<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bahama Woodstar

May 15 2017 at 3:21 PM

Joe M.  (Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

posted on FL listserve 5-14-17
Late this afternoon I found what I believe is an imm male Bahama Woodstar at Maritime Hammock Santuary at the south end of Brevard county. The bird was fly-catching in a large fruiting fig 50yrds due west of the parking area. It was also visiting a Flame vine bush just to the south of the fig. The bird was still there when I left about 6:00 this afternoon. Below is a few links to my Flickr page with some pics of the bird.
https://flic.kr/p/UBF9EH
https://flic.kr/p/UBF2hX
https://flic.kr/p/Ue9Kty
https://flic.kr/p/TzCNjZ
Mitchell Harris

I have no idea if my copy and past will work but I'm giving it a try!
Intriguing and a very rare hummer in FL or anywhere in the eastern US if verified.

I'm close to making the 300 mi trip to take a photo if it continues.

5/19/17 Have changed the Title bar since there is little doubt from all credible observers that it is a "Woodstar".
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

This message has been edited by flhummer on May 19, 2017 3:44 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: Possible Bahama Woodstar

May 15 2017, 3:42 PM 

Joe,

What exciting news!! Beautiful photos and bird. I hope you get to see and photograph this bird.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 15 2017, 4:05 PM 

Another brief comment I noted about this bird.

http://blog.aba.org/2017/05/__trashed.html/

The reason I'm fairly confident that this bird is the "real thing" is that Mitchell Harris is a very experienced birder and well respected in the FL birding community.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 15 2017, 4:08 PM 

Joe,

I've been following this and it was photographed again this morning. Yesterday's images looked very good to my untrained eye. I am not being modest here, I have never seen a Bahama Woodstar and have not studied the species nor have I studied the closely related Inagua Woodstar, I would not know how to make a definitive identification. However, if I were closer . . . Also in yesterday's eBird was a report of a Cuban Emerald, but that report was not really credible as the person also reported a Cuban Martin and there were no images nor any written description of either rarity.

To put things into perspective, I once drove nearly 700 miles to band a Green Violetear [now Mexican Violetear] only to have the permission to band rescinded when I arrived. Just last summer, I drove 300+ miles to band a Mexican Violetear in Louisiana only to arrive about 3 hours after the last sighting. You must have more sanity than I do . . . congrats.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net
Find more about Weather in Metairie, LA
Click for weather forecast

This message has been edited by humband1 on May 15, 2017 4:22 PM

Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 15 2017, 4:27 PM 

That is a once in a lifetime kind of find. Congratulations.

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 16 2017, 9:22 AM 

Very cool Joe. If you do go I sure hope you're successful as I know we'll see some great shots.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 16 2017, 11:06 AM 

Joe, according to the Florida Birdbrains listserv, the Bahama Woodstar was observed again this morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

JoeM
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 16 2017, 1:14 PM 

Thanks Nan,
Following the posts and will probably head over tomorrow with fingers crossed.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Possible Bahama Woodstar

May 16 2017, 9:21 PM 

I sure hope if you go Joe, you get some great photos!!

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 17 2017, 5:02 PM 

Well I did decide to drive over to Melbourne Beach (Maritime Hammock), upon arrival at 10 AM was informed it had not been seen since before 8 AM. I had allotted myself 2 hrs., before heading back home, and found a comfortable place to observe the only likely bush a hummer would visit. 10 min. later "lo and behold" there she was briefly feeding on Cape honeysuckle. She returned again in 15 min. and again 15 min. later. Headed back home less than an hour after arriving. The "hummer spirits" had listened to my prayers for her to make a showing. None of my photos really do justice in showing her tail which immediately differentiates her from Rufous or Ruby-throated, much longer with a totally different coloration pattern. She is very much the same size.

It was a worth while trip and adds a 7th species to my FL hummingbird bird list, (Calliphlox evelynae).

[linked image]
[linked image]
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 17 2017, 5:31 PM 

Congrats, again, Joe! I kept you in my thoughts all day and kept checking the Florida Birdbrains listserv. I thought it had been posted that this bird was probably an immature male and I noted a dark spot in the center of the gorget area, but I am not an expert with this species. Maybe it will stick around and its sex will become clear. I am envious.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

jp
(Login nalono1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 17 2017, 8:44 PM 

Good for you! I know it made your day. Nice photos.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 17 2017, 10:59 PM 

So happy for you Joe. The bird showed up just for you!! Congratulations!!!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 18 2017, 3:10 PM 

Nan,
I'm pretty sure its a female since a few of my photos show only a couple of spots on her gorget. No signs of rose-purple or violet (male).

Her tail appears to be double rounded rather than forked (male) with most of the Rufous coloring on the outer retrices tips.

Just my thoughts and relating what I'm seeing in my photos to N. Newfield's description in "Hummingbirds of North America".

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Nancy Newfield
(Login humband1)
Hummingbird Member 2005

May 18 2017, 4:42 PM 

Joe,

You must have me mistaken with another author. I did not write any volume entitled "Hummingbirds of North America". I even looked up a list of books, articles, and papers that I have written or co-written. No title of "Hummingbirds of North America" is listed.

What I don't know about hummingbirds, including the Bahama Woodstar, would fill several volumes and since I am retired from gainful employment, none of those volumes will be written. My original comment was based on comments by others on the Florida Birdbrains listserv, some of whom may have previous experience with the species. I have not looked up anything in any of the specialized hummingbird field guides. I do not know how to age or sex that particular species, but IF that bird is an immature bird, it would not necessarily have a tail like that of an adult male. It could be similar to that of an adult female.

An immature male Ruby-throated Hummingbird might have a heavy stippling of dull green, he might have just a few red feathers, or he could have a perfectly clear, white throat. For Ruby-throateds, it is extremely unusual for a female to have any colored or dark feathers. I have seen 2 or 3 in hand in my lifetime, including 1 about 4 weeks ago. Among females of the species that breed in the western states, several can show a few colored or dark feathers in the area that would become the gorget. I just do not know the variations in plumage that are possible with Bahama Woodstars.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA USA
nancy@casacolibri.net

Joe M.
(Login flhummer)
Hummingbirder 2012

May 18 2017, 5:25 PM 

Nan, my profuse apologies for citing your name it should have been "Sheri L. Williamson".

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 18 2017, 7:13 PM 

Belated congrats Joe, great shots!
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Rhonda
(Login rvird01)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

Possible Bahama Woodstar

May 18 2017, 9:08 PM 

Joe,

She is absolutely beautiful. And, as usual, your pictures are amazing! It's so cool that she showed up just for you happy.gif

Rhonda
Englewood, Florida 10a

Click for Forecast for 34224 from weatherUSA

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Possible Bahama Woodstar

May 18 2017, 9:37 PM 

Joe,

How wonderful for you to see the hummingbird in person! Beautiful photos and so great that you can share it for all of us to see.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Dylan
(Login utahxericman)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

May 18 2017, 10:04 PM 

Great pics Joe! How neat to see such a rare Hummingbird in the USA. Glad you were able to see it and share with us!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics