker were dead for a second year in a row. Went out yesterday and two of the three are alive and well. Yahoo! I was beginning to really question their hardiness.

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 16 2017, 6:05 PM 

The "Heatwaves" never survive in ground for me. Also, I had bought way too many (& also B&B) last spring & ended up with almost a flat that never made it in ground or in pots. I overwintered them inside my unheated garage & they all died even with that bit of protection & a mild winter. I am hoping to see the "Artics" or something else available around here soon. I think the "Mesas" were slightly more compact & looked a little bit better late in the season. I do like both, especially early to mid-season, but there are more compact & floriforous varieties but not that I can find locally.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

May 17 2017, 10:28 AM 

These comments are all the more reason that new releases of Salvias, especially the greggii/microphylla group, need to be thoroughly trialed west of the Mississippi in both the North and the South.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics