<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Salvia reptans West Texas Form Question

May 16 2017 at 7:11 PM
Joni  (Login Yodlei44)
Hummingbirder 2008

This was one of my first Salvias grown in ground & bought from High Country Gardens about 10 years ago. It grew for years & then the mother plant died out but towards the last couple of years, started throwing out some seedlings. Area was too weedy last year to see it but found a plant still alive next to an unknown reddish flowering greggii/microphylla seedling that has also survived (my last "older" one after the death of 'Maraschino' this year). They are both growing too close together & the reptans is in front of some much smaller plants & I know this got to between 3-4' tall.

Question, can it be transplanted without any issues or has anyone moved theirs?

[linked image]

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ward
(Login WardDas)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: Salvia reptans West Texas Form Question

May 16 2017, 8:33 PM 

It certainly is hardy, nine years at the park. While volunteer seedlings appeared none survived very long. By the time it bloomed most hummingbirds had departed.

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

May 17 2017, 6:06 AM 

I startrd out with one that I ordered from Rich Dufresne several years ago and last year i had several babies that I moved to various spots. They seem to have a better transplant survival rate the smaller they are. I have wanted to move my oldest one out of a corner I planted it in but I don't want to lose it so I have let it be. I have one very small clump that I broke off the parent last week while cleaning up dead stems. I stuck it in a pot of soil right away to see if it will make it.

To answer your question Joni, I think it can be hit or miss transplanting this salvia. You might want to cut out a small clump to transplant. That way if it doesn't survive you still have your original plant as insurance.

Ward has much better plants than I do so that is why his doesn't get much or any use. Mine may get a little more use by the juveniles prior to migration plus I do like the fountain like look of it.

Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Richard Dufresne
(Login RichDufresne)
Hummingbird lover 2013

May 17 2017, 10:21 AM 

Salvia reptans west Texas form has taproots. This makes sense, because it was collected by Pat McNeal in the Guadelupe Mountains which are located on the east-west border of New Mexico and Texas. The roots are long and narrow. If they build up too much at the bottom of my stock plants, even a repotting may not work. In the wild, their roots have to go deep for moisture, making them a rock garden type of plant.

My friend in western Massachusetts has an old clump that must be about a square yard by now.

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

May 18 2017, 12:06 PM 

Ours died after a few years, never to be seen again. With our moist, heavy soil, this is not a surprise. I did love the color of the flowers very much though (however, I don't ever remember seeing a hummingbird use it.) Joni, amazing that yours successfully reseeded.
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics