<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

What a gala! Very happy homecoming for the girlfriends!

May 17 2017 at 12:59 AM
Ann  (Login ahutch)
Hummingbird lover 2013

Went out around 2:30 for the daily hummer patrol/watch. Spotted one visit to the nectar feeder, then another. And on and on. Never have experienced such an overwhelming first day of my hummer season before. Finally came in about 6:30, four hours of bliss later. Bird visits every few minutes, two at a time and skirmishes! Some of this activity might just be birds on their way to more northerly destinations, but so much territorial posturing and in the favorite lookout positions lead me to be relatively certain that these are the birds that were here last summer.

I don't have much in bloom for them right now, a two foot square patch of pulmonaria 'Trevi Fountain' in dense, full flower. The Virginia Bluebells should have just opened last week, but the April heatwave had them popping three weeks early. While that was bad news, the l. 'Major Wheeler' has buds swelled and coloring up already. Today's bird visits included several an hour to the 'Major Wheeler' staring at and nosing the reddening buds.

If you looked at the garden as I went out today it seemed pretty barren, but within a half hour it seemed full to bursting, a veritable Eden. Oh, what magic they do!
Ann
Wauwatosa, WI
Zone 5

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Penny
(Login Pennytoo)
Hummingbird Moderator 2005

Re: What a gala! Very happy homecoming for the girlfriends!

May 17 2017, 5:38 AM 

Ann there is nothing better than that first arrival of the season. I don't have much blooming either but last year I let my eastern columbine reseed so I have several stand sprinkled around the yard all in full bloom. My coral bells and my dwarf red buckeye are both ready to pop and I also have a few feeders.
Penny
N.Ton.,NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
North_Tonawanda.gif

Kathi and Michael Rock
(Login kathirock)
Hummingbird Member 2006

Re: What a gala! Very happy homecoming for the girlfriends!

May 19 2017, 1:03 AM 

Ann,

What a delight this scenario must have been!! There is nothing better than the hummingbirds returning in the spring and the start of a new season. Enjoy!!

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
TinyPic image hosting site
TinyPic is a free picture hosting site (ad supported) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Tinypic link above; Browse for your picture; Select and Open; Upload Now; Copy the Direct Link for Layouts; Paste that code in your message.

Postimage hosting site
Postimage is a free picture hosting site (with some ads) and is not associated with this forum.

To use: Click on the Postimage link above; Browse for your picture by clicking on Choose Image.; Select your image and Open; Highlight and Copy the Hotlink for website ; Paste that code in your message.

PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER SITES:
Feathered Friends The Butterfly Forum The Brugmansia Forum

map_v2.png?u=h2sm&d=9lixPygMc1t0CHHPqCRs

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

The Hummingbird Forum was founded on September 15, 2005
Keeping hummingbirds alive in cold weather
web analytics