<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  

Finally a Brief Sighting Sat. 5/13/17

May 16 2017 at 5:32 PM
Joni  (Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

Briefly saw my first of the year (female) hovering near my orange/jelly Oriole feeders then took off out of sight. This was late Sat. & as much as I wanted to get on here, have been working in yard all day since last Fri. trying to keep my Canada Thistle from taking over & getting as many weeds pulled while I still had a little moisture left in the ground & since they were calling for high 80's for a few days. I was inside so couldn't see where she flew. She showed up again Sun. morning near the feeder & my large pot of Salvia 'Amistad' but never drank from either. Seemed very flitty & cautious.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
[linked image]

This message has been edited by Yodlei44 on May 16, 2017 5:36 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pete
(Login Sundodger)
Hummingbirders 2010

Re: Finally a Brief Sighting Sat. 5/13/17

May 16 2017, 5:36 PM 

Good news! She might be a little jumpy if there are other HB's around. Hopefully that's the case.
Click for Forecast for 54304 from weatherUSA
Green Bay, WI
Plant Zone 5

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 16 2017, 5:38 PM 

Congrats Joni, hopefully you'll see more this week happy.gif
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 16 2017, 6:34 PM 

Congratulations Jodi. Hopefully, this first brief sighting will be followed by many more. It looks like you will have a phenomenal garden this year, so I'm sure you will be visited by many hummingbirds. Enjoy!!

[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Fran
(Login happyhummer)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

May 16 2017, 7:17 PM 

Congratulations on your first sighting! They will start coming more frequently now! Soon you'll be sitting out in your garden watching them darting around, vying for the best flowers. Just sit back and enjoy!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

Dan
(Login hawkeye_wx)
Hummingbird lover 2009

May 16 2017, 7:18 PM 

Congrats on the hummer. It's nice to see everyone getting action now.
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Marilyn Gruber
(Login MarilynGruber)
Hummingbird Lover 2015

Finally a Brief Sighting Sat. 5/13/17

May 16 2017, 9:14 PM 

Joni,

Now all those plants you purchased are going to be put to lots of use I bet! Enjoy all your hummingbird visits.

Marilyn
Marilyn Gruber
Wisconsin
Zone 5

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 17 2017, 5:43 AM 

Congrats Joni!
They always seem to be a bit jumpy when they first arrive until they get settled in. That is why I think both the male and female I saw here have been here for a while because they are very relaxed with me or the dog being outside. I also think the female is already on a nest because I hardly see her but the male comes to the feeder off and on throughout the day.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Alex
(Login Sweeper13)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 17 2017, 9:46 AM 

Awesome...
Alex
Northlake, Il.
Click for Forecast for 60164 from weatherUSA

Ilena Zone 5
(Login Cheddarchick)
Hummingbird Lover 2016

May 18 2017, 5:57 AM 

So excited for you!!! I think I have a couple, 1 is very shy, 1 doesn't care if I am close..haven't seen a female yet, but fingers crossed she will come back...
Ilena Zone 5 Elkhorn, WI

Click for Forecast for 53121 from weatherUSA

King Cupheaphea
(Login King_Cupheaphea)
Hummingbird Member 2005

Congratulations!

May 19 2017, 3:06 AM 

Hey Joni! Glad to hear your visitors finally found your yard!

The male I have is SUPER SKITTISH! He flys up to the feeder, sits, takes one sip, then darts off again. He does this all day until the last two visits at the end of the night when he tanks up before bed, which is when he finally sits there feeding for a minute or two.

Don't forget to stop weeding every now and again and enjoy the show! wink.gif
~Nate. [linked image] The Mighty King Cupheaphea is in Zn 1/2" to the left of your second knuckle from the tip of your thumb on your right palm. wink.gif[linked image]

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

May 23 2017, 7:42 PM 

Finally getting more action but still haven't gotten a good picture of any yet since I'm either dirty outside with the camera inside, see them dip & run or see them too late at night. My resident male is here to stay & I really wonder if it is the same one as in the past couple of years since he sits in the same 3 locations & I have many, many trees.

I was weeding yesterday near the back of the house & almost ready to come in since the sky was looking like rain & what do I hear....the U dance. He was dancing on the side of my house where there is no flowers & only some gnarly Sand Cherries that I intend on removing this fall. Danced for quite a while & then stopped & sat in my Blace Lace Elderberry for about 15 mins & then continued again. Almost like he was tired & resting. Was just finishing up & then he was dancing on the other side of my house where my Red Prince Weigela bushes are with multiple buds ready to pop. This is one of the bushes I think I found a nest in one year although it was in Oct. when they were already gone. I sure hope so. I've seen 2 males at one time & then a lone female at one time.

Would be nice to have a nest.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Tom M
(Login TomnStPete)
Hummingbird Lover 2014

May 24 2017, 11:28 AM 

Would be nice to have a nest.

Cool Joni, if you do find one and it is possible I'd love to see a picture.
St Pete Tom
USDA 10a, Heat 10

Joni
(Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

June 1 2017, 11:39 PM 

While weeding the past few days, I've seen more U dances again. See a female at the feeder a couple of times a day & then always flies in same direction under my huge Pin Oak in front. Since she always is flying the same direction, I assume someone else was chosen as her nesting property. My resident male is here on & off all day long & sits in the same locations as last year. Sure wonder if it was the same bird. When she is in the yard, he sure pesters her to death. My boy seems to be very comfortable now & has gotten very close to me a few times. There is another male that is still very flitty but don't see him as often.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>return to index  
Search the Hummingbird Forum using Google search:
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends Helpful Tips The Bug Forum The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics